The Crowd Sourcing Competition [Round 49]

There is a rail on the rear, but it is very difficult to see against the dark green paintwork I chose. Anyway, congratulations to the top five - you may have your work cut out deciding between them!

I’ll gladly take that. I understand that my design may have ended up looking a bit more exciting or sporty for the demographic you’re trying to go for. Thanks for the neat and clear reviews, appreciate it.

The final 5

5th place
Knightwick OX

Overall a really nice design, but in this group it’s a bit too much like a van and also the design just isn’t luxurious enough. This vehicle would make sense as the smaller model in a 2 mpv range, with the 3rd row only needing occasional use.
I am a massive fan of the roof however, it is the best roof design of any of the submitted vehicles

4th place
Knightwick Servant

Weird name aside this is a good conservatively designed luxury mpv Overall the design seems a bit American for me though. I would rather the indicators be only built into the light units and not be on the bumpers aswell.

Top 3

3rd place is the Epater, overall a very exciting and modern design. I really like the use of oval shapes in the lights and rubbing strips. The separate sections for the tail lights is certainly a differentiator compared to the other cars. It’s only negative is that in this top 3 it’s the least prestigious of the cars.

2nd place is the Stellar. Choosing between the top 2 cars was very difficult as they are both great designs in different ways. The use of circular headlights and an old fashioned grille shouldn’t really work on such a modern mpv body but somehow this looks great. I could probably do without indicators on the front bumper and beside the headlights but that’s my only complaint about the front. The lower bumper design, side skirts and visible exhausts give a sporty modern update to the styling.

1st place is the Royal Gloriana. This is every part the luxury mpv. It looks prestigious without being overly flashy or with too much chrome thrown about the place. The design would definitely appeal to the conservative buyers i am targeting

Congatulations to the winners, sorry this took me so long to get written up.

10 Likes

Sup!

First of all, thank you Martin for hosting this round! It’s hard for me to shy away from designing vans of various shapes and sizes.

I am willing to host the next round which will not directly deal with vans, but will involve a manufacturer that makes plenty of them - Mei Ling

9 Likes

Yea! Top 5 for the first time in all these years of playing. That’s gotta be worth something…:joy:

CSC25 - WUZHOU EXPORT [五洲出口]

Q1 2020

///

WUZHOU, GUANGXI AUTONOMOUS REGION, PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA

///

Mei Ling has been running strong in Wuzhou and through the rest of China since the early '80s. Their most successful vehicle so far has been the QY-Series SUV - a staple workhorse for the region’s working class.

Initially partsourced from the Mitsubishi Pajero, the full-size SUV has long evolved from its history of rusty frames and snapping brake lines, while the ancient 4.0-litre inline 6 has been replaced by smaller inline 4 and v6 units.

Simultaneously, the SUV has also inched further towards being a bit more on the comfortable side than just purely barebones, for the sake of reeling in sales from the middle class family.

It is now 2020 and the 7-year refresh cycle of the QY-Series is now a year overdue. The department has been swamped with work on a new compact crossover, while juggling the rest of the other model year refreshes at once.

TASK & SUGGESTIONS

Wuzhou Mei Ling Automotive Corporation is seeking design concepts internationally to obtain inspiration for the next QY-Series, codenamed “QY7”. This is purely a design round. Suggestions are as follows:

1. The design should emanate a sense of ruggedness from it. Mei Ling’s QY-Series is widely used in emergency, construction and delivery fleets which need to go off-road more than usual. Do NOT make a straight-up family crossover OR OVERDO THE OFFROAD ASPECT.

2. This is a vehicle that will be priced as high as 160,000 CNY (~23,000 USD; 30,000 CAD; 17,800 GBP). It is expected to look like a CHINESE car in that price range, which still manage to look upscale in said range regardless. In other words, don’t skimp out on the chrome and don’t be afraid to use LED elements here and there!

3. The Mei Ling QY-Series is a mid to full-size SUV about the size of a Prado. The newest QY-Series platform will consist of a ladder framed double-wishbone front, solid axle rear, suspension setup with 4-wheel drive. Note that it will also have 7-8 seats in it. Make it look the part with respect to these.

4. Don’t go too avant-garde with the design, but definitely don’t go too conservative either. This is a balancing act which is hard to pin down specifically what I want. Gut check will tell you everything.

5. Research, research, research! Autohome and XCar both have wonderful websites for newer Chinese cars. The likes of the GAC and Haval are only scratching the surface of what is in the oversaturated Chinese SUV market.

6. Make the vehicle look modern. If it looks like a retro facelift, you’ve got the whole idea wrong.

7. This round will be judged holistically. Don’t focus on these with a toilet paper roll. Just consider them to guide you in the right direction

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

The vehicle MUST be on an SUV body which can comfortably house 8 seats. The SUV body used on the 2nd gen is the typical approach but if you can make something work on something else, surprise me.

Follow the naming convention as per usual:

Model: CSC25 - [YOUR FORUM USERNAME]
Trim: Mei Ling [YOUR DESIGN FIRM NAME] QY7 Concept
Engine: CSC25 - [YOUR FORUM USERNAME]
Variant: FREE

DM the .car file to me and post a photo of your design as a reply below. It helps to look at the design for first impressions.

PAST MODELS AND INSPIRATION

Past models of the QY-Series and other Mei Ling vehicles can be found on the Mei Ling forum.

Their latest model is the 2015-present XR5, but DO NOT use it as a design guide for obvious reasons.

Other inspirations can be found from the search results of this Autohome query, as well as this XCar entry.

The badge is very easy to make. It’s essentially a square and thick vertical centreline in a circle.

And some photo inspirations too.

SUBMISSIONS OPEN NOW AND WILL CLOSE ON FRIDAY JANUARY 24 AT 20:00 EST

20 Likes

Can you provide visual examples of this type of vehicle acting in emergency/fleet operations?

I don’t specifically have videos of emergency or fleet vehicles, but expect it to be scaling terrain like this:

…or as extreme as this:

…most of the time, this is the case:

Otherwise, it’ll probably be on pavement, gravel or mud

4 Likes

Cool. I’m just trying to come up with some clever utility-based features I can add to the design, civilian or not.

So uh. Something like this i guess.

Zephorus QY7 Concept

Not just any SUV

Something about T's and C's (the car isnt "finished" yet) etc
6 Likes

Mei Ling QY7 Prototype by LaVelle Studios

8 Likes

Mei Ling QY7 by Atera Studios

5 Likes

Mei Ling QY-7 Concept (Nanjing Corporation Design)

15 Likes

Mei Ling QY-7 Prototype by Huang-Zhao Company

1 Like

Mei Ling QY-7 Concept by Decarlis

3 Likes

Mei Ling QY7 Concept by Tristella Design House

I did what I could.

15 Likes

Love this car dude!

FAROX SOARS ABOVE THE COMPETITION

Chinese: Farox乐于在使用新设计技术,墙面元素和全新史诗般的美灵QY7概念上尽其所能,尽全力!
它忠实于其坚固,功利的根基,并具有现代的光彩。

English: Farox is happy to give their best shot at using new design techniques, off the wall elements and cool inspirations with the new Mei Ling QY7 concept! It stays true to its rugged, utilitarian roots and allows for a modern nationalistic flare.

More glorious ground images:

19 Likes

Hi guys!

As we near completion for this round, I am reminding the following people for certain things:

@titleguy1 entry submission
@HybridTronny entry submission
@DoctorNarfy photo reply

If your name is not listed, all is Gucci

You know have roughly 24 hours to submit any pending entries!

1 Like

its the shromet levine but its chinese this time

12 Likes