The Douche Meter

That’s interesting, because Nissan drivers over here are a mixed bunch (as are Nissan’s cars), sure. I get irritated by the occasional Qashqai and Juke, but I rarely have trouble with the likes of the far more common Micra. Go into the right/wrong area and you’ll come across the wannabe boy racer Pulsar club. Then the douche meter climbs rapidly.

Or, try taking the freeway home late at night and almost get cleaned out by the local JDM hoon event, which will almost invariably involve a Skyline (R32-34), an Evo (any generation except X), and/or an S14. Two of which are Nissans :stuck_out_tongue:

Douche rating: Solid 8 or 9/10

Why? Well. In my opinion, it gives a false impression of sportiness and speed. It’s supposed to be a sporty version of the Astra, and of course requires three extra letters to confirm that it is extra sporty (GTC).
HOWEVER
EVERY SINGLE MODEL of this car does 0-60 in over 7 seconds. The slowest models being the 1.6 diesel equipped ones, with 0-60 times ranging from 11.0 to 11.6 seconds. On the flipside, the quickest models are the ones fitted with the 200HP 1.6 Turbo. These all accelerate from 0-60 in 7.3s.
To sum it up, for £22,075 (approximately), what are you getting?
A car that isn’t even hardly fast in the traffic-light grand prix, let alone any real track.
A pig of a car that is around 1.4 to 1.5 tonnes.
A car that I’ve never seen driven by anyone but chavvy single moms who have them on lease.
A car that has an interior with a similar look and feel to an Vauxhall that is over a decade old…
And so on.
It’s properly sporty brother, the Astra OPC, is actually pretty good as it has all the required sporty bits like bucket seats and such, but that’s already a shitload more expensive from what I’ve seen.
Feel free to dispute my claims.

2 Likes

We have a lot of “Imitation sporty cars” in the US as I call them, and while the entire Vauxhall brand does not exist over here, that car does seem pretty douchey.
I would put it at a 7, because it’s not the most douchey thing in the world, but it’s getting there, and if something claims to be sporty, it better be sporty.

I agree with your assesment, but we should not be looking at the new Astras…

The old ones are magnets for imbeciles.
Particularly these three:

The SRI, the Estate and the old GTC.
The SRI’s are driven by boneheads who think the spolier makes the car faster (0-60 in 8.5 seconds, as average as it gets), the Estate’s tend to get tragically modified by people who think they’re driving some budget Slamvan or an M3 Touring replica and the GTC’s are driven in much the same way described by @Microwave, except its made even more ridiculous when the driver is trying to drive ‘quickly’ but could only get a diesel engined model, meaning it sounds like a sloth trying to blow its nose.

And it’s specifically these models. Why. Why can a car that looks so dull (aside from the brand new one which doesn’t look half bad) be attractive to such idiotic people.

1 Like

I could’ve written about those models, and I was going to, but I felt that the newer model made more sense because you can’t buy them for like £500.

1 Like

I know next to nothing about the previous car. But I would state that from the outside looking in. I would rate the proper wagon a 1/10. But I know next to nothing about the SRI

The Crown Victoria!

The car was originally marketed to older folks as a comfortable, reliable car to drive to you’re grave.

That was up till it became ‘the’ police car of two and a half decades. Now most people who own Crown Victorias do so because they crave that Authoritative look. They want everyone to have to second guess if it is a cop or not. The others try to turn them into muscle cars. Due to this I would rate the Crown Vic, particularly the 1998+ a 8/10 on the douche scale. As few people own them for other reasons now.

2 Likes

[quote=“Lordred, post:26, topic:16528”]
reliable car to drive to you’re grave
[/quote] :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

As seen here!

It’s a shame though, because they were tanks that had a good deal of potential. When I have “lawyer money” ™, I’m going to buy the most recent one I can and drop a Coyote 5.0 in it and make it my daily driver/sleeper.

1 Like

I agree with the “1998+ is an instant 8/10” and because of the association with that, I’d probably rate your particular Crown Vic at 3/10 if for no other reason that association with what crown vics have become.

My Turn!

The Cavalier! Gm’s apology for the Chevette! It sounds like it’s constantly farting from the outside and rattles from the inside. That said, it’s perfectly functional and more comfortable than ford’s 4 dollar focus SE.

2 Likes

I’d give it a 1/10. A cavalier isn’t really a douchebag car, rather a car you buy if you cannot afford anything nicer.

So how douchey is a SEAT Leon? not very douchey in standard form maybe a 1/10 but start sticking Halfords modifications on it and start driving fast through the residential streets it becomes an 8/10, paint it with primer too and it becomes a 9/10 :laughing:

I am not a douche so my Leon will not turn into a ricer wannabe Cupra

1 Like

5/10. Its still a Seat.

Bus time!

This is the 2010-2014 Mercedes Benz W639 Viano 3.0 CDI. I know because I have a 2014. It’s a Van designed for carrying things that’s been converted for carrying predominately people and also things. It’s also a black Turbo RWD Mercedes. I’d say 4/10.
Go!

2 Likes

Any car with this symbol is 10/10 douche where i live.

9 Likes

I think that’s pretty much universal tbh.

1 Like

I have to agree on the BMW. Unfortunately, it is also mostly true in Australia. Well, I know some lovely non-douchebag people who happen to own a BMW but they seem to be the only ones :joy:

Sorry @squidhead, I chalk it down to the company you keep :laughing:

One day you’ll need me not to use my blinkers, and I WILL, and YOU’LL BE SORRY!

Also yeah, about 9 out of 10 people who own a BMW care about it’s badge more than they care about how it rides (which it does terribly by the way). People who got BMWs and are not douches are the ones that do not really care about the fact that it’s a bimmer, usually.

I think I have to agree with this one. In the US, Nissan Altima/Maxima/Rogue drivers are ridiculously douchy in their driving syles. Altima/Maxima/Sentra drivers are also douchy in their modding styles. I cringe whenever I see an Altima in my rear view, because I know they’re going to do something completely stupid. Juke drivers are usually just asshats in person.

EDIT: I guess I have to give a number. Averaging Nissans in general, I’m going to give them a 6/10 as a group.

I’m gonna put up my car, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO

(I do not have a picture of my actual car but this one is the same color and style minus the SHO on the hubcaps)
I’m gonna give this a 2/10 rating.
You get the performance engine in a sleeper style. Here is a normal Taurus for comparison.

There are a few sporty embellishments on the car but overall it’s not that different, similar enough that unless you’re actively looking you might not even notice it. (Especially since the cops will look closer at a passing Mustang rather than a Taurus)

While there are aftermarket mods people put on these cars (Even on regular ones) when you’re looking at a bone-stock Taurus SHO, you’ve got a great car that doesn’t show it off. My only qualm is the fuel economy is rather poor by comparison.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Cavalier is absolutely a douchebag car (or at least the potential to be one). This was the base model, 4 cylinder Chevy for decades, produced in the millions, and magnets for kids who want to add things like GT spoilers, extremely wide body kits, stanced wheels/rims, 100,000W stereo systems, gull-wing doors, and even things like fake bullet holes in the side, not to mention the plethora of decals made for this popular body. The average Cavy on the road is probably 1 or 2 of 10, but there are more than a handful of 8+ douchebag models!!

(Keep in mind, I drive the next generation, base model Chevy, and I get compared to the Cavaliers constantly with it)

I will let this stand, simply because you have only shown a picture of a 5-door hatch. If you include the Civic Coupe/Sedan, you’re fucked on your rating.

Yep! I love BMWs BECAUSE they are douchy! That being said, they also have douchy drivers behind the wheel 90% of the time.