The Douche Meter

had to be said daffy, sorry about your 530i :slight_smile:

And here I was thinking you hadn’t spent much time in Springvale or Broadmeadows…:smile:

@strop

I love how much Aus and NZ are similar with shitty car culture.

Mate, I’ve spent a lot of time in Broadie (done some work there). And the drunk bogan I saw stuff his gold Falcon ute doing a burnout was in Melton. And I’ve worked and lived in the West in general, like, Footscray, St Albans for like five years… so yeah you know, I’m know the area :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Fayeding_Spray somewhat, except we don’t see nearly as many JDM imports with actual JDM designation.

1 Like

Admittedly, as soon as I bought it I started parking like a douche… (not on purpose, it just HAPPENS) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn you modern cars and your shitty visibility.

At first I was like why the hell does a Civic need a reverse camera. Now I get it, boy do I ever get it.

I am very conflicted whether I should say “You still call them “broads”?”, or just giggle inappropriately…

NA MX-5s are currently “boy racer” cars on this side of the ditch due to the stratospheric pricing of Nissan S-chassis cars, which can no longer be imported for road use.

As one owner of an MX-5 race car told me: “every skid kiddie thinks he can buy an MX-5 and turbocharge it for $2000.”

NBs and NCs aren’t affected by this.

here a stock NA miata costs anywhere between 3-5 grand, though low mileage and expect a minimum of 7 grand

6 months and 12K later in parts services and repair costs they usually end up on Craigslist :joy:

Well that clown on carthrottle did, look how that one ended up :smiley:

1 Like

I’m just going to put it out there and admit that I was sorely tempted to attempt exactly the above (minus the throwing it around Nordschleife, that’d cost more than 2K for me to get there).

But of course there’s such a thing as research and learning from others’ mistakes :laughing:

Well his lessons should’ve been

Lesson #1 - Do not ghetto your build
Lesson #2 - If your engineering background is fisting exhaust pipes (yeah, really), then you should not attempt ANY build.

2 Likes

You absolutely can turbocharge MX-5s for cheap, it’s all about how much time and effort you put into it, how much hack-ass engineering you conduct and how good of a car you had in the first place. Look up Ricermiata on YouTube, he turboed his car for cheap and hasn’t had any (major) issues. Not even running a tune yet, either, because it’s only running 7 or 8 Psi.

But of course you can get away with bolt on if you’re not going to run serious turbo. The moment you want to run more, that’s when things changing a lot.

Still, 8 PSi is boosted! :smiley:

So is strapping a leaf blower to your air intake. That doesn’t mean you’ll get any truly serious power out of it.

Basically it’s not much of a counterexample if the extra power you make doesn’t even compensate for the extra weight you chucked onto it :stuck_out_tongue:

Running an 8 psi intercooled turbo will make you plenty of power tho