Things You've Heard Non-Car People Say

That is plausable for some engines I guess… but he was looking at a Diesel, and he couldn’t find the spark-plugs, so he asked me where they are. He didn’t mistake glow plugs for spark plugs.

The next week, he calls you complaining that the engine blew up, and now it won’t start, and he put in good gas, so what the hell is the problem :joy:

Disclaimer: I know shit all about how a diesel engine actually works

2 Likes

oh yeah that logic. that passed me. true.

but i was thinking, maybe he got used to seeing a diesel with glow plugs, that confused him when he saw a diesel engine without glow plugs.

Actually now that I thought about it for a bit, I recall him saying “those are some weird spark-plugs”… while referring to the injectors of an OM617… and when I told him that those are the injectors, he asked me where the spark-plugs were.

I was disappoint.

4 Likes

Actual question. What is that black box above the head?
And that looks like mechanical injection. But is it?

So not long ago i was having lunch and a lancer with aftermarket exhaust and evo kit (evo wannabe so i would call it a lancerlution) passes by , and i heard this dude beside me saying ‘’ look at that evo , how cool it is’’.

smh…

2 Likes

Nah deisel, mech injection works similar but general MI injects into the intake manifold deisel injects into combustion chamber. And the black box looks like some type of maf sensor but i am not a deisel guy so i may be wrong

This is one of my favourite cringe moments:

Not coz the Veyron drove into a lake (edit: and not even because it also was done ttly on purpose for attempted insurance scam), but because “I’m pretty sure it’s a lambo dude” like what :joy:

3 Likes

This video just gets worse the longer you watch it.

[spoiler]oh, and it has nothing to do with butts, really[/spoiler]

1 Like

explaining that a throttle body replaces the carburettor.

…is it bad that I thought that a throttle body is a part of a carburetor? To be honest I’m not even sure if I know what I throttle body is now… Isn’t that the bit that opens up when the throttle cable is pulled?

the last part is correct. a throttle body is the part that controls the throttle valves/pistons and a few sensors.
well not bad, but, it’s a good time to learn now.

on multi point injection system, and direct injection. the throttle body just houses the throttle valve.
but on single point injection, or sometimes also called, throttle body injection. it literally just replaces the jets and other fuel supplying part with an injector. it’s somewhat an electronic carburetor.
(not electronically controlled carbs, those are another different monster to tackle)

We used to have a 13 Nissan Pathfinder, and had to take it to the shop quite a bit due to various things. One of the biggest was when we were on mountain roads putting it in low wouldn’t do much if anything.

Me: I can’t get it to do any engine braking, it wont downshift when I put it in low
Sales person who just walked up half way through the conversation: Do you know how to use the brakes?
Me: They overheated because the transmission wouldn’t down shift when I put it in low.
Sales Person: Blank stare

Different time same place
Me: I can’t get it to do any engine braking, it wont downshift when I put it in low
Service Tech: That’s not how a CVT works, they don’t have gears.
Me: Yes I know. It has a range of gear ratios, but it won’t go into a lower gear ratio when I put it in low.
Service Tech: The CVT will feel different than a normal automatic.
Me: Blank stare.

5 Likes

My mom thought that when the fans for the radiator turn on that it might have been the air conditioning turning on by itself… even though the vehicle she noticed it on didn’t even HAVE airconditioning or heating…

“I found an amazingly great deal on a slightly used 3 Series. It’s located in Lithuania. Gonna go there and pick it up”

4 Likes

For 8 years, my mother has had to put up with my car obsession, and occasionally, she tries to get into it just for my sake, often with disastrous and hilarious results.

She daily drives a 2001 MX-5 Miata, and loves her car very much. Whenever she sees another Miata driver, she always waves to them and they usually wave back. However, she isn’t the best at identifying cars, and has mistaken Honda S2000s, Nissan 350Zs, Porsche Boxsters, and even Jaguar XKs for Miatas. Whenever we’re in the Miata together and she sees one of the aforementioned cars, I usually have to stop her from waving to them.

However, her funniest moment was a couple of years ago, in the parking lot of a Costco, where we had parked next to a gorgeous black Porsche 911 Turbo. I stood there admiring it for a couple minutes, and then we went inside the store. When we came back out, I pointed out that the 911 was gone, and my mom said “No it isn’t.” She then proceeded to point to a black 2008 Honda Civic sedan that was parked in the same spot that the Porsche had previously occupied. Needless to say, I lost most of the faith I had in her.

Update: She caught me typing this, and then made this contribution:

“I think the tire is the thing you buy and the wheel is the thing that came with the car. Or is there no difference between wheels and tires? They’re both round!”

7 Likes

God Bless the EU :joy:

Could be me :joy:

If the deal is good enough to justify a trip to there, why not :smiley:

You may find sketchy stuff in Lithuanian market though. Apparently there’s a huge business of importing salvage title cars from the US and fixing them up, making them appear nice and clean.

It’s a very common story that someone buys a car from Lithuania to find out later that it had been totaled in a crash… or a flood victim… or welded together from two different beaters.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

1 Like

How about a van with Nanny MacPhee struts?

The amount of Lithuanian big-rig truckers who come into Norway in winter on long-haul trips with summer tyres is genuinely astonishing. Something tells me they’re not very good with cars, except when it comes to devious ideas :yum:

1 Like