Things You've Heard Non-Car People Say

Things you’ve heard non electric car people say XD

WELL on the flip side, I wonder just how many Tesla owners would know that much about their cars either…

Or Volt owners. Or MiEV owners. Or…

assuming someone’s actually bought a MiEV

4 Likes

I admit, I don’t live in Norway, so my sample space of n = 1 (i.e. the poor sap that has to drive a certain company car in Ballarat, country Victoria), isn’t exactly the most convincing of evidence :smiley:

Too many people in Norway own them. Still, majority of EVs are Leaves here, which are somehow on the same price range as the Mitsu iMIEV. I think you know which is the better choice. So for some reason the iMIEV is produced in even lower trims levels by Peugeot and some other company that is ruining their reputation

For some reason in the past few months, I’m seeing more and more Leafs on the road.

Just Why. They were never here before, and now I see at least one a day.

Cos they all feel out of the trees when autumn came :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I still don’t understand how the MiEV is so expensive, when they still sold it here in Finland (they quickly realized no-one wanted that trash) it was over 31.000€ while a Zoe is 32.000€, a Leaf is 34.000€, and a bmw i3 is 39.000€.

All of those even being priced that high and ridiculous are still much much better value than the MiEV, considering an equivalent car to the MiEV with the same space and spec is about 12.000€

1 Like

probably decided by the same people who sat around the marketing table and concluded that boxy electric cars with no performance from bad 80s concept renderings was sexy AF

Like let’s take those other electric car examples and compare the prices of normal cars with same space and spec.

BMW i3: 39.000€ - Similiar: 35.000€

Renault Zoe price is nearly as bad franklly but at least it’s somewhat desirable and usable

Nissan Leaf: 34.000€ - Similiar: 27.000€

Tfw a BMW is the best value (relatively)

Just wondering, did you mean to type turbo or supercharger? You did say “generate boost according to engine speed” which is how a supercharger works, and are more commonly thought of giving boost instantly.

I’m a fan of the “Cadillac converters”

3 Likes

Superchargers are driven by the engine, yes, but turbos are not mechanically connected like regular superchargers.

1 Like

Autumn, probably

9 Likes

Both produce boost relative to engine speed. Since turbochargers are driven by exhaust gases, they will need higher velocity from the exhaust header to sustain peak boost (this varies depending on compressor and turbine size, as well as a/r ratio, but you still need to know where in the engine’s powerband to go to really kick up the boost. and even then, turbo lag is still a thing, so it’s not instantaneous).

1 Like

The problem with a turbo is that it can boost itself, that is why you need wastegates.
If the wastegate is to small, you can get a “runaway” boost, exceeding the max boost the engine can survive.

No, the turbo can’t “boost itself”, sorry.

The turbo kinda does boost itself but indirectly.

The amount of boost produced by a turbo depends on engine load (how much air is going through the engine.)

Since the turbo adds air into the engine, it raises the load, causing more boost until either the turbo cant cant push anymore air, or the wastegate engages. This is part of why turbos are such a pita to simulate.

Runaway turbos arent a thing though. If you have undersized wastegate issues and notice the turbo is pushing more boost than it should, releasing the throttle will prevent the engine from blowing up.

Exactly! So my throttle body is shut in it’s default position, eliminating any way of the turbo to feed air into the engine.

Also boost creep is an actual thing among idiot tuners, I’ve seen people weld WG shut to get some of that extra sweet boost. Melted pistons ensued.

2 Likes

Yes, but Superchargers are driven directly by the engine and their speed is always directly proportional to the speed of the engine, turbos as you said are driven by the exhaust gasses which just happen to be faster at higher engine speeds.