This is the Police - The Pilot [Submissions Closed - Reviews Pending]

So I figured I’ll give a go to hosting my own challenge competition thing. If it works out and people like it, there will be more like this. The gist is: police from a specific area are looking for new cars to suit their needs and you, the automotive company, will be trying to win a tender.

Hetvesian Police Looking for New Cars

This time it will be a fair tender, and definitely not awarded to the commissioner’s son-in-law. - Police Spokesperson

It is 1992 and Hetvesian Police precinct in [Insert City Name] are putting the sale of 30 new patrol cars out to tender, looking to replace their aging fleet. The expectations for the car are as follows:

Basic requirements

• The car will be operating in urban and suburban areas as a patrol vehicle

• The car must be able to accomodate two officers and at least one detainee (in separe seat row)

• The car must have at least 4 doors

• The car must have sufficient performance to engage in pursuit of criminal vehicles, as well as to respond to calls in a timely fashion

• [Optional] Capability to transport a K9 officer is welcome but not mandatory
    To qualify, a car must have one of the following:

1. full sized 3-person seat in back row - cage can be fitted in the back row, leaving only one place for detainee

2. a box of given size must fit fully in the trunk, between the back seat and the trunk door, without going through any part of the car exterior. The box shall be: 3.3 wide, 4.25 long and 3.3 high, and must fit in that exact orientation. Measurements are based on a real dog cage, slightly cut down due to sloped section.

Notes on Criteria

Drivability - the officers are trained individuals, which includes them being capable drivers. At the same time, they will be spending a lot of time in their patrol cars and it would be good if they didn’t have to wrangle it all the time

Sportiness - as stated earlier, the car must have performance to participate in pursuits and to get places fast. It’s not a race car though.

Practicality - The car is not expected to transport heavy loads, all that is needed is some trunk space for equipment

Comfort - It is no luxury car, but officers will spend a lot of time in it and it is best they don’t need a chiropractor because of it

Safety - This is pretty important. The car WILL get into collissions in line of duty and it should keep the officers as safe as possible.

Offroad - all the car needs to handle is going over a curb, some grass or particularly crappy road in the hood.

Economic factors

The cars need not only be bought, but also maintained. Factors to consider:
  • Fuel economy

• Service costs

• Reliability

• Ease of repair

Limitations

Model, Trim, Engine family, Variant year: 1992 or earlier

Fuel: 95 RON unleaded

Catalytic converter: Three-way mandatory

Tyre width must end in 5

Tech: default (+5 in all categories)
Abuse of quality sliders will not be looked at favorably, keep it between 5 and -5 unless you have a good reason

Realism and period correctness: I do expect reasonable engineering choices for the period and car type.

Race parts banned (including slicks)

Maximum loudness: 45

Note on visuals: You do NOT need to make it look like a police car, a civilian base is perfectly fine. As far as visual go, please no three-fixture-wonders.

Budget: You will note i give no budget limits. This is a tender, and police are looking for best bang for buck. The cost of your car will only be judged against the cost of other cars. Also note that you dont need to reveal the price to your fellow competitors.

I intend to open submissions on 17.06. Untill then its time to clarify and adjust rules and requirements.

Submission

model name/family: TTP-[yourname]

trim name: car name
variant name: engine name

To submit send your car to me via DM with TTP in message title and make a post in this thread with an offer/ad. Present the car and give us your best spiel on why your car in particular should be bought.

Submissions open till

2023-07-01T21:00:00Z

Also sorry for the atrocious formatting, but my HTML is rusty.

7 Likes

Showing pictures of a proposed police-spec version of the base car is allowed, though, and may well be encouraged.

1 Like

What about wagons that won’t fit 3rd row but are long enough? You probably would have enough space for K9 in a regular 5-seater wagon.

3 Likes

It doesnt need 3 rows. As long as the second row has a full sized 3-person seat (which isnt that difficult to achieve) its K9 compatible. It can transport one detainee and a dog when outfitted with the cage.

like this:

I will edit the wording to make it more clear.

Having a third row would allow for the cage to go in the back and still have a full row for detainee, yes.
As for regular wagon… Let me think if there’s a way “validate” ability to have a cage in the back, but I’m not sure there is one that would be completely clear case.

My suggestion: A 3’d cube set to a certain scale, to which one can compare if it fits or not. If it does, then it can have a K9 unit, and if it doesn’t, it can’t.

That… Is actually a good idea. Unless someone objects and proposes sth better, im going to set up dog-cage sized testing block dimensions.

Clarified the K9 bit and added “cage” dimensions.

3 Likes

Which cube should be scaled? You have to scale a cube, but there are multiple in the game.

1 Like

I can only see three, so assuming im not blind it would be the biggest of the three. A scale of 1 is approximately 20cm x 20cm x 20cm.

2 Likes

Given that the challenge is based in the early 90s, are the officers fine with manual transmission car? Or is automatic a strong and hard preference?

With comfort and drivability being priorities, an automatic transmission would most likely be preferable.

Does this include the High Flow variant or just the standard Three-way?

Also, is there any suggestions as to what interior choices to pick to represent the sort of equipment a police car would be equipped with?

The officers are accustomed to driving manual and it should pose absolutely no challenge for them. Some may prefer automatic, some may prefer manual, there’s no strong and hard preference.

I would be careful about using the word “priorities”. They are important factors, yes, but we’re not looking for a luxury car.

Both are included.

That is actually a good question. I was going with the idea that the department would install the non-integral equipment in a local workshop after getting the “police special” car from the factory, as is typically done IRL, from what I know. This would mean that there’s no need to simulate the added weight or cost, but at the same time, if someone has a good suggestion, I’m open to hearing it.

I already have a test mule ready, one that I could submit as-is when the submission period begins.

As for ideas for a sequel to this challenge, what if it were themed around high-performance interceptors, for catching suspects in faster cars that can easily outrun the main police fleet?

Interesting. Considering to deal better, i see some opportunities.
Mainly:

Those will probably be the only thing i actually work for lmao
The rest will probably be betterdeals spec. As usual.

3 Likes

PRIMUS ASTRONA POLIZEI

YAAAAWN! An Astrona base model. Plastic instead of chrome, a still somewhat comfortable but definitely not luxurous interior, ugly hubcaps… wait, is this a dual exhaust?

It is hard to spot what this thing is capable of. Sport-tuned suspension. Better tires. An engine that even slightly exceeds the output of a regular Astrona 200-16V. And it looks like a repainted Diesel Astrona taxi.

The current generation, on sale since 1985 and facelifted in 1989, is still one of the main undercover pursuit vehicles in Frunia and Hetvesia. The 180 GLX from Commissario Tiziano Laurenti shown here was involved in the arrest of 21 people last year, while Kriminalhauptkommissar Klaus Baltus in his 250tds GLS arrested even 33 delinquents. “The Primus Astrona is a main factor of the success of my unit”, says Baltus, who drives the Primus Astrona in service since 1986, with the 1990 250tds being his third since then.

Ask your fellow officers what they think about the Astrona.

4 Likes
1992 Ilaris Imperial S2800 Leopard GT
Hetvetsian Multi-Purpose Interceptor

With the rise of affordable sports saloons, to the likes of the Subaru Impreza WRX, and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, the common (and young) person has been able to afford devilishly quick sports cars. Most of these people don’t know what to do or how to handle such power, and are at risk of outrunning the police fleet. This will not do, we said at Ilaris.

Introducing the facelifted-for-1992 Ilaris Imperial Leopard GT. It is equipped with a 2.8-liter inline-6, turbocharged, delivering a blistering 285 break horsepower. The five-speed manual transmission allows the officer to accelerate to a hundred in a mere 5.9 seconds, and reach a top speed of 272km/h. It also corners like hell, on sports tires, allowing it to keep up with the heavy sports saloons in the twisties. It includes aerodynamics as well, to keep it stable at top speed on the highway, while large cooled brakes allow it to come to a stop without a fuss, even with a K-9 unit, equipment, and a detainee in the car.

Even though it is cornered by four 17" Ilaris Sport rims with wide, low profile tires, the inside is still an Ilaris Imperial, and is thus extremely cushy and spacious, allowing for the police officers inside to enjoy their work day, even during chases. (Police equipment stripped for better photography.)

While blisteringly fast, it still fits a K-9 unit in the rear, or other equipment that has to be called up at short notice. Yes, the vehicle’s speed isn’t exclusively for highway chases; the vehicle’s speed and agility make it perfect for rapid response, even for non-police activities, like first respondance work, or being called up at short notice in longer chases, or ones that have exited their vehicle and went on foot.

4 Likes

I just cooked up a test mule for this challenge, and created two versions of it: a general-purpose patrol trim with a smaller engine and more conservative suspension tuning, and a rapid-response version with a bigger, more powerful engine teamed with a sportier suspension setup, high-performance tires, bigger brakes, shorter gearing (with an extra ratio to boot) and a proper geared LSD. Considering how few entries have been revealed so far, however, I’m not sure which one to submit.

1 Like

My car is still reasonable but it’s faster than a real life German Police car of that time. It has around 160 horsepower.

2 Likes

The lesser version of my test mule is generally inspired by a contemporary Opel/Vauxhall Senator 3.0 24v (~200bhp 3.0L I6, RWD, wrapped in a big E-segment saloon body), but both versions are built on one of the '88 Indicator body sets instead of any of the '84 Commoner body sets.

1 Like