TMCC17- The Courier (submissions closed)

of course, glad that you found the feedback helpful!

3 Likes

Honestly dude,

First of all, while your engine is based on a real engine, no one has used the design since 2010 when Yamaha stopped producing the B8444S. While the engine may have found use in Volvos and even some supercars, that was 10-ish years ago. If anything, those V10s or V12s you mentioned might just be more realistic than a 60 degree V8 in this context.

Secondly, good luck finding a car in the E-segment that uses a 6-speed automatic in 2020.

If that’s your idea of realism, I want to visit your loopy world that’s stuck in 2010 and see it all for myself.

Thirdly, bitching and whining ain’t gonna change a thing. The host’s decisions are final. They have taken the time and effort out of their busy lives to decide who gets binned or not for a challenge run on Microsoft Excel Simulator 2020, and have given you reasons why they thought that your car had to be binned.

And like donutsnail said, relax. It’s just a game and while I do get that you’re new to the forums I also believe that your behaviour is incredibly immature and childish, and that’s coming from a guy that’s taking some time off his life to reply to you in this damned forum. Try understanding why the host binned your car. Try looking at real cars that aren’t ten years past their sell-by date. See what does or does not make sense for the challenge.

So much for being a field engineer. You sound like you’re twelve at most. And once again, cope.

Take care,

17 Likes

When I hosted CSR 137, I somehow allowed a car with a 60deg V8 to sneak into the top 10. Given that CSR 137 was set in 2018, long after the configuration had disappeared from most production cars, I would have rejected it had I known about how unrealistic it was in this day and age.

6 Likes

Exactly, though I might have also used a similar design well before 2010, I recall that I put a 6L 60 degree V8 in my entry to CSR136, but I may be wrong. Its unlikely as I did not get binned.

this is a good mindset
i should go do this

3 Likes

If “binned” means “rejected for a rule violation”, then you are right. However, it didn’t make the final round of judging for the following reason:

In other words, it was out of step with the client’s expectations for that round.

Actually, I participated thanks to the authority of vero, and the way he knows how to do spreadsheets. Thanks for being judged the old-fashioned way, it was very unusual.

As for the bins, I am not surprised, since here was appeared too many serious machines and the presenter simply wouldn’t have had the power to assess them all.

Edit: Also, realism is not listed at all in the list of priorities for the Challenge, and the car with the right name I suggested to you, just for the record.
Consequently, vero and debonair are removed from my list of those who know how to run a Challenges. Yes, by the way, you didn’t do a full analysis, you were looking for any violation.

For the record, that is the farthest I have gotten in any of these challenges.

@kalan

Either some things got lost in translation, or he overlooked the rules. I think it’s the latter.

Yes, I remembered that, but this point is not in the star rating criterions.

two things

first; as Stig pointed out, i did put a realism clause in the original post, not my fault you didn’t see it.

second; i told you that i wouldn’t be taking a resubmission after you messaged to tell me that you forgot the naming scheme to your entry, as i had already gone over it at that point.

same tbf hahaha!

Well, I must say that I sort of reacted against having realism bins for 60 degree V8s, they have been very unusual throughout history, yes, but there has been a few examples, mainly the Taurus SHO unit and the Volvo/Yamaha V8.

Yes, there is none in production at the moment, but that’s more due to the design being unusual, than being obsolete. That’s because mainly two reasons exists to make one, it can share some of the tooling and parts with a 60 degree V6, and it can fit in a narrower space (which came in handy in the transverse engined Taurus and Volvo), other than that a 90 degree V8 is a better and more logical design. The main reason that we probably never will see one again is that the ICE engine is a dying breed, not that the design has aged, and I would not object against an automation company still running it, for as example, lore reasons, and especially not now when we have the option of balance shafts.

But that’s just my own reflection, you might agree, or not.

7 Likes

Not to go completely into the weeds here, but I’d consider the 60 degree V8 and even more extreme example of a design of dubious benefits that was used heavily by one company, like VW’s VR6.

The Taurus SHO V8 is the Volvo Yamaha unit, so it’s still just one example. It was used specifically in transverse applications and, in my opinion, like VR6, it’s got benefits that make sense on paper, but had it been really a good option, there would have been more than one example in history. (And yes before people start playing the Got Ya! game, I know the VR6 was not the only V engine with a single head, Lancia’s V4 being the only other notable example.)

But pulling back to the real topic of this thread, as a host you often will look at design decisions that are hard to justify realistically as not the reason a car is eliminated, but rather something to tack on to a list of reasons why. Or alternatively, looking at two cars that are similar in quality, the one with less realistic decisions will lose out. I suspect the car that kicked this all off was not scoring well enough in the prioritized categories to be considered further, regardless of realism concerns.

5 Likes

Ok.

I think some people get the realism clause confused because they think of it as “do we have the technology, could we realistically make this part” rather than “is it actually being used in real life”. Sure we have the technology in 2020 to machine a 60 degree V8, but on in the same vein we also have the technology to put a phonograph in the dash. Fact is that in real life, neither of those two things is done. Knowing whether we have the tech to do it is easy (the game will basically tell you so), but knowing whether it’s realistic to use takes some research and knowing real life cars.

3 Likes

All good, dudes, points made, points taken. I’ve researched the 60 deg V8 extensively and they will continue to be used in my brands. Yamaha engineering has always been a guide for me, so if people don’t get it, I will ignore them. It’s like Tesla… people who know, know

If people want to bin let them, when I run a challenge I guarantee it won’t be similar. A spec runout of all cars will be shown, so true comparisons will be made, power BI style.

3 Likes

Good for you.

5 Likes

I look foward to your excel spreadsheet, good luck! :+1: