TMCC18 - Taksi Online

And meanwhile there’s the USA, where sales of SUVs and trucks has recently surpassed 80% of a given month’s new car sales. :)

But as stated before before, most of these “crossovers” really are just minivans/sedans/hatchbacks with slightly raised suspensions, a slightly raised cost, fancy plastic decorations, and virtually no performance differences from a regular car; buyers are mostly just paying extra to make their car look better. So in practice, a crossover makes most sense in a wealthy and developed region like the EU or US.

That said, there is one advantage of crossovers I’d like to point out; they’re easier to get in and out of. Which, for a taxi that’s going to be loading people in and out over and over again (some of whom will have mobility issues), is pretty nice. Given that, I’m pretty interested in how these MPV-based crossovers will do here.

2 Likes

Due to personal reasons and the fact that having the deadline in the middle of the week is rather inconvenient, the deadline for TMCC18 has been extended to Sunday, 29th May at 23.59 SGT (GMT+8)

New Countdown Timer

Resubmissions are still not allowed since there have been no game-breaking updates (yet).

To those that are still working on an entry, please read the rules and notes carefully so as to avoid any unnecessary instabins.

2 Likes

2019 Decarlis D10 VAN

To meet the needs of studios, Decarlis offers you this practical & welcoming van. Its two sliding side doors make life easier for its users. The interior layout guarantees its passengers journeys in a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere.

More pictures

13 Likes

(Slightly) more than 24 hours left!

I have received submissions from:

If your name is not on the list, please let me know.

Countdown Timer

Again, to those that are still working on an entry, please read the rules and notes carefully so as to avoid any unnecessary instabins.

6 Likes

2019 Mara Ekskurs 1.6 L

With the 4th generation of Mara’s KRB (Kanyon/Reyndzher/Bizon) SUV and ute family debuting in the early 2010s, the KRBs got two additional siblings: a panel van (the Kuryer) and a MPV. The latter was named Ekskurs for the 5-seat short wheelbase version and Rodyna (‘family’) for the long wheelbase 7 or 8-seat version. Both were a reaction to the demand moving away from traditional sedans and wagons for family use.

The short wheelbase 4th gen KRB (or rather, KRBKE) platform thus also ditched all remaining pretense of off-roading and was strictly engineered for FWD. Four driven wheels with off-road gear and tyres only remained options on the long wheelbase KRB (or rather, KRBKR) cars.

The cheapest short wheelbase KRBKE versions retained the previous generation’s engine (the much simpler SOHC Ekonovo 1.6 NA engine instead of the optionally t/c DOHC Efektyv 1.6 and 2.0), drivetrain (a 5-speed manual or automatic) and driver aids (with TC and ESP being mere options), all with roots in the 2000s.

For the planned streaming series, the Ekskurs’ automatic gearbox and the hands-free phone call option should allow a focus on the driver’s interaction with the passengers instead of the car controls, while the spacious cabin of the Ekskurs allows for a good variety in camera angles for the driver and the passengers.

2 Likes

Nevertheless, the more participants, the more red screens and instabins to left and right.
It seems to me that this round did not attract a large number of olders, so it was not a challenge for them.

Submissions are closed!

I have received additional submissions from:

If your name is not on the list, please let me know.

Thank you for participating, and I will release the results in the coming days.

6 Likes

Instabins

Ezion E2 1.0 Standard Plus

@BannedByAndroid

Imgur

Binned due to being overbudget by $3900.

144 Active Facelift

@Bbestdu28

Binned due to not following naming convention.

Declaris D10 VAN

@Arn38fr

Binned due to being overbudget by $500.

Final part coming soon^tm

5 Likes

Crap I reworked so much the engine i forgot to name it accordingly… I’ll be more careful next time…
My bad :sweat:

3 Likes

It’s not just the engine’s name, it’s also the car’s model name. In most cases, it’s supposed to be:

[challenge name] - [your forum name]

So, you’re supposed to name your car TMCC18-Bbestdu28 instead of TMCC18-BMA Vita +

Keep that in mind the next time you enter a challenge, so you don’t get instabinned.

4 Likes

Gotcha, i’ll keep it in mind. Good luck by sorting all the other contestant !

3 Likes

I agree, this is not surprising, in the process of rebuilding configurations can easily get carried away and forget to give a normal name.

Yeah, but those are the rules. Without them, I can only imagine what nightmare that would be to review every car and know who did what.

1 Like

Oups, I did it again…

Instabin (I forgot about this one)

Eris Vaqueiro Largo

@SheikhMansour

Exceeded loudness limit by 0.5

And now, onto the cars that didn’t break any rules.

Reviews

Mitsushita Zevol 1.5 J

@conan

The Zevol is a very well-engineered car. It is big and practical, and also efficient for its size. It is also the most comfortable car of the bunch. No complaints on that front. The exterior design leaves much to be desired however, with its rather awkward proportions. Lengthening the front overhang could help on that front.

Reduit W3

@kobacrashi

The Reduit is a small car, sure. But it also has a comically small engine, measuring at a measly 821cc. The engine itself is made entirely out of cast iron, which makes no sense in 2019. Overall the car does not give you much for its $19,000 price tag, except for variable electric power steering which is quite unnecessary in this context. There is also too much camber on the front and rear for a car like this. Exterior design is solid, no complaints there.

The interior looks okay, but is really nothing to write home about.

Peöne Zabelle 1.7

@ChemaTheMexican

The Zabelle is the opposite of the Reduit, having a very large 1.7 litre engine that isn’t too powerful for its size. Appearance-wise, it is chic, with an upmarket feel that I personally like. Yet, it has a basic interior and the least comfort out of all the entries.

The interior looks more “standard” than “basic” in my opinion. That aside, the interior doesn’t match up to the car’s upmarket external appearance. It looks too basic and dull, and a few splashes of colour could help make the interior look livelier or at the very least, more upmarket. Also, the pedals are flipped (with the throttle on the left and the clutch on the right)

FMC Casso 1.5

@Lanson

The Casso’s engineering is good, with everything placed where it should be. The only exception to this is the six-speed manual which while not completely unrealistic, is not something commonly found in this class of car. Vented rear disc brakes too. But considering that the car has such features, it is impressive that it is one of the cheapest in the competition, tying with the Yamada. The only thing that’s really holding the Casso back, however, is styling. The headlights and grille look like they have been squished together. A little spacing out can help.

As for the interior, it is generally good. I like the little details including the seatbelts and the centre console, which is angled towards the driver. However, I don’t think that wood is a thing for cars at this price point. In addition, the position of the front seats look rather awkward, and the rear seats look more at home in a much older car.

(Also, UK plates are yellow at the rear because UK law)

Ryoma Isogu XL Fleet

@noid5454

The Isogu is one of the smallest cars in this competition, partly because of the body itself which is based on a kei car. Styling wise, it looks good and feels modern. However, the long rear overhang and the lack of any kind of front overhang makes it awkward to look at from the side. The taillights could also benefit from wrapping around the corners of the body. Engineering-wise, the Isogu provides good fuel economy. However, the use of a fully cast iron engine is unrealistic for a 2019 car, and semi-active swaybars are an unecessary expense.

Despite its small size, the interior feels spacious due to the car’s tall, boxy shape. The lack of a centre console adds to the spacious feel, and would allow for easy access between the front and rear seats. The layout of the controls and all are good, but the lack of any colour besides grey makes the interior look dull. A little (fake) aluminium or non-grey fabrics would go a long way.

Tahirr Benevento

@Odyssey_Fan

Much like the Isogu, the Benevento is built on a kei car body. The engine has no balance shafts of any kind, and as such the engine could only rev to 5400rpm. Peak power is also at the 5400rpm. In addition, the brakes fade a lot and the wheels are tucked too far into the body, while the rims are huge for tyres of that diameter. The suspension tuning is also horribly out of sync.

As for exterior design, there is not much to say. The headlights are ancient and the rear bumper is sunken, meaning that in the event of an accident, the tailgate and whatever cargo it holds will protect the bumper and not the other way around. The exhaust sticks out like a sore thumb and so does the taillight which looks like it was simply tacked on. Not to mention that the front and rear license plates are different.

Faqqink MPV01 1600-16-5

@Mikonp7

The Faqqink MPV01 has a Faqqink big cast iron engine, measuring exactly 1600cc. Other than that, the engineering is good although the brakes suffer from some fade and fuel consumption is quite high. Some of these flaws can be forgiven however, since the MPV01 is the cheapest car of the bunch. In terms of exterior design, the MPV01 is exactly the kind of car that I had in mind, being similar to a Toyota Avanza and other cars in that class. The plastic cladding makes for a crossover-like appearance which is also quite popular in this segment of car. Overall, very nice.

The general design of the dashboard is very fitting for a car in this day and age, with its large centre screen and climate control dials. Some vents would be nice beause, well, where else would the cool air come from?

Matsuma V-xl7

@mart1n2005

On the other hand, the Matsuma was certainly something that I did not expect. Unlike other entries, it is based on an actual van. That isn’t to say that the car is bad though. In terms of engineering, it is solid and does well in most aspects. In fact, the Matsuma has a grand total of seven seats which makes it by far the most practical car out of the bunch. Fuel economy is on the thirsty side but this IS a van after all. As for exterior design, the van looks thoroughly modern and quite adventurous despite not having as much cladding or crossover accessories as other entrants. Very good overall.

GSI Noma

@oppositelock

The Noma is a futuristic, cute little box. And with its Jeep-esque wheels, roof rack, and side markers, the Noma is just one step away from becoming a crossover. My only complaint is that the taillights are all mounted on the tailgate, but that’s just a nitpick. The interior looks rather futuristic despite being made out of 80s parts and feels quite premium. Still, for a 2019 car with basic infotainment, an actual screen and climate controls would be preferred over the trip computer that the Noma has.

The Noma has the best fuel economy out of all the entrants (even with an automatic transmission), given its small dimensions and low weight even among its kei car-sized brethren. But because of its low weight, it has the lowest safety of all the entrants. No biggie, though. Overall, the Noma shows that good things come in small packages. And at a price, given how small that package is.

Yamada X-Kreatif 1.2 i-NDi

@variationofvariables

Motoaki Tanigo my father. Much like the Faqqink, the Yamada is exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the idea for the challenge, albeit with a lot of plastic cladding. The Yamada looks good overall, and has that distinctive Asian feel that makes it look at home in Southeast Asian roads. No complaints in the exterior design department.

The interior, much like the exterior, just about nails it. Cheap plastics in THAT shade of grey and beige, the AC vents, the tacked-on cupholders, etc. The interior is also chock-full of little details including, but not limited to, the ShART/STOP button, parking brake pedal, dome lights, speakers, etc. A very good effort with results that speak for themselves.

In terms of engineering, it is more good news. The Yamada has the highest drivability and among the lowest fuel consumption. The use of electric variable power steering isn’t very necessary but then the Yamada is one of the cheapest cars in the competition, tying with the FMC and losing only to the Faqqink. Yes my dark!

Saidenki Attra Fleet

@EnCR

Unlike other cars in the competition, the Attra has mixed head/block material, with an iron block and an AlSi head which is certainly more realistic than any full-cast iron engine. Engineering is good overall with the lowest service costs compared to other cars with automatic gearboxes.

In terms of exterior design, the Attra certainly has a European feel to it. While the rear side looks great with the sharp taillights and rear glass, the car looks almost too bland when viewed from the front quarter angle, as if it were missing something. That is not to say that the design is bad however, as it is still better-executed than most other entrants.

Mara Ekskurs 1.6 L

@AndiD

Last but not least is the Ekskurs. The engine, as with anything above 1.5l, is quite big for this segment. However, despite displacing 1.6l it is rather underpowered for its size. The engine could have also been tuned for 92 RON instead of 91. Other than that, the car is alright from an engineering standpoint.

The exterior design leaves much to be desired. The lines of the lower grille and running lights do not match up with the rest of the car, making them look quite awkward. The mirrors are also outdated, while the pieces making up the taillights don’t match up with each other.

…and now that you have read the reviews, it is time for the results.

Rankings

If it wasn’t obvious from the way I wrote its review, @variationofvariables and his Yamada X-Kreatif 1.2 i-NDi are the winner! Offering good performance (where it matters) and value for money, it is only right that a cabbie would choose the Yamada for work and personal duties.

2nd place - @mart1n2005
3rd place - @oppositelock
4th place - @EnCR
5th place - @Mikonp7

Thank you for participating. It was a pleasure to host this round, and I will be looking forward to the next round.

Spreaded Sheets

19 Likes

Loved doing this challenge, definitely harder to do an on-budget shitbox than anything else really! and congrats to the winner!

4 Likes

Ahem the “wood” is fake hydro dipped plastic of course. Ala Nissan and Hyundai style.

Also nice spreadsheet! If we get good at this and have a central repository, filtering cars in the competition and creating a color-coding and such from the variables would make the effort easier. You are taking in even more information than I am, which leads me to wonder if we could work on a .car file script that auto-populates a row of columns for us.

3 Likes

SEAman wins a challenge set in South East Asia, what a surprise!

Since I’m more or less free for the month, I’ll see if I can get a round up by the weekend. I’m planning something a bit more experimental but I’ll probably have to ask other people what they think about such an idea first.

Loved the premise and making a car for this one!

6 Likes

Not that I know what you are planning, but I think that TMCC and AGC more than well can be somewhat experimental. If not, we end up with going around in circles with the same few concepts every time, hero car, villain car etc…

New round is up, let’s see how this one goes!

3 Likes