TMCC23: The Pair

Sort of? It’s more that the front and back are almost pure right angles while the rest of the car is quite flowing, and the massive haunches combined with the quite aggressive upsweep on the rear bumper make it look like its been pre-rear ended. The car itself doesn’t really look any worse than the rest of the field outside of that, but it’s just a bit of a disjointed feeling design.

I knew I pulled a wildcard, so I am honestly positively surprised by getting such a good review in the end. :slight_smile: I was a bit inspired by Cadillacs of the era technically, hence the somewhat uncommon FWD V8 layout.

Heyyy… ill take 2040 lol.

I swear it wasnt supposed to have that oversteer warning tho😒

To me, the best price to pay for hard work is high stakes. If a person earns 40k, and works for 400k, this is unfair and unright. Crinching is a new trend of digital slavery of the 21st century. Be carefull - do not overworking.

You may be right. The generally rectangular fixtures that make up the main styling features (upper grille/headlights, taillights/license plate holder and lower grille/fog lights) are out of step with the flowing curves of the body I chose, especially after I manipulated the morphs the way I did for my entry.

This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to do with my QFC13 entry a while ago, but done better.

I see why it didn’t work in this competition, but it’s otherwise a very cool design!

2 Likes

Yeah, should’ve seen that coming, lol. Fair play. Didn’t think about that it was on the Wrangler body, and so despite being a convertible, it’d still be an SUV. Good luck to the rest of the field!

I honestly thought my car looked bland as hell compared to the competition…so a concept from 2040 is pretty cool😎

Holy zombie thread. I thought my boomer lampooning was long forgotten.

That really does look like a slightly warmed over copy-pasta though. Not that I have never recycled an entry :point_right: :point_left:

Ill admit it, I did just happen to be working on this car as this challenge hit, and I will also admit that I didnt really look at the stats. I am glad that I now have a bit of lore to go on, with the reviews saying its expensive, loud and uncomfortable, itll be perfect for the wiki. Dont worry, the next gen of the Callamester is a soulless sedan

Judging round 2

Undisclosed location that totally isn’t the ABC studio carpark, Australia

David and John have gathered their 7 shortlisted cars for driving, camera, and audio tests. They’re joined by lead actor Jacob Braithwaite, and Casandra Briggs, who plays his love interest in the show (and is a massive car nut).

David and John will be leaving production related notes, while Jacob will be leaving notes on style and Casandra will be handling the driving aspects, all of which will be sent to ABC head office for them to make a final choice.

The Basilio GT6

David: Not the most comfortable of cars, but the great fuel economy and cost look good on the balance sheet and the quiet engine is a dream for the audio team.

Jacob: Slightly odd quirky European looks, still something I could see myself driving around in. Looks a touch dated, but is still appealing.

Cas: Unbelievably easy to drive, let down a bit by its low power. You can feel that it’s the lightest car here but that doesn’t really translate that well. Still accelerates quite well and has a decent top speed, though.

The Durendal Nighthawk

David: Great fuel economy, the same as the Basilio despite having a larger V8 that makes more power. Also remarkably quiet despite that, but the extra ~$5k for not a lot extra could be a hard sell to accounting.

Jacob: Great burly Aussie looks from the front, falls apart at the back, being too squinty with massive areas of not much happening.

Cas: Makes almost 60kW more than the Basilio, weighs about 200kg more, and drives… basically the same. Definitely a more comfortable place to be, and it’s FAST to 100, the fastest here, but is otherwise largely the same.

The Deer And Hunt SuperCoupe SuperRoad Convertible

David: Competitive price, average just about everywhere else. While being a convertible is a definite boon for the crew, the rather loud engine offsets that a fair amount. The bean counters will hate to hear that the drop top makes it have the highest cost to fix when something inevitably goes wrong on set.

Jacob: Quite easily one of the top two cars style wise, and could even pretty convincingly be called the best. Convertible is always cool, and it just looks like a mean, burly hero car, even if it is decidedly American.

Cas: You do hear a lot of the lovely exhaust note, but sadly being a convertible seems to hold it back more than anything. Second hardest car here to drive, among the least comfortable, and far and away the least nimble. It may work with movie magic but it’s not a believable crook chaser.

The FMC Contester “Five-Six” (Widebody)

David: Solid car modified by the manufacturer, their pitch even includes a villain car! With alright comfort, an engine a bit on the noisy side, not a massive amount of space for kit, and the second highest price, it’s really a bunch of averages saved by better than expected fuel economy. Acquisitions is probably going to shit themselves when they find out how much the 305 tyres cost to replace!

Jacob: Very slick looks, but they look a bit too much like a mass produced “modified” car. Definitely cool, but lacking the showy-ness you’d expect from a modified car.

Cas: VERY quick, fastest in a straight line even. However the big power lead over everything else means it’ll shred those big expensive tyres, and the tyres themselves make it the hardest car here to drive. Impressively nimble despite all that, though.

The Valiant Talon LT-ram package

David: Rather competitive pricing can’t help the average fuel economy and least comfortable ride here. Engine noise is decent, however, and it’s not too bad to fit kit in once you squeeze in.

Jacob: Pretty easily the most dated looking car here, but it absolutely oozes performance and cool. Some kind of odd looks around the back notwithstanding, it’s the sort of thing you could see a junior detective buying to project cool on a bit of a budget.

Cas: Quite easily tied for the most nimble car here, the rough ride can be off-putting but the car’s still easy to drive and about mid pack in terms of speed.

The Arlington Archprince ASC-300

David: The most expensive car here and also the most comfortable by a huge margin. Its yank barge ways means there’s a ton of room for equipment inside, and while it’s unexpectedly economical it still reminds you it’s American by being a bit too loud.

Jacob: Very burly and menacing looks, but the overwhelming size does detract a bit from it. Looks are extremely American and maybe not to Australian tastes, but that could help export the show.

Cas: One of the slower cars here, but still not at all slow. Very American driving manner, with a very good amount of power, not much in the way of nimbleness, relative ease to drive (although surprisingly low compared to some of the other cars) and unbelievable comfort for this class of sports sedan.

The Swanson 437SC

David: The other quirky Euro, price is the upper end of the middle of the pack, and the economy is great. While there’s a decent amount of room for kit, the boxer’s an absolute screamer, this is the loudest car here. The odd proportions would need careful camerawork to not look strange.

Jacob: Strange proportions, dated looks, yet somehow it’s still quite cool. The back looks extremely wide, especially compared to the front, but it’s all a sweet, harmonious look still.

Cas: Up there with the Valiant for nimbleness, and up there with the Basilio for driving ease, the middling comfort puts a dampener on an otherwise great car. The screaming B6 doesn’t help, but it’s also one of the fastest accelerating cars here, even if it’s also one of the slowest once it’s up to speed.

After sending their comments off to ABC management, and an excruciating wait that could only be borne of government department bureaucracy, the car eventually selected for The Pair was…

The Valiant Talon LT-ram package!

Big congrats to @mart1n2005, while the comfort was low everything else was good enough that the healthy dose of coolness was more than enough to offset it.

As far as the rest of the field goes, it’s:
1 @mart1n2005
2 @conan
3 @GassTiresandOil
4 @Texaslav
5 @Lanson
6 @Mikonp7
7 @Ludvig

Thanks for a fun challenge, and hopefully I've done alright for my first time having to care about stats, even if there was the silly catch-all of coolness as a top priority!
7 Likes

That’s something I wasn’t expecting - an early 2000s facelift of a 1990s American pony car (aero looks and all) taking top honors against a field of newer mid-2000s machinery (including a few imports).

@mart1n2005 I’m familiar with the 1995-2002 Valiant Talon - I recognize it from CSR149, where it had a different color scheme acquitted itself well by all accounts (although sadly not by enough to become a finalist back then). As for the version you submitted for TMCC23, I guess the low comfort levels (relative to the other finalists) were an acceptable trade-off given how much fun it was to drive (decent straight-line pace and excellent handling, according to the client). I still wonder why it was the least comfortable car in the final seven - was the suspension set up to be on the firm side, and did it use a live rear axle (as did its inspiration, the fourth generation GM F-Body pony cars)? Or was it equipped with only a standard interior and/or CD player? Or was it a combination of those factors? Anyway, it seems only right that the Valiant Talon’s day in the sun has finally come.

1 Like

Congratulations to the winner!

Here is the stats and the technical specs of my entry

it’s using a premium interior with +3 and premium cd so not sure why its low on comfort tbh…

It wasn’t terribly low all things considered, but it’s far and away the least comfortable of the finalists, with the next lowest being 27.7.

Ah yes the inappropiate sound of p e r f o r m a n c e intakes.
Agree on the odd proportions, the chosen morphs and lights don’t help but that body has it’s limitations.

I started off and gave up on something Talon-like, it’s hard to pull off but @mart1n2005 did it well. Good cars, good round

As things stand right now, any performance intake is unrealistically loud - they generally have a loudness value of 50 or more, when it should be in the high 30s to mid-40s, as it was before 4.27.

I still stand by the view that with how stats currently are, we should interpret 35 as ‘normal car loudness’, 50 as ‘performance car loudness’ and 60 as ‘a bit too loud’, rather than the 4.24 interpretation of 40 being performance car loudness and 50 being literally ear-splittingly illegal.

4 Likes

Btw I know I’m deep in mincing around with csr right now with no updates but I’m off work next week so that will be wrapped up by mid week so with that in mind I will host the next tmmc, but to make it easier doing two challenges on the bounce it’ll be design only and a a redoing of an old challenge I’ve ran before. So feel free to see what I’ve hosted before to get an idea. I’ll have the rules up in a couple of days and open it next weekend. It’s not like we are short of challenges right now anyway

3 Likes

New thread is up now TMCC24