TMCC34 - Triple Caution (COMPLETE)

TGR Industries: 1985 Rancheau RcB 2.1

TGR industries produced 2 development designs prior to TMCC34, testing the two designs to determine whether or not their rally entry would utilize turbocharging. While many of the test drivers noted they preferred the smoothness and torque curve of an NA engine, turbocharging was chosen for lighter overall weight per hp.
The 2.1 variant is the vehicle developed specifically for TMCC34. It has a detuned version of the RLX engine powering the original variant. A lot of quality was added to various components within the build considering its use in a production television show.
The Rancheau RcB 2.1 enters the competition just on the edge of the design limitations with a 1785cc turbocharged engine and weighing in at 899kg.
The race prep team has been ribbed notably often about the livery presented on the car. The team did not have additional comments about the specific staff assigned to the design.

2 Likes

1985 Arnoc Nexus WRC
Arnoc took the big heavy V8 out and retuned nearly everything to create a true Group B monster, now with a 1.4L Turbo I4.

Coming to a rally near you.

*Model unavailable for purchase, this is a 1 of 12 race experimental trim only.

1 Like

1985 Turból 4xAll Rallye Evolution II

A bespoke tube-frame rally machine produced by Turból during the height of the Group B era.

Info

In the early 1980s, Turból was introducing its “4xAll” all wheel drive system in the F4 sports car, with further implementation across the line planned. Increasing recognition of AWD as a viable system for sporting cars was a priority for Turból, who found the newly introduced Group B WRC regulations an excellent stage to do so.

Their first Group B vehicle would be based on the road-going F4. Though the AWD sports car was not completely unsuccessful, the wide, long, and relatively heavy V8 powered machine left Turból drivers with a fairly long list of complaints; the steeply raked windshield and low seating position created visibility issues, while the large footprint, long overhangs, and a lack of suspension travel made for a car poorly suited to conditions other than high speed tarmac events.

These issues and more would be addressed with the creation of the 4xAll Rallye. Like most of its Group B rivals, the 4xAll Rallye was a bespoke, tube frame machine with a midmounted and heavily turbocharged engine.

Packaging the mechanicals into the small chassis took some ingenuity. Just behind the cabin lies the engine, mounted backwards. The transmission was mounted just ahead of the engine, between the driver and co-driver, and the center viscous diff just ahead of that. The front and rear driveshafts ran down the direct center of the car, allowing the front and rear suspension the geometry for long control arms and copious suspension travel. To accomplish this, however, the engine and transmission were mounted slightly higher in the chassis, to allow the rear driveshaft to pass beneath them. The engine used would be a new variation of the Turból Boxer. The flat 4 had an inherently low center of gravity and had run successfully in DRM Group 5 in highly tuned 1.4 liter twin turbo layout, so the Group B engine would be closely based on that. Stroked back out to 1782cc, the engine produced ~360 hp in Evolution I form and ~450 hp in Evolution II form. The turbochargers were mounted forward of the rear wheels, with side vents above feeding each bank’s airbox and intercooler. These side vents were mounted to a top-hinged panel, which could be opened for easy access to the each side of the engine bay, and the rear aero tail panel could also be removed entirely for additional access. Extraction vents were placed behind the intercoolers for improve airflow and to reduce heat soak. Exhaust for each bank passed over the rear wheels to exit at the rear of the car. With no exhaust crossover, the true-dual twin-turbo boxer 4 made a very distinctive, guttural exhaust note. Radiators and oil coolers were mounted in the nose of the car to help improve weight balance, and a roof mounted scoop fed air to cool the rear differential.

Turból engineers faced the biggest hurdle in the 4xAll Rallye’s weight. Despite the use of a fully fiberglass body and lexan windows, the Evolution II tipped the scales at roughly 90kg greater than the target weight, but with the fast timeline of Group B development, any additional strategies for weight removal would need to wait for the Evolution III in the 1986 season.

Gallery

Poster/Specs

16 Likes

Iris Resau T/EVO VRS

A couple of action shots:

8 Likes
3 Likes
Capable Motors Co.! The new 1985 Capable Amplitude R2!
0-100 km/h: 3.2 seconds
Cornering g's: 1.10
Top speed: 198.7 mph
Horsepower: 490.2
Turbo psi: 35.53
Info

Capable brings the awesome Amplitude R2 to the rally! This model is built off the built for homologation civilian Capable Amplitude Sport. This model includes the top of the line 4x4 system AWDeft, which Capable has introduced in its cars just 2 years ago. Capable’s engineers used their world-class 4x4 experts to improve the AWDeft even more!

For the fuel injection system, Capable Racing’s lead engineer, who is named Keith, used the tried and tested Bosch K - Jetronic mechanical system. Keith was worried about the electronics breaking, and if they did it would be very hard to fix. Keith is sure that our mechanical injection is superior to that of the competitors’ electronic fuel injection.

Among the other complicated systems, the R2 feature hydraulic power steering. This will make the car quicker on turns, adding to the ‘ease of driving’ philosophy espoused by CR’s engineering.

Also built into the entire car was the most advanced safety features ever seen in a race car. Capable has been a world leader in safety for decades and continues this lineage with a super crash-resistant chassis.

The Amplitude R2 is sure to get a podium finish with all these advantages!

1 Like

:bangbang: :bangbang: :bangbang: SUBMISSIONS CLOSED :bangbang: :bangbang: :bangbang:

Additional submissions from @Vento and @ChrisOnline127

Judgement day will come soon.

11 Likes

REVIEWS

The film crew along with some stunt drivers were flown out to Italy after coming into contact with a mysterious car collector there. The mysterious car collector just so happened to have 12 historic rally cars that should be fit for the movie. The stunt team were asked to give them all a test drive to see if they should be considered or not.

Puck 726/RA
@fabiremi999

Starting off with the Puck 726/RA, no one was a huge fan of how it looked. The front snow scoop looks to be fabricated on from a really long Group 5 car, and the rough blue steel parts don’t group well together with the painted white body. However, it seemed to be stronger in terms of performance, with the highest power to weight ratio of all the cars here, but it was understandably quite a handful.

Dragonello Sigma S28-R
@the-chowi

The crew was immediately captivated by the design of the Dragonello, and it looks perfectly aggressive for what they’re looking for. Luckily, it also has the performance to match with rapid acceleration off the line and some of the best handling out of all the cars driven. This will for sure be one of the cars considered as the hero of the film.

Leonia 2 RX 1.8 Turbo GR.B.
@z2bbgr

The crew liked the base design of the car, even if it was a bit tame. But the thing that carried the overall design was for sure the livery, it for sure looks like one of the best. It’s also surprisingly quick and well built, and the gearing seems well adjusted for rallying.

Valiant Amigo Rallye Cup
@mart1n2005

While the crew didn’t hate the looks of the Valiant, they could tell it didn’t look like a top performer, and this sadly turned out to be true. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated and carbureted four banger, and while it isn’t bad in the corners, it’s acceleration is waaay slower than every other car in this collection. It could maybe work as a car Jimmy gets trained with, but it’s definitely not the car for when he’s in the big leagues.

Yamanto Okra TSOK
@xsneakyxsimx

This takes the idea of looking like an underperforming car even further; they couldn’t even be assed to even give it a basic livery, and apparently no one even wanted to sponsor it. Despite it’s underwhelming looks, it’s faster than expected with great acceleration, but it’s ultimately let down by subpar handling and being reportedly the worst car to drive.

???

Since I got a message saying this car conflicted with the TROL version, it was initially imported with the engine from that version which not only made it slow as shit, but also illegal since it was around 40 kg underweight for the 1601-2000cc class. It wasn’t until writing the reviews that I looked at your post in the thread that had different specs that I found out something was wrong. Be glad that you were spared from the flames. :slightly_smiling_face:

Arnoc Nexum WRC
@PhirmEggplant

The crew was disappointed with the Arnoc in almost every single way. At first sight they thought, was this even an authentic rally car? The splitter, wing, and diffuser all look like they were taken from a much newer car, and it seems to have LEDs in it’s headlights. The performance of the car wasn’t terrible, but the driver reported that it sounded like it was constantly going to fall apart.

Rancheau RcB2.2
@Snarklz

Despite being driven by the rear wheels, this car seems to accelerate as fast as most the all wheel drive cars, and even handled the best out of the collection. But the crew had mixed feelings about the styling of it; the overall design feels average, and the sponsors seemed to be slapped wherever, some of which didn’t even exist during this car’s time. They thought that this must be another repurposed leftover car from Group B’s death.

Primus Ares Group B
@Happyhungryhippo

Did this car live a double life as a wangan racer? Because it’s gearing is set for speeds of over 220 mph, which is very, very unnecessary considering what should be it’s purpose. During testing, the driver reportedly never went higher than 3rd gear.

Yes, it makes 640 horsepower, and is the only car in the 4001-5000 displacement class, but it doesn’t make up for the extra weight because it’s total tire width is a mere 440mm, which would be good for the 1301-1600 class. All in all, the poor handling and excessive gearing doesn’t make the power worth it. The styling was nothing special, either.

Iris Resau T/Evo VRS
@Danicoptero

The last 2 wheel drive car in the collection, but it’s surprisingly better than expected. It looks alright, but it’s real strengths are that it drove better than most of the AWD cars, and nothing sounded like it was going to break at all. It’s not the fastest compared to most other cars, but everything mentioned before makes up for it.

Turból 4xAll Rallye Evolution II
@donutsnail

The crew immediately thought that the Turbol was one of the best looking cars of the collection. It also has lots of power for the 2001-2500 class, specifically 445 hp from a 1.8 liter engine. This comes with the consequence of having quite alot of turbo lag, and while obviously not slow, again the gearing seems to be adjusted more for top speed which is detrimental for it. Additionally, the safety equipment for this car is a decade out of date.

Capable Amplitude R2
@Vento

The honest truth is that this would have been the car that the crew would have chosen if not for one literal stand-out flaw. It has even more hp/l than the Turbol, but it actually thought about making up for it with tight gearing. It’s heavy enough to qualify for the 3001-4000 class despite being in 2501-3000. Yet it still is one of the best handling cars in the collection. However, this is all let down off of a god damn skyscraper just because of it’s looks, which the film crew thought were the worst out of all the rally cars.

Hermes-BAW Dominion '85 Rally Car
@ChrisOnline127

Last and least was this thing. It looks like it sold out a lot with all those stickers, something which Jimmy would love to do, but this is not the car to do it. Not at all. It has a quite questionable design, especially with that wing which doesn’t look era appropriate for this car. It’s relatively underpowered for the class it’s in, but the worst part by far is the abysmally thin 185/195 tires, making it handle far worse than any other car in the collection. This was so hard to adjust to after driving every other car, so the driver ended his test early in fear of understeering off a cliff.

Results

Summary

Congratulations to @the-chowi ! Jimmy Levinson is about to send a Dragonello Sigma into a 150, right 4, over jump, Triple Caution (2005).

1. @the-chowi - Dragonello Sigma
  2. @z2bbgr - Leonia 2 RX
  3. @donutsnail - Turbol 4xAll
  4. @Danicoptero - Iris Resau
  5. @mart1n2005 - Valiant Amigo
  6. @Vento - Capable Amplitude
  7. @Happyhungryhippo - Primus Ares
  8. @fabiremi999 - Puck 726
  9. @Snarklz - Rancheau RcB2
  10. @xsneakyxsimx - Yamanto Okra
  11. @PhirmEggplant - Arnoc Nexum
  12. @ChrisOnline127 - Hermes-BAW Dominion
18 Likes

Congratulations to everyone else and thank you for hosting! I’ll let y’all know whether I can host

2 Likes

I thought I had a decent tune on the Arnoc ( :crazy_face:), ah well.
Good work on hosting, I appreciate the honesty.
Congrats everybody, look forward to the next event!

2 Likes

In my defense, I can’t make any sort of livery in any other game either.

Congrats to the-chowi

2 Likes

Livery styling was definitely my weakest element, with body styling coming in at a close second. I’m glad some of our engineering stood out though!

Honestly, props for thinking about gearing correctly and dinging my car accordingly. I incorrectly figured if I geared it like an actually rally car I would get dinged for so severely limiting my top speed, but top speed is properly pointless in rally where speeds almost never exceed 190 kmh.

Again I’ve come up with a few ideas, please let me know which one you’d prefer

• Mars rovers for a present day/near future sci-fi show (heavy fixture work would be necessary).
  • Small, modern cargo vans for a drama show.
  • Modern (2018+) muscle cars for a remake of a classic movie.
0 voters
1 Like

Let’s definely do the Mars rover that’s certainly the most interesting

Well, 24 hours later and the results are in favour of the modern muscle cars (if only by one) and categorically against the mars rovers. I’ll try to get the thread up by tomorrow.

I want to change my vote to the van

alright, i’ve opened the poll once again in case anyone else wants to vote or is still on the fence. i’ll close it tomorrow morning, say, 14 hours from now.

Alright, seems the muscle cars have won, poll’s closed.

1 Like

check it out :wink: