TMCC35 - Far Horizon [Submissions closed, reviews pending]

TMCC35 - Far Horizon

TeleStream Studios is remaking a cult classic car chase film from the 1970s, now set in modern times – vaguely in the 2020s – and with modern cars. The plot revolves around an army veteran and former racing driver who must deliver a muscle car from Denver to San Francisco within four days, following along his high-speed, high-adrenaline journey across the American west.

Rules
  • Model and family year: Minimum 2007.
  • Trim and variant year: 2020.
  • Maximum combined techpool costs of $65 million (addition of the values circled in red).
  • Aspiration techpool for N/A engines can be 0, otherwise all techpool values must be greater than or equal to 3.
  • No negative quality.
  • Two and three door bodies only, as long as they have the shape of a coupé or a fastback, the body itself is not limited to ones that already look like muscle cars, as long as the result is muscle-looking. No shooting brakes or 3 door wagons are allowed either.
  • Convertibles are not allowed.
  • The car must be painted white. Glossy, pearl, metallic – it’s your choice, as long as it’s white. Carbon fibre or different colors are not allowed on big areas, except the roof. Side skirts, lower bumpers/splitters/diffusers, mirrors, any vents you’d like to add, door handles and the roof can be carbon fibre or any dark grayscale accent color, everything else must be white. Stripes aren’t allowed, as the original car didn’t have them.
  • A small wing or ducktail is allowed, it can also be a contrasting shade.
  • Interior: four seats minimum (two full seats in the front row, rear seats must be “plus”), a detailed interior is not required.
  • Wheelbase: minimum 2.6 metres with rounding.
  • Large displacement V8 and V10 engines only (let’s say above 575 cc per cylinder, but i’m open to suggestions).
  • The car must be front-engined and RWD.
  • 95 RON Unleaded fuel.
  • Electronic fuel injection is mandatory.
  • No race parts or semi-slicks.
  • The car must meet WES 9 emissions.
  • Maximum price of $65,000.
Priorities

:star: :star: :star:

• Design - how well it’s made as well as how it fits within the design theme.
  • Drivability - everyone from stuntspeople to the stars and production assistants should be able to drive it.
  • Sportiness - it’s a muscle car that’s meant to go fast on camera, it also should be able to handle tight courses and do movie stunts.

:star: :star:

• Reliabilty - it can’t be breaking down on set or before a scene.
  • Safety - the stunt drivers must be protected in case anything goes wrong.
  • Price - the studio is going to be buying many cars, so, the cheaper the better.

:star:

• Comfort - muscle cars are generally softer grand tourers, still, they rarely are luxury cars.
  • Service costs - it shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg for the studio to maintain the cars.
Inspirations

images (57)

Changelog
  • Changed engine requirements to allow V10s, added displacement restrictions.
  • Added engine layout and drivetrain restrictions.
  • Clarified the body style rule a bit more.
  • Lowered emissions restrictions from WES 11 to 9.
  • Clarified colour restrictions.
  • Added original movie car to the inspirations section.
  • Added fuel injection rule.
  • Added rule about wings
  • Clarified wording on techpool rule.
  • Extended submission deadline.
Submissions
  • Model and family name: TMCC35 - your forum username.
  • Trim and variant name: free.
  • Send your .car file via Forum DMs only
  • Make a post with at least one picture of your car in this thread
  • Submissions open 2024-08-02T05:59:00Z, the rules can be discussed until then.
  • Submissions close 2024-09-01T05:59:00Z

13 Likes

Do I sense some vanishing point vibes? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

that’s the idea

is 8 cylinders the only choice or could we do a v10 perhaps?

that’s an interesting idea, i hadn’t considered it

Obviously, only the submitted trim must have a white exterior (I take that to mean all-white, not white with contrasting stripes in a different color) - entrants are free to create other trims of their car whose exterior colors are anything but white, so long as those trims are not the ones submitted here.

OHV engines, however, will struggle to reach WES 11, but a 4v/5v DOHC equivalent most likely won’t.

1 Like

Yeah ohv pretty much stonewlls at wes 9 with a big margin of not passing 10, but dohc is wes 11 easily

575cc = 0.575L, so for 8-cylinders it would be minimum 4.6L displacement and V10 would require a minimum 5.75L?

Perhaps an overall engine block/size displacement instead of a per-cylinder one would be better, as those going for a V10 would need to have a larger engine.

I want to have 2 full seats in the rear

1 Like

Umm… does the car have to be front engined?

2 Likes

why no 4 doors? plenty of four door muscle out there, especially modern ones.

good question pantera was a midship muscle car and it would be cool to see a modern version.

However, with all of the inspirations being front-engined, rear-drive coupes, I think there should be an explicit mandate for the use of an FR layout.

I just made a OHV V8 that is currently meeting WES11 in a 2012 Family and Variant. But I don’t think it would be very competitive since it’s a 7.5L engine making… 365ish HP

That’s the idea, at least in my mind, a V10 smaller than that is more of an exotic engine rather than a muscle car engine, but a 4.6 litre V8 is right in line for Ford’s modular engines. Like, if you were to take a 5 litre V10 and tune it for muscle car levels of power, you would almost inevitably end up with a higher revving engine, like the LFA’s. I did that displacement limit because I thought it would be even more restrictive to mandate it being OHV or to make rules for how the powerband should look. Still, I’m open to further suggestions.

Even the Dodges, which are pretty large vehicles, have rear seats on the smaller side, and the Camaro and Mustang have even smaller ones.

Yes, putting that in now.

The hero car for the original movie is a coupé, thus, it should also be one for the remake.

3 Likes

If you want ohv to make good power you may wwnt to drop the wes requirement to wes 8 perhaps
The big 3 did tend to bend emissions rules for this type of top end muscle cars

Are you including fuel economy in service costs category?

I am not at a computer right now but as far as I remember you can make OHV pass WES11 by using a rich mixture, less emissions optimization and a lot of quality. Plus stuff like non-highflow cat, non-tubular headers etc help a lot more than you’d think

4 Likes

and lower compression, but yeah its def do-able

I think the cc requirement be lower because then I get more sportiness
also i think you should fuel economy as a priority because my MPG is really high