Tom Henks Racing Series [Season 6 Finale results]

A bit late but the season finale went live today! https://youtu.be/dcSvGXmEgPE

Here are the results overall:

This was quite a tense battle for the overall win since the top 2 were very close. But Gridghost came out victorious, so congratulations to Gridghost! :slight_smile: Next season will be announced in 2 weeks from today

1 Like

With season 5 now over, I’d like to ask all those of you who watched: how did you like the format this time vs. previous seasons? The qualification round, then following eliminations and then only the best cars + 1 wildcard and my reference car being shown in the final? Did you enjoy it because it made the videos shorter and featured only the best cars that actually have a shot at winning, or would you prefer seeing more cars and thereby longer videos?

Alright everyone, due to some recent updates to both Automation and BeamNG which affected my test cars for the next season in several ways, preparations for season 6 took longer than usual but they’re done now. The rules are finalized and the announcement video will go public this Saturday at 6pm CEST :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s going to be in the open beta then?

3 Likes

yes it will be in the open beta

1 Like

Tom Henks Racing Series - Season 6: 1961 F1 cars

This time we’re going back in time to an old school F1 season, specifically 1961 because they only had 1.5L engines. Still, you’ll be impressed by the performance that these engines churned out in combination with the incredibly low weight and drag coefficient of these cars.
For engines, we stay true to the original cars which means up to 1500cc and only 2v/cyl because that’s what the real cars used. Also, no car in the field was powered by an engine with more than 6 cylinders, so 6 cylinders is the max.
There is one supplier of tyres and wheels this season, so all cars will use the exact same tyres and wheels this time.

RULES:

Automation build version: Open Beta!!

Year (for everything): 1961
Body type: see below, found in the Steam Workshop
Ferrari 156 body

Body and chassis materials: any
chassis type: Space frame only
Engine position: mid longitudinal
tech pool: +5 on everything
Quality: -5 to +10 on everything (except tyres and safety, rules in the Trim section below)

1. Engine:
  • Max. capacity: 1500cc
  • Up to (and including) 6 cylinders, any configuration
  • 2v/cyl only
  • No fuel injection
  • Fuel: Leaded Avgas 110 RON
  • no changes to engine timing
2. Trim:
  • Drivetrain: RWD only

• Gearbox: 5-speed manual

• Differential: Open

• Tyres/wheels: Cross-Ply with Sports compound, dimensions: see screenshot

• Wheels: Magnesium

• Tyre quality: +5

• Undertray: None

• Cooling Airflow: 50+

• 1 seat

• Manual steering

• Safety: Standard 60s Safety with 0 quality

• Approximate cost: up to 35.000$

3. Aero:

No aero fixtures allowed. This means the car can’t have any fixtures that reduce lift and/or increase downforce.

4. Advanced Trim Settings:
  • Visibility: Chassis Disabled (mandatory - for aesthetic reasons), optional: Exhaust Disabled
  • Body: Chassis Track Width +10 (mandatory - otherwise, the tyres may clip into the chassis when steering in BeamNG)
  • Engine: Position and Intake/Exhaust sounds can be changed
  • No other changes in Advanced Trim Settings are allowed
5. Format:
  1. This time there are 3 Qualification races - the times will be added together
  2. Everyone within 5s of the fastest car’s total qualification time qualifies for the main competition
  3. There are 5 races in the main competition, and here we will have a point system (exact points will depend on how many cars qualify)
  4. The car with the most points at the end of the season wins
6. Tracks:

Qualification:
Race 1: Lakeside (1 flying lap)
Race 2: Hirochi Short (1 flying lap)
Race 3: Tsukuba (1 flying lap)

Main competition:
Race 1: Suzuka GP Circuit (1 flying lap)
Race 2: Bathurst (1 flying lap)
Race 3: Sepang (1 flying lap)
Race 4: Spa (1 flying lap)
Race 5: Monza 2010 Alt Circuit (1 flying lap)

7. Submissions:

Submissions open: Saturday, 21st of October
Submissions close: Saturday, 28th of October, 6pm CEST

• Only cars submitted via my discord will be accepted.
  • To submit, drag and drop your car file (Automation car files only) into the “community-challenge-files” subchannel.
  • You can name your car and engine however you like, there are no naming conventions.
  • Only 1 submission per player is allowed, no resubmissions.
  • Collaborative efforts are allowed, but the players doing the collaboration can’t submit another car individually.

All the real-world tracks mentioned can be downloaded here: Race track collection | BeamNG

With that, let the building begin! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Wow I’m going to make such a cool design :slight_smile:

edit: What does 2v/cyl only mean, i don’t seen an option for a 2 cylidner engine

two valves per cylinder

How do I check how many valves are in the engine?

Choose one of either: ohv, daohc, ohc 2 valve or dohc 2 valve and you’ll be fine. The number of valves is shown on the right column when you choose the valve train type

Awesome… working on one already.

Just to check -

Does this mean that the tyre sizes are fixed as 155/90C15 & 175/80C15? or are these maximum?

these are the mandatory dimensions, because as stated at the start of the rules post, we are assuming that there is only one supplier for the tyres/wheels this season so all cars have to use the exact same ones.

I am assuming that speed rating for the sake of this can be whatever it needs to be? We don’t have to run a limiter for the Y rating, do we?

Yes, the speed rating will be whatever it happens to be depending on your car’s top speed. Everything else is standardized though.

2 Likes

No problem.

Well… except for my overseer issues :yum:

Does this mean we are not allowed to adjust the offset any? or is the +10 from the advanced setting all we’re allowed to do?

since wheel offset (in the tyres/wheels tab) is technically not part of the wheel materials/compounds or dimensions, I don’t see anything wrong with allowing it.

Where am I going wrong? I can’t find a way to disable viewing the exhaust without disabling the view of the entire engine, and the pipe is sticking out like a rat tail.

In the paints section the exhaust material can be set to nothing.

3 Likes

Thank you!