Trucks, Vans, Utes, and SUVs thread

Very proud of this!

4 Likes

1989-2010 IP FREEWAY STAR

The Freeway star was introduced in 1977 as a smaller companion to the Highway Star van. It was built a little more passenger car like, with an unibody platform and coil springs in the rear. The same recipe was used when the second generation Freeway Star was introduced in 1989. However, the RWD versions now got a companion in the AWD model. The dimensions grew a fair bit and the styling now was more aerodynamic. It was available with a range of 4 cylinder engines, from an 1.5 litre to a 2.4 litre unit, with 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto (both column shifted), and in cargo or passenger versions. Some of them very simple, other were borderline luxurious.

The van on the pictures is one of the more luxurious ways to enjoy a Freeway star. A GLX model with the “Lounge” interior, meaning six individual seats (two of them facing rearwards), air conditioning, stereo and curtains for privacy. It also has the “Crystal roof” option with one conventional sunroof and two flip-up units in the rear.

In 1999 the Freeway star got a minor facelift. The plastic parts now were body coloured instead of black, composite headlights replaced the sealed beam units, and there was now ABS and a drivers side air bag.

When the second generation disappeared in 2010, it was a tried and true, trustworthy van, but not very up to date. Its successor ditched the forward control layout for a bonneted one, and there was now front wheel drive and independent rear suspension.

9 Likes

@Restomod & @Knugcab

Both of your interiors look great!! @Restomod the chrome on the IP looks dope and @Knugcab the interior in the Freeway Star looks like a cool place to be lol frfr.

1 Like

Thanks, I noticed that making a van interior was somewhat of a challenge compared to a regular car but…since I decided to go the van route for Cool Wall 3 I could as well do it properly, I thought.
(Yes, I am lazy and using the same base car for Cool Wall 3 and Shitbox rally, lol)

2 Likes

Im in the same boat as you, Im re-purposing my previous pos CSR car for AGC, only this time its not a pos lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, but now the challenges are running at the same time, haha. But the AWD van seemed so suitable for both, so why make things harder than they have to be now when I am totally drained of energy…

2 Likes

Drained of energy…I feel that, especially since 2 of the 3 challenges that I plan to participate in require interiors that are MANDATORY…Im definitely not an interior person.

1 Like

Assuming you mean the Kaveat, thanks! I’m very proud of it, it’s my first intetior.

2 Likes

In 1938 A. Jones, owner of some small steel mills, signed an agreement with the United Kingdom government to co-finance a factory to produce mechanical parts, engines and armored plates for the army.
The new factory called Welsh Motors was built in 1939 near Wrexham, chosen because it was not a large industrial agglomeration, it was hoped that it would be spared from possible Nazi aviation raids.
The first vehicle produced by WM was a military ambulance code-named VF-1 which had a 4.0 liter 6-cylinder engine, of Dodge origin, built under license.
In the photos a VF-1 just left the assembly line with the body painted with the prime only waiting for the army to apply the most suitable camouflage paint.
The VF-1 was produced from 1940 to 1946 in 6,000 units.

After the end of the war, WM decided to use the sheet metal and mechanics left in stock after the interruption of production of the VF-1 to produce the PM-1 mini bus.
The PM-1 differed not only aesthetically from the VF-1 because it was fitted with a version of the 6-cylinder reduced to 2.7 liters to decrease fuel consumption.
The PM-1 was produced from 1947 to 1949 in 2,000 units.

3 Likes

Vans!

It’s the PA22-series from my Finnish brand Salon, and the prefacelift models are rocking some rumbly Boxer 4- engines, low spec delivery model with a 1.4 and the higher end passenger model with a 1.8, making 62 and 72 hp respectively. The facelift model is from 1976, and has the same OHC i4 engine as the Bonus (the gray one I posted here a while ago), except bored out to 1.6 instead of just 1.3.

11 Likes

2015 Zerve Trekmaster MKIV Facelift

By this time the fourth generation TrekMaster had been in production for exactly 30 years. It had gone through lots of facelifts, all to try and make it look more modern. This time, though, Zerve decided to go with a retro look calling back to the 2nd gen. With the facelift, the TrekMaster gained direct injection on all engines, and an increase in compression ratio and a more agressive timing.

I will show another post tommorow featuring an in-depth look at bthe TrekMaster’s bodystyles.

2 Likes

1974-79 IP RUGGER

The most popular Rugger ever was the fourth generation, built between 1974 and 1979. Styling wise, it was more evolutionary than revolutionary compared to the third generation. It was hardly a revolution mechanically either, it more or less used the same mechanics as its predecessor.

What the Rugger did right, was being the right product at the right time. When the minitruck craze bloomed in the US, IP got its fair share of the market. Also, being a (for its era and class) gas sipper during the oil crisis did help. Also, some work was done to make it more civilized than earlier Ruggers. The DX package was a popular option, featuring more chrome trim and a more luxurious interior. With the optional 1.8 litre engine it even was quite peppy.

The fourth generation was produced until 1979, replaced with the fifth generation for the 1980 model year.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Adorable!

Photo699-removebg-preview

Some 4.1 hotties

12 Likes

2 Likes

Soon…so very soon…

4 Likes

1980 Kutler Blacktail 1500

2 Likes

1948 Wrexam CV (Carrier Van) of the Truscott Drink’s Inc. used for the transport of an American drink :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

1980-86 IP RUGGER 4x4

The fifth generation IP Rugger was introduced for the 1980 model year. Mechanically, it wasn’t all too different from its predecessor, but it had some new engines available, like the 4DS diesel (that was quite old with its roots in the 60s, but new for the Rugger) or the all new IP 4Z 2 litre 4-cylinder (enlarged to 2.4 litres in later models). Maybe the biggest news of them all, however, was the introduction of a 4 wheel drive Rugger.

It was meant to be a bit more road oriented than the pickup version (Uti-Lite) of the IP Brigadier offroader, featuring an independent front suspension, though it used the transfer case from the Brigadier. Flared arches, 15 inch wheels with all terrain tyres, manual locking differentials and lifted suspension were other things that made the 4wd version different from the regular 2wd.

The fifth generation was replaced with the sixth generation Rugger in 1987.

8 Likes