Two Other Possible Engine Configurations

Just want to start by saying that I’ve been tinkering in the sandbox and I think it’s damned impressive. Only two suggestions for possible engine configurations. One, my being biased, (My screen name will give it away, but I feel if we’re allowed to build our ‘dream car’ it should be an option) would be a V4 configuration engine. While yes, mostly prevalent in motorcycles, there are a few examples through automotive history of that engine configuration being used in cars. And second, if you are going to go back to 40’s technology, there should also be a flat head (Valve-in-block) intake configuration available. And not just for V8 engines. Just kicking around ideas. Keep up the awesomeness!

Hello VMX

Look here http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/images/smilies/graemlins/smilywink.gif
Flathead
What will be in the game

Greetz
Pyrlix

http://www.geekzenith.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

it would appear you guys have it handled…

So I’ve noticed that the opposed 12 (or flat 12) is not included as of yet. It would be interesting to see a flat 8 or 10, as well.

From what I know, no one have ever made an opposing 12 (boxer). Or 8 for that matter.

The Ferrari 512, and later the Testarossa, had a 180 degree v-12.

The connecting rods of an opposing cylinder engine have crank pins 180 deg.
apart on the cylinders opposed to each other, a v engine most often have a common crank pin for them.

The crank for the Testarossa is nearly identical to that of, say a Lamborghini v-12 from the same period.

The Porsche made a couple flat 12s for racing purposes, simply by merging two of their already existing flat 6s

Yes but they did change the crankshaft and cams so it’s a 180 degree V12 and not boxer engines like their 6 cylinder engines.

"]The Porsche 917 endurance racing car (introduced in 1969, for the Sport category) was powered by an air-cooled flat-12. This engine was an evolution of the Porsche flat-8 boxer engine and used identical cylinders to those found on the 908, but differed in that it used a V12 type crankshaft.

The old Le Mans Porsche 962 had a Flat 8

Wikipedia reckons they were all flat 6s - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_962

Wow I was positive I saw somewhere the 962 had a Flat 8 aswell as those other configs.
But still the Porsche 908 F1 Car had a small Flat 8.

[quote=“RobtheFiend”]From what I know, no one have ever made an opposing 12 (boxer). Or 8 for that matter.

The Ferrari 512, and later the Testarossa, had a 180 degree v-12.

The connecting rods of an opposing cylinder engine have crank pins 180 deg.
apart on the cylinders opposed to each other, a v engine most often have a common crank pin for them.

The crank for the Testarossa is nearly identical to that of, say a Lamborghini v-12 from the same period.[/quote]

Porsche have made flat six eights and twelves but even if I have gotten one wrong the point remains the same
this game is about not copying the mainstream but going out and forging your own path so yes I think have flats would be awesome 2 right up to 16 cylinders in a flt profile for lower hoods and more sleek designs