Vision 2060 - The RoboRacers of Tomorrow [Submissions Closed]

Someone else going for the strategy of sentient robocar that’s also a robot/android? Impressive, I wish you the best in this

2060 Fujimi Alpha X-01

For the 2060 Roborace season, Fujimi’s Advanced Motorsport Division presents their first entry into the series - the Alpha X-01. Among its highlights there is a bespoke carbon fibre monocoque, an E-Fuel-drinking quad-turbo V12 with 1200 bhp as well as a supercapacitor hybrid system, which uses a front-mounted motor-generator unit, capable of producing 300 kW on both acceleration and regeneration. The supercapacitor array allows for a quick discharge of power, giving the motor a temporary boost to 400 kW for use on straightaways. As far as autonomous capability goes, it uses a set of sensors and cameras, GPS and GLONASS positioning systems, all feeding a Fujimi Electron Industries Deep-Learning core.

Specs

Gallery

20 Likes
18 Likes

16 Likes

DELPHINIDA PRESENTS

in collaboration with
DIMOLTO TECHNOLOGIES

The Strength

CARBON FIBER NANOTUBE CONSTRUCTION

The AM-X is mainly made of sturdy, but light carbon fiber nanotubes, combined with regular carbon fiber, silver, plastic, and other components. It’s equipped with drive-by-wire technology, minimizing mechanical linkages and saving weight. The body, along with the chassis, motors, batteries, wheels, suspensions, computer, and other amenities add up to a kerb weight of 1010 kilograms.

PASSIVE AERO

Aside from the obvious diffuser, splitters, and fin at the back end of the car, the AM-X has a large panel surrounding the main body. The panel serves as weather and impact protection for the wheels, suspensions, and main body, as well as containing several useful sensors. It’s also shaped to generate downforce as well as direct cool air right to the wheels and vents without trapping too much and creating drag. As seen here, it also serves as a good placement for sponsors.

ELECTRIC MOTORS

The AM-X is powered with 4 electric motors (25 kg motors on the front, 55 kg motors on the rear, 160 kg total), one for each wheel. They produce a combined output of 2000 hp (1500 kW) of power and 2200 Nm of torque, with 600 hp and 660 Nm on the front end and 1400 hp and 1540 Nm on the rear.

COMPACT BATTERIES

In an attempt to save weight, the AM-X uses a highly compacted 500 kWh lithium iron phosphate “blade battery” known for its efficiency and safety for a long time, placed as low as possible to lower its center of gravity. The battery’s total weight is around 200 kg.

About the “blade battery”: Introduced in the early 2020s by a manufacturer in China, the “blade battery” is a lithium iron phosphate, single-cell battery with a design that allows it to be placed in an array and put into a battery pack, like a blade. It was claimed to be safer, more powerful, and lasts longer than the then-conventional ternary lithium or lithium iron phosphate batteries. With how various electric vehicle manufacturers have adopted its use in the following years, Delphinida’s decision to use this battery type was because of an already reliable access to the battery’s replacement and/or reparation, if needed.

CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES WITH KERS

The AM-X has carbon ceramic brakes (420 mm/3-piston front, 400 mm/2-piston rear) on each wheel (P355/25R23 front, P365/25R23 rear) directly cooled by air flowing between the wheels, the main body, and the surrounding body panel. With it also comes a KERS system with a small flywheel connected to each motor (80 kg in total), storing energy from the motors under braking in a battery to release later on as a temporary boost. Each KERS unit can put out up to 120 hp (90 kW) of boost, with a total up to 480 hp (358 kW).

AIR AND LIQUID COOLING

The AM-X utilizes a combination of liquid coolant, circulated in its main body like blood in a human’s (coolant and circulation system weighs around 30 kg), and cool air coming into its side intakes to cool its computer, battery, motor, brakes, and more. Air coming in the intakes is also used to cool the liquid coolant, increasing its reusability.

The Smarts

CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT

Located just beneath the antenna, the AM-X’s CPU boasts an octa-core processor, a large memory connected to DiMolto Technologies’ servers, and accelerators to help it in effectively multitasking and decision making. It’s completely made in-house specific for the AM-X, however, making reparations quite a hassle.

FULL 360° VISIBILITY

The AM-X has a full 360° sensor and camera coverage to precisely gather information about its and its opponents’ position, speed, and movements, even at night. This includes radars mounted front and rear, LIDARs on each corner, additional proximity sensors on the sides (marked with white squares) for good measure, and cameras with infrared mounted on each side as well as on top.

SELF-ASSESSMENT

The AM-X is equipped with an information system that gathers data about its tire pressure and tread status, structural integrity, battery level, motor heat, and more. This data is then used to create a risk assessment and success probabilities for determining next actions.

ENVIRONMENT ASSESSMENT

Aside from itself and its surroundings, the AM-X can detect and assess the weather, wind speed and direction, air and track humidity. A top-mounted pitot tube, humidity sensors within the splitters, and connection to the local weather forecast provider enables access to data needed to predict the AM-X’s optimum movements in rain, strong winds, and other conditions.

ACTIVE AERO PIECES

In addition to the huge fin and surrounding body panel, the AM-X has adaptable aero pieces mounted around the same level with the wheels (marked with yellow accent on the edges, whole system weighs 20 kg), which aids in braking and turning when needed and can straighten out to reduce drag.

ACTIVE PUSHROD SUSPENSIONS

Demonstrated in the early '80s to '90s by several Formula 1 teams, the active suspension maintained the vehicle’s grip and stability at its best. This was achieved by adjusting the stiffness and ride height automatically for every wheel with hydraulic actuators, to adapt to every corner, every bump, and even correcting the occurrences of oversteer or understeer.

Delphinida decided that reinstating this technology would give the AM-X an edge in the competition, especially combined with its extensive sensor coverage, increasing detection of terrain changes to adapt to. While changes in the handling were an issue for drivers in the past, they’re confident that the AM-X’s driver, an AI, won’t be too bothered by it. It can even be argued that the driver himself is naturally adjusting these suspensions, like its own appendages. A pushrod geometry was chosen for the AM-X to maintain aerodynamics, despite being less precise than the current state-of-the-art fully articulating hydraulic multi-link configuration. The active suspensions weigh about 30 kg in total.

COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS

The AM-X communicates with the team and the outside world with its low-latency GNSS antennae, sending status of itself, its surroundings, and courses of actions it plans to take, as well as distress signals if needed. The antennae also enables the AM-X to access data to its positioning, local time, and movements its sensors and cameras are obscured from.

The Soul

BABYFACE™

Babyface™ is the AM-X’s pilot, courtesy of DiMolto Technologies. A combination of a chatbot’s and a maid robot’s software, he was created as a “learning intelligence,” being able to learn from feedback via text inputs, observation of learning materials (including the world around him), as well as trial and error. Basically, a highly intelligent child.

From previous tests, the team in Delphinida and DiMolto Technologies have tirelessly bonded and trained with Babyface™ not only to train him into a proficient track runner, but also to establish a strong bond and understanding, as well as clear barriers between him and the rest of the team. Babyface™ has shown his capabilities of finding and taking chances, complex maneuvers, and even copy movements from his competitors.

However, occasionally, it has shown what can be described as “rebellious attitude,” exhibiting dirty driving as well as ignoring direct intervention via text inputs or direct control assumptions. The team usually just laughs it off, though, as it always leads to position gains. After all, Babyface™ is their child. What could possibly go wrong?

The Suppliers

DELPHINIDA

Established 2001, Delphinida is a luxury-exotic division of the Japanese company Kotatsu. By 2005, they also started working on experimental vehicles that occasionally, if successful, were later released under its own or the Kotatsu brand. The AM-X is not its first performance-focused experiments, but considering the lack of human drivers (and therefore safety concerns), this might be its craziest yet.

DIMOLTO TECHNOLOGIES

Established 2001, DiMolto Technologies started out with making electronic appliances. Over time, they started to delve into the AI market, creating programs such as chatbot, home assistant, and even helping out on national programs of third-world countries, such as electronic medical records and national censuses. The idea of Babyface™ came from an intern after watching an old anime that aired in 2019, and is now assigned to pilot the Delphinida AM-X in the upcoming Vision 2060. If the project is a success, Babyface™ may be integrated into mass products such as dolls, maid bots, and even military androids.

Gallery

by Delphinida
in collaboration with DiMolto Technologies

Background by: https://ericaofanderson.tumblr.com/

13 Likes

Y’all can fix these in your existing posts, no worries.

Note to @ArizonaCaseo regarding Hironium alloy specifically - not sure if that’ll work. It is also missing some basic spec sheet stuff such as curb weight and tire dimensions. Also what is a “dual transverse leaf sprung independent suspension” and can you explain how the rear motors are “actively cooled”? (and basic specsheet please) Otherwise the sensor stuff looks good.

Note to @Fayeding_Spray the microracer is missing a lot of spec sheets, we don’t know what it is powered by, what type of battery, what it’s made out of, suspension or aerodynamic details, and tire dimensions. (Among other things)

Note to @kaybee thank you very much for providing article links, we love it. Can you explain a little bit on the fungal biofilm tech? (why it’s needed / why reduce workload)

Note to @the-chowi can we have weights and tire dimensions too, otherwise it’s pretty good.

Note to @azkaalfafa what is a “blade” battery in this case? May also want to go more in-depth about the adaptive suspension and the KERS units - are they separate flywheels or are part of the eMotors… or use the motors to turn it into electric energy back into the batteries? Also, curb weight, torque and tire/brake dimensions would be nice. Otherwise it’s good.

A good example of showing specs for each component would be Veiona, each component of the car receiving its own detailed description and also giving the exact engineering numbers.

Anyways that’s it from me, thanks guys!

14 Likes

Can I use depleted Californium or is that too far of a stretch? If so, I’ll probably just use titanium or something else

Hmm are there any articles for this? Because as far as I know californium isn’t found in nature and its main use is to be made in laboratories as a neutron source (for other things). As for using depleted californium in an alloy, it might work but I’m not knowledgeable enough about it specifically.

Materials engineering is extremely hard so I’d advise against this route. For more reading you can do:

The closest I can find for “Hironium” is:

But even then, why do you want an extremely dense material for building your car? It might get really heavy, and although its dense, depleted uranium or its alloys aren’t well-known for its use in construction or strength, only density.

IMO materials engineering is extremely difficult (and inventing new ones moreso) but most of the advances recently are in composites - alloys are fundamentally different and I don’t see any truly revolutionary alloy coming in the next 50 years probably.

Alright, I guess Titanium is all I can use, it’s a shame since Californium is such a cool name but what can I do besides obey the laws of reality

1 Like

I’ve redone quite a bit of my post, which is good because some of the writing was just awful. I didn’t replace the main images though, because I lost the project files for those

1 Like

amendments made.

1 Like

Updated my post and added some information, hope it was enough

1 Like

Added a stat sheet to the post

1 Like

the fungal biofilm, i was hoping, would have been further explained with @Portalkat42’s entry, seeing as we collaborated on the technology aspect of our entries. but seeing as he hasn’t entered yet…

in essence, he (to my knowledge) was going to elaborate on using a biofilm akin to the radiotropic fungus as a way to do… something in the car. and in lore, my company has partnered with his to develop a modified version of their biofilm that is turned into filaments and powered by electricity for their metabolism. i don’t know his exact intentions but this is the reason for going with such a unique technology. when he posts, he should have more elaboration on the idea outright.

(and to elaborate on my end, the workload is reduced because the biofilament itself hold a small amount of electricity that it can shunt to the proper devices when needed, like a long interconnected capacitor. on the pneumatics side, this electricity is used to power a reverse piezoelectric effect on the tubes, squeezing them while the main pressure is still increasing to maximize response time and precision of actuated devices.)

i have, however, embedded suspension type and tire specifications into the post.

2 Likes

Kaybee is right about both Midlands and Cornell using biofilm tech tech to do different things with fungus. Zach has my preliminary research doc, but the TL:DR of why i’m using what I’m using is compactness and the condensing of multiple functions into one material and space. The way that Kaybee is using it focuses more on the organic and self healing aspect of the same technology. Theirs is a bit more integrated throughout the car than what Midlands has going on.

2 Likes

Work in progress

19 Likes
???

[PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT] [PLACEHOLDER TEXT]

Tristella ArinaE

Heading into 100 years of Motorsports with the Tristella brand, the marque intends to join both a view back into the past, mixed with the technology of the future. The design is to invoke a sense of passion that Tristella views as missing from the sport via a clinical pursuit of performance. This is not to say ArinaE is not designed to win however - it is rather a statement that both can be achieved at the same time.

Chassis and Aerodynamics

With the open aerodynamic restrictions, Tristella opted for a relatively pure fan car approach to the design. The chassis itself is a bespoke organic carbon-nanotube weave frame design, with a wide area underbody to maximize underbody downforce. This utilized mainly by the turbine fan to create a vacuum effect, separated into five main sections with dynamic carbon polymer skirts for suction to be concentrated where it is needed most, or moved to reduce drag. The front wing and rear diffuser is also assisted by the suction power to increase their performance at speed. As the suction effect is so strong on the ArinaE, this left the upper body free to be be an elegant, smooth design, built with a 3-piece graphene layered shell. The top shell largely takes inspiration from racers of the past, with the venting being functional for intakes/ exhaust for the turbine, vents for dirty air or a bypass to the hidden beam wing.

To keep the vehicle level and at optimal grip windows, the Arinae uses a hydraulically controlled active pushrod suspension, with it deemed a good balance of weight and adjustability. All suspension mountings and connectors are 3D printed with a titanium-steel alloy, organically designed with AI assistance to maximise strength and lightness. Adaptive calibration to key suspension setup areas - ie. camber, damping, rebound, spring rate, toe, ride height - occur up to 512Hz update frequency. This is paired with the active skirting for the suction effect; the skirts made with kevlar weave sheets coated with FEP.

Powertrain

Focusing on electric power, the ArinaE is propelled by five 400HP “Chimera IV” electric motors - one at each wheel and one for the turbine. Each motor is incased in graphene, utilizing a six-phase raxial flux design and weigh in at only 22 kg. The key for this is not to have the highest power output, but a “best of all worlds” approach - that being lightweight, high sustainable power output and reliable burst performance capabilities. This is powered by a new high capacity solid state (Li-S) battery bank, and supplemented by a supercapacitor array (allowing each motor to boost for 25% more power) mounted centrally below the turbine tunnel. Each motor can be finely controlled for optimal traction, or used to regenerate power into the supercapacitors as needed. This extends to the turbine as well, allowing for the ArinaE to receive an increase in peak downforce as necessary. The wheels utilize an active aero wheel cover, extracting air to cool when needed or covering itself for reduced drag. Putting the power to the ground is a tire compounds made with the latest synthetic rubber developed by Tyrelli for maximum grip - the specifics of which is with Tyrelli.

AI and Sensory Suite

The ArinaE utilizes a duo synchronous AI cluster of “Ari” and “Rina” , an AI pair built upon the simulations and real world experiences of racing and strategic data of Tristella’s past endevours. Iteration and experience is the name of the game with driving models, and the dual AI has plenty of that. Ari takes control of the reactive end, with a higher response rate and controls the main vehicle functions. Rina meanwhile deals with the strategic end, analyzing the ‘big picture’, doing active comparisons and adjustments, caching best and alternative best case scenarios for quick access and utilisation for Ari to use and follow.

Arinae is equipped with an extensive sensory suite - Cameras and LiDAR in all four corners, RADAR front and back, 360 degree camera, pilot tubes, humidity sensors and low latency high data throughput antennas.

Specifications

2060 Tristella ArinaE

Power pack Li-S Battery Pack and Supercapacitor Array (800 kWh, ~350kg w/ sensory suite + electricals)
Chassis Carbon Nanotube Monocoque with Graphene shell (~240kg w/ suspension components)
Suspension Front and Rear Active Pushrod
Wheels Carbon fiber w/ active aero cover 22x395 (~11kg x4)
Brakes Front and Rear Carbon Ceramic (~10kg x4)
Weight 800 kg
Downforce 900 kg Standstill, 2700 kg @ Top Speed (Turbine + Ducting + Active Skirting ~38 kg)
Powertrain 1600 hp [4x Chimera IV motors @ 400 hp], 2000 hp Overboost (~22 kg x4)
Vmax 500 kph

Gallery

References

Fan car Brabham BT46 - Wikipedia

Organic chassis + suspension design Czinger 21C - Wikipedia

Active suspension Williams FW15C - Wikipedia

Kevlar Kevlar - Wikipedia

FEP Fluorinated ethylene propylene - Wikipedia

Raxial flux motor Quark E-motor - Electric Motor | Koenigsegg

Li-S battery Lithium–sulfur battery - Wikipedia

Supercapacitor Supercapacitor - Wikipedia

AI Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia

Sensory Suite (Whatever was on the first post )

17 Likes

whelp.

2 Likes

Just double checking because Chip’s community post shows the deadline as midnight GMT. Is that the time zone the challenge is actually using? Is it using @chiefzach2018’s favorite Anywhere On Earth time? Is it using PST?

1 Like

If you mean the Discord community challenges post, the date/time is dynamic and will show the deadline in your local time­.

2 Likes