Watercooling for Turbos in the Unreal Engine?

Normally modern cars have a intercooler in them so the car doesnt need as much cooling also i the old version had them and they were good to use often

Umm, you mean the lack of water-air intercoolers one the UE version?

Yes i do didnt know how to put it

They didn’t make much of a difference gameplay wise so they had to go, it was not an interesting choice really. Seeing that you’re the first person to point out they’re missing is also telling us that they are not really missed much in general :wink: cheers!

1 Like

This game has turbos? :smiley:

cough bring on the superchargers cough

5 Likes

This is the correct response to any and all forced induction questions.

2 Likes

I object! I want modern turbo tech (variable geometry, biturbo etc.), to turbocharge EVERYTHING that isn’t a Zavir :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

BURN THE WITCH.

1 Like

I’ll be happiest when I can combine supercharger and turbocharger for maximum insanity, but I’ll undoubtedly have fun supercharging everything in the meantime when that’s available.

7 Likes

Second that.

Can’t wait to super turbo charge my boxer v16 wankel diesel.

6 Likes

How does one have a boxer wankel? Horizontally opposed rotors? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There are no water to air intercoolers in UE version? :disappointed_relieved: (even in my dad’s car the 1.2 TSI with 8V SOHC has a water to air intercooler with probably shortest piping on a turbo engine I have ever seen)

Back to the thread:
@skodakenner your title is suggesting a water-cooled turbine (VTGs mainly?).

As already mentioned… we can’t really have all the tech there is in the big world :smirk:

Yes sadly we cant have everything. Still hoping for a rotary dlc to come someday when the game is finished. One thing that is even more needed are the twin scroll turbos so we dont have the old boom turbos anymore (even though theyre cool to have but not viable in the real world anymore)

1 Like

Found this cool paper on turbo simulations which show how complicated math is involved in modeling turbos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Water to air intercoolers are going to have to come back eventually considering that they’re about all that works with roots superchargers.

Plus they also could hypothetically allow the intercooler radiator to be mounted farther away from the engine, shrinking the size of the engine that needs to go into the primary engine bay. The radiators for the 12C are at the front, for example.

Oh yeah, and when I saw this topic it got me wondering if you meant water cooled turbochargers, which do exists and seem to be the only type of turbo OEMs are using nowadays.

They also have to come back so that I can authentically reproduce in Automation the first gen. Subaru Liberty/Legacy RS Turbo!!!

I am a HUGE fan of water-to-air intercooling and I used it exclusively in the Kee engine… Please, PLEASE bring back my favourite thermal control system for turbo heat!!! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

That was the main issue, it was pretty much the goto choice for any turbo charged engine. They were just plain better for pretty much any application.

That’s why Rob says it wasn’t really an interesting choice.

If they were insanely heavy, and insanely expensive (in money, production units, and engineering time), it may balance them out some. But, even I’ll admit, they were a go-to for a long time.

Personally, I’d just be happy being able to get all forms of Air-to-Air available (and they might be, I’ve not tried building anything small) for all engines.

It’s not really that surprising that it wasn’t an interesting choice considering that other aspects of the car typically decide which type you want to use. Sometimes it doesn’t even leave you a choice, and when it’s made up fro you like that, it’s almost always water.

Also not helping was that the disadvantages of water to air weren’t really modeled, water to air intercoolers don’t actually cool the air to a lower temperature than A2A intercoolers (Unless you have a chiller or icebox), are more prone to heat soak because the heat has to travel air->water->air (unless the liquid side is giant), and cost twice as much or more.

On the other hand, air to air intercoolers tend to be a lot more difficult to integrate into min engined cars, usually involving a bunch of weird duct work.

3 Likes