What car maker are you going to base your company on?

what car maker will inspire you?
for me its ford lol my name gives it away.but just think what they have done for the motoring world? :smiley:

Iā€™m leaning toward Saturn. :slight_smile: Though mostly Iā€™m remembering playing Detroit and my made up company, though I forgot the name I had for it :blush: Iā€™m looking forward to this game more than any other!

Lancia.

And then I will make a complete unique company.

Iā€™m gonna make my own company, but based on the two ones from the comic ā€œMichel Vaillantā€ : Vaillante, the good one with nice and beautiful cars, and Leader, the bad one but with very advanced technologiesā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™d like my company to make reliable cars but with many options to have some great sports and luxury cars, or the both !

Probably Honda, reliability and quality engines is what I prefer.

Toyota, coz I love beigeā€¦ just kidding

None, as I have to try and make the car work for everyone :slight_smile:

None, Iā€™ll propably recreate particular cars, not whole companies.

I am leaning toward a Lotus or Porsche, always like the way they built

Hudson, Packard, Borgward, Glas - all of them produced quality and modern cars but they ceased because of bad management.

In the late '40s the Hudson sold very well, but in the early '50s they chosen to build a compact car instead of develop a V8 engine for their medium and full-size lineup. The new compact car, the Hudson Jet didnā€™t sold well, and the company hadnā€™t had any other choice than merge with Nash. :frowning: Could the player do better?

I think historical car manufacturers as AI controlled opponents are must have for an interesting single-player mode. There could be fake names, but in the US the player should compete against the Big Three. In Europe there should be an equivalent of VW, Mercedes, Renault, Fiat etc. They are needed to play ā€œcould I done better than XY did?ā€ scenarios.

Again, no real names because of copyright issues, but everyone would recognize a German company, which makes rear-engined sports cars with an air-cooled flat six. :slight_smile: Or a French car with hydro-pneumatic suspension and avantgarde design.

IMHO fantasy names with modified exterior designs but with real mechanical parameters are the way to go. This would be the historical mode, beside that there should be a ā€œrandomā€ mode, or a a semi-historical.

[quote=ā€œRedRiotā€]Hudson, Packard, Borgward, Glas - all of them produced quality and modern cars but they ceased because of bad management.

In the late '40s the Hudson sold very well, but in the early '50s they chosen to build a compact car instead of develop a V8 engine for their medium and full-size lineup. The new compact car, the Hudson Jet didnā€™t sold well, and the company hadnā€™t had any other choice than merge with Nash. :frowning: Could the player do better?

I think historical car manufacturers as AI controlled opponents are must have for an interesting single-player mode. There could be fake names, but in the US the player should compete against the Big Three. In Europe there should be an equivalent of VW, Mercedes, Renault, Fiat etc. They are needed to play ā€œcould I done better than XY did?ā€ scenarios.

Again, no real names because of copyright issues, but everyone would recognize a German company, which makes rear-engined sports cars with an air-cooled flat six. :slight_smile: Or a French car with hydro-pneumatic suspension and avantgarde design.

IMHO fantasy names with modified exterior designs but with real mechanical parameters are the way to go. This would be the historical mode, beside that there should be a ā€œrandomā€ mode, or a a semi-historical.[/quote]

Just changing a letter or two in the names of companies should be sufficient.

There was another car tycoon type game called ā€œCarbizā€ made by a little independent developer that modified the names of car companies like that. The game wasnā€™t nearly as detailed as this thoughā€¦ kinda like a remake of detriot.

It has names like Fort instead of ford, Opal instead of Opel, Fiad intstead of Fiat, etc.

Although parodied names might be better in some casesā€¦ Beta Romeo instead of Alfa Romeo(futurama, lol)

And since the outside body panels wouldnā€™t be 100% exact and the names would be different I donā€™t see any reason why they couldnā€™t look very close to their real counterparts.

Some of the cars in Grand Theft Auto for example are VERY close looking to their real models and they didnā€™t have any legal trouble.

As for what car company I will makeā€¦ Its a tough choice. At first I will probably make a company that produces all of my mad designs floating around my head. Like a Front mid mounted Flat 6, rear wheel drive sports car in the styling close to that of a Ferrari 275 or Fairlady Z and a small car availible with engines from a 1.6L I4 to a 2.5-3.0L V8 to name a couple.

After that I might try and play as specific Companies and make cars in their styleā€¦ Perhaps a fictional Russian car company making crazy little russian carsā€¦ Reminds me of this funny Top Gear video: youtube.com/watch?v=pCESfa1m ā€¦ re=related

I would say most likely we will have close to real car manufacturers with different names and logos as you have both suggested :smiley:

Oh, and Iā€™ll definitely recreate FSM Beskid. If Poland hasnā€™t been occupied by foolish communists after war, we could have nice cars and automotive industry.

Most likely base the company in Iran (For the oil boom economy) and base the cars around a ā€œaffordable semi-luxury carā€ design.

hmmā€¦ iran u sayā€¦ what about the revolution ending the schah and with it the US influence?

since im on topic for politicsā€¦ will we be able to influence them behind the scenes? like ā€œif u raise taxes ill build the new production elsewhereā€¦ā€; which seems to be normal today for the bigger corps.

[quote=ā€œDeus ex Machinaā€]hmmā€¦ iran u sayā€¦ what about the revolution ending the schah and with it the US influence?
[/quote]

From what I read on wiki, the revolution left the car industry untouched.

right, now im curious enough to search it instead of going to bedā€¦

in the german wiki about iran car industry isnt even mentioned, so link plz.

[quote=ā€œDeus ex Machinaā€]right, now im curious enough to search it instead of going to bedā€¦

in the german wiki about iran car industry isnt even mentioned, so link plz.[/quote]

The more you know!

Guess you wonā€™t have to worry about fuel economy with all that oil :slight_smile:

One of my ideas is to recreate British Leyland is all its miserable glory. Make poor quality cars, have too many sub-companies, make models that are redundant and compete with my own models and pay my workers poorly and watch them go on strikeā€¦ Damn commies :laughing:

Quite funny in Iran. All of us in the West are worried over high oil prices but Wiki says wasteful use is the problem over thereā€¦ Though, Wiki also says that Iā€™d need to change emissions of my engines if I want to sell to EU countries.

If I donā€™t go the luxury car route, I would take the pick-up truck business.

well having read they wikilink u posted (thx btw) i agree that there should be enough of realism for starting in iran. as for the pick ups i think u have enough space for them, unlike most (i assume; but i know for germany and austria) of europe, where space is either built upon, a mountain (i really should head to bed, cant even remember how to write that wordā€¦) or otherwise used. and on road with small pathways in the old cities and 5 x 2 to 5,5 x 2,5 m parking lots means ā€œwastingā€ space for a loading area isnt that highly thought of.