Yugo's Car Design and Lore Repository

"From the Top..."

Welcome to the Home of Unique and Interesting Automobiles

Before we start, a short intro:

Yes, yes, I know I’ve done this before, three times before I might add, but I’m willing to start again. This time, it’s any and all cars that I make and their accompanying lore that are going to be stuffed into one thread because I find it to be easier that way.

In this thread you can expect to find cars and lore from the following brands:

Mayland Motors Ltd.

Leclerc Industries

Shepard-Westminster

IVERA Motors AB

Union Motors Incorporated n

IVERA - Union Group

KING Motor Company

There might also be random lore posts unrelated to cars that I may post in place of a car in the event I don’t make one. Lore posts will share a similar structure with this intro post, and may include dialogue between company executives, sales reports, car advertisements and anything else I can think of.

But for now, since I haven’t got anything new to share, enjoy this image of the three trim levels of the car I submitted to LHC:

4 Likes

1986 - 1992 IVERA Executive (T1/TYP 01)

1976, The world has felt the wrath of the Oil Crisis and cars are changing more than ever. However, 1976 also marks the year when IVERA Motors began development on what would become their new flagship in the new lineup for the 1980s. The project was called Ny Idé (Swedish for New Idea) and it was the biggest step in IVERA’s history since 1947. You see, in 1969, IVERA Motors had changed the direction they wanted to take. They could not be seen as the knock off Volvo, or a sad Saab impersonator, they needed to be original and quickly. So, they made a drastic change in direction, and decided to position their cars in the market above where Volvo and other brands like it lived. Come 1976, it was time to begin thinking about what the future would look like, specifically the early and mid 1980s.

Thus, Project Ny Idé was initiated. The project would see the development of what would be the biggest, baddest IVERA that could be. Several designers took a shot at New Idea, but one of the designs stood out the most, from an automotive designer named Hugo Nilsson. Nilsson had taken inspiration from the British Rover SD1 and the venerable Anhultz Dione, and their sleek liftback shapes and translated it into IVERAs design language.

Come 1980, the project lost about half its development team following a financial blunder resulting in a class action lawsuit, the loss of about 2 million dollars. Predictably this resulted in delays, and pushed the project’s completion date from July 1983, to February 1986. Eventually, in the spring of 1985, IVERA made a press release, where the name of the car and the finalized design were finally revealed. In the winter of that year, automotive journalists received further news that the car had begun production and would debut at the 1986 Geneva Motor Show and would go on sale the next month.

Camper shells could be fitted to the Executive in the event that the owner purchased with camping in mind.

The Executive came with a plethora of engines, and many interesting additions. It featured several trim levels, with the top of the line trim level featuring a 5L V8 until 1988, when a version with a 6.2L V12 was launched in response to BMW’s 7 series being put on sale with a V12 the year before it. 1988 also introduced a facelift, with four composite headlights instead of eight individual headlights. The car also had an onboard fire suppression system which activated in the event of a crash where the fuel tank or fuel lines were ruptured, before the system was removed from later cars and made an option extra instead of standard equipment. Phones were introduced on cars past 1988 as an option as well, both in the front and rear. The hydropneumatic suspension (slightly different to the Citroen system) was fitted to all trim levels for maximum comfort, and was the subject of minor controversy in the automotive world.

During the entire production run from 1986 to 1992, IVERA made around 52,000 cars most of the sales coming from model years 1986, 1987, 1989 and 1991.

Production began in November 1985 and ended on April 1st 1992.

This generation was succeeded by the T2/Typ 2 IVERA Executive which was produced from 1992 to 1997.

Vehicles pictured in order of appearance: 1988 IVERA Executive LXT-12, 1986 IVERA Executive LXT

4 Likes

It may look like a brick, but it’s a plush brick - one that can stand toe-to-toe with its German, Japanese, British and American contemporaries.

1996 - 2013 Leclerc 54 Series

Leclerc Industries comes from the far flung nation of Velkaristan, (There is some lore here but it’s not relevant to the topic), and happens to be the sole manufacturer of passenger cars there. Everything from small shitbox hatchbacks, to full size luxury limousines, hell they even make SUVs and pickup trucks. However, the reason behind this is that, in Velkaristani society, your wealth or social status dictates which cars you can buy. (Again, there’s a deeper explanation, but I’ll make a separate thread when I have the time)

Anyway, the Leclerc 54 series is the one of the biggest and baddest Leclercs money can buy. Coming in 5 trim levels, with optional AWD, and hundreds of features and comforts. But, civilian cars only came with a range of V6 engines, with the displacements being, 2.7L, 3.0L, 3.5L, and 3.8. V8 models, rather any V8 powered Leclerc models, were strictly limited to the ultra wealthy, the Velkaristan National Police, and the state and even then, there were limits as well. Civilian V8 models were only equipped with a 4.2L V8, while Government and Police models had, a choice between a 6.2L unit, or a smaller 5.4L version. The cars with the 5.4 were rear wheel drive while the ones with the larger engine were all wheel drive.

From 1996 to 1999, two manual transmissions were offered, these being a 5 speed on the base level 54i and a 6 speed on the AWD variant of the 3.8 V6 powered 54GT.

The more basic cars the 54i, 54S and 54XS could be distinguished by their dual exhaust, while the 54GT and 54GT V8 bore quad exhausts.

Government variants of the 54 series, were usually painted all black, had tinted windows, and possessed small red flags on the fenders above the side indicators. It was the same story for any other Leclerc model used by the government.

In conclusion the 54 series was an interesting car, and despite the fact the name is almost 27 years old, it lives on as a completely revised automobile, on a completely new platform, in both government and civilian roles, powered by turbocharged V6s and 4-pots. Plus, even though the new 54 exists, the older models of the venerable 54 still continue to be used by the Velkaristan government today.

Pictured is the Leclerc 54X in its government specification

2 Likes

1998 Westminster 4.8E

With offroad prowess that would never see anything outside a little bit of snow and ice or rain on asphalt roads, the Westminster, a large SUV from the Shepard - Westminster corporation, is the car of choice for oppulent celebrities or drug dealers. However, at the top, amongst the 3.5 V6, 4.2 V8 and a 4.6 V8, is the 4.8E. It sports four wheel drive, a 4.8L V8 making 310hp and reliability that is outpaced by cheap malaise shitboxes. Thanks to depreciation, this car loses over 80% of its original value, which means you can pick one up for 10 grand. But should you? No. Its a stereotypical, electrical gremlin possessed, oil leaking, timing jumping box of metal. Fuel economy is also quite a pain in the ass, especially thanks to aero dynamics.

All that aside however, the Westminster is a very good car when its not falling apart at the seams. It’s engine has good power, it has lots of features, satnav included, very pleasant and peaceful driving experience and when it does snow, you can rest assured that the 4x4 system despite it never seeing the great outdoors won’t let you down. Like its near identical twin brother, the Range Rover (somehow there’s not been a lawsuit over copyright yet), it sold reasonably well, mostly as a cheaper, and more restrained alternative.

Pictured is the Westminster 4.8E, the top of the range trim.

2 Likes