CSR116 - Big Attitude, Small Appetite.
Nestled high in the mountains between Fruinia and Hetvesia, the tiny Republic of Sana Marzio has undergone a remarkable transformation in the last fifty years. Once a sleepy, rugged nation known more for their wool production, the country has become a centre for financial services for the wealthy, owing to its relaxed financial laws and very low income taxes, with nearly 500,000 residents packing its 33 square-kilometre area. Along with a thriving tourism industry revolving around the country’s many casinos, Sana Marzio has become a place to see and be seen if you’re a high roller.
However, this influx of people and money has had its consequences; traffic in Sana Marzio is among the worst of any country in the world, with the roads and parking garages of the country clogged with parked cars, further exacerbating the traffic problems. Additionally, Sana Marzio is totally dependent on imports of fuel from neighbouring Fruinia and Hetvesia, something the government felt it needed to address, along with the country’s enormous carbon footprint for its size. As such, the Government of Sana Marzio passed some of the most brutal automotive taxation laws in the world in 2018, which charges a substantial registration fee on all new cars registered in the republic, along with some of the highest annual road taxes in the world as well.
So, what am I looking for?
I am looking for a supercar. But not any supercar; it has to be a car that looks, feels and drives the part, but isn’t going to cost a fortune to purchase and own in Sana Marzio. This means, you’re going to have to look at very small displacement engines, trading power and fuel economy with each other. I have created a spreadsheet for you to calculate your car’s registration fee, as well as its annual road tax, found here:
Make sure to make a copy of this sheet, so you can use it on your own!
The spreadsheet calculates two things; Registration Tax and Road Tax. Here’s how they work:
Registration tax is calculated based on your car’s approximate price (found in the Markets tab in-game) with taxation brackets; meaning, every dollar in the first bracket is taxed at a certain rate, then every dollar in the next higher bracket is charged at a higher rate, and so on; all of these brackets are then added together to get your registration tax. Additionally, any car that burns more than 6 litres per 100 kilometres gets hit with a fuel economy levy, which can become extremely onerous very quickly.
Road Tax is calculated based on engine displacement, fuel economy and the length and width of the car. Like the registration tax, these numbers become very large, very quickly - just as an example, a V12-powered Scagliati La Serenissima will incur $600,000 in registration tax alone, and cost nearly as much per year in road tax.
- Trim year must be set to 2020.
- Minimum two seats
- Catalytic converters are mandatory
- 98 RON fuel ONLY
- Minimum 45 Safety
- Must have ESC at minimum
- Semi-slick tires are banned, tires must use 0 Quality ONLY
Please note that there are no PU or ET restrictions in this challenge; it is up to you to determine how expensive your car should be. But, do note how the registration and road tax calculator works, as cars with a high cost get ruinously expensive to own very quickly!!!
- DESIGN - This is a supercar, it needs to look the part, and not be some jumped up hot hatchback or dowdy old sedan. Let your imagination run wild.
- COST - This car needs to be reasonable to purchase - the client does not want to be charged a 300 percent registration tax, and neither do they want to pay double the car’s value every year in road tax.
- SPORTINESS - This is a supercar, do I really need to tell you that it needs to be sporty?
- FUEL ECONOMY - This ties into cost, but this car needs to be absolutely as efficient as possible.
- PERFORMANCE METRICS - Acceleration, handling, top speed and Automation Test Track lap times are very, very important.
- DRIVEABILITY - Sana Marzio has narrow, hilly streets all over the place. If this car is a dog to drive, it will spend its time in the garage, and that defeats the purpose of this car, doesn’t it?
- COMFORT - This is a modern supercar and not some stripped-out trackday special, it should have at least some creature comforts.
- PRESTIGE - Sana Marzio is a place to see and be seen, and who wants to be seen in something that will get you laughed at?
- REALISM - Yes, the premise isn’t the most realistic ever in CSR, but min-maxing will still be punished like always. Try to make realistic choices whenever possible.
- SAFETY - This will be a thoroughly modern car, so it should be reasonably safe, and there will be some bonus for safety over and above the required miniumum
- ENGINE NOISE - Considering the heavy taxation scheme on cars in Sana Marzio, you can guarantee they will frown upon loud cars.
Anything not mentioned will not be evaluated in the finals.
- All cars MUST have an advertisement posted in the thread before the submission window closes.
- All non-meme mods from the Steam Workshop are allowed. If I get an error loading your car, I will send you a PM on the forums to try to address this issue.
Submission Guidelines and Deadline
Naming convention remains the same as always:
Car and engine model name: CSR116 - YOUR FORUMS USERNAME
Car trim: Brand, model and variant of car
Engine trim: Engine model/variant
RESUBMISSION OF ENTRIES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED UNLESS I SEND A PM TO YOU REQUESTING RESUBMISSION!!!
If your entry does not comply with the naming convention, you will be binned with extreme prejudice!
Rules discussion begins immediately, with the rules becoming final, barring any serious issue, at Midnight GMT on Wednesday, December 18th. The submission window will then open, with submissions being allowed until Midnight GMT on Sunday, December 29th; note that due to the upcoming Christmas holidays, the submission window is slightly longer than normal.
Good luck and have fun!
Please note that due to continuing issues with the Open Beta branch, this CSR will be run on the stable branch only.
A Final Note on Conduct and Etiquette In This Thread
CSR 115 was a shitshow of poorly behaved idiots ruining things for everyone else. If you’re going to be like that, insulting myself and/or the other entrants, don’t bother sending a car to me because it’s going straight into the bin sight unseen. Additionally, I want discussion to remain as closely related to the challenge as possible; you want to talk about other stuff or complain, go make your own thread.