Official Car Design Competition (UE4 Open Beta)

Yup, you car was not in there as it failed to import, which gives a -1. You probably used the wrong version of the game. That is the case for all cars you submitted. You needed to use the “openbeta” branch, not the “default” branch, this was stated in the rules. Sorry that didn’t work out for you.

Thank you for replying, I should have paid more attention.
<3

is there a difference between openbeta and crash_helper?

I think there is, yes!

ok… so are cars entered in crash_helper eligible or no?

If the cars work then they are, I don’t know if they do or not, the rules state “openbeta branch, version R5”. I think the crash_helper version lags behind the openbeta branch as it has specialized logging.

Owch, I gotta be honest I thought my Cat B was better than the A.

Guess I went a bit too heavy on the “keep it simple” mantra I was going for, oh well.

both car named with Prima Anila and Pragata Prima without any competition category sent by skyboy19 since its my steam ID

i can only hope that you already saved my car and reviewed it for now

I like that you guys reward creativity in car design. Watching the first two videos already gives me a good estimate, how many points I will probably lose by being too focused on “era” and “lore” correct design. :confused:

Anyway, it’s fun to see the all the different approaches and I am already looking forward to you going in-depth with your judgements in the final rounds!

4 Likes

Kinda reassuring to slowly reach into more modern eras… I’m way down on chrome use. "^^

I mean, dem grilles, c’m’on!

Hey everyone, been away for quite some time. This competition coaxed me into playing the game again, I hadn’t previously had a chance to try out the game in the new engine with the market part intact. This was a great incentive to give it another go. Looking great by the way!

A big thanks to the team here at Camshaft, this competition has been a lot of fun and surely a ton of extra work for you guys.

I also wanted to share a couple of things that I learned from my mistakes that might help inexperienced players like myself in future competitions.

1. Pay no mind to the engineering problems and warnings you get as you build the car. They don’t count towards scoring, and you will spend a lot of time trying to iron the problems out. What you end up with is a car that is more fit for the Nurburgring than a car to be driven on the street. When I saw these warnings come up, I assumed that they would greatly affect the final score of my car and spent all my time swapping suspension types/settings, wheel/tire sizes, brake settings, etc., until all the problems were fixed. My engineering was described as “terrible”. OUCH! lol.

2. The competitiveness score for your car is not out of 100. I didn’t realize that they could go above 100 and actually need to be far above that in the category you’re in to be competitive. Another big screw up on my part.

3. Just because something looks good in your eyes doesn’t mean that others will see it the same way. From what I’ve seen so far, you’re much better off going for creativity or whackyness to score your points for the appearance of your car. Take plenty of risks in your styling to keep it interesting to the judges.

Anyways, I hope these tips help out others, and a big thanks again to Camshaft for putting on this competition!

3 Likes

Impatiently awaiting todays video with equal amounts of excitement and dread.

I wouldn’t say pay NO mind to the problems because some of them are serious hindrances >.> brake force / fade. But in general, yes. The game is a little to trigger happy on some of the warnings and isn’t always an especially good judge of context. That damn “springs are soft for cargo volume” thing is probably causing more harm than it’s fixing. To get that warning to go away for virtually anything but trucks, your springs will literally be at spinal compression injury stiffnesses.

Aren’t we all :wink:? And excitement and dread… yes. I dare say this category will probably attract some of the best and also worst cars :upside_down_face:.

This one appears on ALL of my cars, at this point idgaf xD

Honestly I think some of those warnings are aimed at just certain categories, which aren’t necessarily the one you’re building a car for.
“Springs are too hard”? Well shucks I ain’t building a Citroën CX fam.
“Springs are too soft for cargo volume” does it look like a lorry? No it doesn’t, Jessica.

Do mind the steering curves, and try and keep the Drivability and Sportiness dots within the two lines.

Do mind brake force, from the moment brake technology allows you to actually reach them grip curves.

Do mind bottom out because that literally affects all stats when it happens.

Do mind roll angle because you can easily fix it without hurting other stats.

And then, focus on the stats that are relevant to the car’s category. :wink:

3 Likes

I took the warnings the wrong way then. When I see yellow and red and exclamation points my immediate thought was “oh shit, this car is dangerous, the judges are going to fillet me for this!!!” Turned out quite the opposite.

I would have made one hell of a 1950s race car I suppose.

I did the same. I knew the warnings didn’t affect the stats but I did think they’d affect the judging. I didn’t want to submit a car that would become undrivable when fully seated with passengers. I wasn’t aware of how sensitive the warnings were when I submitted. Oh well.

You’d think if there’s a warning for load capacity that there would be a similar, more serious warning for spring stiffness that breaks the passengers’ spines. If there were, I would have probably toned things down quite a bit.

i can say this.

disregard the blue ones.
think about the yellow ones
REALLY think about the red ones, unless you’re building under a certain limit and can’t do much about it

Hey, what happened to the muscle car I submitted? Did you not get the email or didn’t the car import like it was supposed to? I made the car in R5 with 100% vanilla parts and I swear I sent it to the right adress. Even sent it more than an hour before deadline.

@Chipskate How about you watch the video…
(yes, passive aggressive xD, too many are asking the same stupid question when their car actually is in the video)

Hint: the entries are in alphabetical order and you can see the names in the video, so you should be able to skip to your car without too much trouble