The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@Leonardo9613 Thanks for clearing that up. Might rework the Erin canon come UE4 then…

Audi A2 used aluminum at early '00s too, had a lot of criticism because of the difficult to fix the body.

its not easy to weld aluminium, it can oxidize fast

@nomade0013 only way to fix it is a hammer

The problem is not that it oxidises fast (it is problematic but there are ways to get round it) its that the oxide layer is so tough, unlike iron (III) oxide, which isnt strong at all, allowing oxygen to permeate even further.

2 Likes

The expense of tooling for aluminum bodies explains why both of my companies, Harris and Albury, reserved them for models that did not have to be mass-produced on the same scale as steel-bodied ones.

1 Like

You would also have drawn the ire of users who specifically put that in as a unique feature as part of their interpretation in the brief, so I’m rather glad you didn’t.

That said while I said in OP that the conditions of buying were subjective as it is in real life, I should remind everybody that Automation represents an interface between fantasy and reality: it can reflect it but also subvert it. The fairest way to go about this is to at least convey how true to life you want to be in each round. I don’t think this has truly been explicitly stated in most precious rounds hence a bit of wiggle room for confusion and saltiness. There’s no need for a hard rule on it, but just saying for future hosts.

7 Likes

So, here are the rules! I wasn’t joking when i said it would involve a category of cars many people hate. Let’s hope i can run this properly.

##CSR34 - Crossing Over

18th February, 2017, Colorado, USA.

The humming of a desktop PC’s fans pierces the silence of the night, as he drinks another coffee to stay awake while sending several emails. To who? Car dealerships.
He’s looking for a new car, after his old SUV broke down one last time. This time, he’s looking for a crossover, to fulfill his needs without being as expensive to mantain as his old set of wheels. The needs being: Having a car that can comfortably go off paved roads, has space for 5 people, and can carry his sports equipment, while being safe, easy to drive, and economical. He can’t really afford a premium car, and doesn’t need a massively powerful engine. Now, time to wait for the dealerships to send him their offerings.

##Rules:

Trim year 2017
Regular Unleaded fuel required (91RON, 87AKI)
Minimum Fuel Economy: 25MPG (US)
V8s and V12s are BANNED
Production Unit Limit: 110 (Trim), 75 (Engine)
Engineering Time Limit: 80 (Trim), 105 (Engine)
Budget: $25,000 @ 40% markup

Not really a rule, but a reccomendation, be sensible and realistic with your design choices.

Use the standard naming scheme.

##Entry Deadline:

#February 25th, 22:00 GMT

18 Likes

Trim year 2017 and standard naming scheme im guessing? Also does it have to resemble a crossover or does it just need to have similar abilities to one?

You guessed right, forgot to add that in.

Make it look the way you think would be sensible.

Ah, crossovers… The bread and butter of 21st century motoring as far as sales are concerned. I might have to consider several approaches for this one…

you can consider as many approaches as you want as long as you only end up submitting one :wink:

5 Likes

I think the Gamma Suri that was presented in 2017 Detroit Auto Show would be a good choice for this round.

ooo crossovers, i started making a lineup of them, so i’ll be having a go at this then :wink:

2 Likes

i’m gonna approach this VERY laterally.

Since I suck at crossovers and I do indeed hate them, I’m going to approach them as simply and sensibly as possible :joy: (hahar, wasn’t expecting that were you!)

1 Like

10 Likes

91 OCTANE IN 2017?

1 Like

Um… Yes? We still do that.

2 Likes

Well, America.

2 Likes

In Australia you can still find 91 octane in most towns and cities, even if you’re far away from the state or territorial capitals. Now I have to ask myself: should I go with 6 cylinders, or stay with a four-banger, especially when the engineering time and production unit limits are taken into account?