The Search for a Sportscar - The Agile and the Angry

@TheAlmightyTwingo I see you’ve posted an ad but I have yet to receive your .car file by PM. Make sure to send that to me before the deadline.

totally forgot, sorry. I’ll send it as quick as possible

After the success with the Julio Racing series, sponsored by VitiaCo, the Flamers Motor Company have produced the final send off to the Julio Mk1, the Super Sport edition. With an updated 2 litre, 5 cylinder, turbo changed engine under the bonnet based off of the race engine you can expect nothing short of an exhilarating drive.

The Julio Super Sport is not a 2 seater racer though, instead it is designed with 4 full sized seats so you can bring your whole family along for the ride. Fitted with some of the latest technology in order to keep you safe you can be assured that you will arrive safely to your destination.

You can also rest assured that the Julio Super Sport benefits from the increased efficiency with the new engine, achieving over 43 mpg (UK) its is a hot hatch that you can afford to drive on a daily basis.

The Julio Super Sport will leave a smile on your face. Guaranteed*.

Not an actual guarantee

2 Likes

1989 - Ponni Trapial

Ponni Trapial, painted in Dark Jade Metallic shown in the image above.

INFORMATION: Ponni Trapial

Built by Ponni Motors Corporation (POMOCO) from 1986 to 1994 and sold in the United States of America. It’s named after the word used by the native Argentinian Mapuches to describe a male cougar in Mapungundun, their mother language. It’s a front-engined, rear wheel drive coupé. It was built with the intention to attend several market demographics, and because of that, it’s often considered a mix of a muscle, sport and a GT car.

This sleek looking two-seater features a state of the art 330ci (5.4 L) V8 with double overhead cams and four valves per cylinder, fed by a newly developed PMI (Ponni Multi-Inject) multipoint fuel injection system, mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and making 270 hp at 5500 RPM and 317 ft-lb of torque at 2700 RPM, with 90% available from 2000 RPM to 4000 RPM. With this level of power, one might think the car was given forged internals, but you’d be wrong, the tune on the engine is so mild that only cast parts were used. On later model years, the car featured a 390 hp version of the same engine with minimal changes. This really is a proof of how restrained the original engine was.

In the chassis department, it features double-wishbone suspension and gas-filled shock absorbers on all four corners, giving the Trapial the ability to corner at .97 g with just medium compound tires, the suspension has been tuned to be sporty while still retaining a comfortable ride. This, combined with the variable-assist power steering system, anti-lock brakes and traction control system make up for a docile, while still fast, driving experience.

In the interior, the experience isn’t as bad as one might expect at first while thinking of a sportscar, POMOCO gave their precious creation a premium-quality interior, full of leather and top-quality plastic for the dash. Sound wise, this sportscar was given a premium cassette system with five speakers.

The Trapial got a 5-star safety rating, thanks to the use of advanced 80s technology the car’s monocoque chassis and body panels were made of a strong yet light steel construction. This makes the car a very light one, weighing just a bit above 3000 lbs (1375 kg).

This much car for just $17,864 AMD (Automation Dollars @ 0% markup).

DETAILED IMAGES

4 Likes

Entries are now closed!

That wraps up Part I of The Search for a Sportscar.

Some stats so far:

• 29 cars entered
  • Average price of $14,456
  • Average 0-100 km/h time of 7.28s
  • Average build year of 1987

Stay tuned for Part II coming shortly, along with a new thread title better fitting the theme.

4 Likes

Part II: The Agile and the Angry

Now comes the fun part. I’ve got all the stock cars and I’ve taken a look at them. This next part is to have the cars customised for the upcoming movie, The Agile and the Angry. All the cars will have a role in the movie, but the winners of the challenge will be the star cars.

(In case it’s not obvious, I’m looking for cars in the vein of those in The Fast and the Furious.)

The two main cars will be those belonging to the protagonists in the second act, played by Dave Rennen and Tim Petrol. The three secondary star cars will be for Jake Kim, as well as Rennen’s and Petrol’s cars in the first act. Down the list from those will be the cars for three accomplices (casting still to be determined). The Cascadia Hariken on the banner (driven by Rennen’s love interest) can be used as an example of the sort of car that’s expected.
All the other cars will appear in the background, but the camera will focus most on the aesthetically pleasing ones.

Build requirements:

• Create a new trim for your car and new variant for your engine.

• Car trim and engine variant year set to 2001.

• All engine and mechanical parts are changeable except for the chassis tab. So no changing the chassis, engine position, panel material, or suspension. Quality is also not changeable on the chassis tab.

• Drivetype on the drivetrain tab is changeable.

• No changing morphs with the exception of wheel arches and bumpers.

• Engine swaps are allowed but still no V10, V12, or V16.

• 98 RON unleaded fuel only. Catalytic converter not required.

• No direct injection.

• Race parts and downforce undertrays are allowed.

• Engine reliability of at least 40. Wouldn’t want anything blowing up outside the script.

• Transmission must be manual for those shifting cinematics.

• Interior must be changed to Sport Interior at 0 quality. No seats can be added, but seats can be removed to a minimum of two full front seats.

• Entertainment must be changed to a CD player. Premium CD and Luxury CD will be considered as custom trunk audio systems.

• Safety must be changed to ‘None’ at 0 quality.

• Power steering must remain as it is or be removed entirely.

• Cars with traction aids must drop it down to ABS only, while cars without ABS must remain at ‘None’.

• Cooling set to at least 50. These cars will be driven hard for extended periods and we can’t have engines overheating.

• Sport compound tires only.

• 1/4 mile time under 13.5 seconds. Assume that a NOS system fitted for the movie will make it drop below 10 seconds.

• Top speed at least 200 km/h (124 mph).

• At least 30 drivability. These cars will also be driven by actors, not just stuntmen.

• No active wings or suspension parts (hydropneumatic and air suspension are allowed, as are adaptive dampers).

As stated in Part I, the price, engineering time, and production unit limits are the same:

• Maximum price = $25,000 @0%
  • Maximum trim Production Units = 120
  • Maximum trim Engineering Time = 40
  • Maximum engine Production Units = 80
  • Maximum engine Engineering Time = 55

If you are unable to modify your car for the performance requirements, submit the best you can do. It will still be able to qualify for a non-racing background role, so make sure it looks good.

Also, while there’s technically no limits on what you’re allowed to change in terms of fixtures, it would be best if the original car is still recognisable. You know, so people know what dealerships to visit for their new cars after watching the movie.

Scoring

Each car will be assigned a certain number of points; the winners will be the cars with the most points. There are multiple approaches that can be taken to get the most points, so I’ll leave that up to you.

• Drivability: 1 point for every full point over 30.

• Sportiness: 1 point for every full point over 30. -1 point for every full point under 30.

• Prestige: 1 point for every full point, up to 50.

• Comfort: -2 points for every full point under 10.

• Speed: 5 points for every full 1/10 of a second faster than a 13.5s quarter mile.

• HP: 5 point for every complete increment of 50 hp.

• Engine: 10 bonus points for keeping the original engine.

• Stereo: 2 points for standard CD, 6 points for premium CD, 12 points for luxury CD.

• Style: 1-50 points, entirely subjective for how fitting the car is to the movie aesthetic and also how fitting it is to the type of car.

Part II submission deadline is Friday September 21st at 23:59 GMT

Deadline Timer

Naming scheme:

Model: Sportscar - [your username]
Trim: Car Name (company included)
Family: Sportscar - [your username]
Variant: Engine Name

Send me the .car file by PM before the deadline. No points for showcasing your car in the thread, but I’ll appreciate it.

Let me know if there’s anything that doesn’t make any sense.

10 Likes

I get that some movie magic is going to be necessary here, but as a rule of thumb, every two seconds of quarter-mile ET, horsepower basically need to be doubled. Perhaps these cars are going to be fitted with a 300 Shot of Nos or whatever, but given what High shots of Nos has a tendency to do to engines (this is just a 100 shot by the way) I’d say you’re either going to need a lot of spares or a lot of Movie Magic.

3 Likes

Ideally I’d have had the number lower, but based on testing 13.5 seconds is about as low as I could get it to make it reasonable for at least most (if not all) of the cars to achieve.

So yeah, plenty of movie magic.

1 Like

Screw it.

Doesn’t fit in the 2001 timeframe, but what the hell, it works.
Better power per liter than a Chiron, but it gets 9.7 MPG. Runs super rich so it can spit flames for the camera.

8 Likes

VG33’s (Trash) works presents!

387HP N/A Engine V8, HKS Aftermarket Side Exhausts, Classic Golden Rims, Huge Spoiler (That barely does anything), WideBody Kit, Aftermarket Headlights and tailights, “TRU” Transmission cooler, And a shit load of decals (“4x4” Logo in the rear= +1000HP).

It should be enough. (i think)

9 Likes

Do you mean the exact same engine?

I’m assuming it means same base engine? As in keeping the 2L 4-cylinder (or whatever) and tuning that up instead of swapping it out for a 5L V8 etc…?

@thecarlover correction?

I’ve created a 2001 spec of my original engine with new materials, valves and a turbo. DOHC/4/VVL/T instead of SOHC/2.

It’s still an i5 1996cc.

Take a 1974 FM HiWay GR2000 bodyshell.

Drop in a new spec engine. Same size but modern materials, modern VVL head and a turbo.

Wider, larger wheels meant that we had to extend the wheel arches to accommodate the new rims and rubber.

New 6 speed manual transmission that still feeds the rear wheels.

New modern LED lights all round.

Luxury CD to entertain you.

Important stuffs…
366bhp
0-60 - 4.6s
Top speed - 158mph
1/4 mile - 12.66s
31mpg

Price (@ 0% and no safety) $24,922

2 Likes

Quality sliders are bit messy, especially on the trim. I could tune the car up with the sliders to get good numbers while conforming to the 25,000 $ budget, only for the price to increase and go above the budget after returning.
Any ruling on this?
Also, is the “original engine” supposed to be “same engine family as the engine on the production car”?

The 10 bonus points for engine is from keeping the same engine family in the car. Feel free to modify it as much as you like.

@Urbanliner I’m not sure what your issue with the price is? As long as the modified trim stays within the ET/PU and price limits, it’s fine.

2 Likes

I just had a problem where the price would be under-rated, not to mention that the settings that caused the problem would violate the PU regulation as well.

The modified Julio that was used in the Agile and Angry films was based upon the race version of the Julio family, keeping with the same 2L 5 cylinder engine found in both the road and race specifications the engine department deep in the skunkworks of Flamers Motor Company managed to squeeze a massive 450bhp out of the Julio. In order to be able to put down this much power they had to modify the drivetrain to be all wheel drive.

At the request of the film director, most of the power is now being sent to the back wheel in order to get those sweet, sweet, drifting shots. In order to make sure that the car is able to stop the brakes have been upgraded to large rotor carbon ceramic disks with an aggressive, racey pad.

To show off the style that the Flamers Motor Company provides the Julio was provided with a Luxury CD player as well as a sports interior. You will also notice that the Julio has been lowered from even its racing setup, as is customary with modified vehicles, to get that true cruising style.

To make sure that the Julio is truly unmissable a special edition colour was created for this Julio called “Need For Orange”, a colour that has never been seen before in the Flamers Motor Company range. As a styling flair racing stripes have been added, as we all know, stripes add 50 bhp.

Vital Stats:

• 450.7bhp
  • 8,300 rpm red line
  • Modified 2L inline 5 turbo found on the road car
  • 3.4 seconds 0-62mph
  • 11.7 seconds 1/4 mile
  • 167 mph top speed
2 Likes

Don't let this car distract you from the fact that Hector is gonna be running 3 Ceeviks with fork engines. On top of that he just came into Harry's and ordered 3 69T turbo's with NAHS's and a Lolkek System Exhaust.

15 Likes

It’s MCM’s 2Sexy! I KNOW that plate!

1 Like

Now we need some reference…
“Hey Turbo Yoda do you think this will fit in my …?” LOLZ