TV & Movie Car Challenge Round 11 (TMCC11): For the Spirited Driver in All of Us [Finished]

are submissions still open or…?

They’ve been closed since September of last year.

TMCC11 Part 4

'88 Sports Sedans Comparo

Silver-York Concorde-Z

@ProfessorP3PP3R

With a stately combination of upright grill, sloping hood, raised tail, body colored trim, and curved surfaces, the Silver York Concode-Z wears one of the company’s first truly graceful modern designs, proudly redefining a venerable name in an ever changing era.

Upgraded for 1988 with a freer flowing intake, the twin-turbocharged 3.8L V8 soldiers on with the ubiquitous throttle body fuel injection, a single overhead valvetrain, and 16 valves, churning out 250 strong horsepower to the front wheels through the group’s only automatic, a smooth, responsive, and sophisticated electronically controlled 4-speed unit.

All of this provides effortless, authoritative thrust in our acceleration tests, achieving an impressive 0-62 mph time of 6.3 seconds. The Silver York never broke a sweat, but we felt that it was held back by a peaky engine, premature redline, and long gearing, often leaving it out of its powerband. No significant power is made before 3400 RPM before the turbochargers provide a very muscular mid-range punch. Top speed is electronically limited to 130 mph.

With the performance suspension, the Concorde-Z proved surprisingly capable when hustled, with low body roll and firm and quick steering. However, we felt that the ride was too crashy, with an overly stiff setup causing the rear wheel to hop around on bumpy roads. Like the MAHG, we sensed a feel of sluggishness in its behavior, typical of front-wheel drive setups. Finally, its handling limits were much lower than its competitors, especially considering its high-performance rubber, but the Concorde-Z gave plenty of warning in advance in the form of mild understeer.

The Concorde-Z, like the rest of the group, features 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, but we were not impressed with their performance. A stopping distance of 119 feet from 62 mph was reasonable, if a bit longer than similar competitors. While there was slight front brake lockup, all stops were straight. However brake fade was among the worst here, with the brakes giving up after a few emergency stops.

Taking cues from its larger siblings, the Concorde-Z’s spacious interior has excellent build quality, but a design that feels slightly conflicted between sportiness and luxury. Both a driver’s airbag and seat belt tensioners are standard. What stands out is the LCD dash that mimics analog gauges and gives out clear readouts of all the critical information in the daylight. On the other hand, the canted dash and center console houses a towering array of buttons that cover all controls, including ones for the stereo and climate control systems. We found the layout somewhat complicated to navigate while driving. The flat seats offer no lateral support, but are quite soft and comfortable, offering power adjustments that will allow most drivers to find a good seating position. Trunk space is plenty, at 17.4 cubic feet.

When I first saw the Concorde-Z, my initial reaction was “This is what a Buick GNX would look like if it were a FWD 4-door sedan”. Turns out I couldn’t have been more accurate (except for the chromed main grille - the real-life car had a black one).

TMCC11 Part 4

Turból Centurion 4.0 ZR Sedan

@donutsnail

Designed specifically as an import fighter, the Turbol Centurion represented a seismic shift in the company’s philosophy in a time of crisis. The new for 1988 4.0 ZR sedan, derived from the legendary 4.0 ZR coupe motorsports homologation special, makes full use of a purposeful and menacing bodystyle that dates back to 1979, and can be now be considered iconic.

Revised in 1985, the all aluminum single overhead cam 24 valve 4.0L V8 is shared with the coupes, and pushes out 248 horsepower to the rear wheels.

With consistent power throughout the rev range, featherweight build, and a progressive clutch, the Centurion effortlessly dispatched the 0-62 mph run in 6.3 seconds, and its passing acceleration was the best of this group. However, we felt that the gear ratios of the somewhat notchy 5 speed manual transmission were too long, hampering both performance and economy.

The Turbol’s flat cornering, uncanny agility, impressive high speed stability, and high cornering limits from its sticky tires encouraged us to drive it at its limits, making it one of the sportiest sedans on the market. Its low weight and communicative steering allow for a nearly telepathic experience with the driver. However, the tradeoff is a very stiff ride, and the lack of compliancy could cause the tires to be skittish on sharp bumps in the road.

The 4-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock were well balanced, providing secure, straight stops from 62 mph in an average of 110 ft, the group’s shortest. A concerning amount of fade after a few panic stops was observed.

A welcoming, cozy interior is a standout feature of the Centurion. Traditional touches abound, including a wood rimmed steering wheel with tilting and telescoping adjustment, ample amounts of tasteful wood grain, and liberal use of plush red leather that provides a splash of excitement in the otherwise solemn atmosphere. Build quality is unrivaled in the segment. Seat belt tensioners are standard, but no airbag is offered. A full set of comprehensible analog gauges are included. Their housing is surrounded by two rows of buttons for various controls. With minimal clutter, we found the center console mounted stereo and climate controls to be reasonably easy to use. Seats are very supportive yet comfortable, and it was easy to find a good position. The rear window shades that help shield the interior from the sun are a unique touch. One notable peculiarity is that the rear windows can only roll down halfway due to the location of the rear brake cooling ducts in the rear doors. Both cabin space and the 8.9 cubic inch of cargo space are the smallest of the group

TMCC11 Part 4

Verdict

So, here we are. 7 expertly engineered solutions for your affordable sports sedan craving.

While it was surely difficult to determine our top pick, we were admittedly enamored with the Hinode Tempest GT. There is rarely a car that can hit the sweet spot of spirited fun, daily usability, and sporting performance, and all at a reasonable price.

Also winning top honors is the MAHG Upsilon 28 Turbo 88. Utilizing modern technology to the best of its advantage, its objective performance is unmatched, backed up by a strong powertrain, comforting ride, and playful attitude.

Finally, rounding out the podium, is the Turbol Centurion 4.0 ZR Sedan. Its V8 power, motorsports heritage, and spirited handling are an irresistible combination. Already a world-class sports sedan on the road and track, the addition of the ZR package elevates its fight to the world’s best.

Most people believe that you have to shell out obnoxious amounts of money to get performance, comfort, and practicality. But as history has shown us, from muscle cars to hot hatches, the democratization of high performance has consistently proven that instinct wrong. While BMW may have pushed the sports sedan to a new level of performance, it will be these 7 sports sedans that will push their segment to a new level of popularity.

Finalist grades
  1. @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
  2. @S31
  3. @donutsnail
  4. @Tzuyu_main
  5. @mart1n2005
  6. @vero94773
  7. @ProfessorP3PP3R
Spreadsheet

TMCC11 troll - Google Sheets

7 Likes

Congratulations to @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T and kudos for not giving up on finishing this challenge, I understand if it can have been a bit of struggle with it. Still, if I am allowed to have my opinion, I hope for a somewhat shorter time to finish TMCC12. :wink:

Also, when looking at the spreadsheet I understand how much better I am at designing and engineering cars now compared to a year ago… :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you @66mazda for hosting this round and I will be taking up the opportunity to host TMCC12. The new round should be up a few days after CSR142 begins so as to avoid any possible overlaps with the theme.

11 Likes

TMCC12 is out!

2 Likes

TMCC11 Part E1

Some weird hotlaps

Courtesy of @alen.alic1983

Right when I was in the middle of the heat of writing this round, alen graciously offered to do some Beam ng hotlaps around the Automation Test Track. Ultimately, 6 cars were reviewed that way. As this was made right before a major Beam.ng physics update, results may be slightly inaccurate compared to the current version. Regardless, here are the cars and their reviews!

LCE LE5 V8 S

@abg7

“So this was an exciting experience…in a negative way. Beyond the baritone of a V8 engine, there really isn’t much to like here. The straight line performance is solid, but the first gear is a bit long. There is no weight in the back so I had to wrestle the car to stay on course through even the mild corners. There is no ABS and the brakes are not front-biased enough to offer a decent trail-braking effect. Instead, if you try to trail-brake you will spin out even at moderate to low speeds. I had to feather the pedal earlier than usual just to get the car ready for a corner. Once the rear steps out, not many actions can put it back in line. This was a land-barge on steroids experience. Driving the thing is like dancing with the Grimm Reaper after he found out that you were messing around with his sister…”

Ginan Eucla E25

@AMuteCrypt

“Now here is a car that promises nothing based on it’s looks, but delivers a memorable experience. I have to say that a straight-six turbo-muted sound is very appropriate to this cars character. It is one of those solid feeling vehicles that trusts you and follows every input with confidence. However, I can not call this a sport sedan, even though it is not lacking in power. No, this is more of an autobahn bomber, eating up miles without much sweat and worry. However, when you do want to feel excitement, all you need to do is mash the throttle pedal when coming out of a corner. The turbo kicks in and gives out the most satisfying and delightfully controllable power slide. After a few corners of adjusting to the turbo kick, this action becomes a part of your primal instinct. This car rarely leaves you feeling unsafe even when driven on limit.
However, there are three issues that need to be resolved to make this an elite experience…
First gear is way too long, and it really does a number in combination with the turbo lag. Spacing should be increased slightly to get a more intuitive and satisfying feel while progressing down the track. This brings me to the second issue - turbo lag. While it is satisfying when expected, it could cause a shock to the uninitiated. Making it more mid-range friendly would be just what the doctor ordered. Third issue is one that could end up being quite expensive in the long run. The car tends to bottom out at even the slightest hint of uneven pavement when pushed hard.
All in all, a car with a solid feel of an ultimate high speed cruiser and a surprisingly positive experience.”

Munot Helvetia 540S

@Quneitra

“This car is a case of playful drive train meeting safety-first suspension setup. This has an identity crisis and it is hard to dial into it. There is sufficient power to push this thing down the track but, off-throttle it simply wants to under-steer into eternity, while mid corner, when you give it the beans, it simply hunts down a perfect line to guide you through the corner. I found myself pulling on the handbrake too often to give the chassis some rhythm before treating it to some AWD finesse. First gear might be a little short, but shifting through other gears feels positive and progressive. I just wish the back was drunk enough to join the party on it’s own.”

AAI Dragoon

@SuperLemonade

“Another car with split personality shows up to play. The color draws you in, the turbo sound promises rush-filled experience, shifting through gears is satisfying and…then we come to suspension and drive train. This time, the suspension is just loose and playful enough to feel premium and fun but, as soon as you give this AWD the beans, it understeers like crazy. This was almost a perfect recipe. The car can be trail-braked and set into a corner without issues while maintaining a controllable feel at the wheel, but on tight turns, as soon as you want to blast out in a turbo-boost glory, it simply wants to go straight. I wonder how different it would be with a rear-biased AWD setup. Also, I did notice bottoming-out again on certain segments of the track.”

Raider RS

@nialloftara

“After walking away from this vehicle, I realized there was nothing memorable about it. First of all it is a FWD V6 with a lack of poke. The power just isn’t in the same league as many other cars. This isn’t aided at all by the long gearing this car has. But can it redeem itself through driving dynamics? I’m afraid not… It shows understeer off power and slight understeer on power in tight corners while losing any steering feel on full-throttle. Worst of all is the brake situation as they are not well balanced for this cars weight distribution. They are overly rear-biased. The positive is that they are able to stop the car, but dynamically this car is a bit of a catastrophe. I would consider this as a Camry competitor at best. It is a shame though, as this formula can probably be corrected with relatively simple changes.”

MAHG Upsilon 25 Turbo '88

@S31

“Oh no, another FWD wanna-be performance sedan. Really? And those looks… Well, that was me walking towards the Mahg, but after getting out of it…oh Mah Gawd…
How did they do it? Ho did they manage to blow my mind in such manner? This car gave me a buzz the size of a mountain! It was fun, fast, brutal, and so alive! This car is a proof that you can do FWD performance the right way. The gearbox is perfect, engine strong and well boosted, grip on and off throttle just phenomenal. Listen, it is not a perfect car… It is set up to carve the road, so straight line steering feel is a bit twitchy. The engine does not sound inspiring and there is torque-steer when you mash the throttle mid-corner. The car sometimes bottoms out and rides very stiff over high-speed bumps. But even with those drawbacks, this baby has found a special place in my heart as a car enthusiast. Well done! Viva la difference!”

Enjoy!

5 Likes