TMCC12: Macho Drama

Previous round: TV & Movie Car Challenge Round 11 (TMCC11): For the Spirited Driver in All of Us [Finished]

Premise: TV and Movie Car Challenge

TMCC12: Macho Drama

Tokyo, 1982.

Full Briefing

abunai keisatsu part 2

Abunai Keisatsu (危ない警察) is a Japanese television crime drama series that first aired in 1979. It tells the story of detective Sayama Date (狭山 伊達) of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department and his subordinates, and their superior Tanimura Junji (谷村 順次) as they fight against Tokyo’s underworld.

The series makes heavy use of over-the-top explosion scenes and car chases/stunts, gaining reputation as a macho drama. In the first part of the series (1979-1982), Sayama drives a 1967 Westpoolchestershireshire Shaguar 2000GT Convertible. The production team wanted to keep using the car for Part II. However while filming the first episode, the Shaguar flipped over, totalling the car and injuring the actor. While Sayama was recovering, the production team decided that they needed a new and different car with an actual hard roof for the main protagonist.

The team was divided on what the new car should be. While they agreed that the car should be a sports coupe, some in the production team wanted a domestic car while others wanted a foreign car like the Shaguar they once had. With that in mind, the team began to scour the classifieds and dealers for the series’ next hero car.

In short, make a sports coupe that’s fit for the protagonist of a bombastic and explosive crime drama.

Rules:

Trim

• Model year ≤1982
  • Trim year 1982
  • $28,000 soft limit, $32,000 hard limit
  • Max trim ET: 110
  • Max. wheelbase: 2.8m
  • No semi slicks
  • Must have at least 4 seats (2+2 acceptable)
  • Must be a 2-door coupe/sedan or a 3-door liftback
  • Must have fender/wing mirrors if the car is Japanese
What?

Up until March 1983, the Japanese government did not allow domestically-made cars to be registered without fender mirrors. As such, all Japanese cars submitted this round must have fender/wing-mounted (not door) mirrors or they will be binned.

Imported cars have been exempted from this rule since 1977 and so non-Japanese submissions are allowed to have door mirrors.

Engine

• Family year ≤1982
  • Variant year 1982
  • Max engine ET: 140
  • Maximum loudness: 40
  • At least one muffler required
  • Catalytic converter required
  • Unleaded fuel only
  • 95 RON/90 AKI maximum. You can use lower grade fuel but it offers no competitive benefits.
  • No V16s

Naming Convention

• Model/engine family name: TMCC12-(your forum username)
  • Trim name: name of your car
  • Variant name: name of your engine

Priorities
:star::star::star:

• Styling. Style is among the top priorities for the production team. The protagonists are supposed to drive something cool, and the car must look gracious in the series’ many chase scenes. The car must also be a star in of itself, a vehicle to be fondly remembered by the viewers.
  • Sportiness and drivability. The car will partake in chase sequences and stunts (the less dangerous ones at least). As such, the car should be fast while being tame enough for the actors and stunt drivers.
  • Reliability. The production team obviously doesn’t want the car to break when they need it the most.

:star::star:

• Fuel economy. While it is the star car, the production team won’t use the car extensively in every episode. That being said, they wouldn’t want a car that’s overly thirsty.
  • Comfort. While comfort isn’t important for the production team, cars in this segment and at this price point should be decently comfortable.

:star:

• Service costs. The studio can cover anything as long as it’s not too expensive.
  • Safety. The production team won’t crash or blow up the car but please don’t send them a deathtrap.
  • Taxation. Again, the studio can cover anything as long as it’s not too expensive. However, they will certainly appreciate a car that does not punch a hole in their coffers at the end of each year.
Japanese Tax Brackets

Notes

• An interior is not mandatory, but a good interior will give your entry a scoring boost. LHD interiors are okay for non-Japanese cars.
  • CSR realism is expected. If anything is too min-maxxed or out of the scope, it will be binned.
  • Value is important. If a $20,000 car can do the same job as a $30,000 car, the production team will obviously go for the cheaper car. Also, if the price exceeds $28,000 then the car better be worth the extra expense.
  • If the 4.2 update drops during this round, I will remain on stable until the round ends.
  • I understand that there is a lack of good wing mirrors in the game and on the workshop. To remedy this, you can take an existing mirror and paint the stalk invisible. Then, move the mirror and place a stalk (usually a 3d fixture cone for me) connecting the body and the mirror.

HiResPhoto882_LI

And there you have it, a wing mirror that isn’t bad. If there is an existing wing mirror fixture that looks good then by all means save your time and use that instead.

Inspirations

Domestic

Imports

Some Japanese crime drama music to get you in the mood

Submissions

• Submissions will open on Saturday, October 16th at 12.00 WIB (UTC+7). The rules will be open to deliberation and subject to change until then.

• Submissions will close on Monday, November 1st at 00.00 UTC.

• Countdown timer

Good luck, have fun, and may the best car win.

12 Likes

Anyone who wishes to send in an entry should just type in those words above to accompany an eligible .car file and they’re good to go, right?

This is justified considering that Japan is one of the few RHD markets (alongside Britain) to allow registration of LHD cars.

Anyone who wishes to send in an entry should just type in those words above to accompany an eligible .car file and they’re good to go, right?

Yes

This is justified considering that Japan is one of the few RHD markets (alongside Britain) to allow registration of LHD cars.

Yes. If anything, LHD cars and door mirrors would be considered “cooler” to most people since it indicates that the car is foreign, hence why Japanese cars ditched the fender mirror very soon after the Japanese government allowed cars to have door mirrors.

5 Likes

Awesome, I have just the concept for this! Time to put Ai o Torimodose and those crime drama songs on repeat.

2 Likes

Does the catalytic converter have to be a three-way unit?

The C4 Corvette listed as inspiration is a two-seater, but the rules require a four-seater - and indeed the C4-esque body available from 1979 onwards only has room for one row of seats, so for the purposes of this challenge, it cannot actually be used.

With that in mind, would you mind if you opened up this challenge to two-seater builds? I think they would add some variety to the entry list if they were allowed.

No, but I don’t see why you would want to use anything other than a three-way unit.

That is a good suggestion. However, I listed the Corvette mainly as styling inspiration. I believe that the producers of a crime drama would also want their star cars to be somewhat practical (for dialogue scenes with more than 2 people, for whatever role in the story the car would play, or to fit hydraulics for gullwing doors like the Super Z in Seibu Keisatsu), and so they would opt for a 2+2 sports coupe instead of a 2-seater. Thus, this round will only be open to cars with 4 or more seats.

3 Likes

After reading through the heated discussion in CSR142, I have decided to remove the submission code requirement seeing that it is pretty much redundant. That being said, please read the rules carefully when you make your car and check again it before you submit your entry to me to avoid any rule breaks and the inevitable instabin. Thank you for your understanding.

15 Likes

Rule Changes

The changes are as follows:

• Maximum wheelbase is now 2.8 metres (standard rounding rules apply).
  • Engine displacement tax is now listed as a 1-star priority. While tax will not be the most important aspect of the car, the studio would pick the car with lower taxes over a similar-performing car with higher taxes.
  • Submissions will open on Saturday, 16th October at 12.00 WIB (UTC+7).

Thank you for understanding. Good luck and have fun!

Some more crime drama jazz for the soul
8 Likes

Last-minute Rule Changes

• The minimum wheelbase requirement has been removed to allow for more RR entries.

• Three more cars added as inspiration (the Mazda Cosmo, Alpine A310, and Porsche 911).

• The importance of styling is emphasized further for this challenge. Remember that you’re making a car for the star of a popular crime drama, and that the car should be a star in of itself.

That will be all. Thank you for you understanding.

6 Likes

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

Submissions are open from now until the 31st of October at 23.59 UTC. Please read the rules and check your car thoroughly before submitting and also before I regret ditching the submission code that many of you seem to appreciate me ditching instead of the challenge itself. Good luck and have fun.

Countdown timer

2 Likes

Basilio Tasmania GT6

Si.

14 Likes

1982 HAKARU PRESAGE 3.0 GT 3000
22 Likes

1982 Pfeil Vogtland Typ B

hahaha german brand goes bankcrupt

11 Likes

1982 F&S Rattler Sport MKIII

5 Likes

8 Likes

The dawn of a new era in performance; the 1982 Ibis Kestrel 6S (Shown here with the Handling Group package).

5 Likes

Zephorus TRZ

No I didn’t steal the interior glowy things not at all

More Images

14 Likes

MAHG Tsi Rapide

5 Likes

Cabrera Rabion 260

15 Likes

1982 Wells Raven GT

4 Likes