24h - La Marche 1960 [Results]

Turból SP60

Details

Racing in Europe has been important to Turból since the brand’s inception. Howerver, the late 1950s were provided many hurdles to the brand’s ability to do so. In 1957, an AMA agreement against factory-supported racing went into effect. Turból would cease operation of their official racing team, utilizing their continental Europe HQ in Bremen, West Germany as a clandestine base of operations for “privateers” to prepare and race Turból products. Then in 1958, the World Sportscar Championship set a displacement limit of 3000cc on all sports prototypes. Unfortunately, Turból did not have a suitable 3 liter engine for motorsports; the Stellar inline 6 engine was pressed into service, but the long-stroke design was ultimately lacking in performance. Without the means to create a more suitable engine quickly, Turból would go into a partnership with SAV Engineering Ltd, a small British engineering firm, for access to their 2496cc Formula 1 V8 engine. A high revving, quad-cam, 32 valve unit, Turból would reproduce the design with all-iron construction to improve reliability for endurance racing, where it produced a stout 265 horsepower. While privateers running Turból sports prototypes generally ran under European racing colors, in 1960 Turból began more blatantly skirting the AMA agreement, running once again with a white and blue livery, and debuting the first brand-new body since the 1956 season; a futuristic fiberglass design that was also shown as a concept car back in the home market.

16 Likes

The 1960 Moretelli RP60.II/LM

Gallery

Statistics

Engine : 2996cc Inline 6 DOHC 2V
Power : 230 hp @ 6200RPM / 267 Nm @ 6000 RPM
Drivetrain : 4-Speed Manual Gearbox with Solid rear axle
Weight : 931 kg ( 60% / 40% )
Body : Steel Spaceframe w/ Aluminium Panels

Extra : Moretelli has always strived for the perfect look, so they wanted 4 exhaust tips in this case, but with and inline 6, they then decided to take Cylinder 1,3,5 and make them exit on the left side of the car and Cylinder 2,4,6 to the other side, splitting them again to get that beautiful look they wanted.

Short Intro

Moretelli has long been wanting to go racing since their establishment in 1949.

They have seen how brutal the La Marche race can be, and if they’d enter, show how well built and quick their cars are.

So when 1959 came around they started to develop a an entrant for the following year’s event based on their RP60 sportscar.

And boy was it something to behold.

22 Likes

1960 HR Grouse V8

Gallery

Details

Insert them here later

26 Likes

DEADLINE HAS PASSED

Thank you all for your entries! I have received plenty and am very happy with the resonance!

Next steps:

Concourse d’Élégance

• I will prepare the voting with photographs of the cars and send out links for the vote in private messages to all participants by tomorrow, 8 a.m. CEST. You will then have one week to vote!
  • To avoid a potential bias, every participant should be presented with the cars in a random order. At least I try to set it up like this. I will also not put car names / player names next to the car - you don’t need them to judge aesthetics.
  • Feel free to rate your own car at 10 points. If everybody does it, nobody has a benefit. You just hurt yourself if you don’t. This is also an incentive to actually complete the voting :slight_smile:
  • Please vote reasonably. I will investigate outliers and if I see an obvious pattern, a case of random numbers, or somebody trying to hurt an obviously good entry, I might consider a disqualification. Be fair!

This should give me enough time to work on scrutineering and preparing the results. After the beauty vote is done, I will present them in a video.
After that, I will work in the scores of the vote and prepare the final results video!

24 Likes

This challenge is certainly contender for most submissions in a single day for sure

1 Like

The 1960 JHM 153GT

After many years making kitcars and one-off specials for the small Australian market, JHM has taken the leap to produce their first production vehicle. Continuing the tradition of using locally manufactured components, we have teamed up with Holden to help produce the engine at the heart of the 153GT.

While based on the venerable Holden 2.3L inline 6, this is no humble family sedan. Our skilled engineers have worked tirelesly increasing capacity to 2.5L(153ci), fitting an all new OHC head and much more transforming it into a true sportscar engine.

Pair this with a small, lightweight, aerodynamic body and an overall focus on reliability, we hope to make the long voyage over to La Marche a successful one.

Summary
2500cc Grand Tourer
2.5L SOHC Inline 6
181 hp @ 7200 RPM
785 kg
270 km/h top speed

This is pretty much the first ever car I have made in Automation so please go easy on me. Picked the game up about a week ago after seeing this challenge. This was as much an engineering exercise to produce a good car as it was a learning experience in the game. Had much trouble with fixtures and getting the styling to look passable, also unfortunately ran out of time before being able to do an interior but overall fairly happy with how it turned out. Looking forward to see how everyone does and to the next challenge.

10 Likes

KBF Vortex: A Local Hero?

La Marche is upon us, and in the vast field of contenders we find the KBF Vortex. With a rear mounted 3 litre engine, independent suspension, and a glass fibre shell, KBF has taken aim for the S3.0 class. The lead designer seems cautiously optimistic with their first purpose built sports car, but overall the spirits are high.

"I believe we've managed to create a good package, but you have to keep in mind that the competition at La March is fierce. We expect to learn a lot from this competition."

In conjunction with La Marche, the Vortex will make an appearance at the Concourse d'Elegance. We are eagerly waiting to see what this locally designed sports car is capable of, and we hope to see more sports cars from KBF in the future!

Photos

Car specification

Water-cooled 2999 cc 60° V6 with 24 valves producing 317 hp @ 8500 RPM
5 speed transmission geared for 350 km/h
Independent suspension front & rear
Glass fibre shell, steel chassis (total weight approx. 677 kg)

8 Likes

From Portugal, To Le Mans
:portugal:

Lisbon, Portugal :portugal: - 1960

This 360HP V8 powered 2-door sedan will win Le Mans

6 Likes

Ops i forgot to consider time zones, sorry, good contest to all of you

1 Like

The 1960 NKR- 308 (The Litte Tulip)
With a top speed of over 200Mph
Top of the line aerodynamics and a set of sticky rubber tyres
Going for victory with a 3 litre v8 stomping out a little over 300hp it’s got the kick to knock out your fillings.

• Sleek
  • Fast
  • Stable at 300km/h

• Neck breaking speeds
  • Neck breaking looks
  • Neck breaking acceleration

We tested 13 different versions
To make sure we got The Best.

(I didn’t get time to make this yesterday but did send in the file idk if that’s an issue or if these were just for fun :slight_smile: )
Good Luck Racing!

8 Likes

BMMA GOLDFISH SPECIAL

What is hidden under the rear bonnet of this 603 kilograms is the real technological marvel and focus of this project.

A 999cm³ full alluminium 4 cilinder engine with 16 valves and double over head cam (bialbero). This engine has the specified goal to extract all the possible power from the least amount of fuel. It can produce 75 horsepower with the incredible maximum efficiency of 31.1%

Paired with the highly aerodynamic body, tested in a hydrodynamic institute in Trieste, and the ultra thin tyres for lower drag, it can reach the top speed of 205km/h

The goal of the Blue Marlin Motori Auto is trying to get the Index of Thermal Efficiency. Certanly not the Concourse d’Elegance.

Good luck to everyone.

7 Likes

Do you have this up on the repository by chance? it looks great!

Oh woops, missed that deadline… I had converted the wrong way :sweat_smile: Looking forward to seeing the cars that come out in the challenge!

Very impressive, congrats. Does it have a Good reability?

Following the 1955 and 1958 refinery fires and consequent fuel shortages in Dalluha, the noises made about improving DCMW’s fleetwide fuel economy got loud enough that something was done. The 2nd-generation Sharriallat, already slated to be sleeker, smaller, and sportier than the first generation, was prototyped in several size classes. The 2.4m prototype, while it was turned down for a Sharriallat successor, was found to have excellent handling while still able to fit DCMW’s largest straight-six. Debate ensued about whether to put it into production as a new model, the Raqqada, or leave DCMW’s products exclusively large and comfort-oriented. Chaotic board meetings on the question were finally calmed by a collective wager: the model’s production would depend on its success at the 1960 La Marche race. With tests of the 467hp Raqqada coming in at well under 4:00, with over 330kph on the Mulsanne straight, such hopes were not unfounded. So the prototype was dressed up in Dalluhan national livery, and sent over following some delays with customs and shipping agents…

1960 DCMW Raqqada LMP 5.0

The only view most will get of the Raqqada for any length of time; best get used to it.

12 Likes
1960 Torshalla Griffin II LM