Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

Next results are in. First event in 1977 was the half mile drag-race. As to be expected, the rear- and mid-engine cars had quite an advantage here, with @nialloftara, @Xoury and @laffinghyena doing the best half-mile times seen in the ABL so far. Fastest front-engined car is the FSR Futura in 4th place, more than a second behind the top 3.

7 Likes

I didn’t think you stole anything, I just thought it was weird that it had the same name

Yeah, could be worse with my short track killer.

Hockenheim.

5 Likes

And the Story continues :slight_smile: yeah i think I’am not gonna make it in the top3 . No penalty :grin:

2 Likes

Aaaaand the last event, Silverstone. The usual suspects in 1st and 2nd and this time, the FSR car in 3rd. @Newtonmeter made 4th.

1977 results are @Xoury in 1st with a score of 44 (one point off the maximum!), @nialloftara one point behind with 43, and a tie between @laffinghyena and me, @FrankNSTein, with 37 points.

Added up with 1976, we get @Xoury in first, @nialloftara, even without aero, in 2nd, and @laffinghyena in 3rd. Those three will have to deal with the winner’s penalty in the next season :imp:

4th place is again me, @FrankNSTein, 5th and 6th are the penalized cars with only 340hp, @Newtonmeter and @AirJordan, @gridghost got 7th with their 2.8L turbo Aurora, @MarcoAlla who only really excelled at Spa, is 8th.

@HighOctaneLove finished 9th with what looks like only a lightly tuned street car, @JohnWaldock with the pickup in 10th and @Crossworks and @Fayeding_Spray took places 11 and 12.

7 Likes

nothing if not consistent

1 Like

Just leaving a thought for the next rounds rules: everyone gets a choice between two base engines that you must tune and build a car around. Engine 1 is a turbo I4 while engine 2 is a naturally aspirated pushrod V8. Specifics will be worked out soon, but what do you think of the premise?

You will hate me on that one but how many hours do you plan to spend on balancing performacne of this two?
Anyway, I do think single body or engine challenge could also be fun someday.
Oh and another thing about penalties:
How about previous top 3 still get penalty, but only 50%? So we have 3 cars with full penalty, 3 cars (that proved to be fast before) with some penalty and others trying to finnaly win it.

2 Likes

I see the point, and I know this will take extensive balancing, but that’s why we’re 3 people running this challenge :wink:

I already have two prototype engines tuned for maximum useable power I could achieve, tested in multiple cars on multiple tracks and I have a rough idea of how the displacements should go. Before we start the next round I’ll have Ram and/or Nomade look over them if they can find any more performance.

(Of course there’s still a chance one of them ends up being faster. 10 to 15 participants certainly can find more tweaks than the 3 of us do.)

About the penalty thing, that’s actually a good idea to have two tiers of penaltys. I’ll put that up on our internal discussion.

2 Likes

glad i didn’t join and saved face :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

but really though. i couldn’t make anything remotely competitive this round. so i didn’t felt like joining

I just havnt had the time… but will be abit more involved next rnd

Again close @AirJordan . I think this time the penalty did not allowed a much better position. Without the minimum weight there would habe been a lever to pull on. But it was fun and this time penalty free (damn maybe a 50% penalty :-p )

2 Likes

Low midpack as usual… got to up my game :wink:

Gratz to @Xoury for the win (well deserved) and thnx again to @FrankNSTein, @Nomade0013 and @ramthecowy for hosting this great challenge

4 Likes

Are there any Informations about the next round?

Just finalizing the tracks. The choice for the sixth track lies with you people now! You get to choose between:

• Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
  • Spa
  • Daytona International Speedway (Oval)

0 voters

4 Likes

And do we have to choose between two base engines this year?

That is correct. More to come pretty soon.

1 Like

Welcome back to the ABL, it’s time to meet a whole, fascinating and fresh new round 5, it’s:
#1978/1979!

##Rules

• Maximum tyre width 245 mm
  • Any undertrays allowed with a maximum of one wing and one lip
  • Maximum cost is $17000 at 0% markup
  • Minimum weight 950kg/1984lbs
  • Regular fuel (91 RON/87 AKI)
  • Advanced safety required

##Banned stuff

• Negative quality sliders
  • LMP and other endurance style bodies
  • Any other engines that are not one of the two base engines supplied
    ##Engines
  • A variant of one of the two given engines is to be used. You have been given the block dimensions and head specifications, now you must create your own engine family of the same spec and tune them.
  • You may not install turbos on the V8
  • You must install a turbo on the I4
  • Minimum 25 reliability
  • At least one baffled muffler
    Here are your base engines.
    ###The Turbo I4

###The pushrod V8

##Winners punishment
@Xoury, @nialloftara and @laffinghyena, your minimum weight is 15% higher - that means 1092kg/2407lbs (rounded down from 1092.5kg) minimum weight for you guys.

We listened to you @airjordan so now past winners @Newtonmeter, @airjordan, @koolkei and @franknstein, you guys also have an 8% increase in minimum weight. Your cars need to be 1026kg/2262lbs (rounded up from 2261.9lbs) or more. :smiling_imp:

##Don’t forget to read the OP for the constant rules!
(eg minimum cooling required, headlights+taillights+handles required, etc)

##Tracks

##Deadline
You have until March 31st, 23:59 CET to send in your creations.

Send in your cars to @frankNStein. As you already know, cars should be named like this:

> Model: ABL78/79 - Username > Trim : Brand (optional) - Model - Trim (optional) > Family: ABL78/79 - Username > Trim: Engine Name - Trim (optional)

We reserve one day to discuss and finalize the rule set and penalties. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. As always, feedback on the ruleset, the presentation, the layout, anything is welcome.
Have fun, and wish you all the best of luck! :grin:

7 Likes