Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

I forgot the old BRC rules for a moment there, I’d have thought that a mid-engine supercar would have a lot more power than my entrant but perhaps not!

I’am really curios what will happen at the races.
Does one engine concept will kill all other?
Who will have the most kw/hp
Are the MR-Supercar bodies alot faster than the usual one`s?

Honestly I doubt the MR supercars will even be competitive at least for this round, I wasn’t able to make full use of quality sliders.

I know I have several things to addres following my rant about current rules but lets leave it for next time…

I’m not sure I agree with sharing top cars. That’s just bringing everything on a platter, no effort spend on learning and getting better. As I said in HLC, I’m all up for hepling people getting better with their ideas and designs, but giving them top cars just seems too easy. I don’t like it.

I believe MR bodies will be far superior over FR. Furthermore, I bet on pantera body to be the best choice. I didn’t use one because there was only time for single build and I wanted to experiment but still I believe it’s the one, followed by that lovely prototype.

i’m not so sure about the pantera body. it’s good, but quite weighty.

I think i tested a lot body`s but my usual FR car were as fast as the Mr´s but i think i suck at setting up the mr cars :-).

We’re two, the car I showed here was the fastest I could do. I suck at suspension setup, so my MR cars are only good for drag.

Well that’s the main thing I feel all our MR cars will be at least in this year, FRs(especially if its actually front middle engine) will most likely have closer to even weight distribution so with even tyre widths that should make them better in the corners, but the front brakes may struggle and they will struggle to put down power, the MR cars will be better in acceleration and maybe braking, but they will have more uneven weight distribution.

From what I’ve found, the main limitation on many cars is being able to transfer power to the road because the tires in the 70’s are very limited. With this in mind it really helps to have the weight distributed over the driven axle, thus the distribution of an MR allows me to get MUCH quicker acceleration that any FR set-up can.

To put it into perspective, the best FR car I could manage is roughly 2 seconds per lap slower around every track I tested at than the MR car I will be submitting.

Did a test yesterday with the pantera body, and the smallish hatchback thingie, and got (for me) surprising results… while the MR had almost no wheelspin, a rather powerful engine and pretty good tuning, the HBT won on pure power to weight ratio, despite having 50% wheelspin… which seems counterintuitive.

I’m still keeping the MR, tho… it looks nicer :smiley:

we’re definitely looking into restricting race-bred bodies :slight_smile:

Interesting, the pantera is heavy though! The (looks like soon-to-be-banned) racer style body is definitely lighter, so I have no problems with my power-to-weight ratio! Also my lovely V12s won’t fit in a hatchback for me to test out the same thing!

1 Like

The next round of entries scrutinizing will be after the deadline. Sorry but I won’t have the time to check it before. Anyway if there’s anything wrong with your entry you will still be granted the right to revise it in 24h.

1 Like

I am in :smile:

You have 1 day and 12 hours and ten minutes to send in your cars! :smile:

Isn’t it 1 day and 12 hours? You’ve stated 4th december 23:59, we have 3rd 12:11 right now :smiley:

(I’ll only find time tomorrow so a deadline today would be bad :smiley: )

2 Likes

oops I derp’d, corrected that :yum:

I know I’m late to the game here, but, a couple of thoughts.

1. If these are “road legal” cars, then exhaust mufflers should be required.

2. Although unleaded fuel was available in 1970, it was not used much. It was still new in the late 60s, so only a few were actually making engines to run on it. Running engines of the day on unleaded required head/valve modifications (and still does for those older engines) to reduce damages in the valvetrain and combustion chambers.

3. Additionally, no catalytic converters are available for use with this fuel so the purpose of unleaded fuel is simply to reduce available octane. (must be a European thing)

OK, enough of the bitching…

Here is my entry. I don’t want critique on my car. I know it’s weaknesses.

4 Likes

AJR Racing Technologies presents their entry into the ABL: The Angstrom RRR; a triumph in British race engineering.

Pictured here in AJR’s legendary race colours, the car is more than capable of lapping the Nurburgring in under 10 minutes and boasts an engine power described by one test driver as “certainly enough to get the blood pumping”. Combined with the best in boat building high-tech composite body materials, the Angstrom is a force to be reckoned with.

5 Likes

Sadly, it does not seem as if I can enter this inaugural round of the ABL, due to work overload. But I hope that I will be able to participate in the second round :slight_smile:

3 Likes