Automation Super Go Karts [Final Results]

Here is my car.

Hopefully you dont have the same bug with the air water cooler for the supercharger that I had.

Its alright.

That 1,000 HP I4 engine is amazing!
Tsukasa - GenJeFT-Gocart989.zip (93.1 KB)

Which bug is that? And yeah, that little 2.6 is MEAN!

It kept loading a Huge water/air cooler when it should have only had a large water/air cooler for the turbo. So it kept loading as a tad overweight.

Nope, it would load the large for me :slight_smile:

Here are the stats of my reference car, the AMW Hydra:

Rapier Stats. 4 speeds and pushrods, cause why not.

I’ve been outclassed by pushrods. How do you even manage that? :laughing:

No replacement for displacement :wink:

That’s a massive V8 in there, Niall!

As for the V8 in the Rocket, it’s a 1.9 liter flatplane V8. I’ve built several cars this size with little 1.9 liter V8’s. It’s fun seeing how much turbo you can stick in such a small space.

And yeah, no true replacement for displacement. Can’t get the smooth torque curve of a high displacement V8 from a tiny turbo V8.

Here’s the results of the 2nd track, the Airfield.

Many people consider this a proper and meaningful track for comparing cars. And so far it looks like Niall is running away with it, but there’s 3 more tracks in this competition so almost anything can still happen :wink:

Well that isnt too bad :smiley: My little box of a body can keep up…just. Makes me feel good that I am less than a second back, that must have been a VERY frantic finish! Maybe I should have made my car longer to cross the line first :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see the Rocket is going for consistency. Really surprising to see my car in the upper half of the rankings list, had expected I’d be fighting to stay out of last place. My guess for what’s keeping it back is the 30 tons of turbo lag, followed by brutal acceleration, followed by the need to shift.

I’m thinking we’re likely to run into a whole lot of interesting in the next few tracks. Also glad to see that while the benchmark car is doing exceptionally well, it has competition.

.06 oh yes, nose to nose at the line, tires screeching, engines screaming to redlines, what a day, what a lovely day!

What is going to hold both of us back Madrias is the complete lack of aerodynamics for our little boxes, once the big boys can get their speed up we can only hope to catch them in the corners.

I REALLY like though how close the top half is to each other, even the lower half of the pack is not that far behind.

So we got:
Nialloftara---------15—30—?
Strop---------------12—24—?
Conan--------------10–19—?
BlastersPewPew—9---19—?
Madrias------------8—16—?
GenJeFT----------7—14—?
Kampfzerstorer–6—12—?
Doctornarfy------5—10—?
RoyalStig---------4----8—?
Urbanliner--------3----6—?
earincon198------2----4—?
Klinardo-----------1—2---?

Arrrgh so close xD Maybe I should have backed off on the turbo some more, but no, too late to regret, and some point and squirt tracks coming up!!

Mine doesn’t corner all that well and is mostly making up for the lack of cornering performance with brain-scrambling acceleration once the turbos spool up. That, and the crap-ton of downforce gluing it to the track. Straight line speed’s likely a little lacking in mine as well. Still, maybe it’ll surprise me.

Well, mine’s consistent, at least. I went for a 8.1L V6 (because there’s no replacement for displacement :smiley: ), 4WD and much, much downforce (because why don’t you want a bigger wing on the front than the back?) My driveability is very good but the 0-60 in 4.1 secs leaves A LOT to be desired, but after sixty, it’s fairly rapid.

Very interesting to see/read the differences in philosophy when it comes to engine building. I went for a 3.6L twin-turbo V8 with lots of boost and a wide powerband at the top-range. Yes, there’s a lot of turbo lag, but once you’ve overcome it in first gear, you’ll be going full pull ahead and you’ll get like 90%+ of the max. power after every upshift. So the straight-line performance of this thing is not to be underestimated!

I went with an I4 in my entry because the little offroader has such a TINY engine bay that anything with more than 4 cylinders would be weaker due to the fact the 4cyl can sport a MASSIVE turbo for its size in the engine bay, the V8s are handicapped by the extra width of those two turbos. I do get the same problem as you TheTom, no power at all until the turbo manages to provide some boost and THEN it goes. That is also why I have an 8 speed transmission, trying to keep every gear at peak power.

Dear Lord I’m terrible at suspension tuning… I can’t make these things go around a track to save my life. I’m way off the pace here. I just don’t understand how to tune for speed on the tracks. I play with the suspension and adjust for sportiness and drivability, but then I always seem to get annihilated on a race course. I’m new to the car building part of the game, but I thought I did better than that.

I also made the mistake of going for low weight and less HP. My car weighs a measly 715 KG because my engine is so small that it only makes 715 HP. I may have to go back and look at what I did in that regard, but being short about 300-400 HP certainly isn’t helping.

If any of you folks care to take a look and tell me why I’m failing at this, I’d really appreciate it.
- Boss-Kart.zip (116 KB)