CSR146 - Real Shopping Round

2008 Lance 2
classic race-proven technology, at economy costs!
with exciting handling thanks to its rear engine layout and impressive fuel economy, it can be yours today for 24300$

4 Likes

Carino Velocista S

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

For people in the know, yes, this is the second generation to my CSR143 car.

14 Likes

These are insane specs. After the comp can I have the .car file to enter in my stat tracker? The power and mpg you got here is amazing. Well done and it’s a looker too.

3 Likes

Renwoo Merci - No Merci

CSR Speedruns lets go

100hp of quickish weird french not-so-eco box

9 Likes

That might explain why it’s closer to the budget cap than I expected - but it could make it past the first cuts if the rest of the car is good enough to compensate.

I also made a lesser trim of my entry, with a smaller engine in a more basic spec, but chose not to submit that one after realizing that it was basically all head, no heart compared to the trim I sent in.

1 Like

2008 MD GT2 132s
Fast, fun and efficient.

With 132 horsepower, the brand-new GT2 132s is the best supermini hot hatch you can get today, for less than 22 grand.

Gallery

9 Likes
REAL AD COMING SOON

2008 Wichsen Luna Sport

9 Likes

Challenge is now closed for entries. I’ll see if I can get round to do anything now xx

1 Like

I couldve swore the brief said the car could look sporty but should have no sporting intentions…thats how I interpreted it at least. But I see more hot hatches than a lil bit. So with that said, its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out🤔

1 Like

I agree it definitely took a turn somewhere towards sport-ville a few cars in.

Still, this is an exciting competition. I had the pleasure of reviewing stats from a couple of the entries (you can always send me yours and I’ll add it) and there’s some really smart choices being made.

The OP has the pick of quite a litter.

3 Likes

I think mine has a whopping 73hp, which I felt was appropriate given the mission brief. But seeing all these hot hatches I made a “sport” variant for my own satisfaction. Ill send the base version over since Im somewhat comfortable with my engineering choices for this round.

Honestly, I misread the brief and made something more sporty than what may have been necessary (though 120hp isn’t massively powerful).

1 Like

it is almost certainly not winning, I’ll be glad if it simply gets past all the bins, with its goofy smart-like engineering and boxer engine.

Fuck it, the car saw some changes so I’ll just make entirely new post.

wow look a poster , ,and even the price adjusted to inflation

@ldub0775 took pictures , and made interior , and helped with engineering ,

Hey, at least I designed it.

7 Likes

First stage out, the cars with strange engineering and broken rules

The rule breakers, the risk takers, the crazy ones

IKIGAI E-140i @lanson

On the larger end of the scale the Ikigai is a modern looking 5 door hatchback. The front end is suitably sporty looking with a large grille and vents with fog lights in the vents. Their is a revvy 1.4l engine up front which makes good power, but this is all very high in the rev range as is torque with nothing lower down. Curiously there is a tubular exhaust manifold used with little silencing making the car very loud. The 6 speed gearbox at least offers plenty of ratios to make the most of the way the power is delivered, the use of a limited slip differential seems odd on a lower powered car however. Ultimately their are a few questionable choices from the untreated steel panels and chassis to all round vented disc brakes.

Reduit WC2 @kobacrashi

The WC2 ends up aiming a bit too high for what sort of car i wanted. If it had the same style with fwd it would probably have fared better, The all cast iron block and head in 2008 is a no no for a small sports car with a mid engine however as it’s extra weight you just don’t want. To fight the natural tendency to oversteer staggered tyres have been used, a small difference wouldn’t have stood out, but 185 at the rear and 135 front is a lot and even more than a smart fortwo. Service costs (caused by the engine layout) are also higher than every other car, and i would guess insurance would be high too in reality. In a round aimed at small sports cars the WC2 would no doubt fare better as it is a good looking car, and stats wise the comfort and sportiness are on the higher half of the entries

Hirochi Beatbox @nicholasrams774

unknown_2022.05.19-19.14 (2)

This imports with no engine and mechanicals due to being made in the stable release no the open alpha.

Dongsun AC-1 1.8 WRC @Hilbert & @ldub0775

The AC-1 is a bit of an unusual looking car halfway between a hatchback and a people carrier. This particular model might be a sporty model but there isn’t a lot on the outside to show this. Quite a few strange engineering choices here. The engine is fully cast iron, however it has tubular exhaust manifolds and a high flow cat. The fully clad undertray doesn’t really belong here neither do active dampers or sway bars. With some re-engineering the overall design of the car could work well for a small family car challenge.

Drachen Pecan Sport @randomtuner

Some of the engineering of the Pecan is a bit on the experimental side for me with aluminium panels making the car lightweight but also would be very expensive for repairs, also makes the purchase price of the car very high. On the other end of the scale the entire engine is cast iron which is on the antique side for a 2008 city car. The lack of traction aids, non-variable hydraulic steering and solid front discs round out the backwards engineering steps. I do however like the design work, the two tone colour works well with the racing stripes on the bottom of the car. The front and rear elements also work well together for a sporting model of a small car. Sadly the engineering of this let it down. I do have to note you were the only person to send in hand drawings of an interior and they were really impressive and conveyed the interior design well.

Lance 2 1100bei @inf2

The design doesn’t really have any sporting pretensions, the vent on the rear of the car does hint towards something a bit “different” for the Lance 2. Some of the engineering choices made to compensate for the rear engine location stop the car from going much further, Staggered tyres on this class of car is the major killer tbh as its a big cost on what should be a cheaper car.

MD GT2 132s @the-chowi

Another yellow hatchback, this one is definitely on the extremely sporting side of the design however. The design, with the large front grille is in my opinion a bit too modern for 2008, it would make more sense about 5 years later on. The engine is also a bit on the powerful side for what i am after and is also too loud for me. After all these sporty looks and engine the brakes end up letting the side down with a lot of brake fade and both the front and rear. The interior, infotainment and safety all being on the basic level really harm the sporting ideals of the GT2 making it uncomfortable and relatively unsafe in the crowd.

AXUUS @DuceTheTruth100

Over the overall length limit of 4.00m at 4.15m. The Axuus is low on comfort and sportiness compared to the competition. The engine choice is just too low powered for a car of this size and weight and also probably shouldn’t be made completely of cast iron if it was new for 2008.

GSI Arden @oppositelock

Another casualty of the 4.0m total length rule, car is 4.09m long. If not for the length problems the car is overall pretty good, the design is simple and on the lower end of sporty but it looks convincing enough. The engine is good, but could do without the tubular exhaust and the high flow cat is maybe a bit border line.

Boxwell Eclipse Sport @Endfinity

Focus body strikes again, this car is 4.14m long. The Eclipse sport wouldn’t have got to the finals even without the rule breaking as some of the stats were a bit on the lower side and the design isn’t the strongest, the front end is reasonable looking but the rear lights are a bit too simple and i’m not a fan of the side moulding design.

Quaglia Cuesta 1.6R @HybridTronny

The Cuesta is 4.05m long, i don’t believe this body can morph under the 4.0m length. I like the design however, it looks sporty without being over the top, the wheels could probably do with being a bit larger though as they are lost in the arches with small sidewall profile too. The engine is alright and would have been a good fit for the car if it had been a bit smaller. The comfort however is a bit low considering the size of the car and the double wishbone suspension all round.

8 Likes

I went out…

But I think I went out in style lol. Thanks for the challenge @mart1n2005

There’s a lot of good looking cars up there, may the best one win!!

Been some time since my last instabin. Nice to see I could get back to the cool kids club.

Good reviews of the bins. Informative without making fun of people that at least tried.

The lack of traction aids, non-variable hydraulic steering and solid front discs round out the backwards engineering steps

Is this a test of attentiveness? I well remember you pointing out at the beginning of the assignment that the car must not have a sporting claim. The obligation to fit ventilated discs is overkill.
From the looks of it, you didn’t do your work.

The brief required a supermini with minor sporting pretensions, but not outright hot hatches (although the client would most likely have accepted a warm hatch):

With this in mind:

Not exactly true. In fact, IIRC vented discs all around (or at least up front) on regular superminis would have been commonplace by 2008.

1 Like