CSR156 - Speed Metal [DONE]

i would just like to say that amidst a hectic schedule and me being on holiday for the past week until the next, i can’t submit the .car file and thus be withdrawing lmao

(i literally already exported the .car and everything was done but i didnt bring my laptop)

common gamer adhd L :skull:

sorry everyone :sob::melting_face:

6 Likes

You could instead show off your Rusa here to share some more detailed aspects of your build, and if you are so inclined, you could even share the .car file there as well, if anyone else is interested in a deep dive. However, I just realized that it was built on one of the '60 240Z-esque body sets - most of the entries I’ve seen here are based on body sets that are unlocked in 1980 or later.

And if you fear that you may not be able to submit an entry on time in the future, it may be a good idea to send in your challenge submission on the same day you finish it, as I have done for the past few years.

1 Like

yeah… kept forgetting about that part lol but will post a more detailed spec and stat sheet here once i get back (definitely after the deadline :skull:) cuz im just curious how mine would stack up (if it were… ahem reviewed)

It was only after I had submitted my entry (a mid-engined, rear-drive coupe with the looks of a miniature supercar) that I began evaluating the potential of a front-engined alternative. The best I could do was built on the Super variant of the '80 E90 Corolla body (2.47m wheelbase), powered by a 210-bhp 2.0L turbo I4 (running on regular unleaded) driving the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual gearbox and geared LSD, with dual wishbones front and rear on a galvanized steel unibody with partial aluminum bodywork, and a standard 2+2 interior without driving aids to keep costs and complexity down. In testing, it yielded an even higher sportiness value than my actual CSR156 entry (and superior prestige, safety, practicality, and reliability, albeit at the expense of drivability, comfort, and economy), but since looks matter more than (or at least as much as) raw performance, I’m grateful that I went the mid-engined route.

1 Like

HINODE MID2

M I D 2

The MID2’s 2-passenger mid-engine design – also available in turbocharged form, provides optimum weight distribution for rapid, responsive handling. High levels of fun, quality, and value make the MID2 a reliable, rewarding means of personal transportation.

COCKPIT

In the MID2’s cockpit, all controls fall within easy, natural reach. Instrumentation is logically arranged. If you have chosen the removable sunroof option (standard on the MID2 Turbo), enjoy the breeze with the removable tinted glass panels which can be conveniently stored behind the seats. Through the MID2’s tinted glass, you have a wide field of vision – engineering that clearly puts the driver first.

ENGINE

The MID2’s 1.6 liter twin cam engine takes the fast track with 115 horsepower. The MID2’s advanced four valve per cylinder technology permits the “free breathing” required to deliver peak power at top revs. If you thrill the dynamic performance of the MID2, you will be ecstatic about the way the MID2 Turbo rockets you from 0-62mph in a mere 5.7 seconds. The MID2 Turbo engine is paired to a 5-speed manual gearbox with lower 1st and 2nd gears that burst you out front.

STYLE

The MID2 is available in a wide variety of colours, including Red, White, Blue, and Black. With its combination of bold style and flowing lines, you will most certainly glance back at your MID2 whenever you are leaving it.

© 1987 Hinode Motor Corp.

19 Likes

I’m familiar with the '80s MID2, so it makes perfect sense for you to make an updated trim for the purpose of this challenge.

Would you please stop offering baseline “I know what this is” comments to most of the builds you see around here? It’s not productive.

15 Likes

Thanks.

NEW Xf! The Xf Frieze!
An awesome new sports car! 147 horsepower, rear wheel drive! Fun! Top speed of 157.3 mph and 0-60 mph time of 6.9 seconds! Quick!

1 Like
6 Likes

Here :ballot_box_with_check:

There :ballot_box_with_check:

Everywhere :ballot_box_with_check:

A car for every occasion. That was the goal of Bellerophon Motor Company when they set out to design their new liftback sports coupe, the Viaggio. Timeless Italian styling looks good anytime, anywhere: from the drugery of the morning commute to the joys of the Italian Lakes. The all new, all aluminum V6 was created specially for this model and combines with front double wishbone suspension to make sure that the handling and performance match the styling, so your new car is up for anything. Available now from your local BMC dealer starting at just 12900AMU.

3 Likes

Niichi Aquila

Completely refreshed for 1987

Pictured: Niichi Aquila 2.0 Five-door Liftback

Niichi Motor Company - Technology for Today, Legacy for Tomorrow

15 Likes
1987 Midlands Cygnus GX

Rally bred, road ready

✦ Lore

Sometimes, a small 3 door hatchback is just a fuel efficient grocery getter. Other times they’re fire breathing monsters that tear up Norwegian rally stages like a hot knife through butter. The 1987 Midlands Cygnus manages to be both. Aggressive looks born from its roots as Groupe B rally homologation platform are juxtaposed against the almost mundane levels of fuel economy and driver ease. Seen here in the GX trim, you have a slightly more posh treatment of interior materials paired with the weight savings of a paired down radio unit. You can easily blast “Hungry Like The Wolf” by Duran Duran at full volume and it’ll sound great, but the symphony of a N/A V6 behind you provides its own soundtrack to your spirited driving.

Spirited driving is just what the Cygnus engenders in its owners, with rally proven AWD, a lively 161 horsepower, and a 5 speed manual with fully synchromeshed gears. This produces performance similar to a mid range Porsche 911, with a 0-60 of 6.78 seconds, a top speed of 141 mph, and consistent almost 1 g of cornering grip on standard road tyres, not fancy sports ones that have to be changed out every summer. With this sportscar like performance comes all of the practicality and efficiency of a small 3 door hatchback. You do only have two seats, but you have the cavernous rear cargo area that easily fits things such as: a full load of groceries, 4 or 5 guitar cases, a full drum kit, a small christmas tree, or two of your daredevil friends who think seatbelts are for suckers. Thanks to the rear engined nature of the majority of Midlands vehicles, the Cygnus also has a fairly ample frunk to carry even more things, such as more temperature sensitive items. You also have a solid 26 combined MPG, which despite not being true econobox levels of efficient, it’ll still steer you clear of paying any gas guzzler taxes. The msrp of only $13,300 is a much lighter buy in than most sources of this level of performance as well. Overall, the 1987 Midlands Cygnus GX provides aggressive rally racer fun in a convenient, easy to live with package.

Specifications

✧ 2.66 L DOHC 2v, N/A V6
✧ 161 horsepower @ 5800 RPM
✧ 166 Ft-Lb of torque @ 3800 RPM
✧ 1054 Kg
✧ 5 speed syncromeshed manual
✧ 215 55R15 Turbine rims
✧ 6.78 sec 0-60
✧ 141 mph top speed
✧ $13,300

18 Likes

A collab with @DrDoomD1scord

pov: you don't have enough class for a Kaizen

The power of Eitr, distilled for the street

1987 Aurgelmir Fenrir

Introduction and some specifications

Aurgelmir, named after the first of the Norwegian supernatural beings known as Jötunn, is the luxury brand of Ragnarok. Founded by Swedish engineer Lars Nilsson in the US, they benefited greatly from the Allies’ efforts during WWII. Leveraging their experience in international business, proud marketing, and sound, functional engineering and design, Ragnarok took on the reputation of a company that was highly willing to take risks, in terms of overhauling its existing designs and adopting potentially groundbreaking new ideas. Aurgelmir sought to elevate this excellence, adding a bit of class while being more approachable to the American population than its competitors.

The Fenrir is one of their signature models, serving as the personal luxury coupe. After all, it’s namesake suggests someone a scrappy, aggressive upstart that can hold its own with the gods of their segment.

This generation, first introduced in 1987, can be considered a significant step forward for both the nameplate and the brand. With significant international competition, a more complete balance of performance and comfort was desired, while respecting a reasonable level of economy.

They say that Aurgelmir was “born” from Eitr, a poisonous substance. Like it’s namesake, the Fenrir was born from a taste for power, in the mechanical sense of the engineering and the customer’s achievements and desires in life.

Power can be corrupting, so engineers implemented several ways of controlling it, most notably with the use of an advanced 4 wheel independent suspension allowing greater control of vehicle dynamics.

Standard equipment includes a modern 4 wheel, 4 channel antilock braking system with 4 wheel discs, a 5 liter 230 hp OHV V8, a ZF4HP electronically controlled 4 speed automatic transmission delivering power to the rear wheels, alloy wheels, power steering and accessories, and a well appointed interior.

Most options centered on improved performance, including a sport package that retuned the suspension, brakes, and aero while adding a limited slip differential and the option of a 5 speed manual. For both versions, a 280 hp 6 liter V8 was offered.

VEHICLE TYPE
Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
PRICE
$25,000
(note that this represents the theoretical actual pricing, not in-game price)
ENGINE TYPE
Eitr 50BR1
Pushrod V8, iron block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement
5.0L, 4997cc
Power
230 hp @ 5100 rpm
Torque
280 lb-ft @ 3300 rpm
TRANSMISSION
4-speed automatic
PERFORMANCE
Zero to 62 mph: 7.5 sec
Top speed: 155 mph
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined: 16 US mpg

Photos

20 Likes

1987 Hitachi HT80 Tempest

Born to drift

Lore

What was supposed to be a budget sport car for the mass, a faulty calculation while in development has crippled the car with oversteer, although it is minor but this can sometimes impact drivers’ experience. To counteract this, Hitachi had a rather clever idea to advertise it as a car for drifting, and so, if anyone complains about the oversteeryness of the car, well… They bought a car for drifting!

Specification

Layout: Front-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive

Engine: HI4
1.8 liter DOHC Inline 4 Turbo, the HI4 engine is capable of producing 208bhp @ 6000RPM, 282Nm of torque @ 4100RPM.

Transmission: HM50 5-Speed Manual Transmission

Wheelbase: 2.39m
Length: 4.25m
Width: 1.75m

Curb Weight:1082.7 kg

Gallery

2 Likes

1987 Condor Taipan GT

Gallery

6 Likes

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED

Full Submissions:

@Riley
@Ch_Flash
@Knugcab
@abg7
@the-chowi
@z2bbgr
@Atomic & @Maverick74
@HybridTronny & @Tsundere-kun
@shibusu
@crwpitman1
@ChilPollins
@RAZR
@Happyhungryhippo
@mart1n2005
@vero94773
@doot
@Ludvig
@Danicoptero
@conan
@TanksAreTryhards
@donutsnail
@vouge & @Maxbombe
@Vento
@BTCheetah
@karhgath
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@MisterRocketMan
@Portalkat42
@66mazda & @DrDoomD1scord
@04mmar
@Fantic2000

Ad, no .car: (You guys are out)

@missionsystem
@Oreology (withdrawn)
@MoteurMourmin

.car, no ad (24 hour grace period to post ad)

@Executive
@moroza
@LS_Swapped_Rx-7

Again, please let me know if I’ve missed you - y’all get 24 hours to contact me if I did. Also: This means 34 .car files entered. Let’s pare that down, shall we? Instabins coming soon.

15 Likes

1987 Mercer Scorpion R/X

Introducing the Mercer Scorpion, updated for the 1987 model year. God damnit we miss the 60s too and lying about our power numbers, but things are slightly warming up as now our 5.2 liter V8 makes a whopping 240 horsepower! It’s… something I guess.

Is it even economical? Can it turn? Has the suspension been modernized? Who gives a fuck? It can haul ass from 0 to 60 in just 5.7 seconds? In short, your complaints about the ancient solid axle are invalid. The least we can provide for now is this fancy new alien tech called fuel injection.

So what are you waiting for? Become the coolest kid in the trailer park now for just $13,600, a case of beer, and a pack of cigarettes.

Gallery

19 Likes

Someone say “speed”?

Someone say “metal”?

Here at Norðwagen, we know a thing or two about both.

Derived from the Þor supercar, the Nightslayer is a more budget-friendly alternative, designed to be a worthy chariot for the up-and-coming stage god. Designed to work; like, to schlep you and your shit around. Designed to inspire your harder and darker art. Designed to SLAY. All NIGHT.

208hp? 240? 286? Bah! The Nightslayer’s 6666 cubes of doom summon three hundred horses from hell that might get an even run for 5.7 seconds to 100kph, but keep them running and watch them SLAY! For $14k, you won’t get much more speed anywhere else…

…and with the standard-equipment premium CD sound system that already goes to 11, it doesn’t get much more metal than this.

7 Likes

(G)ROUND ZERO: THE INSTABINS

(Left to, uhh, right: Clyde Dominator GTS @ChilPollins; Veloce Giove S/C Turbo @Ch_Flash; Empire Phoenix ESP @Atomic & @Maverick74; Torrent Riptide B6b @crwpitman1; Ilaris MR @shibusu; Phénix Hyperion 24V Clubsport @karhgath; Brumont Grand Imperial TurboLimited @Maxbombe & @vouge)

The Bunker, September 22, 2 PM

The concert had been a success on the face of it. Revolt benefitted from a responsive crowd, and Rob in particular put down a crushing vocal performance which would - unbeknownst to him at the time - be remembered long after: by his advocates for its passion, and by his nitpickers for his handful of spoonerisms and ad-libs.
Whether this on-stage triumph could be monetized would remain uncertain for some time; in the meantime, the four musically-inclined degenerates behind the performance rested, having only just stirred into life to encounter a mean hangover. And once the slow and satisfied chatter about the concert ran its course, the conversation drifted back to Saturday night’s topic: Rob’s search for a car.

David: Didn’t you say the other day that you really dug the way those Clyde Dominators looked?

Rob: I mean, yeah, but they’re still way outta reach. And hey, Johnny-boy, didn’t you say these things weren’t right or something?

The guitarist stirred; with his naturally high tolerance, he was less out of it than the rest - and used that fact to fill the air with his grievances.

John: “Weren’t right” is letting 'em off easy. We’re talking about a hopped-up muscle car, simple as dirt and all that, that gets sold for over 30 grand. Rob was thinking 14, this thing doubles it and then some! And that’s not to mention that they posture and pump it up as the last great hunk of American muscle, but the engine’s got a dumb cutoff, the rears lock on a dime, and Christ, if you go fast enough you end up going backwards if you try and turn!

Rob: Yeah, what he said. 30 grand, for God’s sake.

(Binned for exceeding the price limit. The idea for the car is good as is the general design direction, but the engineering is sloppy - leading to flaws such as massive 70hp power drops in the gearing and high-speed terminal oversteer. The techpool is legal, but it’s the default amount - though as far as I’ve experimented, the car is still incapable of making the budget even if it did have 75 points of techpool)

John: I’d suggest something like the Empire Phoenix… Not quite as fast, but it’s just under 14 grand.

Luke: Hey, no! All Empires are doomed to fail!

David: Heh, they kinda are. The metallurgy on their V8 bottom ends is some kinda crap. You don’t want one’a those.

Rob: Don’t gotta tell me twice. It’s got the ass only a mother could love, too.

(Binned for techpool: The bottom end is set to +1 when the minimum is +2. A decent build, but would not have been a finalist due to only “good” straight-line performance.)

Rob: Nah, want a real pity? The Brumont Grand Imperial. I love that car. Just… Love it to death. It’s pretty as hell, it’s fast as hell, it’s cool as hell. But apparently, Brumont’s suppliers are so crap that as of right now, practically every other steering pump on the GI Turbos comes out broken!

(The bin is for incorrect techpool (sum of 76, even on the attached techpool picture); however, there’s a bunch of cheese to speak of in the car’s construction itself, most notably the manual rack steering in a vehicle weighing 3300 lbs. Like the characters say, a great shame - this is otherwise one of the prettiest cars here, and well-engineered as well all cheese aside.)

David: I have a whole gaggle of stories like that. The Veloce Giove isn’t my cup of tea, but I know a couple guys who swear by the Italian stuff. And then there’s the Phénix Hyperion - a car I thought would do real good when it launched. Guess what? Both delayed by months because of teething issues. Wouldn’t go near them right now.

(Two more techpool exits: the Veloce is one point over, the Phénix - three points. Neither car was really finalist material, though the Hyperion was the closer one.)

David: Of course, that’s not as bad as the Ilaris MR and Torrent Riptide. Both those cars got pulled off the market and investigated for failing emissions targets.

Luke: You’d give the Riptide a chance otherwise? Torrent’s factories are kooky as hell! I heard on the radio the other day that one of their assembly robots broke down after they managed to put an engine into a car sideways so bad it got stuck.

(Both binned for using engines from 1986. The Torrent is also guilty of a whole gaggle of sensibility and realism red flags - like solid front discs, hard-compound tires on a sports car of all things… Or, I don’t know, the transversely-mounted boxer engine.)

Rob: Okay, I’ve just about had it with this. Feel like I got spiders in my head. How about we hit up a burger joint, lemme clear my head, and then we’ll talk about it later?

26 Likes