CSR160 - The Pannonian Sailor [RESULTS]

yeah, it’s just like 25 or so hours of my life I’ll never get back

But I guess if that’s what it takes to learn a lesson…

It is very rare for the rules to be bent for naming although it is good etiquette and common practice for hosts to reply to submissions saying that the car has to be renamed if they get back to their computer and look at the submission before the deadline. Did you submit at the last minute?

1 Like

I know that’s how it happens a lot of the time, and that’s why I’m asking - what for? Is it just to relieve the workload of the host?

I submitted like 12 hours before the deadline, however I was confused by the deadline, so who knows, maybe it was last minute in reality.

Cus, y’know, doing it “because that’s how it always has been” isn’t very convincing reasoning to me

Feel free to ignore my tantrum, perhaps that would actually be the better thing to do

I get the frustration shoji and me made a similar mistake. Host enforcing the rule for naming by binning you may seem harsh, however the rule has been broken and even thought it does not directly impact the stats of your car, it is still an equally importat rule. Yeah its a shame your car won’t get reviewed, but you still made a car, hopefully out of enjoyment not just because you want somebody to comment on it. Besides most of the hosts here would gladly give you feedback on your submission if you just ask them when the round finishes.

8 Likes

You just woke up and decided to give me a heart attack??? Don’t do me like that :sob:

3 Likes

Crap, I thought I checked that. Well, better luck next time then.

think about it this way- as a host, you’re sacrificing your own time, having to deal with people who are being needlessly impossible and having to keep track of upwards of 20 different cars, so in return all that you ask is people follow a basic naming convention so that things don’t get mucked up, and when people don’t it’s a frusturating event that leads to a unfortunate consequence.

take it from me, it sucks to get binned for something stupid like that, but it happens to the best of us. throwing a fit at the host doesn’t change the result, and it certainly doesn’t make you look very good either. take it as a reminder to double, even triple check everything before you submit, and try not to take it so seriously - it’s just a game after all.

5 Likes

To add to this, a case could have been made for a couple of the invalid submissions to let them go through the instabins on a whim (something not all that uncommon in smaller CSR rounds), but in this case, an improperly submitted car only just adds to the workload I have to endure to get the end results done because I have to throw a bunch of additional time away checking to see whose car I’m looking at in the first place. There’s a reason that rule is there (including the engine family requirement). There have been 31 submissions this round and the extra work these cars would’ve resulted in would’ve exponentially increased time between rounds and also not been fair on everyone else who got canned for other, similar reasons. Also, yeah you are right in that instabins are a way for the host to get rid of cars that break rules to ease the workload up a bit, but it’s like that way for everyone and that’s what makes it fair.

9 Likes

It’s time management. For as long as it takes you to make the car the host then has to sort all of them based on criteria, then stare at them from every angle for however long to try and rate the styling. For 20+ cars. And on some occasions upwards of 40 or more. In addition to a day job, school, or possibly both. Not to mention any kids, significant others, or family time that comes up.

Trust me, I get it. I’ve been competing off and on since CSR118. I think in all that I’ve only made it to the second round twice. That’s not just CSR, that’s also the QFC and the various spin-offs that pop up. It 100% sucks, but getting mad and ranting makes you the villain. Just take a breath, step back for a minute, and jump back in when you’re ready.

8 Likes

How am I so dumb

So uhh sorry for all that, I made a severe and continuous lapse in my judgement, if you will

I shall not be bothering yall with my retardation filled presence for a while

Should I delete my messages to clean the chat up a little? Or would that be cowardice?

Also, damn I got ratio’d good

I’d say it’s fine. You brought up a point about challenge rules, people disagreed with it, and it was all done in a relatively civil manner. No bridges were burned, and I would venture to say you don’t even need to go away for any period of time.

What I would like to see - and I think many people here would agree - is for you to focus on improvement and not on making fun of yourself. You haven’t been active in the community too long, but for what is (correct me if I’m wrong) your third competition entry? It looks pretty good. You have potential to build upon, and if you learn from the other people in this community with respect to design and engineering, and make a habit of double-checking your entries, you’ll be making successful cars - both as personal projects and challenge entries - in no time.

15 Likes

Hey man, chill, there’s no need to be harsh on yourself either. I’m pretty sure every one that has ever submitted a car for a challenge (of course myself included) has failed to the naming convention rule at least once (trust me, it gets even more shameful after the second or third time).

A small advice: if you feel that delivering an entrie for a challenge becomes more of a tedious thing rather than a fun one, then you should not go for it. It is a game after all, and challenges are meant (most of the times) to be enjoyed.

5 Likes

Having been here about a year and observed a few recurring patterns with this sort of thing - including, embarrassingly, in myself - I sympathize with the point expressed here, and offer my two cents of what might be learned from it.

1. The first time I hosted a competition with a meaningful number of entries, even after reading warnings (like this one) of how much more work it is than it seems, the workload surprised me. And apart from the sheer quantity of entries, having to clean them up is surprisingly burdensome. The naming issue quite rightfully seems a petty triviality to you; ifnwhen you find yourself on the receiving end, though, as a host, I think you’ll sing a different tune. I did, anyway.

2. The effort you put into your car is not lost or wasted. By all means, you can base future builds on what you’ve done here. Anecdotally, what I’ve seen is that most of the best builds are iterations on previous work. The brief of this CSR is hardly unusual, and the car you built for it will undoubtedly be well-suited for another challenge in the near future. Looking at your entry specifically, I see a lot of potential for its further refinement, quite likely to a degree higher than another similar car started from scratch. It’s a damn sight better than my work at a comparable level of experience was.

6 Likes

Round One

@azkaalfafa

Duwang Krystal 1.5

Dragana was more than satisfied by its looks - modern and clean. It has an automatic gearbox, good drivability, great comfort and it's pretty sporty to drive.

Shortlisted

@abg7

AMS Abella 1.0

While not necessarily impressed by its design, the couple made the decision to shortlist it thanks to its great drivability, amazing practicality and low service cost. It also has an automatic gearbox to boot.

Shortlisted

@nightwave

Airman Shrike EC4

Pretty... weird looking. Neither of the two were big fans of its design, nor were taken aback by its pitifully low drivability, astronomical service costs and sky-high fuel economy.

Binned

@Hilbert

Quix iE 0.8

Funky! It has crossover vibes, which Dragana wasn't a fan of, however it's also pretty interesting and quirky, almost cute. It has a great drivability score, great comfort and it's it's the cheapest car of the round. It also has a CVT - a little unusual but not something the two would pass up.

Shortlisted

@the-chowi

Montagne Roraima Ciel

Bit of a busy looking car. It's French though, so nothing out of the ordinary. It drives really well and is pretty comfortable, but the fuel consumption is a bit high. Despite all that, and its more traditional manual transmission, it's getting shortlisted.

Shortlisted

@mart1n2005

Courageux Petit

2001 is that you? Dragana really was not a fan of its cuboidal late 90s looks. It has a clunky automated manual transmission, uses quite a lot of fuel and is on the lower end of comfort as far as this round's offerings go.

Binned

@Oreology

Ruso Kura

A great, clean and elegant design. It has a great engine, too. It's among the best in class fo- oh it has 200 width tires, something nearly no major commercial auto parts stores have in stock.

Binned

@Mikonp7

Renwoo Lien

Relatively inoffensive-looking, pretty sporty as far as driving dynamics go, and it's really versatile and practical. It does, however have really poor drivability, comfort and fuel economy, which wouldn't be enough to kick it off the shortlist... unless the service cost wasn't this high.

Binned

@yurimacs

Bradford UrbanTrekker

Wow! The couple was amazed by its looks. Really solid design aside, it's also incredibly easy and calming to drive. It reminded Djordje of his old "Ajkula" (Citroen DS). Its fuel consumption is a bit on the higher side, and is a bit less sporty and comfortable than some of its rivals, but it gets a pass.

Shortlisted

@iivansmith

Homada Mocha SL

A solid, if a bit optimistic and sporty exterior coupled to a chassis that provides a ridiculously comfortable ride, okay drivability and great safety makes this an easy shortlist. One thing the couple weren't very much a fan of, however, was the astronomical service cost which may prove to be a bit of a setback in the later rounds.

Shortlisted

25 Likes

There’s the bin I expected. I can’t say I’m quite surprised, as apparently most of my styling ends up… quirky. And I presume my engineering is usually quite… American. Which is to say blunt and cavalier.

I am very surprised at the number of entries submitted with an automatic, auto-manual or CVT in a time, place and category where anything but a traditional stick shift was very rare in real life. I know using an automatic significantly boosts the raw comfort score of the car, so if it doesn’t already do so, the game really needs to adjust buyer preferences on a per-market basis to compensate for that in Campaign Mode - for example, in categories like City Budget, Fun and Commuter Budget in Fruinia and Hetvesia, which are usually manual in real-life Europe, the automatic comfort bonus should be nearly negated when calculating a car’s desirability to buyers, whereas in markets like Luxury Premium you’d still get the full penalty for going manual.

1 Like

I guess that’s down to the compromise of ‘Automation reality’ vs. real-world reality in different countries.

Based on this challenge (and a few others), I just raised the point and got confirmation that the current balance is indeed working as intended: Discord

So, for these challenges, it would be down to the host to account for local differences. So, if they wanted to compensate for the huge boost Adv Auto gives over a manual in the 2000s, they could have said, for instance

• “The buyers are fond of driving stick; I will thus disregard the drivability boost and halve the comfort boost an AdvAuto or CVT gives over a manual gearbox with the same number of gears.”
  • Elevate fuel eco and reliability to 3-star and give a minimum sportiness threshold (to kill off CVTs)

Here, it was the other way around (an already borderline-OP choice was advertised to get another small boost), so it’s perfectly rational to send in an AdvAuto or CVT.

By the way, the Automation market mechanics seem to work well - I have made three ‘release candidate’ models: 5-speed manual, 4-speed auto and CVT, all other things equal except for some gearing optimisation for fuel eco etc. The manual beats the other two in Fruinian city markets, with the CVT being last.

1 Like

There was also a slight score boost if we submitted an automatic. My car was a stick initially but I changed it to auto when this rule was added. It did felt dirty to not send a stick for sure.

Round Two

@AndiD

Mara Sora

Not a strikingly gorgeous car, however its fantastically low service cost, great drivability and pretty good fuel economy means it's getting shortlisted.

Shortlisted

@IncredibleHondaFit

Poirot P2

Abysmal drivability, sky-high service cost and pretty mediocre looks means this car slipped off the consideration list as soon as the couple saw it.

Binned

@karhgath

Régal Lion 1.2L E

Yet again, disappointing in the looks department, however the Lion does make up for it in terms of drivability, its safety and comfort. Something to look out for in future rounds, however, is the monstrous fuel consumption.

Shortlisted

@vero94773

Hwaseung Asilar SE⁵

A solid, if a bit old, looking design. It's not outstanding in any particular metric, but that's exactly why it moves onto the next round - nothing sticks out as particularly bad about it.

Shortlisted

@Portalkat42

Citrine Macro

Quirky bean-like shape. Dragana was very impressed by its packaging. It has awesome drivability, great comfort and a low buy-in price.

Shortlisted

@GetWrekt01 & @HybridTronny

Pikemen Morib E16

Interestingly, the next entry went for the same sort of design approach as the Citrine. It's not quite as good looking, not as easy to drive, but it's even more comfortable, gets better fuel economy and is a considerable amount cheaper.

Shortlisted

@Knugcab

IP Urbana 1.2

A somewhat sad-looking car. Its drivability is pretty poor considering some of the other entries, it's not particularly comfortable and... it's not that nice to look at. To top it off, it's more expensive than both the Citrine and Pikemen.

Binned

@NormanVauxhall

Znopresk Zest+

Pretty bland and safe design. Dragana didn't find much to complain about, but then again, neither did she find much to like either. Again, like with the previous entry, its pretty hard to drive compared to some of its rivals and it's perched up right against the budget cap.

Binned

@Ch_Flash

Yajirushi Kenso

The green plastic adorning the faux-BBS rims and lining the headlight internals is gopping. Very Cheshire. Again, it's not as easy to drive as its competitors, and the amount of fuel it uses is surprising.

Binned

@Texaslav & @Maxbombe

Waldersee Attache

Funky French shape! Dragana liked it very much. Unusual, but striking and yet restrained. It had among the highest drivability of any car it's competing against, perfectly adequate comfort and only a tiny fuel consumption.

Shortlisted

@TanksAreTryhards

ITAL Latina

It's not got a pretty face, although in this case, ugly *is* only skin-deep. Apart from its relatively mediocre drivability, it's extremely comfortable, efficient and cheap to run

Shortlisted

@ScintillaBeam

Mori Kazoku

It does look pretty good, but what the hell is this tyre stagger? (195 front, 235 rear) - I'd understand if it were AWD, but it's a FRONT wheel drive car.

Binned

@Ananas

Oran Yuropa

Apart from its 1993-esque appearance, its front tyres are 10mm wider than the rears. Audi RS3 is that you?

Binned

@EnCR

Creer Luciole

It looks pretty interesting. Dragana liked the light-green paintjob. It's not particularly excellent at anything, much like the Hwaseung, but neither is it particularly bad at anything.

Shortlisted

@Fantic2000

Nardini Givet

Pretty safe and inoffensive design yet again, however it's a pretty fuel-thirsty car, and apart from the fact it's likely to rust away pretty soon, it's at the absolute limit of what the budget allows.

Binned

@donutsnail

Stellar Sora

Very boxy. Very Americana. Very brash. Dragana wasn't a big fan, but Djordje loved it to bits. It has the best drivability out of any of the cars featured in this round, it's pretty frugal and, thanks to its boxiness, it's pretty practical

Shortlisted

17 Likes