Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 FINAL RESULTS]

**LONGLEY LIGHTNING “SpeedWagon” 1989

A boring wagon… Or so you thought
Founded in 1911, Longley Automotive concentrated on high end luxury performance cars until the end of WWII, when they began to dive into the more affordable car classes for that extra bit of money they needed. Longley, as most British car companies are, known for producing unreliable, terribly engineered but beautiful sports cars but also produced some boring econoboxes to challenge local rivals British Leyland. One of these boring, affordable cars was the Longley Lightning, an extremely long wagon (or estate as they call it in Britain, presumably because they are as large as a estate mansion lol) which was heavy and slow. It didn’t drive brilliantly, but it didn’t drive terrible either, which gave Longley an idea…

Sport Exhausts?! This is no ordinary station wagon
First they painted the car in their traditional white and British racing green colors, so it looked fast. That was all well and good, but they needed it to go fast. So they added a 3.6 litre turbocharged V6 engine with 255 BHP, a 5-speed manual and made it rear wheel drive. This shot it from 0-60 in 9 seconds, and you could fit your wife, three children and three big dogs (or suitcases if you don’t own a zoo) in the back as well

The “SpeedWagon” on the right, with the Premium model in the model, and the rubbish one on the left
Compared to Longley’s other sports models, the “SpeedWagon” (or “SuperEstate” in the UK) was quite reliable. This made it very popular with fathers on a mid life crisis

POP UP UP AND DOWN HEADLIGHTS!!!
The whole idea of the model was to showcase Longley’s return to the sports market for the upcoming decade, whilst showcasing their new technology, including custom climate control (although this often broke within 1 month to a year), vented brake discs and electronic gauges (still used an 8 track for some reason).

The lovely interior, with lot’s of Benz S-Class styling cues
Compared to it’s main rivals, the BMW M5 and Mercedes S-Class, the “SpeedWagon” was incredibly cheap at just $28000, just 10K more than the base model. This was seen as the ultimate sleeper, until some Swedes dumped a 2.3 5-cylinder engine in a very long cardboard box turned up.

3 Likes

Shijiazhuang Motors L1 3.5TT

Info/Stats

Shijiazhuang Motors is a Chinese automaker founded in 1992, partially funded by the Chinese government. They started by exporting a small, cheap, and fuel efficient sedan, dubbed the T1, with a transversely mounted 3.5 liter V6. Alongside the T1 they created the L1, a Premium family wagon, on a stretched version of the T1 chassis.

The L1 shown above is fitted with a Twin Turbo variant of the 3.5 liter V6, producing 285hp @ 6300RPM and 285lb-ft of torque @ 4300RPM, and fitted with a 4 speed automatic accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds, and has a top speed of 163 mph.

The L1 as shown was priced at 35,300 A$ in 1992, with that price commanding the aforementioned V6, a Premium interior with a cassette player, Transverse AWD, Advanced 90s Safety, and MultiLink Rear Suspension.

9 Likes

Fun and elegance fly free on this jet.

1989 Munot Levant GS Turbo

Lore

Munot’s launch of the 4th generation of Munot cars in North America was more successful than any previous generation in this region, and resulted plenty of cashflow to fund the expansion of Munot’s product line globally. One of these projects was the Levant.

The Levant was born from a couple of separate, but converging projects from earlier in the decade. The first one was born from an internal study conducted by a special group of Munot’s R&D division, attempting to identify new trends and untapped markets. They concluded that the market had become largely devoid of true spyders/roadsters, especially ones in reach of consumers (as opposed to aspirational models), and especially in North America. This led to a concept of a ~1-tonne, agile RWD/Kvadrat AWD spyder that used a simplified interior and design to keep costs down.

The second project was a lightweight, maneuverable sportscar for competing in Group S rallying, using an aluminum body and Munot’s Zweicam turbo I5. With the demise of Group S though, this line of development was frozen and eventually rolled into the roadster effort.

With the combination of the two projects, the concept grew in weight and further evolved, becoming a sportcar, a performance-oriented roadster that could compete with the sportscars in its price bracket. Sales of sportscars over the past several years, such as the explosive introduction of the Lynx or the rise of the RX-7, suggested that this was a rapidly expanding market in NA, and Munot hoped to get sportscars drivers to cross shop this concept in addition to those in the market for roadsters. Using their experience with aluminum bodies, a partial aluminum construction was used for the first time in a Munot mass production car, to keep weight at a manageable 1.2 tonnes. Munot’s long-standing turbo 2.1L I5, which in 87 had received a slight increase in stroke with the demise of Group B/Group S displacement rules, was chosen as the powerplant - now with Munot’s newly developed KRONOS VVT system, and of course the trademark Kvadrat AWD system was also built in. Finally, following the aerodynamic trend of all 4th Gen Munots, it received sharp shaping, with a drag coefficient of only 0.34 when fully equipped. This became the Levant GS Turbo - GS honoring its Group S origins - the most powerful Levant model, and back-designed from it, a range of cheaper naturally aspirated I5 models. The name Levant was picked from a competition won by Munot’s Basel office, referencing the easterly wind that typically brings good, gentle weather, along with the “exotic” Near Eastern region that is the home of civilization.

Aside from the body and aluminum-headed engine, the Levant’s cabin featured a number of innovative solutions to keep weight down - such as more expensive high-strength alloys. The interior was well furnished, giving a luxurious premium feel similar to the rest of Munot’s lineup - including the trademark “fighter cockpit” found on every 4th Gen, a reference to Munot’s factories in Emmen (the heart of Swiss aerospace). However, to keep costs down, a simpler sound system and stereo was provided, which also had the added benefit of keep the car agile and light. ABS mated to a viscous LSD - the first Munot to use one along with the Drache sedan - was included to improve driving characteristics, giving it an advantage over open diff cars, while being cheaper and slightly softer than the mechanical LSDs used on other Munot vehicles. Being a sportscar, no limiters were used either. Overall, the goal was not only to provide a car that was agile and fast, but also keep it more comfortable than your average performance-only car for everyday and long-distance driving…and promote the rest of Munot’s products.

Standard equipment on the Levant included cruise control, heated and powered ergonomic seats, tinted windows, automatic AC, and a five-speed manual. Additionally, on the GS Turbo, the Auto Information Computer, courtesy lights, and a passenger airbag was standard (all extra-cost options for other models). Optional features on all makes included an anti-theft system, a CD player, a hardtop to replace the soft-top, and the Helvetronic 4-speed automatic gearbox. All the standard colors were available for the Levant, with black being popular; for an extra cost a customer could order a white Levant with a black-painted bonnet.

This GS Turbo is a good representation of the Levant series as a whole, especially since it was the predecessor of the rest. It was supposed to outperform cars cheaper than it and out-price cars that were more expensive. Coming in at $27,700 base, the MSRP placed it firmly in the range of the Japanese import turbos, like the legendary RX-7, 300ZX, and MR2 turbo models, and also gave consumers a more accessible European option compared to Porsche among the sea of import/domestic cars. With its turbo I5 producing over 200 hp and a lack of wheelspin thanks to the Kvadrat drive, it managed to hit 100 km/h in under 6 seconds, outperforming on paper the cheaper MR2 and even the similarly priced RX-7, and keeping pace with the more expensive 300ZX, Corvette, and 944 Turbo (though the last one was admittedly more luxurious). Some cars could beat it in a straight line, like the Lynx L32 that Munot engineers respected, but they tended to be significantly more expensive - this car in particular was nearly twice the MSRP of the Levant GS Turbo - and Munot believed that their careful aerodynamics and tuning gave it agility that would be hard to beat, all while remaining fun and comfortable to drive.

Sales-wise, market research suggested a target of up to 10,000 cars (all models, with a few thousand being GS Turbos) per year in North America, and production rates could be adjusted via shift scheduling in either direction to match demand, so the company was cautiously optimistic about the fate of the Levant. The engineers believed they created a solid new, affordable addition that still honored Munot’s heritage and style. Production of this first generation Levant continued until '99, and the name/concept lives on to this day, with the GS Turbo always being a turbo I5 (though turbo I4s have taken over the rest of the line).

With the launch of the Levant in 1989, the first Munot car to be primarily marketed to North America, it was now up to the market to decide how it was received.

Gallery

Automobile Munot AG - Uniquely Swiss.™

4 Likes

This is the best design from you that I’ve seen since I’ve been on this site.

2 Likes

80’s to 90’s is where my design language is permanently hardwired. That, and I was working on the Empress shortly after I showed off the Kingsnake. I took all the design cues I loved from cars around that time, or slightly before it, and melded them into one car. Concealable headlights, luggage rack on the trunk, rear-lighting explosion, Buick’s side vents, wire-spoke hubcaps on steel rims, chrome and dark metallic paints, plus wheel skirts on the rear axle. Because I had that extra bit of time, I tossed a basic interior together and called it good.

I had a different one I was tempted to unleash, but decided to go with the older, more tame one. Both would’ve been a Rowlari, but this is the one I liked a bit more. About the only thing I wasn’t certain on was what color it should be, because Rowlari Ruby Red is, well, somewhat close to Bricksley Crimson.

Anyway, thank you for the compliment.

3 Likes

Exactly what I have always been looking for. A chinese Mercedes Stagea! :smiley:

4 Likes

By 1990, the Sandhurst Louisianno had become a more family oriented car. Availiable with sedan and wagon body styles, and in 2 trim levels - GLS and GLE. The GLS had a 2.9L I6 with 78KW, while opting for the GLE gave you the 3.1L with 85KW, and traction control… there was an option for a 3100 HO with 99KW, identified by a thin red stripe under the rear “EFI” badging. Fuel economy for the 3200lb GLE auto sedan (on optional 16" rims and HO) was 22.4 MPG, with highway-only results being a much better 35.2 MPG; anything constant under 60 mph returned over 30MPG… Both trims had a 4 speaker cassette, with the GLE having the option of a higher powered set-up. 18-19 seconds wasn’t blistering for the 1/4 Mi, the exceedingly rare 5 speed manual could shave a second from that.

The most popular colour sold in 1990 were “Not Quite White”, “Blackcurrant Metallic” and “Iron Awe”.

5 Likes

One week (and 3 hours) left for submissions. However, if the rate of submissions doesn’t slow, this will be ended prematurely by max capacity, so don’t wait till the last minute.

Edit: DON’T FORGET TO PUT A FUEL DOOR ON YOUR CAR! Seriously… so far run across 3 cars without em.

11 Likes

Cabrera Pilgrim GT

Lore

The early 80s were a good moment for Cabrera´s operations in the US. Both the Fulgor and Boreas models were selling in good numbers, not extraordinary, but enough to justify more investment for this market.

Cabrera´s lineup proved to be more popular between people who were looking for a rugged, reliable workhorse. But other brands were fighting for that market too. Subaru and AMC (Especially with the Eagle) sold in much better numbers, their success was attributed to their 4WD systems, which Cabrera didn´t have at that time.

Using the current gen Boreas (the next gen was already being developed, moving to a FWD platform) as a base, they lifted the car and fitted it with 4WD (developed with some help from a Subaru car we disassembled) and some extra mods for better offroad performance.

While the new gen Boreas was released in 1987, the Pilgrim (with the prevous gen underpinnings) would survive until 1994, when they released their first purposely-built offroad car.

9 Likes

1988 RCM Atlantic Mosport SV6

7 Likes

1992 Angus Screamer - Octane Edition

In 1987, Régal released its Rapide GT sport car in Europe. It was a very fast mid-engine sport car that was fairly successful, but not available in north america due to export laws and regulations.

Since the mid-80s merger with Régal, Angus Automobile was now focused on commercial and utility vehicles only for the north american market. However, Both Angus and Régal were not sure what to do with Octane, the performance badge used by Angus. For 1990, they decided that Octane would rebadge the Rapide GT and modify it for the US and Canada. It ended up being a complex endeavor and they realized that the market was not there for a mid/top-level mid engine car in the US.

After multiple reworks (and quite a bit of infighting), the Angus Screamer was released as Angus’ swan song. It was now a severely downtuned Rapide GT positioned more as an entry level sport car. Not satisfied by how things were developed, Octane decided to modify it and try to bring it back on the performance track.

They had their chance in 1992 - the Screamer - Octane Edition was born. Its engine was swapped out from the downtuned Régal 3.0L 6 cylinder boxer to the new Régal 3.6L, and while still downtuned for regular octane, it was outputting 250 HP now compared to the 180 HP of the base edition. The whole body was now partial aluminum as well and it sported larger alloy rims.

The automatic transmission of the Screamer was replaced by a 5-speed only manual, and the ride was lowered. Overall, it was a lighter and complete performance package, but retain the general profile of the Screamer. After some infighting, it was only released as a performance trim of the Screamer.

It would take a few years still before Octane were able to take ownership of their destiny, but everything hanged on the 1992 Angus Screamer - Octane Edition for now. Is the north american market ready for it?

OOC: Did not yet have time to update my lore post, will come in the next few days.

9 Likes

1992 Wells Apollo

Built with YOU in mind.

A PERSONAL LUXURY vehicle that is TAILORED to YOU.

An all ALUMINUM v8 will propell YOU to 60mph in 7 seconds.

All the while SURROUNDING you in the best LUXURY.

SMOOTH and subtle.

Sleek and ELEGANT.

Get your APOLLO

And the REST will FOLLOW

MSRP $44,100

9 Likes

This is just so 90s american…lovin’ it!

4 Likes

Thanks bro, I appreciate that.

1 Like

That there’s a nice T-Bird/Mark8 looking thing. Always had a soft spot for em myself

3 Likes

Thankyou!!! And me too. I’m a fan of big coupes in general, my favorite being the 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo…which I’ve owned two of them in the past…wouldn’t mind owning a third.

1 Like

1988-1992 HINODE TEMPEST

Lore

Hinode Motors Corporation is a multinational automotive manufacturer based in Kitakyushu, Japan. Founded in 1926 as a repair shop, the company eventually began to manufacture parts for other, larger companies. After the Second World War, Hinode began to produce passenger vehicles.

The first-generation Tempest began production in 1968. It was a compact executive sedan sold primarily in the Japanese market, although the car was also exported to the United States, Europe, and other Asian markets. Though the car sold decently in Europe and the United States, the Tempest was a hit in the Southeast Asian and Middle Eastern markets due to their comfort, reliability, and low service costs.

In 1988, the sixth-generation Hinode Tempest was introduced into the American market. While the Japanese market had a plethora of variations to choose from, customers in the United States had to make do with only three trims: the Grande, the GT, and the GT Turbo. The Grande was the luxury trim. It featured the best that Hinode had to offer, including a standard CD player, ABS, and traction control. The Grande came with only one engine choice: a 3.0L inline six producing 190hp driving power to the rear wheels via a 4-speed automatic. The GT meanwhile, was the sports trim. It was appointed with slightly less luxuries than the Grande but it was a comfortable place to be nevertheless, even with the lowered and stiffened suspension. The GT also came with the 190hp 3.0L inline 6 from the Grande but was available with a 5-speed manual in addition to the 4-speed automatic. The GT Turbo was just like the GT, but it came with a 2.0L turbocharged inline six producing 215hp. The only transmission available is a 5-speed manual.

In 1990, the Tempest received a facelift. The front bumper and taillights were slightly refreshed, and the climate controls were simplified. The most important change, however, was with the GT Turbo’s engine, which was replaced with a newer and larger 2.5L turbocharged inline six following complaints that the 2.0L engine which, though powerful, was not powerful enough for the American market. Power was increased dramatically to 273hp effectively bringing the Tempest to the upper echelons of the sports sedan market. In 1992 the sixth-generation Tempest was discontinued, being replaced by the seventh-generation Tempest.

Gallery
1988-1990 GT Turbo Hardtop (Japanese market)

1990-1992 Grande (USDM)

1990-1992 GT Turbo (USDM)

Copyright Hinode Motors Corporation

12 Likes

I know it’s the last round, but I had a fun idea and I wanted to actually make a brand. Presenting…

THE ARES SUTA

All the best cars are named after snakes, and the SUTA is no exception. Suta is a genus of venomous snakes endemic to Australia, with range spread all across the country. The SUTA, meanwhile, is a high-performance track toy, born of the ashes of the World Sports Car Championship. With Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA seemingly bent on the destruction of the largest threat to F1 supremacy, the team opted to seek out its independence - all 756 kilograms of it.

The car is built solely around providing the ultimate driving experience. On the inside, drivers will find a single seat with an integrated six-point harness, a hefty rollcage, a nice dash and speedometer, and… not much more. Every single element of the interior is designed to keep the driver fast or alive, or both. The driver is connected to the road by a 5-speed manual transmission, stiff pushrod suspension and wide, low-profile tyres.

The car was originally intended for Group C endurance - a big externally-sourced engine, no bumper requirements and few light requirements. The team was forced to adapt quickly, adding the mandated 5 MPH bumpers, side indicators and extra lights. The car is powered by a mid-mounted, naturally aspirated, twin-cam i4 displacing just 1.6 litres and weighing in at 95 kilos, not much more than the driver. The team at Ares has tuned it to within an inch of its life, allowing it to put out 136 horsepower - which is impressive when the car only weighs 756 kilograms. The engine has been named the Affinis, a name pulled from the scientific name of another snake. With the base model coming in under 25 thousand dollars, Ares had aimed to sell to the budget-conscious but performance-hungry, both on track and street…

5 Likes

The Ares SUTA is not being accepted as an entry. Meme body and/or exotic car, not allowed in this competition. Resubmission of a different vehicle is allowed.

3 Likes

Ah, a shame. I must’ve overlooked the exotics part, although I suppose it’s fair. Such is life. Probably won’t resubmit, although I do want to say thanks - even though it didn’t end up being legal, this challenge did inspire me to make an actual brand car. Good luck to everyone else!

6 Likes