Fleet Challenge 1: Mafia, Archana 1990 [SUBMISSIONS CLOSED; JUDGING IN PROGRESS]

Looks very menacing, especially for an early 90s car based on one of the '53 Winga Dinga body sets. And it’s a brave option, too, since the car is rear-engined. By the way, is that engine a V8 or a V6? I’d be surprised if it’s the latter.

Oh god, the time has come to create the fattest, biggest, most luxuriest japanese car in history

1 Like

It is a 4.5-liter, all-aluminium, DOHC 32 valve, V8. A V6 would have been too rough to put in this thing with adequate throttle response, and would not have enough power without forced induction, which seems very out of character for a car with eyes in the past. Boxer configurations could have worked, but don’t provide the prestige. And inline-6 or V12s would have either not fit or be so heavy that it’d make the car undrivable.

'91 WM Deus 6.0

A special order for the Big Cheese of Archanan gangs such as the Dalluhan Mafia, powered by a 400-bhp 6.0L normally aspirated V12 and fitted with a bespoke hand-made interior.

2 Likes

(Post 1/2)

Introduction

The early 1990s were turbulent times for Mara: the rather sudden and unexpected opening of global markets after the fall of the Closed Curtain exposed the lag of their - domestically adequate - tech level behind the rest of the world.

While Mara immediately initiated a crash programme for new modern car model development, a stop gap measure was to give each existing model (Zora, Irena, Kavaler and the Kanyon family) a quick facelift first in order to achieve market compliance for the newly opened up markets and sell as many additional units as possible, despite their outdated origins. Substantial exterior modifications were usually limited to new lamp clusters, mainly doing away with rounded headlights and taillights.

1991 Mara Yak 2.5 K2 & K4

The strictly utility-minded family of Kanyon SUV, Bizon ute and Yak heavy panel van was arguably among the models least affected by the changing market situation and therefore received only minor changes. These were introduced to comply with the new regulations across all markets, and a minor facelift in the form of new front and rear lamp clusters.

Due to the Kanyon’s BOF construction it was possible - though rarely ordered - to opt for the full 4x4 drivetrain and off-road kit in combination with the panel van body (K4). Most Yaks had regular RWD (K2 and the ultra-budget regular R2). And while most vans were sold in white, black was also among the choices in the colour palette.

I'd have preferred to submit the longer 2.7m wheelbase variant but it currently doesn't fit any useful engine even in a FR layout. And the XL 3.3m wheelbase option looks silly as a van…

to be continued…

4 Likes

I encourage entrants to submit multiple trims. Barring objections, I will take some liberties with colors and window tint as well.

1990 Otari 545 WXI AWD

Maybe the Archanan gangs likes a domestic Archanan car for their personel.

Gallery

4 Likes

(Post 2/2)

1991 Mara Kavaler 5.0S

Trouble in paradise…?

Another unfortunate side effect of these developments was that the newly elected Archanan government cancelled the contract for another batch of a conversion of the large Kavaler sedans into interceptor versions shortly before the conversions were completed.

The new/old Kavaler - still one of the better deals as well?

Mara therefore tried to sell these to the regular public as a Spetsial variant, on the virtue of the enlarged 5 litre V8 (slightly detuned compared to the real interceptors) and a firmer heavy duty suspension, but coupled with the more premium interior of the regular Kavalers instead of the heavy-duty and utilitarian interceptor interior.

The 70s called and want their interior back?

2 Likes
LITTORIA AUTOMOBILI
Littoria Iulia 835 Beghelli

Ivan: "No, no, no and no. We are not getting that one, get it out of your head."

Dmitri: “Boss said to get a brand new car for the general organization, and that it needs to be both fast and not draw attention, but looking expensive, da? This one is perfect.”

Ivan: “It’s a Littoria, those Fruinian cars are good only at breaking down and being in the mechanic’s shop all the time and you seriously want to get one? You must be joking, boss will get us killed.”

Dmitri: “That was, like, 20 years ago, the Sabina I got never gave me troubles since i got it. Besides, look at it! And these 835 ones I heard have the engine from Beghelli supercars. If that isn’t fast…”

Ivan: “It’s not about it being slow, it’s about it being unreliable, you idiot.”

Dmitri: “But they are reliable now! Here, look at the brochure. 271 horse power, 3 and a half liter V8 engine…hmm.”

Ivan: “I bet it sucks gas more than a Dalluan whore sucks- you get what I’m saying, but that’s…actually not that bad, now that you make me think about it. You got yourself a deal, let’s get the…Iulia 835.”

Dmitri: “Perfect-…HEY МАЛЬЧИК! WE NEED TO TEST DRIVE THIS ONE!

Here at Littoria...well...we know who buys our cars. Since 1935, when our first car was built for Il Duce himself, we focused on one thing: Luxury. But one wasn't enough, so around the 1960s, we started focusing on something else: Speed. And like in many other occasions, now we decided to combine both, and build this, the Littoria Iulia 835 Beghelli.

While it may look like a regular Iulia you may see on any Fruinian street driven by any middle management office worker, this one is special. We collaborated with Beghelli, renowned supercar manufacturer, and a street-tuned version of their 350 Corsacorta, a 3.5L Aluminum, Quad Cam V8 from their screaming supercars, found its way in the innocent Iulia, with 271 horsepower going to the rear.

But it’s not only the engine that makes this special, it’s everything that comes with it. All the optionals of the Iulia come standard: premium interior package, enthusiast-ready sound system (and yes, the Ricchi e Poveri and Adriano Celentano mixtapes come as standard), Active rear wing, that comes out at 130 km/h to maximize high-speed stability, and much more.

Adding to that, the light Littoria Motorsport division wheels found on the fastest touring cars such as the Littoria Sabina R4 Evo, active suspension and semi active damping system, advanced automatic transmission, and so much more to make sure this sedan is the cream of the crop amongst all the 90s performance sedans.

6 Likes

I’m thinking of participating, should we stay on stable or switch to open beta?

That depends. If we keep the current timeline, Stable. However, a lot of stuff fell into my life in the last 48 hours, and I need to take a break from Auto (and I still have JOC4 to write, probably), so extending the deadline would be my preference anyway, and could allow time to learn the new version.

What do yall think, especially those who’ve already submitted?

I’d suggest to push the deadline back and keep it on stable. As of now, openbeta is pretty okay but has some pretty major problems. If improvements are made in the coming week then maybe switching to openbeta would be interesting but it completely F’s cars tuning because all weight is now shifted forward about 3-7%

Second that - I don’t think it’s realistic to expect everyone who has submitted to rework their cars for Ellisbury… especially since some stat calculations have changed as well.

Lets see how fast openbeta will be fixed to a point it makes sense using it.
I think the new options add competition but it’s currently a mess as the devs warned.

I’ll stick to the current stable release for now - long story short, the OB is different enough from it that it significantly affects submissions attributes (and hence scoring).

In the meantime, here’s a WIP of my second submission: the AMS Albite V8 4.0.

If I were to submit it, I would pitch it as a general-purpose personnel transport for the various gangs of Archana and Dalluha.

1 Like
speemb
Saberin Motori
CH2 Solsti 2000 R
Okay. We get it. You're 17. This is the car that's hanging on the wall. This is the car that you keep bragging to friends you will buy. This is the car that your parents dread. It's rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive. It's a bit of a handful to control. It will keep you on your toes. It will forcibly teach you those advanced clutch techniques that your instructor says you probably never will need. It will force you...to have fun.

No, it’s not perfect. But we try. It’s got a five-speed manual, it’s got dual overhead cams. It’s got variable valve timing. It’s got variable valve lift. It’s got performance intakes. It’s got tubular headers. Apart from that laundry list of sporting features, it’s just like any other car. It will get you from A to B, and it will get 33 miles to the gallon doing so. It will seat four, and it will carry the shopping with you.

But there’s so much fun to be had in this thing. It’s rear-drive, with wide tires and responsive steering. Its suspension keeps the wheels planted, the premium cassette stereo keeps you entertained. What more do you need from a practical sports car?

Pics or it didn't happen

3 Likes

Bergmann LSS 450 DAG

Though not the newest member of the Bergmann family, and certainly due for a new generation, the 1991 LSS 450 DAG is still the ultimate midsized bruiser. Taking the knowledge attained during the Maul programme, DAG’s work results in a comfortable and supremely quick sedan. With the V8’s displacement bumped up to 4.5 litres and a new five-speed transmission, the LSS gets comfortably close to the 300 km/h mark, making it great for high-speed driving and motorway runs. For the new decade, Bergmann also introduces a traction control system, keeping all of its 305 hp in line.

FMW 660 L12

This avant-garde luxury sedan is next to none when it comes to passenger comfort and luxury. With the rare E-H-P suspension system, Digital Compact Disc playback with ten speakers, four-passenger Executive Seating package with leather and wool surfaces and all of the latest safety and driver assistance systems, this FMW 660 L12 is the ultimate machine for transporting the most important among us in utter comfort and safety. The naturally-aspirated V12 provides smooth and ample power, so as not to bother anyone inside while driving at over 320 km/h (with the optional speed-limiter removal package).

FMW 646 CR8

Also based on the FMW 600 Class, the 646 Coupé is the marque’s flagship when it comes to motorway cruisers. Implementing state-of-the-art technologies, such as adaptive dampers and electronic traction control, as well as a comfortable leather interior, it strikes the perfect balance between performance and comfort. The CR8 package removes the speed limiter, adds a limited-slip differential and removes the rear seats. For those late-night service station rest stops, the passenger seat can recline fully flat, making it the best place to spend the night.

2 Likes

Three announcements:

1. The timeliness of this challenge is currently in doubt. I can’t take on a time committment like this, at this…um, time. At the same…er, time (dammit), I’d like a few more entries. Is everyone ok with this pushed back three weeks?

2. Archana in 1990 is a harsh environment, to a degree that few who grew up in the First World have seen, and we’re dealing directly with armed criminals. Participation is at your own risk of being offended by death, destruction, and various depravity.

3. Similarly harsh will be the scrutineering, where very little will be binned but instead made to suffer the consequences of engineering and design choices, with the sole exception of the details of any forced induction setups. No rear window triangle? Windows can’t roll down. Zero cooling airflow? It’s going to overheat. Atrocious brake fade? Brakes overheat and catch the driver off-guard in one hard stop, resulting in more death, destruction, and so on.

4 Likes

I am fine with three more weeks, the interesting question in that case is OB or Stable? After all, a challenge where you are allowed to build multiple cars should also have a rather long timespan IMO.

With all the bugginess the OB has right now, I’d suggest sticking to the stable release, in addition to a three-week deadline extension.

As for my second submission, here is what it looks like now:

It’s got a 276bhp 4.0L V8 driving the rear wheels via an advanced auto gearbox - plenty for most gangsters looking to make a getaway.

1 Like