HTM 2000 - A Racing Challenge

Between JOC and CSCS there is a gap time, and in this gap would fit another interessing challenge.

Inspired by the DTM, the situation is the following:

For 2000, the Hetvesische Tourenwagen-Meisterschaft will be re-introduced after a long break. The fastest car wins, but reliability, comfort, fuel consumption and drivability will also taken into consideration, based on advantage and penalty in relation to the median value in the field. But the most successful way to win is being fast.

Model year: 1995-2000
Trim, Family, Variant year: 2000
Displacement: 4000 ccm max, V8 naturally aspirated
RPM limit: 8000
minimum weight: 1000 kg
wheelbase: 2,5-2,7m
two-door coupe shape
tires: semi-slick tires
race parts are allowed
drivetrain: 6-speed sequential RWD
suspension: Double wishbone in front and rear
Chassis: Space frame
front wheels: R18, width 235
rear wheels: R18, width 285
race interior, standard AM radio to simulate the telemetry
safety: advanced 00s
irrelevant: emissions, loudness
forbidden: ABS, TCS, ESC, any driving aids except power steering, turbochargers
suspension: No active/adaptive/active electronic stuff. Either standard or progressive in combination with gas dampers.
steering: hydraulic R&P power steering
default techpool
max cost: 80.000
max service cost: 3200 $
Fuel: 100 octane
no negative quality
Aero rules: Fixtures must be visible, max. downforce 600 kg.

Submissions are OPEN until December 18, 20:00 GMT+1). Naming convention: Trim and Family: HTM2000 - Username, model and variant free.

14 Likes

is the intention driving those cars in Beam?

No, because that wouldn´t be a 100 percent objective. Driving errors on my side would make the lap times quite odd and not really comparable.

Seems like an interesting challenge. Will there be any rules regarding max width and lenght of the body itself? And maximum downforce?

1 Like

DTM 2000 reglement says cars need to have a length of 4,3 to 4,7 meter, although I think a wheelbase limitation is sufficient. I found no rules considering the downforce. But keep in mind I would use different tracks, and a car that glues to the road in corners will fail in high-speed races.

1 Like

Are there any requirements regarding engine placement? And must the panels be made exclusively out of regular steel?

Front engine, I was Not able to find Out any closer Specs than the mentioned about the Chassis and Panel materials.

The real-life DTM2000 regs stipulated front-engined configurations, but the engines were mounted very far aft - how best to simulate this (such as by pushing the weight distribution towards the rear?)

A good point, I would need to build more in-depth test mules for a helpful answer. I will come Back to this.

what fuel?

What is the actual challenge here? Are these run around built inntrakcs in the game?

All the cars seen like they might be quite similar so is design and race livery scored at all?

100 Octane unleaded should be what the real DTM used.

Some ideas for minmax cheese preventing measures:

Other things:

• Why max weight instead of min weight?
  • Allow free choice of panels (did they really forbid carbon fibre for 2000s DTM?), esp. with the weight limit. Price will balance things out
  • Require entertainment? (they have radio, telemetry and stuff)
  • Real DTM had cats since the early 1990s…
  • Maybe max loudness as well if you want to reign in max power (race intake, cam setting etc.)
  • What tracks will the series run at?

Also, if you run in Automation, there is still some cheese to be had with super soft suspension on certain tracks and other things. Will be fixed but afaik isn’t yet. There is a dev a video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAcho4raOA (starts around 04:30)

5 Likes

'95 to '00 along with all of the other body limitations drops the available options for body types to about 4 that would practically fit in the challenge. Could we extend body types back a few years?
Also, I agree that maybe there should be a minimum weight rather than maximum weight, as the body makes a big difference in weight as well, especially with steel panels. Hard to trim weight when the panels alone take up 1/3 of the weight budget.

1 Like

I think the years refer to the Model Year value in game, not the body type unlock years. I don’t think we need the latter restricted as the all-important aero values now depend on model year (or trim year?), and stuff like the Morgan Aero 8 ran in the early 2000s not in the DTM but in some GT series.

Yeah, I took a car on the smaller end and it ended up being about 1200 after lightening with all the obvious options (no fine tuning)

Pardon my stupidity, so do all the engines have to be V8? Could be a misunderstanding because I’m from Italy, but in my country “displacement” refers the Litres or the cc/cui, so I’m assuming we can build a 3.0 V8, but not a 4.0 I6. Am I wrong?

That would be the basic interpretation of the rule as far as I can tell. Basically limited to the exact layout and capacity given.

It would be nice to choose different panelling. Another way to limit shenanigans would be to introduce ET limits. What about aero? Fuel? How will these be tested and scored?

So… From what can I see, both the Astra, the TT and the CLK, which were the only cars in the 2000 DTM, had 4.0 L V8 N/A engines, and weighted around 1070-1080 kgs(driver included). But to make things a bit more spicy, I think we could also allow minor displacements

this means a V8 with max cc 4000, so it can be 2000, 3000, 1900 etc