Journey of ownership 1 - Discount Elvis - Part 1D (finals)

Second is like the highest I’ve got in a challenge lol.

Anyway, about taking over the challenge: Due to stuff, and besides that I’m preparing AVCM (plz join AVCM lol) so I’ll pass this one. Maybe Petakabras is hosting, or if he don’t, leave it to the third place.

4 Likes

I accept the hosting duties, so expect the second part to be released soon

6 Likes

Here is a little spreadsheet where the 1, 2 and 3 star priorities can be compared.

5 Likes

Fun comp! Fair comments and observations, and perfectly done once again op.

The Kestrel will be back in some form or another as that was a fun car to build. Congrats to the winner, good fight.

1 Like

PART 1B
SOUTHAMPTON, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND
FEBRUARY OF 1992

Keith Phillips is now older, but is he wiser? At 29, he´s no longer the hot-headed teenager who bought a sports car to get more game. Actually, the game is over, since he has settled down with Amanda.
Even more, they are expecting their first son. They met in a concert of him 8 years ago, and while the performance didn´t convince her (or anyone at all, really), he did. They do share many things in common, they are both from Farnham, they both love music and their ideal number of sons is 2. While Amanda is not really into cars, she likes to have something fancy to cruise around in the weekend, and seeing Keith happy is nice too.

Despite of all these changes (he also left the band, thankfully), Keith is still the car loving, slightly quirky guy we all know. Imagine his face when the 3rd Golf was released. He didn´t like the new curvy styling, and he didn´t like at all when his wife bought one of those (even worse, IN WHITE) for moving around the city. She was right though, they needed a new car, since the SAETA was by 90s standards barely a car. They wanted to keep it, but after the announcement of the pregnancy the idea of a two seater stopped fancying them. Keith could have a second car, but it should have space for the family.

Since they moved to Southampton for work reasons, they´ve been earning a fair amount of money, since they both have decent jobs. So now they have some disposable money for a new car.

They are looking for something fun to drive, but that doesn´t become a deathtrap in the event of a crash. Also stylish, half of the fun of the SAETA was how much people looks at you while driving. She should be able to drive it too, which means sane driving dinamics (she´s a good driver, just not interested enough in cars to bother dealing with snap oversteer). Safety is important too, since the little Tommy has a whole life ahead.
But the most important, it has to be old, new cars are expensive and not as cool according to Keith. He has drawn the line at 1986, the year of the biggest treason ever comitted. Yeah Ford, shame of you for discontinuing the Capri.

SUMMARY
A young family of three (with a forth in the near future) is looking for a weekend car to have some fun and make some trips. It must seat 4 people, be a looker and be reasonably well-behaved on the road.

PRIORITIES
bild
Style - People staring at you boosts the confidence of the driver
Sportiness, driveability - A fun to drive that doesn´t scare the shit out of his driver

bild
Comfort - They want a car to cruise around, something that wont have problems dealing with potholes
Safety - " the little Tommy has a whole life ahead "
Practicality - It still has to seat 4 and fit some luggage.

bild
Fuel economy, service costs - it will be strictly a weekend car, no need to worry too much about this.
Purchase price - As long as it fits the budget… But lower is better
Reliability - As he gets older, the idea of an italian car is getting increasingly attractive

RULES

YEAR, CAR TRIM: 1980-1986
YEAR, CAR MODEL, ENGINE FAMILY, ENGINE VARIANT: Car trim year or older
NAMING CONVENTION:
Car model/trim: JOC1B-yourname / Make and model
Engine family/variant: JOC1B-yourname/ Name of engine
MAXIMUM PRICE: $22000 AMU
MAXIMUM ENGINE ET: 115
MAXIMUM TRIM ET: 95
FUEL: Unleaded premium
REALISM: Unrealistic engineering or styling might result in a bin, that includes, but is not limited to, race parts, semi slick tyres etc.

SUBMISSIONS OPEN: 14th of june, 10:00 (UTC+2).

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: 28th of june, 20:00 (UTC+2). PM me the .car-file and put an ad/description in the thread before that.

Some inspirations

16 Likes

I just want to check this isn’t the main family car but it does need to be able to transport an entire family around if needed?

So are they looking for a two-doorish car? Or are sporty 4-doors also good?

woah, my very first top five finish in a rushed car, it was fun!

Will Keith accept a 2+2 instead of a full-on four-seater, given that his soon-to-be son won’t be big enough to require a full-size rear seat for some time?

Does the Peugeot have a back seat? If this is supposed to be a weekend car for the fam to cruise in how is everyone going to fit in the Triumph? Did I misread or misinterpret something :thinking:?

Peugeot has a back seat (many small french cars are actually quite roomy on the inside for being so small on the outside), but the Triumph is a 2-seater and maybe not the best example for inspiration.

2 Likes

Thanks. I didnt know if the Peugeot was like the Renault Clio v6 in the back seat area. And the Triumph had me scratching my head.

Answering some questions:

I just want to check this isn’t the main family car but it does need to be able to transport an entire family around if needed?

Exactly (a family of 4 but 1 is almost a newborn and the other is in queue for spawning)

So are they looking for a two-doorish car? Or are sporty 4-doors also good?

No problem with 4-doors, but no bonus either

Will Keith accept a 2+2 instead of a full-on four-seater, given that his soon-to-be son won’t be big enough to require a full-size rear seat for some time?

Children are yet to be born, so yeah, they wont complain if you use +2 seats for them

Does the Peugeot have a back seat? If this is supposed to be a weekend car for the fam to cruise in how is everyone going to fit in the Triumph? Did I misread or misinterpret something :thinking:?

You are thinking about the Peugeot 205 T16, a group B, mid engined car. The one in the pic is a 205 GTI, based on the normal road car (front engine, FWD)
The Triumph is my fault though, i´ll fix it rn

3 Likes

Oh man now you’re in my personal happy zone. Anybody want to mod up a Supra MkIII body? Its perfect for this comp. Bradlee was looking into it.

1986 SAARLAND ZANDVOORT ES

Last and best year for the big Saarland coupé. 181 hp 3.0 i6, 4 speed auto, electric windows and mirrors, alloy wheels, central locking, ABS, velour, stereo. 1 owner, mint condition. If you find a better one, buy that one instead.

7 Likes

1982 Aether Ascia 1.8 Turbo Injection

The Aether Ascia was first launched in 1974 in response to the rise in popularity of sport coupes such as the Ford Capri and Opel Manta. The example shown here is a 1982 ‘MK2’, top of the range, 1.8 Turbo Injection model finished in a defining pearl white. The Turbo featured a 1800cc Inline-4 engine producing 144bhp mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

5 Likes

Wait, is this only for people who entered the first round?

I was thinking the same. But with people who won the first round.

2 Likes

Damn, I been working on a car for this for the last 4hrs…:grimacing:

No, where does it say that? It’s open to anyone who wishes to sell a car to Keith in this round.

4 Likes