Killrob's Fastest Car In The World Challenge, 4.2 Edition

The first image was in '49, now in 1950 I am turning a very slim profit. Hopefully I can survive another 10 years and build my Rambler supercar…

2 Likes

This campaign is tough the first few decades. Just finished my 1980 launch and now the money is rolling in :smiley: 1950-1970 I was going back and fourth between $10M and $25M company values (depending on loan situation I guess), had a few moments where one more bankruptcy loan would have ended company (as profit wouldn’t have covered the loan payments).

might actually be somewhat competitive with my '80 car (but I have a bad feeling the 1970 videos by Killrob and Martin will be faster than my 1980 :cry:, hopefully not their 1960 versions)

My 1970 doesn’t have turbos so that will probably get destroyed.
This is a fun playthrough regardless of the outcome

2 Likes

Don’t forget to send along the link for Ep02, the 1960s car! :slight_smile:
The episode is scheduled to go live on Wednesday 18:30 CET.
Let me know how it’s going :smiley:

I just finished my “final” 2010 model and videos but haven’t edited my 1960 yet :thinking:

Wow did I learn a lot during this challenge, and I thought I had good campaign knowledge before. Mainly how many things actually go into top speed (not just raw power/weight), specific category marketing, and setting up engineering for your specific type of company. Also how to properly sell GT/Super cars for killer profits.

Somehow ended with a company value of $1.5 billion in 2010 despite only selling 500 total cars per month and only a Small 3 + Tiny factory. Probably could hit $3 billion if I played it out.

3 Likes

Awesome to hear! Even I am learning quite a bit too xD this is a rather extreme challenge requiring thinking outside of the box.
A company valuation that high is impressive with these restrictions and pushing of the envelope :slight_smile: looking forward to seeing your videos!

More casual campain gameplay:

4 Likes

Just watched it, very nice, felt your pain on the finances but you came out of it really well, better than me for the 50s.

I might have your 1960 speed matched by 1980 :rofl:

okay just watched Killrob’s
I will take this victory:
largest gain in speed from 1950-1960
I gained 55 mph, while Killrob gained 44 mph, and Der_Bayer 18 mph

3 Likes

Well, this happened. Fastest Car in the World 2023 edition ep 2 - YouTube

Octane 8000 playthrough - 1946-1960

Welcome to Octane 8000 playthrough - we’re a small sports car builder out in Fruinia and we’re attempting to build the fastest car in the world running only on 12L-ish V12!

Company Setup

Starting Strategy

So, how do we actually start here?

We want tech pool, it is going to help us immensely.

The easy pick is 50M start - a 0M load start is not what we want, we did inherit from grandma didn’t we?

We start with no factory and 1 small plot. Nothing for engines - we’ll actually avoid an engine factory for the longest time.

That leaves us to Competition - we raised it up to 130%. We’re a bit masochist… but in retrospect, we could have probably squeezed another tech pool or two.

As for Tech, here’s the fun part:

• We need 4 in Bodywork because this allows us to unlock some models earlier, and our strategy will be relying on that. We usually will try to target building a new model around the 5th or 6th year of each era, so 4 points allows us to get ahead quite a bit.
  • We need 4 at the bottom end. Bottom end is costly compared to top end, and it helps a lot with reliability and pushing our engines to the limit, so a must have.
  • We need 2 in Fuel system to get 2 barrel carb at the start. Not essential, but it also helps to get DCOE in time later.
  • Then 6 in aerodynamic, a must have, we’ll have that Aero quality slider constantly maxed out.
  • Finally, 4 in aspiration. 6 or 7 would be ideal, but Turbo is for later, and the 1st two eras are 100% scoring, so we need to focus on the right place and we’ll need to invest a lot in the campaign to get Turbo in time… we’ll see how that goes.
  • A few miscellaneous points here and there, 2 chassis is great, 1 engine architecture as well, tires gives a small boost to get Radial in time, and drivetrain ends up being pretty costly for our very fast cars.

So there it is, 20x on the dot. We did not touch Engineering Time as we are not masochists. Market volatility was probably set at extreme, I do not remember, but most likely.

So, here we come!!!

Road to 1950 - Slingshot

Yeah, not styled and the engine is poking through the hood, can’t go back to it so there it is in all its glory

Let's build right away our fastest engine and car

So this is the big step - how to get the best possible engine and car for 1950? We only have so many years…

We’ll build a car and engine, but will only start the engine as a prototype - this way we can keep the costs down A LOT.

The car will be a no brainer, most runs seems to start with this one - it’s not the time to be fancy here.

As for the engine, we’ll standardize on 12L V12 - We won’t stay strictly at 12L all the way though, but we’ll only rebuild a new family when we need to change the block or header, and we’ll limit ourselves to only increase capacity slightly.

For now it looks like a high revving beast! And, we’re called Octane 8000 because… all our record engines will be revving above 8000 rpm!!!

So, why not maxing out the engine and stroke like other playthroughs? First, weight is important here, even if it’s not always about being lightest (because you need traction), but the second attribute is that it allows to improves reliability, so we can push things further. Also high revving engine is optimal for this kind of challenge because the gearing allows us to stay in the optimal peak RPM range on a straight line, even if you barely have any low or mid-range performance.

So let’s go with peak values! We used 98 RON here because Avgas in Dalluha won’t be unlocked in time.

So, a small surprise above - we’re gonna build a Inline 6 consumer-based engine right away, we believe we can do that and release them at the same time as the record breaking car, let’s gamble this! We won’t start the cars(!!) just yet, but 25+20 = 45, and we have 48 months ahead, so we have a bit of buffer to start selling our record breaking car.

Let’s launch those prototype projects right away. A cool 2M for both, but as you see, the big V12 engine prototype is under 100k… This is a strategy we’ll try to use often.

Oh, you are asking why I6 and not V12 to keep familiarity? Less R&D time, cheaper to make, I love I6 and it seems like a good engine base. I sized it to 3L and that should stay with us until Turbo, and then we can turbo it, so hopefully it lasts us a long long time without rebuilding a new one.

And now we wai... oh no, we still need to set things up

Oops… I realized that I left a test of a 6.8L consumer V12 in there, it won’t be produced, and probably added a bit of engineering time, oh well.

Now we need to setup marketing in Fruinia only for now, and R&D.

Well, R&D was easy - let’s not put anything yet in there, we have a lot of tech pool.

For Marketing, we are focusing on the Light Sport, Sport, Supercar and Hypercar market. Plus it is the fastest car challenge, so let’s invest in top speed, acceleration an cornering, put a bit in prestige, sport and company prestige. Only in Fruinia tho - Hetvesia is not really useful to us for now.

Since my goal is to survive and put out the fastest car each era, I will not heavily invest in marketing, at least at the start. It gets costly fast, especially outside Fruinia.

So…

Now we really wait...

until the end of our engine prototype, 25 short months. Still heavily in the green. But no revenue yet.

Time to build the record car and consumer cars for the 50s. First Era is the Slingshot. You might end up finding a naming convention there… it is projectile weapon or the projectile itself. Super original, I know.

So no details on the car here, but here are the important parts:

• Alu/Space Frame chassis here is, well, mandatory to be built in a tiny factory, and I do not see a need to move on to another type anytime soon. Mac/STA setup because we do not need huge suspension to be fast, and the Mac front gives more space for a Front engine, so let’s be cheap here.
  • +15 Body Quality for that sweet Cd improvement.
  • 4-speed manual, gearing set to optimize the speed, one of the main tweaking point.
  • The biggest possible… cross ply of the era on the body, +4 quality helped unlock a few sizes, 185/90C14 square.
  • Max brake and pad sizes… not to hep breaking, but add a bit of weight
  • Offroad skidray, no airflow, +15 quality, and the least amount of rear spoiler angle to get traction. Another place of heavy tweaking to achieve max speed.
  • Sport/Luxury AM radio - needed for my consumer cars and get the slightest hint of comfort (and weight).
  • Standard 40 safety (that will last us a long time), and all weight at the back (thanks FR) but 100 weight optimization. After some time, since I had extra weight from other places, it was actually the best option here I found. Later this will change as the engine gets more power, but my engine right now is less powerful than the other playthroughs so it needs the extra weight off for a better power ratio.
  • Boring suspension to get as much g cornering as possible.

Yeah, we think this will work well.

As for the consumer, just built a 2.3L I6 Sport car that also sells as a L.Sport and L.Sport Premium. Not the best, but should be enough to survive. One trim only since it can be sold in a few markets and will be more efficient for the tiny factory.

So let’s build this Slingshot Record Breaker car (and the Sport consumer car)… but wait, do not forget to make a new engine variant since the last one was a prototype, same for consumer. So already a few thousands for the V12 but 3M invested in the I6, let’s try to keep that one a long time.

One thing you might see above, there is a nice 5M of factory cost for the car… We’re also building ANOTHER factory, a tiny one, for the speed record prototypes, and we’ll be using 2 contract factories for the engines. I’ve split both car factories because I want to be able to do facelifts and build the next gen record breaker in parallel. We’ll use the original tiny factory on small plot to upgrade later.

8.5M, no loans, we can do it. In fact, we will avoid any loans for the longest time. It will have to wait until the 70s actually.

And then we fast forward to October 1949. We have 3 months to sell a record breaking car now. 40M left in the bank. This is looking good.

Now, are we going to succeed…?

The end of an era!

And we DID IT! We sold one. On no wait, we sold… well just one, after 2 month, but that is enough for us. The Slingshot Record Breaker is now our record breaking car!

We did sell a lot of the Slingshot Sport, but since we were still paying the factory and had many preorders, we’ll see the profit in January 1950. For now, let just move forward…

No wait, let’s build a facelift right away. That might be a costly move but… yeah, in hindsight a bit too early for it, but hey, I was learning. I wanted to max profit, but spent extra for that. At least it is just 205k and 10 months.

We’ve set it up as max profit - Not a lot of learning (usually between 100 to 50 pressure), 5 to 15 automation (still mostly hand made cars at Octane 8000), 0 reliability (sports cars do not need it…) and a cheap as possible, but with the best process possible, we want to bring the material cost down. This will be a similar setup throughout the playthrough - I do not plan to attempt mass production. Might change later.

So let’s look at the end of the era.

We have 40M left, we are selling a bit of cars, no making a huge profit, but we sold 2 record breaking car, we’ve stop production now as well. We did not do a facelift of the record breaker, but later we will. Right now it is not very profitable.

So let’s go to the museum and see how the Slingshot Record Breaker did…

459 km/h!!! Well, color me surprised. I do have the power of hindsight and experience as I watched both Killrob and Der Bayer videos before starting this run, but it seems that there is replacement for displacement indeed - a lighter car :wink:

Well, lots of things to do, but this will be for the next era!

Road to 1960 - Javelin

The bay is starting to feel small for the 12L, the engine needs a bit of extra cooling…

Winter breeze and setting up the 1960 record

So, we did beat Der Bayer by 1 km/h with a smaller engine (12L vs 16L). Can we do even better this era? We surmise we can.

So, first thing first, increase marketing in Dalluha, we just unlocked it. We can also use Avgas in our Record Breaker from now on!!! Exciting.

This time, we’ll keep the same engine, but upgrade it further. However, looking at the tech unlock, let’s wait 2 years - we’ll have heavy forged bottom end components unlocked and DCOE. Remember that 2 investment in Fuel System? Well we can unlock DCOE in 12/1951, so let’s wait…

We do a bit of profit here, not a lot. We survived with 41.3M in the bank and we are ready to design the new engine.

Here is the new version, prototype again, that will also get an upgrade later before being put in a car. We moved to 1486hp @ 8900 rpm. We’re nearly over 9000 (insert meme here). So, reusing the same engine should be cheap right?

We also upped a few quality (+10 bottom end, +15 top end), upgraded bottom end components and changed to DCOE 6 carb setup. Ouch! So, to keep it cheap and ready in 4 years (1956… funny, I remember we said we wanted to start the car on the 6th year of the era), we won’t be learning much here, but at least it only costs 2.6M to prototype. Again, no processes, tooling or anything. Pure R&D.

Standard operating procedure here, nothing to see. We do not have a body unlocked and ready (1956…) so we cannot estimate how long we will have, but we should be ok with a 4 year period. No loan still here.

1954 status report

Well, let’s stop in 1954 and check out status.

Well, we’re making a profit around 100k a month (but with heavy market fluctuation, it moves around a lot. Even with 130% competitiveness, the Sport V2 is at respectable 71% desirability, generating a healthy profit for our dealerships.

And well, that is pretty much it. So let’s just jump ahead 2 years in the future…

And the prototype is ready. New bodies have been unlocked as well. Still profit. Now would be a great time to do a new consumer car facelift… but we got off track and forgot. Oh well.

Next gen record breaker

So, ready for the 1960 record? It will be called Javelin. So how about the engine? In 4 years, we can also upgrade it. Do not forget Avgas!

Here is the body we’re gonna use.

sorry about the grayed out image, I went back to the museum, forgot to take a screenshot…

'60 body at 2.3m… the bay actually fits the 12L, surprise! (no no, I did not plan that ahead of time…)

Again, tiny cars and smaller engine works best… if we can find enough traction. And the advantage here? The wheels can be MASSIVE!

And we can use Radials now, semi-clad and clutched LSD (for extra traction). I barely needed any rear wing angle (at 25).

So, how is the engine built to complement this small dragster? Here’s a small glimpse - we max every components, all racing, to the fullest and make sure we have >5 reliability. Takes a lot of tweaking. Fuel map, compression… it becomes a dance between tabs.

So, nice upgrade VS the prototype. Every year the reliability gets better so we can push the engine further and further.

The Javelin body is roomy and the 4th gen of the 12L is gonna bring in the record, we hope. 46 weeks gives us 3 weeks again to actually sell it. A cool 10M project, we have 43.6M in the bank, so we are good! No loan again.

So we’re on time for 1960!

I feel we are forgetting something… oh yeah, Slingshot facelift! Let’s do this. Cheap, 3.25M, 20 month, we’ve improve Process and Tooling in there to get cheaper and more profitable cars… we still forgot to diversify tho, and still only using 1 trim in a Tiny factory. This will change next era…

End of an era

This is the end. Quick 1959 report.

We’re close. 30M left in the back, in the black, no loans yet. The last 3 years were… costly tho. We’ll need to make more profit next era. If you look at the expenses, you can see an increased in the … R&D investment. We’ve bump Aspiration to +6, this costs a lot tho, nearly 200k (actually 400k but I believe we lower some small invested we added a while back), but we cover the cost with the new facelift. Still running a profit.

So let’s see if we can sell anything…

And we did, in November we sold 7 Javelin Record Breaker! No profit to be made there tho. We actually ended up selling 26… but that was because I forgot to disable production, so we lost nearly 1M to sell those, oops!

And this is it for the era.

… the speed you say? Oh yeah, well, we did improve our time.

… by A LOT!

515 km/h for the Javelin, the fastest recorded car in January 1960! Again, lighter engine and car here. I could not read the weight of Killrob’s car, but Der Bayer was a good 300kg heavier and 100 hp more powerful. Up to now, I was able to use a lighter car and lighter engine because I could get the traction for it. Next era I need to find another way to get enough traction, because I will have significantly more horsepower at my disposal…

Until then, the Javelin needs to be towed, it broke down at the finish line, a shame for those 26 owners…

Current Standing in 1960

Score Summary

_1960Total

Well… that looks good doesn’t it? We’re already faster than a Chiron Super Sport in 1960!!

:champagne:

I hope you enjoyed this playthrough summary, I won’t be doing videos (:cry:) but will post results like that every era from now on on Wednesdays. Hope this is not too spam-ish. As I said, I had the advantage of foresight for the 1950 record (the 1st Killrob and Der Bayer videos).

3 Likes

Looks like you found a very nice body for the 2nd car! I didn’t even look at the one you have chosen, as it seemed to be too small for a large engine. Low frontal area is key, well done! I’m looking forward to see how you will do financially and if you can afford the R&D for early turbo access!

Edit: wow, I just saw that you are not paying too much for +6 aspiration, it is actually affordable!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s gonna be interesting… well, I already know how it went, but I can say right away that I “cheated” since I realized I used a mod body (I know there were no rule against that but still…), but hey, nobody’s perfect. My 1980 record car is… an interesting choice as well. 70-80 was a rough era for the V12 and the car.

As for Aspiration, well I started at 4 tech, bumping to 6 is 480k (not cheap, but reasonable), the 7th one (which I will need), is 1.12M tho… and I actually needed to bump it further, but that is all for the next era. It was only about a 200K net increase because I reduced other investments - unfortunately I did not take note of the changes I made back then. Will try to at least get a shot of my Marketing and R&D every era now.

I would not say it was cheap - if I could do it again, I might want to put +7 at the start like you, but again, I was able to max my first 2 eras at x1.00 score. We’ll see if I fall behind or not. Turbos are my bane.

Really well done! Great execution on the design :slight_smile: I too like the choice of car. You are mistaken about the lightness of the car though, that’s not how physics work xD It is all about the frontal area as Martin points out. Weight is pretty much irrelevant as long as you have enough grip and don’t overburden the tires. To achieve a certain speed:
Speed = min(power, grip) vs (rolling resistance + drag)

Lighter car but same size = less grip and slightly less rolling resistance for the same drag
Heavier car but same size = slightly more rolling resistance and more grip for the same drag

You performed well with your second car not because it is lighter, but because of its frontal area being significantly smaller. In fact, I would like to see if you could get even more out of it by pulling weight optimization to heavy and using less wing angle vs. not doing that. :smiley:

Cheers!

2 Likes

This was one of the biggest learning experiences I gained from this challenge. Yes the power to weight ratio is important but when you get to these crazy numbers sometimes power or weight don’t matter anymore. In late game you could add 150 horsepower and not see any improvement in speed, in fact it may go slower! I could adjust the weight slider by 20-25 clicks to get 2 mph more but then figured out changing one little thing about the tires would have the same impact for much less cost/engineering time and make the weight slider irrelevant.

I can’t wait to see the final builds, I hit a wall on my top speed and have a feeling it will not be the top one as my knowledge is not nearly as great as Killrob and Martin’s (physics or game wise). You guys will be hitting my power numbers by 1980, and the model I have for my final has pretty narrow max tire width but I stuck with it (I am more than happy with the numbers I got, would leave the Chiron in a cloud of smoke).

3 Likes

I stand corrected! It is still useful to make it lighter when you have minimized drag and rolling resistance to the max and still have plenty of grip tho, but yeah… knowing that, I could probably have done even better. I also picked up a few error/less optimized setup. I was stuck in the 80s battling all of this… but the above was incredibly useful to get me over the hump. Now I am battling gearing, rpm and maxing the capabilities of the transmission.

I quickly revisited the Javelin, but even with the above knowledge I could not improve my time that much, gained at most 1-2 km/h, but had to reduce rolling resistance AND add drag to get there actually.

So, a great learning experience. At least this helped me tons for the 80s!

1 Like

The 1970s videos are now out! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s time for boost!

7 Likes

Look at what the cat just drug in. Fastest Car in the World 2023 edition ep 3 - YouTube

1 Like

Octane 8000 playthrough - 1960-1970

Welcome to Octane 8000 playthrough - we’re a small sports car builder out in Fruinia and we’re attempting to build the fastest car in the world running only on 12L-ish V12!

Previous Rounds

The strategy recap
  • Only use a V12, around 12L-ish, for the whole challenge and limit the amount of family created
  • Unlock Turbo for the 70s car (we’ll see later if it worked)
  • Focus on keeping enough money coming in with a set of sporty consumer cars and a facelift, but not expanding production
  • Break even and invest into as much R&D as possible, marketing enough to still keep selling cars
  • Keep using contract factories as long as possible
  • Make money on car margins
  • Build the fastest car in the world!
What we achieved
  • Built a 459 km/h car for the 50s, the Slingshot
  • Built a 515 km/h car for the 60s, the Javelin
  • Have 2 Tiny car factories (one on a small plot), one consumer, one prototype. Only contract engine factories yet.
  • 37.6M valuation with 1.45M revenue and 1.54 expense in January 1960

Road to 1970 - Arrow

Hmmm, there is something special about this car…

Let's start by making some money

So, we’re in January 1960, ready and eager. What’s the outlook?

Selling the Javelin was a bit of a money pit, so let’s remedy that with new consumer cars based on the Javelin. Well, still 1 car right now, a Supercar, the Javelin Super Sport with the upgraded I6 we had.

Pre-orders are looking good, nothing special about it. However we seem to be in a money pit right now, why are we losing so much money? Let’s find out…

Then focus on the next record breaker... and mistakes

We’re losing money because of R&D

If we are to unlock Turbo in time, and you see the huge gap, we need 7 Tech in Aspiration - this means it unlocks in 1968. This gives only 2 years to make a turbo car. So this is 480k down the drain in tech. I removed any other investment.

This also tells us that we need MOAR money coming in. Much more. The +7 is about 1.12M investment, which is a ton.

This is where it would have been very boring in a video. I redid the 60s about 3 times. So, let’s just focus on what actually worked. And it retrospect it really should have been easier…

So, we gambled something here. We decided to use a mod body. Our engine is pretty big, and it needed to fit. At no point it came to me to reuse the previous car for this… in fact, it was the right call, I went back to it and the car was too small and had too little traction for a huge turbo.

But then we lost hope because our pretty large V12 is, well, pretty big, no interesting body could ever accept it… oh, wait! There is this car over here, a certain italian looking car…

So, we’re going with a front engine again right? Well… we found out that its engine bay with a mid longi engine was… HUGE.

Ok, this is officially cheating, the body is very OP here. Still, I have no familiarity in mid engines, so this won’t be cheap.

Also, it is a 1970 unlock, and with my +4 in bodies, this means I can only start a prototype in 1956, but then I need a new engine in 1958, so we’re stuck in having to build a car in 2 years top.

Quite a challenge…

If we would have been sane, keeping the old model would have worked, but it would not have been as fast, so… let’s gamble that we can build a record breaking car in 2 years.

And the award for the most useless engine is...

Since this challenge was not enough, we decided to build a new family of engine with a Alu head!!

Good right?

Well, we scrapped that idea. First, in retrospect from a 2010 perspective, engine weight is not a issue at all, so we could have kept iron/iron all the time. The Alu head does provide a bit more oomph tho. Still, here we will try to invest all our money into unlocking Turbo and NOT make a new engine. We’ll wait until 1968 and upgrade out current engine to a Turbo one.

We made some more consumer trims for more money but have nothing to show for it

In around 1962, we did a facelift of the Javelin and actually introduced 3 trims - Super Sport, Sport and Light Sport. We need the money. All using different variant of the Inline 6 engine. When Hypercar will unlock we will also do a 4th trim and will keep those trim levels until 2010.

We make good money now, nearly tripling revenues, but only have +25K per month to show for it. Oh yeah, we added another +1 to Aspiration tech. This is getting costly and is our biggest expense right now. But wait, we’ll do something even crazier…

Let's make the Arrow prototype

So… what do we need for a record breaking car? +15 in body quality, +15 in aero.

This is a lot. We realized we could not make a new car, especially because it is mid engine now, under 2 years. 3 years was doable.

So, starting in December 1965, this brings us to December 1968… Didn’t we rush Aspiration to +7 to be able to start in early 1968? Yeah… that was a fail. All that money gone for nothing. About 800k/month for 6 years, that is 57M we could have had in the bank by now, or on other more worthwhile investments.

So, we’re December 1968, here is the status.

We are cutting it close. Do not mind the V12 Alu, this is the project we will start next era that I prepped in advance. This is our next record breaker

We are able to squeeze both the engine AND the car in 12 month, thanks to the 3 year prototype we did. The engine is exactly the same as previous era, but with a big turbo on it. 24 PSI big Quad-Turbo 12L V12. Mamma!!

It could have been even more powerful, but we could not upgrade any other component or improve quality with the 12 month constraint. So +0 Turbo and tuning only… We hope it is enough.

The end of an era

Now we are only hoping for a sale with 3 pre-orders… we have EXACTLY 1 month to do it…

And… well, we brough the price down by -50% margins and sold…

12 record breaking car, at a big loss. Could not take a chance here.

With all that fun trying to fit a turbo, how did we do?? Well…

We nearly broke 600 km/h, but were short by 1. We could have went about the era differently, and maybe do better with better prep, but in any case, we did make the fastest car in the world!

Current Standing in 1970

Score Summary

Looks like the 1000 point mark might be doable. We’re not even halfway through…

I hope you enjoyed this playthrough summary, I won’t be doing videos (:cry:) but will post results like that every era Wednesdays-ish.

6 Likes

Follow along as we compete in building the fastest car in the world, while keeping the company out of bankruptcy. In this episode, we get to go a little faster, and think about how to go even faster still.

4 Likes

Octane 8000 playthrough - 1970-1980

Previous Rounds

The strategy recap
  • Only use a V12, around 12L-ish, for the whole challenge and limit the amount of family created
  • Unlock Turbo for the 70s car (we’ll see later if it worked)
  • Focus on keeping enough money coming in with a set of sporty consumer cars and a facelift, but not expanding production
  • Break even and invest into as much R&D as possible, marketing enough to still keep selling cars
  • Keep using contract factories as long as possible
  • Make money on car margins
  • Build the fastest car in the world!
What we achieved
  • Built a 459 km/h car for the 50s, the Slingshot
  • Built a 515 km/h car for the 60s, the Javelin
  • Built a 599 km/h car for the 70s, the mid-engine quad turbo V12 Arrow
  • Have 2 Tiny car factories (one on a small plot), one consumer, one prototype. Only contract engine factories yet.
  • 32.2M valuation with 2.94M revenue and 3.06M expense in January 1960

Road to 1980 - Bolt

And we’re back to a front mounted engine!

Consumer Arrows? Don't mind if I do!

January 1970. We are a bit below last era’s valuation and overall lost money, all in the attempt of putting a Turbo in our reasonably priced record breaking car.

Time to facelift the Arrow into 4 trims now. These trim levels will remain until the end of the game, how original. Still planning a good profit in 5 years now.

Obviously all 4 are sports cars, with different levels of the inline 6 and quality levels. Let’s hope they sell!

Now… this costs 20M. I still have a bit of revenue, I could lower aspiration tech a bit, but it is quite tight. Time for out first loan of the run!!

Let’s hope it is worth it…

The Bolt record breaker

Well, good news… we went from about 3M in revenue to 7.26M with our consumer cars!!!

We have different trim levels, but due to the margin we are selling them at… 90% of our sales is still in the Supercar market because they can afford it, and a few hypercar sales. Oh well, we do not plan to have huge factories so margins will have to do.

Since we make so much money, let’s up our R&D budget to 3.20M!!

If you are observant, we already our new record car and engine prototype underway.

This time I did not use a late unlock model that paints me in a corner… because my engine is pretty big and does not fit in a lot of cars :frowning:

This is the car I will use… which is a very sporty… Peugeot. Oh boy. Well, let’s make it work then.

The new engine is gonna be Iron/Alu. Not for weight, but because first we need new architecture and start putting + quality in the family, but the Alu head adds much power potential here. So let’s do it. We’ll turbo it of course!!

I know it says 12L again… but in actuality, the family is 13L, I just forgot to change the variant name :frowning: Max bore as usual (until much later at least…). Yeah, this is the one we started designing but did not execute on in the end last era.

We’ll see a bit more detail later, but the engine does have a bigger turbo! As for the trim… well, nothing much, still MacP/STA Alu Space Frame base model because familiarity and it does not help much with the record. Max quality where it counts. Still RWD, so we do need Aero here, a real big wing at the rear.

Record Breaker already sold!

Let’s fast forward. In 78 the record breaker is ready… and sold 9 units! But this is not the one we want.

We want more. MOAR!

So let’s do a quick facelift, we have about a year to do it. Since we started the project early, the nearly 8 year gap in tech can be recovered. Obviously, with such a short time, we cannot change much, but still, this is what it looks like…

Nearly 4000hp with a redline at 9000.

This is where I could potentially slow down vs the competition. I was at max gearing because the RPM was low for the power it now has. This means that the car actually tops out probably a bit lower that it could have gone. Not as bad as next era, but if I had realized the RPM limitation earlier…

For now this will have to do. This is where Octane 8000 slows down, we won’t be exponentially increasing out speed for sure…

The end of an era

We were also able to squeeze in a new quick facelift for out consumer cars, which rakes in more profit. We are still paying out our loan tho. We are neglecting marketing tho, we just forgot…

And now our final V2 prototype is ready for the flats! And we were able to even sell 10 of them!

So, now, we only have to wait until 1/1980 and check out speed… In the meantime, let’s look at our R&D situation.

Nothing too costly, we might need to push things a bit more now…

Oh, the speed? Well, this is what the Bolt achieved.

626km/h. Just a 4.5% increase. Going back to it, looks like I could have gone faster with all the newfound knowledge later. Still, not too bad, but we just got a small increase in speed this time…

I hope the competition does better here and can reach even faster speeds!

Current Standing in 1970

Score Summary

Still on track for 1000 point mark, hopefully, but we’re slowing down. Will next era be more of the same? We’ll see…

I hope you enjoyed this playthrough summary, I won’t be doing videos but will post results like that every era Wednesdays-ish.

6 Likes