Mille Monti 1953 [PROCESSING]

Don’t focus on the numbers so much, start a car from scratch and go from there. Build a car very quickly by selecting components and not tuning, then when you get to the suspension tab, check your current costs and specs. Use the money to lower weight, and get your reliability, driveability, and comfort high. Afterwards, tune the engine, suspension and gearing. Then after all that is done, start fine tuning, though by the fine tuning point, you’ll drop only minutes from your time.

My first 2000cc car was a 630kg 160hp car with a high revving i6. I tuned it from running a 12:00 to a 11:37 then I hit a wall. I spent 5h on the car and nothing. I then decided to start from scratch a completely different way of thinking, still i6 but different specs and tuning, different chassis tuning etc. It is now at 700kg and 140hp, but it ran a 11:06 after only two iterations, so under 1h. Try and experiment a lot !

For 850cc, I designed i3, i4, boxer 4 cars either in MR RR FR FF. I tried them all. You get ideas and get a better understanding of the game the more you experiment, trying to stay within a box is not good for this game. One final tip: try to reduce oversteer as much as possible, one quick way of doing so would be putting smaller tyres front and messing with suspension. Good luck

4 Likes

Ive gone through 20 prototypes of different classes from 1100 to 2000+ different engines types and configurations but all ran painfully mediocre. I guess the problem is idk what to change to improve on the cars. Its currently changing a bit here run the test change a bit there run the test. Squeezing only milliseconds for hours irl.

Change this up. Run test. Get worse time. Change it down. Run test. Got .15 second faster.
Change it further down expecting more gains. Gets even worse time than original. *confused laughter *

1 Like

Add me on discord, Vlad0494, I’ll give you some more specifics tips / teach you things if you still struggle with it over the weekend if I have time

3 Likes

Requesting clarification: Engine capacity is based specifically on engine variant capacity, correct?

2 Likes

Yes, family capacity does not matter.

1 Like

How does one get any Comfort with a Race interior and a suspension tuning aimed squarely at racing? :man_shrugging:

You need to make compromises :smiley:
I run with pretty comfy Standard/Premium interior, driveable springs and semi soft dampers.

Race interior is not the way to go, as for suspension tuning aiming for comfort shouldn’t hurt times if done well

Doesn’t that kinda defeat the point of having touring and sport classes? :thinking:

I’d recommend softening the suspension anyway, I could be wrong but I think the race suspension rating is biased towards more modern circuit cars. Even formula cars in the 50s didn’t run hyper stiff suspension since the quality of road circuits and tracks wasn’t as high back then, and without aero to compress the load stiff suspension can cause a lot of instability. I think sportiness even went up for me alongside higher body roll, but I could be misremembering.

1 Like

4 Likes

Sub 13 hour mark achieved!
For Veloce as first time contender the goal has been accomplished. This means final preparations and registration :blush:

result

5 Likes

So I may have stumbled across some weird bug/inconsistency with the track timings.

I got my car to a solid point and decided to make a clone (family, trim, engine family and trim) so I had a fall back point in case any changes I made messed it up too bad. I ran the cloned car just to verify the times I had were the same and found that the cloned car was slightly faster than the original.

I ran the cloned car again and it was faster again by about 0.04 seconds. I went back to the original car and ran it again just to make sure and got the original time that I had. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

2 Likes

First post here, but I had a lot of fun with this challenge! I decided to go with a 1300CC touring car. The end result is a 1299 DOHC I4 put into this little Italian chassis. Making the Pioveva Sporzera a nimble and fun car to drive. It redlines at a respectable 6400 RPM and makes 71.5 HP at 6000. The vibration of the engine seem to be worsened by the hard suspension, rattling your bones and clocking in at a miserable 7 comfort. But who cares if you look cool right?

Suffice to say, it’s not going to come in first to any town, but it might do okay in class.

17 Likes

It’s elegant, beautifully simple, I love it!

2 Likes

Not too bad for something I got out of a campaign run and modified to fit the 1300cc sports rules

2 Likes

damn. OFC I brake into elevens the day after submission. Going more for mid level torque (which coincidentally also improves reliability swapping to friendlier headers and intake) following Vlads suggestion. Also went for ladder + wishbone instead of space frame + mcphers even saving some cost and improving my corner Gs. The cars a death trap however, why no safety requirements?

PR 1

1 Like

There are baked in the desirability score, I think it is around 12 or something safety for that era, if you fail it it will tell you and tank your score.

3 Likes

Making a car with no safety also worsens the drivability. In terms of chassis and suspension schemes it depends also on the type of car chosen, since I’m getting betters stats and times with space-frame and double wishbone.
BTW braking the 12h wall is pretty hard with my S2.0. That means 5s for every leg on a 1:30 scale track, which is pretty massive…

oh I see, got 140ish percent in track P and 90 in L sports P without reaching safety standard, Not in regular or budget however. I guess that’s why the premiums where omitted.