Mille Monti 1953 [PROCESSING]

Are you running 165 front tyres? I had to reduce the front tyres to 160 to get at least ‘some’ driveability (40). I only gained a couple minutes, but dropping the turning ability further dramatically raised the stage times for me, which wasn’t worth the improvement in driveability penalty.
Maybe the time can be gained with 165s on the front and retuning everything

nope, 165s all round since it’s cheaper, and I don’t really have any oversteer issues with my suspension setup.

Reducing front grip will make you take longer to brake, weight balance and suspension setup will take a better change than narrowing the front tyre

I think front wheel drive and undersquare engines are the meta unless you’re running really powerful stuff in the 2000+ category. I shaved another 10 minutes off my 1300S time by converting to FWD and sacrificing even more power for low end torque. There must be enough potential left in 1300cc cars to push them past the 10h barrier (that is, unless some madlad’s already done it)

Frunia, 1950

The hobby race driver and engineer Vincenzo Cavaliere and the chocolate tycoon Beppo Nobile cross their paths at a mountain rallye. Both get drunk together with red wine, and agree to build a car suiting them, as they have a similar idea of the perfect sports cars.

For the Mille Monti 1953, the car was done. A 2 liter inline six, hyper modern with dual overhead camshafts and 32 valves. Light, nimble, and high revving for the time. But there was one problem: When doing a test drive over the Mille Monti distance, the car was slow.

MAMMA MIA! Vincenzo! Thisse maccina is a piece of junke when it comes to speede on this track!

You wantte to insult me? Cazzo! But si, the car is slowe, compared to the competizione.

There was one solution: Vincenzo Cavaliere was recently at a racing event in Hetvesia, and the East Hetvesian construction office VEB EMW came up with a surprisingly competetive car. A telegram later, a delegation from Eberswalde appeared in Frunia.

Buongiorno Klaus, thisse care is called the turbina di Terso, very much emozione, but it is notte competetive. You are our last hope, Signore!

Sänk ju! Oll raight. Wi are äxpirienced änd will fix tiss for ju. No problem.

The success was hard earned. Not only did the VEB EMW drop the engine and replace it with a totally different one, it also overworked the suspension. The Cavaliere Nobile Super 2000 is therefore a very interessing machine, Italian passion and East German Efficiency and Precision.

Design and initial engineering: @Happyhungryhippo
Race-tuning and engine: @HermannMatern , thanks for the great support!

18 Likes

keep an eye on your reliability with undersquare engines, you may be losing time there. my 1300 test mule is well into the 10s, though still 9 seconds slower than I’ve achieved with <2000

I overlooked this point and I’m very excited about this! Are you planning on releasing this app for the community to play with?

We can use mods to build our interior, correct?

3 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Are you competing in the S2000+ by any chance?

1 Like

I have that bit pretty much sorted out; lots of balancing mass and bottom end quality. My biggest issue is no high end power. Think I’ll just have to rework the entire engine at some point. Would you mind terribly if I asked you your raw horsepower figure and perhaps your weight? I’m lost as to what direction I should take this further, and you can be assured that I’m still far behind you on the other side of the 11h mark :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mess Typ 11. Simple, cheap, functional.
But with the 1300MM, all of this is thrown out the window in favour of speed. And there’s quite a bit of that.

According to our results in the testing facility (a parking lot with a few obstacles), the car should do quite well in the upcoming Mille Monti, somewhere in the low 11 hour range.

Good luck to everyone, and have fun!

8 Likes

Dear god, there’s a lot of camber in there: possibly around the -2 or -3 mark?

Yup. Got extra cornering G and drivability out of that

I am yes, 2000+ sports

1 Like

Submitted. Got her below 13 hours and that’s all I am capable off. Maybe she’ll win the Corso d’Eleganza though :blush:

17 Likes

A little sneak peak of what I have been cooking up for the 850cc Sports class…

16 Likes

Oh thank god. Id give up the speed goals and just go for design if u were >2000

TGR Industries
1950 Ulanzi
Born for the 1953 Mille Monti 1100CC Sport Class, TGR Industries' entry of the Ulanzi is their demonstration of thematic styling and engineering practicality.
Built to MMC1953 standards, The Ulanzi is a ladder framed, aluminum paneled front engined car. Independent suspension on all wheels, powered by a DOHC I4, on a 4-speed manual gearbox. It is unlikely to be fastest in it's class. TGR Industries sacrificed reliability in many aspects to get a lightweight, powerful car. However, the development team was restricted to keep the car profitable.
Photos
15 Likes

I made three cars so far and can't decide on which one to pick. left to right an I4 850cc a V8 2000cc and last but not least an I6 1661cc.
5 Likes