Not-So-Hot Hatches Thread

1994 Sampo Kamu (lit. Sampo Buddy) - Here in ‘Karavan4’ trim, which adds a third front seat and full time 4x4.

The all new 1994 Sampo Kamu offers unrivaled space with it’s spacious yet aerodynamic design (owed to it’s smooth shape and removable rear wheel covers), compact rear suspension and short front overhangs.

Even offering up a possible sixth seat in the front for a child with fold down back rest (standard in Karavan4 trim) and a dash mounted shifter with all accompanying controls beside, the light upholstery and placement of the gauge cluster as a pod on the steering column offers a comfortable and airy feeling to the cabin. You won’t find space like this in any of the Kamu’s rivals like the also new for the year Volkswagen Polo.

It’s generous ground clearance and short overhangs prove the Kamu to be a reliable compatriot in both urban traffic and the trip down to the summer cabin, made even more reliable by the option of full time 4x4 with the torquey 1.5 Sampo MB-sEFI 4 cylinder engine situated low under the feet of the front passengers. You won’t be afraid of the weather once picking the Karavan4 trim in any Sampo.

Who knows what the future of Sampo holds with it’s new Kamu by it’s side. It may even spawn more compact 4x4 hatch-vans for all Europeans to enjoy. (pictured in yellow; 1999 Sampo Vania Karavan4, 7 seater two classes above) Maybe it’s time your family got a new buddy?

5 Likes

It’s more like a very small minivan/MPV, but it still has a hatchback rear end, so it deserves to be placed here.

1 Like

KAZ 1102-01/1102-02/1103-01/1103-12 Dana (1985-2013)-subcompact hatchback produced at the KAZ plant in Kremenchug from 1985 to 2013. The development of the car began in the mid-70s at the plant, they realized that there was a demand for such cars but no supply. In those years, such cars were offered only to the disabled. Initially, they planned to make a rear-engine, rear-wheel hatchback similar in appearance to the Autobello Faggio (Fiat 126), but in the early 80s they abandoned the early prototype, it was decided to assemble a front-engine, front-wheel drive car, and in 1985 production of a new car was launched especially small class. Immediately after the hatchback was launched on the conveyor, a five-door version was conceived, which soon became a station wagon under the index 1102-02, whose production began in 1990. The very next year, the USSR collapsed and the flow of foreign cars squeezed out the station wagon, and in 1993 the production of the station wagon was discontinued. In 1999, modernization of 1102 was carried out, which received the index 1103 and the name Dana, and in 2005 injection engines began to be installed under the hood of Dana. In 2013, due to crash tests where Dana completely failed, a ban was issued on the sale of this car (at a speed of 60 km / h, the car rack went inside and even broke) sales of the car were stopped

1102-01

1102-02

1103-01 Dana

1103-012 Dana

Engines
889cc I3C 6V (Carburetor) (32hp) 4-speed manual FWD (1102-01, 1102-02, 1103-01 Dana)
889cc I3I (Injector) 6V (41hp) 4-speed manual FWD (1103-012 Dana)

4 Likes

Winston Maestro(1987-1992)/100(1992-1997)/1000(1997-2005)/Berry Vision 1(2005-2013)-British front-wheel drive compact hatchback manufactured by Winston from 1987 to 2005. The car came out at the wrong time when the Winston brand safety scandal was raised. In 1992, an upgrade called 100 came out. Safety problems were corrected and ABS was added. In 1997, the appearance was redesigned and the model was called 1000. In 2005, Winston goes bankrupt, but the Chinese company Berry buys a license to produce this car and in the same year the Berry Vision 1 car was released with a different appearance and an engine that was a clone of the AW engine ( VW). In 2013, the production of the Vision 1 model ended

Maestro

Berry Vision 1

Engines
Winston I36 1.4 I3 6V DOHC FWD 4-speed Manual (74hp) (Maestro/100/1000)
Berry 1.4 AktivTec I4 16V SOHC FWD 4-speed Manual (73hp) (Vision 1)

4 Likes

Here we have a very normal (and not so hot) hatchback in a lovely light blue swatch.

This model in particular has a lovely and robust 4 cylinder engine that sends power to the…

Hmm, okay, so the engine is not transversely mounted. Still I am sure that it sends its power to…

…is that… a driveshaft? And a solid axle? swears in Fruinian and storms off

Yep, and it’s got a ladder chassis in it too, and the engine is a 2.3L OHV I4. Cause I wanted to.

4 Likes

1990s are here.
Avion Miglora Coupe, the regular version, still in development.

7 Likes

That’s nice, I somehow get a feeling that this could have as well been a late 80s Alfa concept…

3 Likes

Well, it is based on their body mold. Also, looking at the front, my latest Titan and Imperia adopt the fully internalized light clusters, so this car would be the genesis to that design element.
Anyways, thanks a bunch on the comment.

2 Likes

[WIP] For QFC24 “2018 Elkridge Xcitment”

4 Likes

6 Likes

DAN MODEL 2 (1936) a little but luxurious hatches.

The one litre I3 engine

2 Likes

2000 Primus Persua

With the previous one, Primus was propably too superficial, since it looked old when it came out in 1994 and despite overall not too bad scores, it just wasn´t premium in any way. That iteelf is ok, but not up to the brand´s image.

The new one is much more comfortable, more refined overall and has fancier engine options. However, it is still as conservative as the old one.

Engines are the base 1.5 four-cylinder with 93hp, an 1.8 with 115 hp that could also be bought with a five-speed automatic, the 2.3 V6 with 156 hp - surely unique in a compact hatchback! - with no less interessing options of either an innovative six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic and a new 1.7 DDI common rail turbodiesel with 108 horses.

Trim levels are Comfort, Plus, Spirit and Exclusive. Please note that not every engine could be combined with every trim. Watch out, Rigel!

6 Likes

DAN 750 Prototype

In 1940 DAN built the prototype of the car that was to replace the model 2 but due to the outbreak of war only one car with the raw aluminum body was produced.

4 Likes

I Like the double round rear window, like a Pretzel Beetle but still different

Feels rather Art Deco to me.

I think the engine is this hatch is a little shy…

1 Like

Did you use advanced trim settings or something to get a longitudinal ff engine facing the other way?

Exactly, spun it 180 and pushed it back far enough to line up the drive shafts with the wheels cleanly with advanced trim. Too bad it doesn’t adjust the weight bias.

2010 Primus Stratum

Caught in the trap of solid boredom, Primus did not dare too much with their new compact car. However, it was still a step in the right direction after the formerly very competitive Persua II aged quite bad in its last years. It comes as hatchback or wagon with the engines 1.4, 1.6, 1.6 GDI, 1.7 DDI and 2.2 DDI and the trim levels Select, Plus, Edition, Elegance, Avance and Ultimate. A sedan version for the Gasmean market is sold as Globus Bravura, differing in a few points from the Stratum.

4 Likes

1990 LVC LC90

LVC’s bargain-basement entry-level offering for the '90s, powered by a 50bhp 1.2L OHV I3.

The yellow car is the original pre-facelift model; the blue car is the facelifted version that debuted for the 1995 model year.

It’s no GTI, but as a reliable, economical, and cheap first car for first-time buyers, it’s perfectly adequate.

5 Likes