Official Car Design Competition (UE4 Open Beta)

I did get your first one, received 7 minutes before writing this reply.

Good it means it finaly get trough anti-spam xD, google keeps resending emails until succeded. Thank you 4 the reply by the way, now i can wait i peace :slight_smile:

Hehe, you’re welcome, the FAO Cheetah has found a new home :stuck_out_tongue:

When it comes to the engineering side, are we going purely off overall score in that demographic or what would realistically make a good car?

That would be a marker for how good the cars are, but not always, because the demographics can be a bit wonky at the moment due to the rebalancing going on. So it is about having a good stat balance according to what the target demographics want, at a reasonable price.

So for example, making suspension more comfortable at the cost of a lot drivability and sportiness in fun category may actually help in the competition despite losing like 20-30 score in the demographic?

Thanks for the help by the way, sorry for asking potentially dumb questions!

Well no, we’re looking at the demographic that is being targeted. If you build a 90s Hot Hatch / Fun car then we’d look at how well it does in the fun demographic :slight_smile: more comfort would not help much there, not when sacrificing sportiness and drivability.

sighs in relief watching the stats of my Plebia GTI

This game is DEEP! I’m completely lost when it comes to building factories or marketing, but the game makes me feel like the love child of Harley Earl and Zora Arkus Duntov when it comes to building sweet rides with awesome performance.

… mostly. =)

There’s a lot of creativity here. Can’t wait for more of the same, and plumbing the deep mysteries of actually trying to (successfully) run a car company.

Where can we see the cars for this competition, when it’s done? I’d sure appreciate a link, so I can see everyone’s hard work.

Thanks for everything, Killrob! This was a cool idea, and I hope you guys like my ride. Don’t even care if I win. Just passionate about the game. Looking forward to even more goodness.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed making a set of cars for the competition! The entire experience has been interesting to say the least! I would very much enjoy seeing more official competitions like this in the future. Even if there was no prize, I think people would still like to be given the chance to have their designs be judged against others by the devs occasionally, maybe some kind of pre-update release competition so you can use current community designs for the development news!

Thanks again for having this entire thing, it’s been a blast!

4 Likes

Can I participate into the ad category, plus one of the rest of the categories? Because the rule 6 says only one car per competition category.

As far as I am aware, you can enter as many categories as you wish and add the advertisement to one of your entries.

Really cool that you guys are doing this, and even better that you got Mr. Regular on board too! Had a blast whipping up some cars during the last week. Just a quick question: when you name your cars, should you use the Steam user name you registered with, or is using whatever you have as your alias OK? I made mine up when I was 12 and it’s stupid and hard to pronounce for english speakers.

One per category means you can submit a total of 11 cars, as there are 11 categories.
Category R requires you to submit both car and ad.

1 Like

Either way with the username is fine, if you win we’ll contact you and sort that out anyway, just keep it consistent!
Cheers

It’s been a hell of a long time since I seriously designed a car, time to see if I still have it from the Soltra days (Props to you if you remember those trash designs).

1 Like

My 4 are sent.

I send now my 4th car, i hope all of them got successfully on platform and gonna work correctly when loaded (i not sure if my premium sedan don’t gonna get bug of self replacing part type that are critical for front and back lights)

What a tidal wave of entries hitting the shores of my competition inbox in the last 8 hours before the deadline! In total we’re up to about 500 entries. I will post an overview statistic in due time.

1 Like

Here are the stats of the submission distribution, pretty even overall!

Edit: That is a total of 453 entries, I over-estimated the number due to the double file submissions from Mr. Regular’s category.
There are about 3-6 cars per category that fail to get imported, most likely due to using the wrong version of the game. Heck, we even got two submissions for the Kee Engine version! So the effective number of entries to judge will be closer to 400, and every one of them will be shown in one of the competition videos.

18 Likes