QFC23 - Mafioso Motoring [Results out!]

Average automation player I’m afraid.

In reality most of these cars wold be limited to 250km/h. I limited to 270 and obviously that’s on the slower side

4 Likes

You don’t need a speed limiter if you can’t go fast enough to need to be limited.

download

4 Likes

The Lotus Omega could not even reach 300 and it held the top speed record for series produced 4 door cars for quite a lot of years…

3 Likes

The only reason you aren’t up in the 200mph club with the rest of us is that you’re in a ute #PowerGang

1 Like

Well… The chauffeur asked for first class performance, didnt he? (The Imperator loves hunting Ventnors and eats them for breakfast)

2 Likes

My entry can reach 197 mph and get to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.5 seconds - a staggering figure for a flagship luxury car back in 1995 - but this is 10 mph less and 1 second slower, respectively, than what my “Plan B” entry (the WM Deus 720R) was capable of. Even then, those figures are still a further 10 mph less and 0.5 seconds slower, respectively, than what the more extreme 720X trim could manage.

In short, although the Ventnor could not out-accelerate the Vauxhall/Opel Lotus Carlton/Omega of similar vintage, the WM Deus (in 720R and 720X guises) could - with both cars having significantly higher top speeds compared to the (then) GM product - but at a much higher price, in keeping with their far more luxurious interiors and standard equipment lists.

1 Like

In reality most of these cars wouldn’t have as much power. 1995 Merc S600 made 394 hp, and there was no factory AMG back then. BMW, Audi and Jag didn’t even come close (yes, even S8 and XJR), Rolls and Bentley also fell behind (yes, even Turbo R from what I can see).

I regret not entering, as it’s a really nice round, but alas, I didn’t have time to finish the design. But if I did, I’d enter with a 5-litre N/A V8, making no more than 400 hp… more likely ~350.

3 Likes

Even then, it’s fun to just drone up ridiculous cars with monstrous performance. I really only asked for it to be well-engineered and in the vague realm of possibility, not for it to accurately reflect market pressures and be in-line with existing designs.

I’m aware of the 150-ish MPH speed limiter that most German (?) brands stuck to, but it can be assumed here that those limiters would be either removed post-purchase, or just not included, because with vehicles this exclusive and prestigious, it can almost be certain that it’s piloted by an experienced driver, and not an 18-year-old nutcase with driving experience entirely gained in Forza.

If I remember correctly the Overlander was making about ~360 hp from it’s 4.8L V8

2 Likes

That would have kept it in the mix in terms of straight-line performance - although it certainly wouldn’t have been the fastest (or slowest) entrant, though.

If we’re being period-accurate, we could replace Forza (or indeed any racing game franchise introduced after 1996) with “(insert name of contemporary arcade racing game here)”, but your point is still valid.

That may be a moot point (as far as placement in this QFC is concerned) if the Imperator in question (which I’m assuming will be mentioned in the next batch of reviews) does not advance to the semifinals, but for the sake of our rivalry, I’m hoping it does.

Well, each to their own I guess, I prefer less chilli in my dishes :stuck_out_tongue: In other words, I tend to stick to realism + just a little bit of crazy. It feels more challenging :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Not exactly an original manufacturer, but in 1996 one could buy this and similar models:

2 Likes
Part 5: A world of speed and style

Greetings,

Today I will cover the vehicles which were remarkable for their speed, or their style. These are among the fastest production cars in the world, and can even outrun helicopters if need be, while looking classy doing so.

Moving on, I will begin with the fastest.

@Happyhungryhippo

// 1995 Primus Imperator 600 R

(OOC Notes: Looks amazing, could have maybe done with less front wheel offset or a bit of fender flare, but other than that it’s quite beautiful and announces its class very well.)

Long form

216.7 miles per hour. That’s the top speed of the Primus Imperator 600R. I don’t know what thought process led them to sticking a 7-liter all-alloy twin-turbocharged direct-injected 744-horsepower monster in an executive barge, but I’m glad they did. It beats a Lamborghini Diablo to 60 by a whole second, courtesy of very rear-biased all-wheel-drive, coupled with electric limited-slip differentials and a five-speed computerized automatic.

The tires are 225/225mm; not exactly fit for the task, since it does spin the wheels a fair bit, even with the electronic LSD. It does provide enough grip for good cornering, and at speed it handles relatively well, though at the very end there is a case of some understeer. The brakes fade a lot, but they’re powerful enough to continue working acceptably despite fading.

The world’s fastest saloon seats four in a handmade cabin of an acceptable quality, along with a satellite navigation system, advanced safety, and electronic stability control. Active comfort suspension increases comfort and allows for some sportier feel with adaptive dampers.

In short: A ridiculous, completely unnecessarily powerful and fast saloon, and I fucking love it. It would have been the world’s fastest production car if it weren’t for the McLaren F1, and it’s the fastest 4-door by a wide margin.

Verdict: Passed on to the semifinals. It’s cool, it’s stylish, and it’s comfortable, while being very prestigious as well. It’s excellent in all respects; apart from its price tag. Did I mention speed?

@moroza

// 1995 Norðwagen Fenrir

(OOC Notes: Personally not a fan of the front, and the rear is a bit too modern for me, but it announces its class very well, plus when looking at it it really does say you’re taking care of business, even if it isn’t the most pleasing of designs. Seeing the effort you put in to making the car, dealing with my bullshit, and writing a chapter of a book, I’ve decided the least I can do is to do the same.)

A short piece

A dim orange glow lights up the garage, as Jay exits the Norðwagen Fenrir. He hadn’t actually finished processing what the hell just happened; mostly from the lack of feel by the Fenrir’s various comfort gadgets and features, though her offer for a little trial had been quickly accepted because of that. Even with seeing first-hand the Fenrir’s performance, and the consequences if it did not perform like it did, he’d have to give it the usual walk-around and peeking.

He jumped down from the floor of the garage in to the pit, armed with a flashlight and a screwdriver. Unsurprisingly, Skye wasn’t lying when she said it was equipped with a full aerodynamic underbody, the panels covering the entire underside of the car, save for some maintenance access ports for the oil pan drain plug and such. Even those were covered by a clip-on plastic piece, however. Inspecting the underbody, he wasn’t exactly sure how to approach taking the panels off, and consulting the manual revealed nothing but Hetvetsian gibberish. He decided to just remove the bolts that he could see and tug at it a few times to try and get it off.

After taking off the bolts, the underbody panel cleanly came off with a quick pull. He was a bit surprised by the traditional body-on-frame construction, though that would’ve contributed to the body flex a bit, a small benefactor to comfort. The Rhania was the only other vehicle to use a ladder frame up to that point, with the Hammardiin Overlander and the similar AW Lis using monocoque chassises instead, despite being similarly large SUVs. That didn’t save the latter from being heavy and unwieldy though, with the garage’s scale showing the Fenrir was a good 600 pounds lighter than the Lis. That didn’t mean it was light; weighing a good 4,600 pounds.

He observed the suspension, being a double-wishbone on the front and a complex multi-link on the rear. As mentioned by Skye, it had the tell-tale oil-and-gas spheres of a hydropneumatic suspension system, although the depressurized system made the car sag to hypercar levels.
He’d have to actually get it out and drive it on the roads to take notes of the suspension, besides its type, despite the short and somewhat-tragic freeway stint in Hetvetsia.

As he mounted the underbody panels back on, his mobile phone beeped with an SMS message - his boss had been gracious enough to grant him one of those new fangled Motorola StarTAC phones- which could receive, but not send SMS messages. The matrix display quickly revealed it was his boss, who was interested in that DMCW Shar- Sharrliri- Proletariat- Sharrairat- Sharrialat- Norðwagen Fenrir.

Climbing out of the pit, he decided to take a look under the hood. He moved to open the door, which swung open smoothly, remaining in position as he pulled the bonnet release.
Moving back out to the front, and closing the frameless door, he gazed upon the 4.8-liter all-cast V12, only a hundred pounds lighter than the ridiculous 12-liter that the Minerva wielded. While he wouldn’t be able to pull apart the engine - not in a reasonable time at least - he did read up that it used mostly forged internals with hypereutectic cast pistons, as a measure to control the emissions to get it in to the emissions-choked Gasmean market. It featured variable valve timing, variable valve lift, and whatever else variable whatever, along with individual throttle bodies. The turbochargers featured boost control, as a way to enable that flat torque…line. Race headers made sure that the turbochargers were fed the exhaust air quickly, though the exhaust was understandably restricted to pass ridiculous Gasmean emissions standards.

With careful aiming of his flashlight, he was able to see the six-speed advanced automatic transmission, neatly stuffed in to the transmission tunnel. Repositioning himself, he could also see the driveshaft leading to the front axle, coupled with a relatively bulky looking differential, which he assumed included the locking mechanism.

The bonnet came down with a satisfying ‘thud’ as he closed it, and as he walked around, the magnesium rims, painted in black, reflected the little light coming from the incandescent bulb in the middle of the garage. Jay decided it was time to give the inside a thorough inspection.

He opened the door again, and stepped inside. The door closed with a meaty, solid and affirming click, and the presence light in the roof gradually dimmed, while the dashboard lights illuminated, the letters on the ignition gradually turning on and off as he sat in the seat. He adjusted it, with the most far back position leaving his feet where the steering wheel was, approximately, which left him with the thought if those fabled 11-foot-tall Dyre could fit in it.

He looked out in front, the hood ornament standing prominently in the view, along with the window separator, reminiscent of a jetliner’s window arrangement. The Fenrir sure was as sleek as one, and if that highway drive showed him anything, it was as fast as one. Looking to the right a bit, he observed the Vinthal clock, silently rotating on, as he inserted the key in to the ignition.

As he turned the key, everything remained illuminated, unlike most vehicles whose electrical systems aren’t equipped to continue operation during starting. The whirr of the engine quickly faded to the all-familiar hum, with the only indication of the engine being started being the central tachometer needle sitting at a humble 600rpm, dropping to 500 as he put the automatic transmission in to the ‘Drive’ position.

The area around his garage wasn’t particularly well-maintained; the constant stream of heavy trucks and other industrial traffic put a large strain on the roads, with the government not being able to resurface the asphalt every year or so. The Fenrir ate the potholes, cracks and other imperfections up, like it was nothing. The engine was barely audible, and the road noise was nearly non-existent, with even the occasional truck air horn being nothing more than a normal speaking volume.

Leaving the industrial area, he decided the most appropriate handling test would be a real-world test, thus deciding to take the freeway back to the Hetvetsian border, where the mountain roads would put the Fenrir’s handling to the test. Before that, however, he had to drive a hundred or so miles on the freeway, and he decided to make that another test as well.

The exhaust valve switch was, with some effort, put to ‘Manual Open’ mode, and turned the quiet hum of the unladen engine in to a slow but audible symphony. That would change, as soon as he hit the accelerator, the force pushing him back in to the seat with some ferocity. He liked the exhaust switch, for it was much preferable to the half-working system of spring-loaded butterfly valves on the IAS Serpent, resulting in an engine which wasn’t really sure if wanted to be sporty or quiet.

The car quickly accelerated up to more-than-autobahn speeds, the linear power delivery resulting in an almost perfectly stepped acceleration force. The traffic, while very meager at this time of night, acted like the traffic cones that you have to face in the driving school, though hitting any of them would be much more deadly than a cone, and costly as well.

Out of nowhere, a car decided to overtake a slow-moving truck, and without checking their mirrors, switched lanes. Jay immediately took note, and pushed the brake pedal straight in to the padded floor, ABS light flashing rapidly as the vehicle slowed. Midway through the braking action, it became clear that braking alone was not enough to avoid an accident, and so, with a large and swift action of the steering wheel, Jay swerved out on the shoulder, electronic stability control minimizing the amount of post-input corrections he had to make.

Following that, he overtook the overtaking car, and drove on to tight mountain roads shortly after, confirming the somewhat relaxed stance of the car on the road at the limit, and a fair amount of understeer at the limit: a camber adjustment could fix that, and those Dahullan-trained experts should be able to do that, for a price, of course.

After his stint in the mountains, he drove the Fenrir back to the garage, and would deliberate with himself whether he would consider it for his boss…

Verdict: Passed on to the semifinals. Ridiculously comfortable, prestigious, and quite fast as well, with good handling.

@GetWrekt01

// 1995 Macht Teuton ES265 Jaeger

(OOC Notes: Mercedes B- I mean Macht Teuton. Aggressively styled, and wonderful to look at. It announces class, but it announces more that you’ve got a seriously fast car.)

Long form

I looked at the Macht Teuton ES265 Jaeger next. When my eyes first gazed upon it, I felt the ‘serious business’ vibe radiating off of it. While I’m not particularly sure what the 3.0 badge means (It has an all-alloy 5.2-liter V8), it does show serious sporting looks.

The engine, as mentioned, is an all-alloy 5.2-liter V8, with the finest internals that money can buy. Variable everything, individual throttle bodies, tubular headers and high-flow exhausts, this engine means serious business, putting out 481 horsepower. That power is sent to the rear wheels through a six-speed computerized automatic, aided in part by a geared limited-slip differential. Tires are 205/235, quite thin, judging by the fact that first gear is just a spin-fest. The 205/235 stagger also causes it to understeer at speed, and quite significantly, having 105 kg of downforce at top speed in the rear, while the front gets 150 kg of lift. It also features electric power steering, taking out the road feel as well.

The brakes are quite powerful, leading to a good margin of pedal actuation that’s just dead-zone as the ABS takes over.

A standard luxury (albeit of good quality) interior with four seats and satellite navigation line the inside, which also impacts the comfort, unfortunately. It does come with electronic stability control and advanced safety, with some attention being paid to reducing its weight. Along with that, it uses progressive spring suspension with active dampers, along with semi-active roll-bars. The suspension is tuned for maximum drivability, which unfortunately causes a very rough ride, further impacting comfort.

In short: Sporty, very fast, and unfortunately another sufferer of high-speed understeer. It’s the lightest car in the list, and the most sporty by a fair margin. Shame that goes to the cost of the comfort. I know it’s a lore car, but unfortunately it’s not entirely what we’re looking for, it is however an excellent car overall, weren’t it for the comfort situation.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration, unfortunately.

@Texaslav

// 1995 Somervell Sabre Royale T

(OOC Notes: In my opinion, this is the best looking entry, one of two to earn a 100 styling score, along with the Primus. Also one of the few to use a ladder frame)

Long form

The Somervell Sabre Royale has been in production for six years, and received an update last year. It’s powered by a traditional-ish cast iron-aluminum 5.7-liter V8. It’s also one of the ones that features a 2 valve per cylinder single overhead cam unit. The crank is forged, with the conrods and pistons being cast. Fixed valves, unlike most, and naturally aspirated as well. A reliability rating of 101 as a result, being technologically conservative and being built on proven technology. Tubular headers and a high-flow catalytic converter help it exhaust the waste.

The 350 horsepower is slammed in to the five-speed computerized automatic transmission, through the driveshaft, and in to the geared limited slip differential, where it powers the rear wheels. 235/265mm sports compound tires sit on the alloy rims, which grant it the highest cornering performance seen yet. The brakes are a bit on the weak side considering their fade, but they aren’t unusable.

The vehicle seats four in a hand-made interior of very high quality, along with a CD player. Very advanced safety provides peace of mind, along with electronic stability control ensuring stability, though the tire stagger also results in stability through high-speed understeer, which seems to be a very common theme. Active comfort suspension ensures a smooth ride as well, all for the absolute bargain price of 47400$.

In short: Very, very comfortable, okay prestige, extremely good looks, insane reliability, all for an extremely competitive price.

Verdict: Passed on to the semifinals

@DrDoomD1scord

// 1995 Monarch L9000 V12 Executive

(OOC: Looks great, if you just ignore the rust everywhere from shipping it over. Rust? I mean weight reduction. Rust is lighter than carbon fiber, remember?)

Long form

The Monarch L9000 V12 Executive has been on the market for a good four years, and it’s shown a few good and bad things about itself. Let’s begin with the engine. It’s a 7.4-liter aluminum-alloy V12 unit. Entirely cast internals, and only a small amount of balancing weights added, while still running smooth. Comes with tech gubbins like variable valve timing and such, and individual throttle bodies for the airflow. It’s fairly loud, due to using a straight-through type muffler and a reverse-flow. It also comes with muffler bypass valves, if you want it to be even louder.

The 570 horsepower output goes through a five-speed computerized automatic transmission, along with a viscous limited-slip differential, powering the rear wheels. 225/225mm tires ride on the alloy wheels, quite undersized for the power output it’s handling, expressed by the wheelspin. The brakes are okay, and it stops within a reasonable distance. Un-staggered tires and a crap-ton of downforce provide good handling, even at speed.

The vehicle seats four in a hand-made cabin with satellite navigation, all of which is very high-quality. It comes with standard safety equipment and traction control, but no electronic stability control. It rides on hydropneumatic suspension, which is balanced in between comfort and drivability.

In short, it’s expensive, but very comfortable and prestigious, also has the lowest environmental resistance, which isn’t scored but it’s funny to joke about rust issues

@SheikhMansour

// 1995 Kepler Ganymede

(OOC Notes: It really just lacks detail… The styling isn’t bad, there’s just not much styling to speak of. I can’t really give many points for it, especially considering the total fixture count of 26. Not saying that more fixture = better, but it just doesn’t invoke much class if there’s not much to look at anyway. The mirrors are quite small, by the way.)

Long form

The Kepler Ganymede is another speed demon, giving the Primus a run for its money. It’s powered by an all-alloy 6-liter V12, with fully forged internals. It comes with the technological variable-valve gubbins, and twin turbochargers for good measure, boosting the output to 617 horsepower. The exhaust is a bit restrictive, but also provides an extremely quiet engine.

The power is sent to all wheels via a computerized automatic and geared limited-slip differentials, using a 50/50 distribution of power. It rides on 255/255mm tires, which provide decent cornering ability, all the way up to high speeds, while remaining responsive and not spiraling in to oversteer either. The brakes are cromulent as well, providing plenty of brake force, and not fading at all.

The interior is very high quality, and seats four. It’s hand-made on the inside, and provides a high-spec CD player as well. Very advanced safety and electronic stability control provide protection and prevention, while riding on hydropneumatic suspension to ensure ride comfort as well.

In conclusion: Another very competitive entry stats-wise, but the (lack of) looks put a damper on it. Very good comfort and exceptional prestige do make for a very high score though.

@Ananas

// 1995 Cordelia Symphonie “Du Chef”

(OOC Notes: The massive glob of chrome behind and near the headlights make it look like it’s wearing goggles, and I’m not sure what’s going on with the padding on the doors being up that high, but for the rest it’s fine.)

Long form

To round off my list, I present the Cordelia Symphonie “Du Chef”. It’s been in production since 1986, which means this year marks its tenth year in production. Like the A.G. Tigresse Esprit, it’s French, which means it comes with quirky styling, though the engine is two V6s instead of one V6. Because of being two V6s, it’s also equipped with quad turbochargers. It’s all-alloy, and comes with variable valve timing, and individual throttle bodies, in case those four turbochargers weren’t enough performance words. The engine gives the Primus’s engine a run for its money, with 716 horsepower, and a ginormous twin 114mm exhaust, if that wasn’t enough. Strangely enough, it uses compact headers to feed the turbochargers.

Unlike…most who have sense, this French car does not, and pipes the 716 horsepower straight in to the rear wheels, through a six-speed computerized automatic and an electronic limited-slip differential. To deal with this, it has 185/245mm tires…which absolutely destroy any cornering abilities. If that wasn’t enough, it also has plenty of rear downforce to further push it in to understeer, so good luck making a high speed turn. The brakes are fine, and you’re going to be using them a lot, since you can’t make a corner at speed at all.

The interior is hand-made and seats four, while keeping them busy with a satellite navigation system. Electric power steering makes sure you don’t feel the understeer as you approach the wall at great speed, and electronic stability control makes sure you hear the brakes working, trying to save you from the inevitable impact with the highway barrier. Standard safety makes sure to kill you once it’s all over, and active comfort suspension makes sure you’re comfortable during your death.

In short: Good stats, just the worst case of understeer yet. For that reason I’m going to have to leave it out of consideration.

Verdict: Not taken in to consideration. Double NTITC for calling your engine the “Deuxbussy QT”.

Finals and results are expected tomorrow. You’re giving me a very hard time picking and choosing which one should progress and which shouldn’t, by the way. Start making worse cars >:((((

17 Likes

12 Likes

That’s not far off the figure attained by the Deus 720X - and that car needed a manual transmission to do so.

The final standings

Greetings,

I don’t think it’s necessary to prolong it in to an overly long finals section, so here’s the rankings:

Summary

12th - @Fantic2000 ’s Litchfield 600 LS - Average stats and a modestly high price place the Litchfield in 12th.

11th - @Ludvig ‘s Fowler Baltimore 360LT Special - Also average stats, but at a much lower price. Therefore 11th.

10th - @Caligo ‘s Jidosha Kogaku Basha-Shi - Slightly above average stats, but for a steep price.

9th - @mart1n2005 ’s Harrington 300 by Knightwick - Also slightly above average stats, but for a much less steep price.

8th - @DrDoomD1scord ‘s Monarch L9000 V12 Executive - High comfort and high prestige, and good looks, for a similarly high price.

7th - @Danicoptero ‘s Umbra Conquistador - Also high comfort, high prestige, but not that fitting looks for the market. A decent package.

6th - @alen.alic1983 ‘s Avion Imperia V12 - Good looks, mostly above average stats for a very reasonable price.

5th - @abg7 ‘s AMS Ventnor V12 - High comfort, average prestige, and above average stats beyond that. A reasonable above-average package.

4th - @SheikhMansour ‘s Kepler Ganymede - Very high comfort and especially prestige, for a very reasonably priced package. Not that good looking though, but that was said already.

3rd - @moroza ‘s Norðwagen Fenrir - Sharrialat. Insane comfort and prestige rating, mostly because of having only two seats while being a mix of a shooting brake and a station wagon. Diminishing returns though. It also reached 500 AMU off the maximum budget.

2nd - @Texaslav ’s Somervell Sabre Royale T - Extremely affordable for what it offers, plus very high comfort, despite seating four in a two-door coupe. If boss was to acquire a new car of his own, this would definitely be it.

1st - @Happyhungryhippo ’s Primus Imperator 600 R - Maxed out budget, but also extremely good looking and above average stats, along with being the fastest entry by a good margin, with good handling as well. Nailed the (poor) brief

Short reflection
15 days and 42 entries later, this challenge is finally done.

The brief left things to be desired. It was unclear at best, and downright wrong with my priorities at worst. Later on in the submissions phase while plugging in the numbers, the difference between a good entry and a great entry started to become hazy at best, since the numbers got high enough so that all points of reference could only be provided by the average, highest and lowest, so speed and handling suddenly took a higher precedent.

I mentioned earlier that I didn’t give enough time to let the idea cook, which still applies. Seven hours was the time between the challenges, and minimal deliberation was held about the rules. Additionally Texaslav made a good point about the budget, being that a soft cap gives the wrong idea, and that the budget is ridiculous enough to allow for literally anything one could want.

I received many amazing entries, and I enjoyed looking and scoring all of them, but I really cannot write any more of this i need a break

???
26 Likes

Considering the intensity of the competition, I’ll happily take a top-5 finish. Congratulations to Primus for winning with an utterly overpowered beast!

Anyway, thank you for hosting this round - and I can’t wait to see what the next one will bring.

4 Likes

I can appreciate the effort and time this took. Well done, you!

Third in my first competition? I’ll take that. When you return from your break, would you elaborate on the styling (the grill, I bet) and “diminishing returns”?

Any interest in (or objection to) a spin-off competition among some of the semifinalists? Something like: it’s 1997. The Outstanding Citizens of Gasmea have taken notice of Signore Bosso’s stylish Imperator and most of the other Dons have got one for themselves. It’s become a niche market - “Luxury Performance”, roughly 1/3 Supercar and 2/3 Luxury, or Luxury that cares a bit more about handling. Fill that niche.

6 Likes

That would be intriguing enough to deserve its own thread, but it doesn’t have to be an actual round of QFC/CSR.

1 Like

8th not bad, That was an awesome challenge GGs everyone!

3 Likes