QFC24 - Poll and Preparation

I made a lot of thoughts what would be a setting the community wants - since the last host had a rather lucky hand with that. A part II was desired, but it would break an unwritten rule of QFC that the rounds should be closed in itself, storytelling is a JOC thing.

So I asy YOU as a community.

What do you want to build me for a setting? Let me know it.
DISCLAIMER: If there is an absurd outcome, like “luxury cars with a strong focus on budget in 1950s South America” I will definitely try to build a credible story, but I might see what other things are strongly desired if I fail to build a good setting.

What region do you want it to take place in?
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
  • USA
  • Australia
  • South America

0 voters

What decade?
  • 1950s
  • 1960s
  • 1970s
  • 1980s
  • 1990s
  • 2000s
  • 2010s

0 voters

What type of car should be required?
  • City
  • Family
  • Sports
  • Premium
  • Luxury
  • Offroad
  • MPV
  • Delivery vans
  • Convertibles

0 voters

Should there be some emphasis on cost and economy?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I dont care

0 voters

I will check on the result on friday and build the story next weekend.

Have fun and tell me what you think about my “democratic” QFC. Any proposals for rules can be left in the comments, however, there is little to define since the brief won´t be published until next weekend, nevertheless I am open to your ideas.

7 Likes

Next Friday is a super long time to weight for QFC, I think the poll should be closed on Today at the latest.

I see your point, but there are still challenges open at the moment (CSC, ARM, etc.) so I do not want to put pressure on the community members. JOC is delayed for the same reason.
What I can offer: I have set the poll timer on thursday afternoon. So I can try to get a story on thursday evening, meaning that entrants have the whole weekend for their builds (I calculate with one week until closing, while the weekend would be perfectly used for rule discussion, which finishes with open submissions on sunday).

Earlier would not make sense for most people (not everyone is daily active to make a vote in a 2-hour-poll) and for me because I am working far away from home until thursday evening and I dont have access to my private PC.

6 Likes

I’m curious to see how this will pan out - I initially considered using a poll to decide between two themes I had thought up for the last QFC (one being the one that I ultimately decided on, and the other being a round which could be summed up as ‘shitty chinese vans’).

I can agree with Vento that a full five-or-so days for a QFC’s setting to be decided on is quite long, but seeing as you can’t actually facilitate an earlier time, I fully understand.

by the way, please no 2010’s city cars im going to cry otherwise /s

5 Likes

What is JOC?

I’d like the setting to be the in-game universe: Gasmea, Hetvesia, Fruinia, Archana, Dalluha, preferably after 1990 when all markets are shared.

Indifferent to era as long as it’s open to more rounded styling.

Some concern for cost is a must.

Allowance for retro or anachronisms a plus.

I second “no city cars” especially newer ones.

3 Likes

If the people want 2010 City Cars, so be it. I am not a fan myself but that’s democracy.

However, I WILL allow retro design.

2 Likes

JOC is the Journey of Ownership challenge. It’s a sort of story based challenge that follows a single person and the cars they buy over there lifetime.

The current round seems to have stalled out a little (likely will have to give it a poke to remind the current host about it).

3 Likes

if that’s what we get i will drive off a bridge :fire: :fire: :fire: :100:

4 Likes

See this is why I don’t like democracy.

5 Likes

I think Frederick the Great had the right idea regarding democracy: “Everything for the people; nothing by the people.”

I may or may not participate in a city car challenge. Shitty Chinese vans also likely not. I like Quality, at least a little bit. If we go that way, would there be any problem if I launched my own challenge, either a spinoff of the last one, or an original idea?

Some ideas I had for rules, which may or may not make sense for what we end up doing:

• Detailed interior not necessary, but seats and some basic fixtures do need to be defined, one of the scoring criteria being legroom and/or room to stretch out and sleep. Perhaps extended towards camper van design.

• Budget defined as materials + (50 x production units), thereby disregarding engineering time while still being budget-conscious.

• Some emphasis or de-emphasis placed on more detailed stats than simply the major ones. For example, my personal idea of comfort includes most of what the game does, but I would not penalize a manual gearbox, lack of stereo, or a high-torque engine for comfort, nor high throttle response for drivability. I would instead penalize high engine rotating inertia, because it makes driving stick annoying, while not caring as much about throttle response per se.

(My IRL car is set up with the softest-available springs and shocks, hydropneumatic in the back, extra soundproofing including sheet lead in the doors, a manual transmission with a custom lightweight flywheel, tall highway gearing, decent but unremarkable audio, and a stock intake and exhaust. Loafy efficient cruiser that’s quick and fun to shift gears)

3 Likes

You can always open your own challenge, as I wrote, I considered re-using the setting of QFC23, but then i thought nope, that´s not the standard for QFC (but to be honest: Neither is my democracy attempt, but I was curious how that would turn out).

Speaking of that, if no unlucky circumstances stop me from doing so, I will provide you the setting and rules on Thursday evening, around 10 pm GMT+1 (I will return home at approx. 8 PM if traffic is as usual).

4 Likes

You have 49 voters, that’s basically everyone that will enter plus some. I’d say you should close the polls and do the challenge now.

4 Likes

Well, after the complaints are increasing and I recieve even PMs that tell me to speed up ffs, it looks like this is democracy as well. Polls are closing this evening.

1 Like

I’m OK with that one as well.

Can re use cars from my previous csr just with a little updating

1 Like

As wanted, I closed the poll. The result is 2010s city cars with budget focus in Europe. YAWN! But the public has spoken, and I will follow it.

As I told, I work the weekdays far away from home. I have two weeks off starting from monday so this is why I am able to host at all.

But it seems like some can’t even wait until thursday evening. However, If I have the opportunity tomorrow to build something in an Internet Cafe I will do so. But I will not type a whole challenge on a mobile phone I can’t even use without my reading glasses.

I have already a setting in mind. A senior has to give up driving his old big sedan because he can’t handle it anymore, and he now wants a small easy-to-use car with some kind of automatic.

8 Likes

How long until the 270bhp hot hatches get built? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Thank you Automation community for voting for European hatchbacks for the 1000th time, I could never get enough of these challenges :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

frfr ong bro i can’t wait for a carbon copy of qfc6 :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

8 Likes