Race of the Century - A Le Mans Challenge [RESULTS RELEASED]

Soon^™

5 Likes

Better photos cus my dumb ass forgot to change the resolution

8 Likes

2 Slow 2 Feedback

Before we start, I just wanna give a little update from myself. The plan was to have this post cover all the entries submitted last week, but you may notice there are only two reviews here. I’ve been dealing with an unexpected IRL situation lately and I’m not sure when I can get back to writing, so rather than delay the post any further I’ve decided to post what I already have. I’ve asked @chiefzach2018 to try and help finish the rest of these reviews, so expect to see more of him on this thread and less of me. Thanks for your patience and understanding. :slight_smile:

Luath Gaoth LMDh

@Matt

As this is my first ever build I’d appreciate any feedback but don’t go easy on me :slight_smile:

Here we go then. :full_moon_with_face:

For a first build, it’s honestly not bad compared to others I’ve seen, especially after taking in some of the feedback from the discord. However, there’s still some points to improve on.

Firstly, that side profile is quite featureless. To complete the LMDh look, a sidepod setup like the IRL cars have would help. At the very least, there should be also be an opening behind the front wheels to allow air to escape the wheelwells for better aerodynamics.

Here’s a quick mockup using the sidepod fixtures that come with the prototype body mod. I used cutaway patches to cut a hole in the side for that fixture, then used some more patches to… well, patch up the gaps left behind. The wheelwell opening was done with a bargeboard fixture from one of the Simmer’s modpacks.

image image

What’s with all the body molding slapped on the side here? It just looks quite messy and out of place, especially with the triangular piece creeping up the side of the greenhouse as well. I can’t see any clear aerodynamic purpose for these bumps, and I’m pretty sure the one in front of the door is gonna make driver changes a pain in the ass (literally).

Speaking of out of place, these fixtures really stand out a lot:

image image
image image

While adding a bit of colour contrast to your livery is great, this isn’t the best way of doing it as it just makes those fixtures stand out like a sore thumb. A good way to combat this is to use a bit of patches or decals from the RB Insanity mod to add some colour blocking around those fixtures and make it seem as if it’s all part of one cohesive livery.

Another thing that goes a long way towards a cohesive livery is the colour of all your sponsors. IRL liveries usually have 2 or 3, maybe 4 main colours, and 1 or 2 of those colours usually come from the main sponsor. From the image above, there’s already a lot more than 2, 3, or 4. I mean, there’s 2 different shades of yellow, 3 different shades of blue, etc…

Pick a main sponsor and make that the largest and most featured (but as I said in the discord, don’t make it huge), while the rest of the sponsors can have a couple smaller stickers organised around the car. The primary sponsor can be in full colour, but the rest should either be in black or white, or in some cases full colour if it happens to complement the surrounding colour scheme.

TL;DR: It looks like a promising start but needs a lot of polishing to be a serious contender. Still, a decent effort for a first build.

Tarske Doce LMH

@Danicoptero

First impressions - we’re a fan of the classy colour scheme. No complaints on the livery either, the sponsors are well organised and the colours don’t clash with the existing colour scheme. However, it’s a little sparse around the rear, with pretty much no branding in sight compared to the other angles.

The rear is also probably the design’s biggest weak point. The blocky lights here really clash with the rounded body and quite frankly they look like Lego bricks:

Also, those rain lights should be positioned at the outermost corners of the car.

The side view exposes a big aerodynamic flaw with the rear design. For a ground-effect car, which I assume this is judging by the lack of any big rear wing like the Peugeot 9X8, it’s important to keep the bodywork low in order to maximise the ground effect aerodynamics. By having the rear up so high, you’re letting the air out early and losing a lot of the downforce in a critical area.

This is how low the 9X8’s rear is, by contrast:

Apart from all that, the overall design could also benefit from more complex aerodynamic features to really help sell the ground effect thing, especially around the side skirts.

TL;DR: It’s a very promising start, the concept just needs a bit more refinement.

10 Likes

Luath Gaoth: Scotland’s bold new entry into the LMDh category
By William ‘Will’ Matthews for Racing Review

The motorsports world has been abuzz with excitement ever since the Scottish manufacturer Luath announced that they were entering the LMDh category with their brand-new car, the Gaoth. And finally, the day arrived when the world got its first look at this highly anticipated car.

The reveal event for the Gaoth LMDh took place at a private event in Scotland, and the car did not disappoint. From the moment the covers were lifted, it was clear that Luath had poured their heart and soul into the design of this machine.

The Gaoth LMDh is a stunning car, with sleek lines and a bold, aggressive stance that demands attention. The car’s livery is inspired by the Scottish flag, with a deep blue color dominating the bodywork, accented by flashes of white and yellow.

Luath has clearly put a lot of effort into the aerodynamics of the Gaoth, with a low-slung nose and sharply angled front wing. The rear of the car features a large, imposing wing that will provide ample downforce on the track.

Under the hood, the Gaoth is powered by a hybrid drivetrain that combines a high-revving V6 engine with an electric motor. While Luath has not yet released specific details on the power output of the car, it is expected to be highly competitive in the LMDh category.

During the reveal event, Luath’s CEO, Fiona MacKenzie, spoke about the company’s commitment to innovation and sustainability. She noted that the Gaoth is not only a highly capable race car but also represents Luath’s dedication to pushing the boundaries of automotive technology.

Fans of motorsports are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see the Gaoth LMDh in action on the racetrack. Luath has not yet announced if any of parent company OstAuto’s customer teams will be racing the car, but it is expected to be a highly sought-after machine.

One of our journalists caught up with one of the team drivers, here’s what he had to say:

Interviewer: Good morning, and thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. Can you start by telling us your name and a bit about your background in racing?

Luath Gaoth’s Team Driver: Good morning, my name is James MacGregor, and I’ve been racing professionally for about a decade now. I started out in karting when I was young, and then I worked my way up through the ranks of touring car racing before moving on to endurance racing.

Interviewer: That’s an impressive background. Can you tell us a bit about your experience driving the Luath Gaoth so far?

James MacGregor: Absolutely. I’ve been testing the car extensively over the past few weeks, and I have to say that it’s an incredible machine. The handling is precise, the power delivery is smooth, and the brakes are absolutely top-notch. I’m really excited to see what this car can do on the track.

Interviewer: That’s great to hear. How do you think the Gaoth will stack up against the competition in the LMDh category?

James MacGregor: Well, I don’t want to give away too much, but I can tell you that the Gaoth is definitely a force to be reckoned with. We’ve been putting in a lot of work to optimize the car’s performance, and I think we have a real shot at taking home some wins this season.

Interviewer: Can you tell us a bit about the team behind the Gaoth? What makes them stand out from other racing teams?

James MacGregor: Absolutely. The team at Luath is really something special. They’re a small but highly skilled group of engineers and mechanics who are incredibly passionate about racing. They’ve put in countless hours of work to make sure that the Gaoth is the best it can be, and their attention to detail is truly impressive.

Interviewer: That’s great to hear. Finally, do you have any words for the fans who are eagerly anticipating seeing the Gaoth on the track?

James MacGregor: I would just like to say that we appreciate all the support we’ve been getting from fans around the world. We’re working hard to make sure that the Gaoth is a car that people can be proud of, and we’re looking forward to putting on a great show this season. Thank you for your support, and we’ll see you at the races!

In conclusion, the reveal of the Gaoth LMDh has been a hugely exciting event for motorsports fans around the world. Luath has clearly poured their heart and soul into the design of this machine, and it is sure to be a highly competitive and eye-catching car on the track. We can’t wait to see what the future holds for the Gaoth and the Scottish manufacturer behind it.

Luath’s LMDh, will it be competitive?
By Emma Taylor for Motorsport Today

The recently unveiled LMDh car, the Gaoth, has stirred up excitement and anticipation in the world of motorsport. Developed by the Scottish manufacturer Luath, the Gaoth promises to be a formidable contender in the highly competitive LMDh racing series. But just how competitive will the Gaoth be, and what challenges will a competitor team face when racing against it?

To answer these questions, we spoke with a competitor team in the LMDh series, who wished to remain anonymous. The team spokesperson had this to say about the Gaoth:

“The Gaoth is an impressive machine, there’s no doubt about it. Its sleek design and advanced engineering are a testament to the skill and innovation of the Luath team. But whether it will be competitive on the track remains to be seen.”

The spokesperson continued, “We know that Luath has faced setbacks in the development of the car, and that they’ve had to redesign it multiple times. While this may have helped them address any issues, it could also indicate that they’ve struggled to get the car performing as they want it to. That said, we expect them to be a strong contender once they hit the track.”

So, what are the strengths of the Gaoth that may make it a competitive force in the LMDh series? For starters, the car is powered by a hybrid powertrain, which is a significant advantage in endurance racing. This allows the car to recover energy during braking, which can be used to boost acceleration when needed. Additionally, the car’s aerodynamic design and lightweight chassis are key factors that can impact its speed and handling.

However, the Gaoth may also face some challenges that could impact its competitiveness. One potential issue is the lack of track experience, as the car has yet to be raced. This could make it difficult for the team to optimize the car’s performance on different types of tracks and in varying conditions. Additionally, the car’s engine performance remains an unknown, and any reliability issues could impact its overall competitiveness.

Overall, the Gaoth has the potential to be a competitive force in the LMDh series, but it remains to be seen how it will perform on the track. The Luath team will no doubt work tirelessly to address any challenges they face and optimize the car’s performance. With their passion and dedication to the sport, the Gaoth is sure to be a force to be reckoned with on the track.

Thanks to the organiser for all the feedback so far, Matthew :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Because I do not think I’ll have enough progress on the actual automation version of the car done before the feedback deadline, I’m posting a drawn version of my design and livery game plan. I’m using a 2024 Midlands Astraea GTC as the base for a GTE/3 entry. It is a rather large car, and is rear engined(like most Midlands sedans). The vibe I’m going for is heavily inspired by the Bentley Continental GT3 car, meaning the car is going to be on the more tame side compared to the likes of the Huracán GT3 or Ferrari 296 GT3. There will be a graphic in the giant space I’ve left open on the side, but I’m keeping that part a slight secret for the time being. There will also be one on the hood in the vent dip, hence the very off center number on the hood. There are plenty of squiggles representing sponsor placement on the different panels. Keeping these things in mind, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Two specific detailing things I would like feedback on are the cooling fans in the rear grill area(where the license plate would usually be) and the possibility of adding intakes wrapping around the c pillar. The rear fans are something that is available on the RX trim of the Astraea coupe and could possibly be used in homologation. They act similarly to the ones found on wrc cars for cooling. The intakes however aren’t found on any road versions of the car and are a historical nod from the '80s silhouette car I did for a AGC.

Not the most obvious here, but they wrap around the pillar to push air into the engine bay more efficiently than the porsche style under window intake. I’m not sure if they’d work on a more tame design than the '80s one, and feel like a strong departure from the production version. I know GTE/3 cars have some very modified bodywork, but they still keep the overall shape and essence of the road car.

Reference for what i mean about rear cooling fans on wrc cars.

5/22 update

This is how far along I am with the actual body kit and base of the livery. I have the rest of the livery drawn out so it can be on there, but i’ll be fully seen on the final car and not before.

also idk how to get the tyre text to properly render. it stays blurry even at the highest settings and only focuses when i get super close, returning to blurry when i back away.

6 Likes

WRC does not run cooling package in the rear, you are mixing it up with rallycross. The reason for the rear cooling on them is the cars running so closely together that the front radiators would not get any airflow.

2 Likes

6 Likes

My understanding would be that this type of cooling wouldn’t work as the air pressure behind a gt car would be too low and if you were to be taking the air from inside the car somehow you would be drawing hot air out from the engine bay? Less of a problem for rallycross as the races are shorter and at lower speed, so less cooling required and a higher air pressure at the rear of the car due to the slower speeds, not an aerodynamicist so call me out if I am wrong but that would be my opinion.

1 Like

This is the exact reason my car would have them, due to being rear engined.

I saw this before posted, but I thought RX was still under the WRC banner. My point of including them was to show that the exist on some sort of race car, even though it is a different discipline.

2 Likes

Drawing hot air out the engine bay and into the radiators? To me the rear radiators make little sense. Why put radiators next to the engine and near the exhausts when you have so much real estate on the front half of the car. The packaging just seems odd to me.

Not through radiators. just an actual engine bay exhaust to keep bay temps physically down. The actual radiator is up front and gets push through air with how it goes through the front grill and out the hood. The fans don’t give extra downforce due to no wing surfaces being near enough, but do help keep things like the diff and gearbox at more optimal temps without liquid cooling options. Everything is packed pretty tight back there as is with a chonky V8, so more cooling is always better.

Additionally, according to GTE/3 FIA regulation documents, such fans aren’t illegal.

Sorry misread the rule, makes sense but I stand by my previous comments on general packaging ect

2 Likes

Fair. Midlands is rather unconventional in their packaging. Makes for very sporty sedans tho.

What?

The pressure thing makes no sense to me… The intakes for the cooling, if the package is in the rear, are most likely on the sides. The openings are aimed to the front. The grille in the rear is an outlet, to let the hot air out.

2 Likes

From what i understand, rx runs rear radiators to prevent damage to them given the nature of rx racing. WRC cars also have rear radiators and fans, specifically rally1, but for cooling the hybrid system.

2 Likes

7 Likes

livery in progress

2 Likes

REMINDER: The feedback deadline ends today!

I know we’ve been lagging on publishing the feedback, but hey, that’s why I set this deadline well in advance. So far, we have received feedback submissions from:

@BannedByAndroid (1)
@FrederikLenius (1)
@the-chowi (2)
@Rise_Comics (1)
@DrDoomD1scord (2)
@KenShiro (1)
@Prium (1)
@randomtuner (1)
@Lazar (2)
@Portalkat42 (1)

Again, if you wanna submit, please make sure to DM us the pics. Thanks for your continued patience.

1 Like

those two are besides the one you’ve already done feedback on, right?
just to make sure i sent everything right.

Yes, it’s not counting the one I already reviewed. You submitted one LMH and one more GT, is that right?

2 Likes