Sell on Monday, Win on Sunday [Finished]

…is it alright if I lie to myself and say that all y’all are making a point of only listing your best stats, and my cars are going to outperform in other respects? Because I am so going to lose…

Well, I know for a fact that I’m boasting only the hp and some of the best stats, that’s the idea of an advertisement poster :stuck_out_tongue:

Because we’ve all pretty much agreed not to reveal the important things, I have absolutely no idea how my car compares in terms of costs, comfort, reliability etc. I know I put myself at a disadvantage already by insisting on VVL in the engine family, then using the same engine family across all three models. But the temptation to VTEC that shit up was just too strong!

In my case, I put myself at a disadvantage by destroking the sport and race engines for more NA power in the eco. :wink:

Honestly, what I’m more worried about is that I started out with the race variant and trim - I feel as if I may have made one of those racers-disguised-as-normal-cars that the rules are designed to DQ. And not even made it that fast. :open_mouth:

[quote=“Packbat”]In my case, I put myself at a disadvantage by destroking the sport and race engines for more NA power in the eco. :wink:

Honestly, what I’m more worried about is that I started out with the race variant and trim - I feel as if I may have made one of those racers-disguised-as-normal-cars that the rules are designed to DQ. And not even made it that fast. :open_mouth:[/quote]

Heh, I started with the Eco variant, made the sports variant, and then molded the sports variant into the race car.

Do not fear Packbat, I am sure my pushrods will not be too OP.

And I’m not the only one using pushrods? I knew I should have gone with PAW’s traditional SOHC! :laughing:

(Small engine bay? That was my reasoning - pushrods have an advantage in undersquare i.e. long-stroked designs because they aren’t revved as high.)

And that’s precisely the thing that really trips me up, I rarely use undersquare engines so I never get the most out of pushrod engines as I could. But using cheap parts, a pushrod engine does make a certain amount of sense because I couldn’t even get all the power out of my destroked engine in the Eco variant due to losing too much reliability if I revved it too high. So in a way I made the engine with the race variant in mind, since that thing revs all the way to the moon :laughing:

hides all-forged internals under a rug

Yes! Cheap parts! Absolutely! :confused:

(they’re actually not that expensive, at least, not if you have a Forge works lol)

On that note, the review of my 1955 BRC car noted that it was a little strange I opted to use forged internals when we weren’t playing with very much power at all, but the resultant boost in smoothness does make for better driveability, and thus significantly better performance!

[quote=“Packbat”]And I’m not the only one using pushrods? I knew I should have gone with PAW’s traditional SOHC! :laughing:

(Small engine bay? That was my reasoning - pushrods have an advantage in undersquare i.e. long-stroked designs because they aren’t revved as high.)[/quote]

LHE uses OHV engines only as a sort of badge of honor, and sheer american stubbornness, and has two primary engine family which are technically the same engine family due to design philosophy. (similar to Fords Modular engine plants, but taken up a notch.)

And yes, all of LHE’s motors are undersquare :slight_smile:

I don’t know what you guys mean by undersquare engines but I can certainly join the debore club by droping half a liter from my engine!

@Riso: An undersquare engine is an engine where the stroke is longer than the bore. It’s lighter than an engine of the same displacement that is square (bore equal to stroke) or oversquare (bore larger than stroke) and it has slightly less knocking all else being equal, but a longer stroke means it is less smooth-running and that the parts start losing reliability at lower revs. Since revving the nuts off is one of the easiest ways to increase the power output of an engine at a constant displacement, this is a pretty significant disadvantage for race purposes.

How about some Astonishing curves? (get it, the car model is the Astonish… /ducks)

Only the curves, no numbers.

:smiley:

:smiling_imp:

17-21 entries recorded so far by my count of the OP. The rules seem to be written for a field of 32-46 entries, so odds seem good that we’ll hit that target. :slight_smile:

Probably not. The main reason why Leo made that rule is so people can’t enter a full on racing platform that dominates racing but requires basic interior + no radio to fit within the eco class budget.

While I am not using my racing engine in my eco car (2L V6 is a bit mad for a crappy econobox :laughing: ), I tuned it initially in a way that made my racecar as fast as possible, and I then detuned it for the roadcar, installing mufflers, a more sensible intake setup and reducing the caminess a little bit.

Indeed, packbat. There are a couple of limits, firstly my calculations are designed to work with 40 cars (but it should be easily expandable, if necessary) and, secondly, brobot has a 38 car limit, so those two numbers were the ones I had in mind. However, considering the turn up to the most recent challenges, 30 cars seems to be a good estimate.

Also, trackpad is right there. I didn’t want people to make -15 quality, fibre glass, double wishbone suspended cars. It would kill the purpose of the challenge a bit, in my mind.

In traditional Honda style, I VTEC’d up a hatchback riding on double wishbones (although appearance-wise it looks more like a cross between a BMW and an Audi). Exceeds 100hp/L even in street tune. For the more sedate driver, the base model returns a fuel efficiency exceeding 6L/100KM without sacrificing creature comforts.

Unfortunately I can’t stop Automation from constantly crashing out when saving, so I won’t be entering it. Tired of remaking the car over and over only for my work to be wiped halfway through.

[quote=“Sayonara”]In traditional Honda style, I VTEC’d up a hatchback riding on double wishbones (although appearance-wise it looks more like a cross between a BMW and an Audi). Exceeds 100hp/L even in street tune. For the more sedate driver, the base model returns a fuel efficiency exceeding 6L/100KM without sacrificing creature comforts.

Unfortunately I can’t stop Automation from constantly crashing out when saving, so I won’t be entering it. Tired of remaking the car over and over only for my work to be wiped halfway through.[/quote]

Just mash the save button on every change.

The cost limits are for materials or the total cost of the car?