[SIDE QUEST] The Big Balls Run ('84 Edition) AUTOBEAM

Really depends on the situation. A GNX might even be able to compete with some of the slower BB cars, but i think a GNX should very well be able to compete in MB.

1 Like

Alrighty, thanks for the info!

2 Likes

So, I guess it’s time to meet the fleet.

For BB, we have the RoadBurners Sidekicker. Turbocharged V12 sitting side-seat to the driver and navigator. Stupid amount of power, but not super fast. Definitely a road-going Hot Wheels car, though. (Note: Would look 1000% better with the fake blowers mod.)

For MB, there is the RoadBurners Thrust Bucket. Not super powerful, but this lightweight V8 missile has some attitude, a space-inspired body kit, and a rocket shoved up its ass. Prepare for Blast Off, because if this poor thing doesn’t end up on the moon, it probably will end up wrapped around a tree.

For SB, we have a concept car. The 1984 Bricksley CF85 was a concept to show what cars could look like in the future. Cameras for mirrors, a glass roof, magnetically-coupled wheels, but still powered by the venerable Bricksley 427 ci V8. Look out, because the Future is Here. (Warning: Painting the car silver will not let you go back in time. This is NOT capable of time traveling. It just looks futuristic… From a 1980’s point of view.)

3 Likes

What do you think the widest tire size for 84’ would be realistically? I’m thinking 205 do you think there were any wider? (the olds toronado of the year had 205/15/75’s)

2 Likes

Ive done a bunch of compacts from the time and sedans and i know that the average was about 185. Keep in mind that the countach had 345 in the back. It basically doesnt really matter, my beetle thing has 280 in the back. Because why not

2 Likes

We’ve got the BIGGEST… BALLS OF THEM ALL!

(hopefully?)

THE DESERT EAGLE

It’s only a pickup truck on the outside. Underneath is basically a scratch-built racecar. BIG BALLS BOOYYYEEE!

8 Likes

Some examples from 1985 (because I found that book first, I have the 1984 one too but hardly much of a difference) regarding tyre sizes:
Volvo 760 Turbo - 195/60R15
VW Golf GTi - 175/70R13
Toyota Celica Supra - 225/60R14
Porsche 911 Turbo - 205/55R15 - 225/50R15 (staggered)
Mitsubishi Starion - 215/60R15
Mercedes 500 SEC - 205/70R14
Lotus Esprit - 195/60R15 - 235/60R15 (staggered)
Ferrari 308 - 205/55R16 - 225/50R16 (staggered)
BMW M535i - 220/55R390 (TRX)
Audi Quattro - 205/60R15

4 Likes

For reference, I am running 225/50R16 tires up front and 265/45R16 tires in the rear - a necessity due to how far back I placed the engine.

1 Like

I think that is close to what the Testarossa ran (albeit that one was a bit higher in profile). Extreme for the era but not totally out of scope maybe.

2 Likes

None of my three are exactly sensible, but considering two of them are road-worthy Hot Wheels cars and the third is a one-off concept car… I think I can get away with that.

2 Likes

Starion (widebody, the good one) rocks a 205/55-16 F and 225/50-16 R staggered setup. IMO The Starion was one of the best looking early 80’s car. The MkIII Supra the best late 80’s (IMO), also that rocks 225/50-16’s square.

3 Likes

Joining the presentation with my 2 current entries (so far).

SB; No brakes

Last round, I submitted a car with very low power but very sharp handling. And what I found watching the stream is that BradLee would way underuse the car’s handling potential; he’d brake way too much going into the turn, and in the process lose a whole lot of crucial momentum.

Now, that was probably true of every car there, and is to be expected of someone driving a car for the first time; I don’t mean to suggest his time didn’t accurately reflect the car’s abilities or anything. But it did put a thought in my mind; what if I built a car without any brakes at all?

Well, here it is. A car with as weak brakes as Automation allows (still stronger than I’d like, but it is what it is). To make up for this loss, the car is capable of insane amounts of grip in the corners thanks to it’s high-quality slicks and over-the-top aero, and it comes with a very tight 5-speed manual for maximum engine braking. It certainly takes some strategy to drive, but I was able to do the Utah downhill in less than a minute with it so it’s certainly still drivable. :D

BB: Group B inspired

The more serious, though perhaps less interesting of the duo, this racecar is built on the same body & chassis as the SB car, but has this time been provided with A) actual brakes, B) six times the horsepower, and C) the best race parts money can buy. This agile little sprinter also has a Group B inspired visual design, complete with an appropriately spartan interior and a gloriously loud exhaust (although in engineering, it still matches the competition’s “road legal” requirements). It’s ready to compete with the best!

7 Likes

A ballsy strategy, that. I’m looking forward to seeing whether it’s a good one or whether that car ends up as badly up a tree as my three.

3 Likes

A GNX? nah... a GSF-X

We got some medium balls

Lombard (Valverde) GSF-X

papopepoparapirapapa

do you want to be cool and destroy rich kids in their ferraris but be stealthy and sleeper-y about it? What about a Twin-Turbo’d ALL-AMERICAN V6.

10 Likes

Hello everyone, decided to just pop in to ask how its going with the cars. To the people who recently sent their cars, i’ll check them soon. Ive been wanting to mess around with a bunch of games and do other things.
I myself have got some interesting stuff coming up, so im curious to see what others are coming up with!

1 Like

Well, first I have to finish the base version before I make the group B homologation model, but it is on the way. I think that it is easier than going the opposite way.

2 Likes

I have at least a medium balls car done, don’t think I’ll have time to do another one though

3 Likes

I have a draft design each for the SB and MB classes - the former a lightly breathed-on lightweight sports coupe and the latter a brawny V8 sports car - but I have more faith in my BB entry compared to those two. Those test builds have some promise, however, and I could still submit them in their respective classes if I want to.

2 Likes

fresh from CSr144 is the Valiant Laser 5.0

8 Likes

stares in ford capri

5 Likes