Sometimes they come back - Iso Rivolta back to life [OPEN UNTIL JAN 21, 2024]

**please switch to landscape mode if you're using a mobile device, cuz otherwise may look shit**
the griffon rises again
A NOT SO ORDINARY TASK
From motorcycles to microcars, Renzo Rivolta rode the crest of economic boom's wave with its motorcycles and the little and cute Isetta. But one day, in 1962, he changed his mind, so he started working on a high-end GT, maybe because he thought that somebody would have preferred his high-end cars instead of, let's say... those of Maserati or Ferrari, or Jaguar, or Aston Martin. And it did.
Despite being lasted only 21 years, the little carmaker managed to enter the F1 in 1973 with a young Frank Williams, but the economic crisis and the homologation problems were too hard to handle, and by December 1974, Iso Rivolta closed.
So...Why are we here, what are we supposed to?
Well, you are here to make sure this brand gets its second chance and imaging the perfect car for the great comeback. It's not about a restomod or another 1600 hp hypercar (....ahem Bugatti...). We need the people of this new Millennium to know - or remember - the boldness of facing better-known carmakers, and beating them on their own ground, being a GT or a clever but unique citycar.
Something that can set new standards and write a new chapter into automotive's history.
SOUL IS THE MAIN THING
As you probably know, in the logo we can receognize the spirit of the cars and what sort of emotions want us to feel, and Iso Rivolta is no exception. Being an eagle with the body of a lion, the Griffon has the majesty of these two animal, representing power, self-confidence and sense of being protected. The new car needs to exude this mix of feels. Also, the classic Italian coachbuilders' tradition was strong, so happened that engine, transmission and chassis came from other cars.
To make the challenge a bit more fun and free we asked the IMF to print money for us and fuck inflaction have the possibility to put more resources to the project, so you are as much free to design your own engine, as doing a replica of an existing one.
exterior
It might be corny, but this is one of the main and first ways in which you judge a car. We're talking about trying to preserve a classical European design linguage, and that doesn't mean that you car needs to look unnecessarily aggressive and angry. Remember that the concept of self-confidence can be well explainded looking at the front of an old BMW E39 5 Series for example. But afterall, we're living in an era of a mixed design philosophy, so you're not forced to hardly stick with 60s lines. Just keep in mind we're here to bring back a great Italian brand. You are free to present a new citycar or the next eye-watering GT.
tech-specs
Given the wide possibilities, it's all about you! But please use common sense, since we don't want to see a V16 microcar. And just because Koeingsegg can, that doesn't have to mean it's cool to have another 3 cylinders high-performance car, but if you motivate that (eg. environment, pleasure by pain and so on) it's going to be fine. Jokes apart, look for fuel economy and practicality for people cars, and drivability for GT, since it's not the racetrack the main place these cars will see.
interiors
I'm well awared of the troubles they can bring. And this is why they'll play a marginal role, but I cannot say that well-made interiors will be ignored.
safety
Just make sure the driver and the passenger won't die in a fireball. We are not TVR. There are better ways to save weight to be fair.
price
This stat has some relevance especially if you're looking at GTs or prestigious cars in general. We're planning to collocate our new vehicle under the maximum price of $300.000, so that we won't make some blokes near Modena angry.
BRAND INSPIRATIONS
Iso Isetta (1953)

Iso Rivolta GT300 (1962)

Iso Grifo (1965)

Iso Grifo 90 (1991)

Iso Rivolta GTZ (2021)

*last two models show were created after the official closure of the brand in 1974.
VALUABLE MODERN INSPIRATIONS
AM DBS GT Zagato (2019)

Bentley Continental GT (2021)

Renault 5 Prototype (2021)

FIAT 500e (2021)

submission details
A car presentation on this thread is needed, but FIRST focus on your entry, which you'll be send to me via DM. I'd like to discuss together for a week or so if there are doubts or you want to ask modifications before announcing the challenge as OPEN
naming convention
Model Name: Iso Rivolta - Your forum username
Trim Name: Free
Engine Model/Trim: Free
changelog/updates
SUVs and EVs allowed (see answers below)
Submissions opened December 6th
Challenge extended until next week
SUBMISSIONS CLOSES JAN 15/24
13 Likes

With CSC 62 still ongoing, this one is actually closer to CSC 61 in spirit.

I do not like drama, and I do not like pointless conversations. Much less so in other people’s posts. So I apologize in advance to aerobirb, the author of this forum post, as well as you since some of my words might sound harsh.

Other than stating THE MOST basic facts about something, stating your personal opinions in a way as if they were facts, pointlessly wanting to state obvious information like a sports car made in the 00s must be equipped with a 3 way high flow cat and what not, what contribution do you have in most of your forum comments?

Has it ever occurred to you that the amount of time you’ve proclaimed that the sky is blue during daytime has actually gotten into people’s nerves at times?

Has it occurred to you that what you said about CSC 62’s premise might have hurt the author? What about the challenge made you think that people are actively disliking it and therefore isn’t upto everyone’s taste? Are you sure you’re not just speaking for yourself? And besides there is not a single thing that caters to everyone’s tastes anyway, so why bother catering to the majority?

What joy do you get out of stating the obvious, or sharing a personal disapproval without any proper constructive feedback?

Again, I apologize to anyone who finds this response unnecessary, rude and melodramatic. But I think after witnessing several years of this behavior, someone had to call it out.

14 Likes

I found CSC 62’s premise to be too wacky for me, and hence was not even interested in entering it.

Even if you find it annoying, do you do this post out of the feeling that you’ll have the community on your side, or that you actually care about the matter?

What does it matter if he says the obvious, people can move on, the only reason why you say this is because you know people will agree with your sentiment and that you guys would talk behind his back about it and not actually confront him without some sort of public humiliation.

My question to you: Do you want psychologically mutate someone into your own liking just because you can’t seem to stand it? To use others as to project some sort of superiority?

I do not want drama, but I want this to be clear on how this vicious cycle of publicity calling out someone for something is not a way to act.

5 Likes

Just to confirm, these will be 2020 model year cars? Since the inspirations are from a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

At any given point of time, Wrekt has had more recognition and goodwill from the community than one could need. I can personally vouch he is not chasing clout here.

abg has been doing the whole “stating the obvious” thing for longer than I’ve been on here. It’s old old. Hell, he recently tried to tell me all about the Chrysler LHS just because I mentioned longitudinal FWD. Sure it didn’t ruin my day or anything, but every interaction we have is strange; and he’s mentioned limiting catalytic converters to 3-way more times than I’ve said the word “Texas” in my entire life. It’s at least justified of us to seek an explanation of some sort.

13 Likes

Could the new Iso be an EV?
Considering Rivolta bought the “Isothermos of Bolzaneto, a factory producing electric heaters and chillers” to start the motorcycle business, and Iso’s demise at least in part being interlinked with the big Oil Crisis. And the “trend” to revive more or less dead brands with EVs nowadays.
Not saying I want to go that route, but it crossed my mind.

For a short lived manufacturer, Iso sure has a colorful history, reflecting a different age. From the failed microcar that succeeded in Germany instead, to F1 participation (with custom road cars for their drivers), and my favourite, the “christmas present for the wife” Iso Lele.

Regarding the "unnecessary, rude and melodramatic" (IMHO) post

If you need to begin an end a post with a conditional apology, maybe consider not posting it at all. DMs exist for a reason. Or make a “call out behaviour that annoys me”/rant thread in Off Topic if that’s the sort of forum people want.

While you had a point regarding how CSC62 was originally mentioned, the rest read like an uncalled for Twitter Rant, contributing nothing to the topic and (although presumably unintended) derailing it.

I suppose I’m too new here for my opinion to matter, but I find no issues with his posts in general. I see more than “3 way cats” - relevant questions, congratulating winners, cleanly run challenges, trivia (old to some, new to others) and the more or less relevant references. “Small talk”, you know. This game & forum is old, it is inevitable some content, be it challenges or posts in general, is recycled.

5 Likes

So, If I’m getting the point of the challenge correctly, we’re fairly open on what we’re allowed to make with whatever wins effectively setting the new direction for the brand’s revival?

Is it limited to GTs and city cars, or possibly other designs? I’m getting mixed message sfrom the OP.

Ffuts Amard Siht No

WARNING: I have not been on the forums long enough to decisively say anything. The following statements are based on my experiences while a member of this forum.

Wrekt’s point of abg insulting Maxbombe was absolutely valid and needed to be said.

The rest is well, controversial. It isn’t breaking the forum rules. It could be a series of obsessive clout-grabbing. BUT, regardless, it isn’t hurting anyone. It’s not harmful or disruptive behaviour. It can be annoying and possibly out of touch, but it’s just a minor character flaw. We all have them. We all have major flaws as well, but those are things that need to be addressed in full. This doesn’t. Maybe a small interaction along the lines .

But this shit? If this happened in real life and these words were spoken this would be at very least overly agressive, if not bullying. This is a personal attack that was not warranted at all, let alone as a public statement. The criticism over the CSC comment was needed. Some gentle and honest criticism about abg’s general behaviour could have been helpful. This is not.

Wrekt’s point of abg insulting Maxbombe was absolutely valid and needed to be said.

To add, I know people get emotional sometimes. I know we get tired of eachother and irritable. That’s why we have apologies. I know there is history between certain members involved. That’s why we have the mental and emotional capacity to have these discussions.

2 Likes

I apologize for that, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

1 Like

I appreciate your apology to Max, that’s the whole reason why I even posted.

The rest of my response stemmed from accumulated frustration over the years because of your… communication patterns. It wasn’t aimed at you personally but rather at the general issue. You still haven’t answered any of my other questions, possibly because just like everyone else, you thought those questions were meant to insult you and not legitimate curiosities about your consistent “water is wet” statements.

And in the only question you addressed, you called his CSC round “Wack”. Well fuck creativity I guess, let’s all make 90s sports cars. Either way, I’ll apologize to Aerobirb once more and move on from this.

10 Likes

Since I’m new to the forum, I really don’t know what happened to some of the gentlemen here, but I’d like they keep these sort of things/criticism in private, as I’m not sure other people are interested in…
Now let’s try to answers at some of the question.

1. @Fayeding_Spray Yup, u got it right. Capture the essence of the brand and bringing it to 2024 is the main thing
  2. @Restomod I won’t bin your electric crossover if well thought and with a clear intent despite i hate SUVs and i want them all to burn. But do remember that the brand was mostly famous for Gt and microcar/citycar. Just think that this company has been asleep for the last 50 years, so what can make people turn their own head and say “50 years of waiting, but God it was it worth it!”. Consider also the social impact of a car (eg FIAT 500, Mini, VW Beetle) made for the people, as today finding a good car on sale for less than $25k here in Europe is pretty hard.
  3. @xsneakyxsimx The most recent year you can select on Automation. We can’t have 2024 as year selection in the game, but we’re talking about something that IRL would go on sale the next year, so choose quality sliders and option which can be considered realistic in the time we live.
  4. @Ludvig It’s hard to judge an electric engine since Automation doesn’t give us the possibility to design one :sweat_smile: . But considering the past activity of the factory and the current trend (that one can love or hate), I can tolerate an electric build. Stuff like safety, chassis, suspension, and weigth balance will have a major role in this case, to make sure we can simulate the behaviour of a proper EV.
    And lastly…
    Apology well accepted @GetWrekt01
9 Likes
As no other question or doubt I see, I can declare
SUBMISSIONS OPEN !!
I hope you'll have fun, and remember you have time to submit your car until January 8th 2024
1 Like

The Grifo A3/C and Iso Rivolta VGT may be good inspirations also:

4 Likes

Can’t argue with that :open_hands:, especially thinking about what GMA and De Tomaso did with thieir last cars…these futuristic lines mixed with 60s vibes are truly valid ispirations

4 Likes
IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Given the sheer amount of intersting challenges these first days of 2024, and so far not a single submission or a picture of a W.I.P. of some sort, I've decided to extend the challenge until
Monday, 15th January at 00:00 CET.

Not to be rude, but I think most people are facing burnout at this point in time and lots of other challenges were being run during this challenge’s inception. Also, most people returning from Christmas break are busy doing school or work. I know that there has been banter which has probably unjustly ended the take-off for this challenge as most people here on the form all walk away or refuse to enter something with lots of heat which I will admit that I joined in on.

I think it’s best if you go to Discord to then paste a link to this challenge to bring awareness of the challenge. As usual, I don’t say this in ill intent, but there seems to be silence in the room.

This is quite a challenge, unfortunately came with the upcoming winter vacations and started with one hell of a rant which draw a lot of attention, maybe taking it (partially) away from the actual challenge. Honestly time is not by side this last period so I had to rethink the possibility to submit something… But do not give up, people showed interest in this thread, and surely one these days something will come :wink:.
Maybe promoting in some way the challenge in order to give it a bit of boost on Discord could be a good choice as @happyfireballman has mentioned.