The 1989 6k Championship (Epilogue - End of Season Awards, part 2)

Round 1 - Road Atlanta 5h Podium

Winner:
The StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8

On lap 9 this AWD V8 turbo with 423 hp already had to come in to the pits to check the engine and it would have to do so 8 times more during the the rest of the race, but this extremely easy to drive car proved to be fast and consistent.

2nd place:
Seongu Kando II Endurance 89

Absolutely no reliability issues meant that you don’t need the horsepower to get a podium finish. This FWD V6 Hatch with 197.2 hp managed to reach the end with only a few mistakes and 2 pitstops which cost it in total 1m35s.

3rd Place:
Zephorous Speedrunner

Mechanical issues in the first half of the race meant some time lost which may have cost this FWD I4 turbo the 2nd place. It was, unlike for most of the other participants, an uneventful race with a steady pace and only 1 pitstop and 179 laps completed.

Full results very soon…

5 Likes

Lol, looks like I forgot to update the decals on the drivers side, I just mirrored them. :joy:

Anyway, 2nd place is more than I expected with that fridge after seeing the other entrants. :partying_face:

3 Likes

Full results - The 5 hours of Road Atlanta:

position laps completed car notes
1 202 StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8
2 186 Seongu Kando II Endurance 89
3 179 Zephorus Speedrunner
4 178 Ganner Glave SRB Tuning
5 173 ZED Batwing
6 168 FMC Racing Spec Runner
7 164 Supersnabb Vizok Svoboda 89m Crashed out around 4.5h into the race
8 119 Paixão Vulcão GTA After having permanent suspension and brake damage since lap 80 it ended up spinning out and retiring around 3h40m into the race
9 113 Mjukost Sport On the 13th time it got off track, it did not managed to return to it again
10 91 FMR StreetSport Xtreme This one survived 13 spins but the 14th keep it out of the race permanently
11 89 Totally Stock V12 Baybee Crashed out 2 laps after pitting for fuel
12 80 HPB Przeno Helios Crashed around the same time as the V12 Baybee, but on a different part of the track
13 78 KBF F8 R It had already been to the pitlane 7 times for various mechanical issues. Maybe that led to the lapse of concentration that caused the crash at just a bit over 2h or racing.
14 69 Centauri Quark CPV v6 An otherwise consistent effort was thrown away when it crashed with less than 2h into the race
15 62 Formula Jank Turbo The very unreliable fastest car on the grid went back to the pits for various repairs and adjustments 12 times before the engine smoking up in flames around 1h45m into the race
16 28 OMG Otari GRX Crashed 50 mins into the race
17 27 Valentine VOLSTAR-R Crashed 48 mins into the race
18 17 Undriveable V12 turbo The aptly named ‘Undrivable’ sent its V12 to dig a hole in the gravel pits but not before smoke being seen coming out of the engine some laps before.
19 10 Cordelia VTP Remaro Edition The most unlucky which would set up this crash-fest of an event, crashed with not even 30 mins into the race

This race was marked by how difficult it was for the drivers to adjust to the track leading to an unexpected number of accidents. Hopefully this will mean that for the next round the drivers will be more alert and more in tune with their cars.

Next up:
LAKESIDE RACEWAY - 3 Hours

6 Likes

Wow! Exciting. Looking forward to the next race!

1 Like
Let me guess what happened on lap 164...

That’ll buff right out

3 Likes
Well... It didn't end well...

1 Like

He would probably be safe if the trees weren’t in the way :rage:

Man my entry is slow. It handles really well so I suppose it’s characteristics are like a mid-engine first-gen Miata. Those updates back to back really mucked up my performance profile. Still running without an incident yet, though! Silver lining for now.

1 Like

Round 2: The 3h of Lakeside Park, Australia

It’s a much smaller track than on the previous round and according to the free practice session almost everyone is lapping under 1 minute and the midfield is pacing very very very close to each other. There also seemed to be a direct correlation between lateral grip and lap time.

Here’s the best laps for each of the cars once again:

7 Likes

Yes I know, but I am not dead nor is this competition forgotten.

On the contrary, I have finished programming a simulator which will make simulating the rounds very very speedy.

Also, I have finished the simulation for this round too but it’s way way late now so you’ll have to wait for the results write up tomorrow. A total of 2892 laps were individually simulated and the drivers were much more careful this time which resulted in less retirements.

2 Likes

SECOND ROUND RESULTS:

This track is known for being twisty with lots of fast corners and the winner of this race was pulling over 2g of lateral force on them. It was pulling off the fastest lap times and loads of pit stops. Unlike the previous round, where it was the only car force to retire due to mechanical issues, it managed to pull off a win just one lap ahead of the 2nd and 3rd placed cars!

The winner, with the #69, The Formula Jank Turbo:

It had to refuel twice and had to get to the pits for technical adjustments 21 times, still, its raw speed sealed the deal at Lakeside.

2nd place, just 1 lap behind, the Mjukost Sport:

This one managed to not need to refuel and the engineers were happy to see that it only needed to come over to the pits once for some quick repairs. A very consistent race nailed a very deserved 2nd place

3rd place: on the same lap as the 2nd, the winner of the first round, The StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8

It was clear on 2nd place but on lap 197 something started sounding wrong and it spent about a minute and a half in the pitlane and then failed to catch the Mjukost. However a 3rd place after a win still means that it is number 1 on the overall standings.

Full results:

Position name laps_completed notes
1 Formula Jank Turbo 202
2 Mjukost Sport 201
3 StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8 201
4 Totally Stock V12 Baybee 195 no technical issues but plenty of driver mistakes especially in the 1st half of the race.
5 Seongu Kando II Endurance 89 190 A very consistent race but 5 trips to the mechanics cost it some time
6 Zephorus Speedrunner 188 Also a very consistent race and the crew will ask itself if those 2 trips to the pits very close to the end of the race did not cost it an overall position
7 Supersnabb Vizok Svoboda 89m 184 very few trips to the pitlane helped the not so fast Vizok to a respectable end result
8 Ganner Glave SRB Tuning 183 The Glave was on pace for a better standing but a lapse in concentration had it crash before completing the lap number 184, for the relief of Supersnabb
9 HPB Przeno Helios 181 The Helios had a neck and neck race with the Batwing and even though it spent considerable time in the pitlane, it managed to beat its rival by just 1 second!
10 ZED Batwing 181 They had the pace to beat the Helios but a very small slip-up on lap 179 saw him take a too wide corner which cost it 5 secs and also saw the Helios overtaking him.
11 Centauri Quark CPV V6 177 After a good 1st third of the race, it suffered permanent which could not be fixed, it still went on, but on a slower pace. Plenty of small mistakes also cost it some time.
12 OMG Otari GRX 172 Slow and steady gets a midfield position. Not many mistake, not many issues.
13 Valentine Volstar-R 167 After nailing 20 perfect laps, it made a terrible mistake and ended up on a barrier with broken suspensions
14 Paixão Vulcão GTA 160 Loads of small mistakes culminated in a loose wheel after a not so small mistake
15 Undriveable V12 Turbo 134 The Undrivable was doing a good job of staying on track while getting to the pits way too often due to technical issues. Got permanent damage around lap 110 and then proceeded to forget to do a fast cornet
16 FMC Racing Spec Runner 57 Maybe it’s something about brands stating with FM but these two put up a nice racing display until getting entangled and putting each other out of the race
17 FMR StreetSport Xtreme 57 see above
18 KBF F8 R 42 The very fast KBF got carried away early in the race, literally
19 Cordelia VTP Remaro Edition 12 The unlucky car this round was the Cordelia which naturally crashed on lap 13

Next Round: Bathurst, Australia

7 Likes

CURRENT STANDINGS AFTER 2 RACES:

points car
31 StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8
26 Seongu Kando II Endurance 89
24 Zephorus Speedrunner
22 Mjukost Sport
20 Ganner Glave SRB Tuning
18 Supersnabb Vizok Svoboda 89m
18 Formula Jank Turbo
17 ZED Batwing
17 Totally Stock V12 Baybee
11 HPB Przeno Helios
10 FMC Racing Spec Runner
10 Paixão Vulcão GTA
7 Centauri Quark CPV v6
6 FMR StreetSport Xtreme
4 OMG Otari GRX
3 KBF F8 R
3 Valentine VOLSTAR-R
1 Undriveable V12 turbo
0 Cordelia VTP Remaro Edition

and on to the the next…

The 7 hours of Mount Panorama, Bathurst, Australia

Here are the best laps from the practice session:

This is a long classic track with a very tricky windy mountain section and some long straights. Agility helps through the former while raw power gets you by the latter in no time. And some cars have both.

4 Likes

Round 3 Podium - 7 Hours of Bathurst

1 - StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8
2 - Mjukost Sport
3 - Seongu Kando II Endurance 98

Full results and standing to follow…

3 Likes

Full Results for round 3 - The 7 Hours of Mount Panorama, Bathurst, Australia

Car Lap Completed notes
StiggyRacing Mawzda EX-8 183 another nice uneventful race with 3 pitstops almost no mistakes and just a few mechanical issues which were promply solved gave it the 2nd win of the season. This one is the car to beat as a it stands
Mjukost Sport 180 With better fuel economy than the winner(only 2 pitstops) but with 19 driving incidents and 7 trips to fix something in the pitlane. Still a fast pace gave it the 2nd place
Seongu Kando II Endurance 89 172 4 fuel stops and also 4 mechanical pit stops. Not much else though and once again this not super fast car gets a podium
KBF F8 R 170 Finally finishing a race but once again but marred with tecnhical and driving issues. Already since lap 33 it needed to go a bit slower to not overheat the engine.
Ganner Glave SRB Tuning 167 Not a bad position but once again, close to the end, it crashed. Very fuel efficient, only needed one refuel.
Zephorus Speedrunner 164 Not managing to capitalize on the crash of the Glave, mainly due to getting some damage when it went way too wide on lap 108
HPB Przeno Helios 156 On lap 33 it jumped a bit too much on a curb which compromised it’s brakes, leading to slower laps times since then. Plenty of driver mistakes cost it in total 2 minutes and 40 seconds
FMR StreetSport Xtreme 155 Halfway around lap 82 it got some damage which also caused a slower 2nd half of the race. Only 2 refuels, but many more stops due to mechanical issues
Centauri Quark CPV V6 155 Besides the 4 refuel stops, twice this car got permanent damage due to not being able to stay on track which made it seem much slower than what it is capable. Not to mention the almost 4 mins lost to various mistakes. It finished 2 minutes behind the Streetsport.
Supersnabb Vizok Svoboda 89m 152 This car dragged itself to the finish line. By the time it crossed the finish line, it was going around 90 secs slower per lap than its first 62 laps. Only one refuel though.
Paixão Vulcão GTA 152 Also suffering from unsolvable issues which was making it go slower but not as bad as the Supersnabb. What was much worse were the amount of times it needed to pit to resolve solvable problems. It finished 1m45s behind its competitor and all that time was lost in the last 15 laps due to a mix of issues.
FMC Racing Spec Runner 149 17 seconds ahead of the Batwing, the specrunner started losing some pace around lap 49 but a faster pace with no mistakes towards the end of the race saw it overtake the Batwing with 2 laps to go.
ZED Batwing 149 Things started looking not so good around lap 66 and then they got worse 6 laps later when the engine started delivering less and less power. 2 refueling pit stops and not many driving mistakes.
Cordelia VTP Remaro Edition 144 Another one that ended up pacing much slower at the end than it could at the start. Loads of small driving mistakes cost it a lot of time in the end. A very clean end of race saw it finish ahead of the Undriveable.
Undriveable V12 Turbo 144 It survived, but it was going about 45 secs slower on the last laps comparing to starting ones. It needed 20 trips to the pitlane for repairs to manage it though
Totally Stock V12 Baybee 143 it did 65 very fast laps and then things started to slow down. The V12 was too unreliable and difficult to tame and it crossed the finish line pacing over 4 minutes
Valentine Volstar-R 142 Got into trouble very early in the race and was never competitive because of that, failing to taking advantage of the Totally Stock’s troubles crossing the line just about 1 minute behind it
OMG Otari GRX 112 Not many incidents, but went they happened, they hurt. A big spin on lap 52 set up the bigger crash on lap 112
Formula Jank Turbo 32 What can we say, it’s the clear fastest car but it had issues finishing a race. The longest race of the calender was were the Jank was more likely to not finish.

Next Race: The 6 hours of Brands Hatch, UK.

3 Likes

Any idea how many pit-stops the Volstar needed for its 142 laps?

Can I get a mid-season engine swap and maybe…idk, I just don’t know why I’m so freaking slow.

The workers at HPB are very happy with Helios’s performance!

1 Like

The Volstar needed to pit every 37 laps on this track, so three pit-stops in total.

Standing after 3 rounds:

sorry but no. Indeed you car has the 2nd lowest power of the lot and it sits in the mid of drivability and reliability making it somewhat uncompetitive, but it did do ok on the first race and it looks pretty nice.
If I do another competition of these sort(probably I will since I already programmed something for it now, I might as well use it and improve on it) I’ll maybe allow adjustments