The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

finally managed to do some actual decent ads. albeit im still plagiarising some actual manufacturer
namely, Aston martin DB and the 300ZX ads.
although thx to @thecarlover for the instruction. i just remembered about ‘paint .net’
i could do some decent stuff with that, for free.

[size=50](the freaking gradient alone took me about 30mins though)[/size]

i really went all out in this car, also spent too much time on those DRL lip lamps.
i hope you give it some love 8bs :slight_smile:

14 entries so far. though some have not yet been checked.

Nice ads so far! Plenty to choose from!

Presenting the Mott Works Electron T.E.S.

The electron is a small front wheel drive car designed to be both fun and practical. The TES version, standing for turbo eco sport, features a 1.4L turbocharged inline 4 developing 110hp and giving you over 41mpg.The power is transferred to the wheels via a 4 speed manual. Acceleration is modest but with thin hard compound tires it is still a very fun car to drive even at normal road speeds. The looks of the car are very striking with aggressive lines, flared wheel arches, and advanced LED headlights you will be sure to turn heads as you drive by.

1 Like

First of all, well done you guys for trying to make the best possible with the budget. Challenges help us to build better cars.

In the following reviews I tried to describe the cars based in the main stats, based on your description of the car, and a bit of fantasy/fiction was used, sometimes exaggerated probably.

I tried to highlight the good stuff and the not so great stuff, and all that was offered to me with the budget. Also, tried to describe what options taken to achieve the purposes of the challenge and what options were made. Some suggestions in certain cases. Hope nobody takes it personal, we are here for fun!

(Absolutely Fiction mode on…)

My budget was limited. 12.500 was nothing, and i had the tough task to go for a squeezed deal:
“A small nice looking sporty car for 2 people, economical, reliable, with a hint of comfort and safety.”

What could I buy with this budget?? What manufacturers could offer me with that budget?

So, i went on the internet…and this was on it:

16 car manufacturers who had a very promising proposal for my squeezed budget, and willing to satisfy my needs!

After downloading all the 16 brochures of the cars, and since there were so many, I started to search for reviews in the internet about them, and choose all the ones which can possibly interest me for a test drive.

16th: Rado Hatch-7, 2008 trim DX.
Price: 12.240

Simple design, 5 seats basic interior made with cheaper materials, basic cheap CD player, power steering, ABS, traction control, ESP, and all kind of airbags that could fit in the car! The engine is a 12v 1.7L, has plenty of torque, coupled by a very bad automatic 4 gearbox. The brakes also needed some attention. It was slow.

It was a safe city car, under the budget, reasonably comfortable, but nothing sporty about it. Burns regular fuel, but, 8.4lt/100km was a lot, so as running costs comparing with competition. It wasn’t the car I was looking for.

15th: Facciamo Empire FTL.
Price: 13.600

A very small car, standard interior, standard CD player, ABS, Traction Control, and an dual stage driver and passenger, seat, curtain and knee airbags! There were more airbags than the car itself! The “cage” has been improved too. Not bad! But there’s more: Active comfort suspension w/ active dumpers. What about that!!

The mid placed engine was a tiny 400cc turbocharged, and for my surprise, it comes with a 6 speed dual clutch sequential gearbox and a Geared LSD differential

A review I read on the internet, in the “Drop Gear” e-magazine:

The engine coughs 60hp and 65,2nm….@6400! Yes, the turbo was tuned to spit out all it’s fury too late. There was huge lag since 0 to 5500 rpm, and then it kicks 1,44 bar@6400rpm! Oh dear…So, when the engine started to run, the road was already ending…and then i didn’t hit the brakes, because I was going too slow. Drum brakes all around, with fully aggressive shoes in the front, still some brake fade. 114km/h top speed and 18s from standing still to 100 km/h. And the most important thing, they forgot the mufflers. It was LOUDDD …

So, a very small easy to park comfortable car, with improved safety, and unique features. More expensive than others and with all that fancy stuff, but not quite the lag, I mean, the car I wanted.

14th: CMC Play Green.
Price: 13.500**

The brochure car was painted in an electrifying green, and i was as shocked as the car was!! :smiley:

I find out a review on Bloop Gear e-magazine:

Simple basic 4 seater with very doubtful materials, and a very cheap 2 speaker cd player. Driver and passenger dual stage airbags, ABS and ESP as standard. Ok with that, for the budget. The rear doors had a sliding system. It was a nice and practical touch! The engine was a small, quiet, yet smooth, the L4 0,8L direct injection turbo charged. With 62hp, 98,5nm@3000rpm, sounded good for 891kgs of car…but it wasn’t! And with only 4 manual gears, it was even worst! 14s 0-100km/h, 140km/h top speed. Aluminum panels, geared LSD, direct injection, turbo charger and an advanced catalysator system, all things unusual for this type of car. I mean, there are some expensive features that could be avoided without compromising the overall set! And the 12" wheels were devoured right on the first bump of the road!

Small on the tape measure, low fuel consumption, safety, practical, not sporty, expensive and with a very tiny 12” wheels…I mean, my dog would eat them!
It was a day-to-day commuter car, simple as that! But i was searching for a spicy kind of thing.

13th: Mott works Electron T.E.S.
Price: 12.463

Very futuristic well designed sedan, with 4 seats, basic interior, but poor equipment. The engine is good, an L4 turbo charged, direct inj. 1.4L with 110hp, lots of torque right on the very start, and good fuel economy (5.68L), runs on regular, and with low running costs.

The car it self was too big for my proposals, and it had a rear solid axle with coils. Not too good for the kind of car I wanted. 4 manual gearbox seems a thing of the past along with very thin tyres. This engine deserved a better car!

Low price, nice running costs, nice engine, but competition had better proposals for my needs.

12th: Transport Automobiles, C-Line 10C.
Price: 12.600

The car in the brochure was blue and it looked classier than sportier. Long bonnet, long body, ending in a square rear powered by Leds. It was a rear engine car.
Included in the price was a 4 seater standard interior made with a few cheaper materials, basic cd player with basic features, and a single driver airbag, along with power steering, ABS and Traction Control, and even a rear view camera! Well, the rear camera was a nice touch because the car measures 4,55m, bumper to bumper… 6,5lt/100km, was good and low running costs too.

I found out a review on “C’mon Gear” e-magazine:
“Time to hit the road. Turned the key and the rear mounted 2.0 Dohc 16v EFI L4, combined with a manual short 5 speed gearbox, pushed the 1.2tons through the rear wheels. 9.1s from 0-100km/h, and a top speed of 207km/h. ok with that! The vvt + vvl engine was ok, and it let me choose between 2 powerbands, one for normal use and one for sportier proposes witch started at 3800 rpm until the injection cut at 5900 rpm. And since this version was fitted with a performance air filter, i could do all that in the company of a nice snoring. The first corner appeared and I felt the front being push to the inner line of the road (as expected) by the rear wheels. Lifting the gas pedal and the rear begins to appear in the side mirror, but not too much. Wide tyres and semi active sway bars helped along with traction control. Although, for me, ESP would be nice to minimize that, since my driver abilities weren’t that great taming the fishtailing of the animal. Still was a good fun, and a proper ballsy man’s car, but too much for me. ”

Cheap, economic, lacks drivability, comfortable enough, fun, but too big for my squeezed city.

11th: ABR designs, Bee.
Price: 12.480

It looks aggressive! Cool styling, it was like a concentrate juice between a Lambo and Smart fortwo.

Standard interiors with all you could get for it’s price. But there were no CD player, and it only comes with a driver airbag, ESP and ABS.

I’ve read a review on “Drop Gear” e-magazine:
“The juice of this car was concentrated under the bonnet: a 1.2L V12 Mohv Spfi vvt 24v. 89hp, 108nm@4400rpm, sounded good for a miserable 592,6kgs of total weight! It’s an aluminum feather powered by an iron V12 missile! And I understood why I didn’t need a CD player. That v12 sounds like a F1 car. Everyone, please step aside, because the angry bee is taking over!! Problem, that eco 135mm tyres didn’t manage that torque and power on the front wheels very well. They only stopped spinning when I reached 2nd…at 70 km/h…even with a better quality ones, which was the case. Then the first corner appeared, and 63% of the cars weight took the 135mm front tyres for a walk on the wrong side of the road! Yes, understeer hand in hand with the 135mm tyres and soft suspension. ESP was desperately trying to manage all that stuff, hard! Permission to say…”

Small car, cool looks, screaming engine. Not sure about those thin tyres and soft suspension.

10th: Smooth Caston CX18

Fancy looks in yellow, 4 seats standard interior, basic CD player, power steering, ABS, traction control, ESP, and double airbags.
Powered by a 1.8 vvt direct injection engine features 121hp and 164nm@4200rpm. 0-100km/h Less then 10s and top speed of 200km/h was enough. But somebody forgot the mufflers! My neighbours would kill me…

Fun to drive, economical (6.6Lt/100km) and low running costs. 4 seats, comfortable and safe, but loud.

9th: Schack Vertikal, v-R trim.

Long blue bodied coupé, nicely styled.

I find out a review on “Bloop Gear” e-magazine:
“Inside a standard 2 seater with some minor quality materials, basic cd player, power steering, ABS, Traction Control + ESP. Full airbags equipment. Under the bonnet an longitudinal squared 2.0 L4 sohc 16v with no fancy stuff, but built with better materials than the interior. 141hp and 193nm@4300rpm, and manual 6 gears driven by a viscous diff. With most of the torque available in the first half part of the engine’s regime, I still could stretch the snoring performance air filter engine beyond the 7000rpm, but It lacks some smoothness, and the short gear box shifting is a bit harsh. 0-100km/h in 7.9s, and a top speed more than 220 km/h.”

8.86 Lt/100km was a bit high, along with higher running costs. Fun to drive, reasonably comfortable.

8th: Storm Micron XT
Price: 12.390

A small cheeky emerald green blue car. Full standard 2 seater, basic cd player, power steering, ABS, traction control, ESP and all kind of airbags!

The “C’mon gear” e-magazine wrote:
*“The engine is a 1.0 L4 turbo VVT. 74hp and 108nm@3600rpm, to the rear wheels. Went for a drive and it runned smooth, almost 100% of torque @2600 rpm, and revs up to 8000rpm!! Super short gearbox and viscous diff, I’ve run out of gears instantly! Sometimes searching for the 6th… it was racing, nervous! 10s 0-100km/h, but just 160km/h top speed. Cornering was pretty good! One of the best so far! Feels very sharp, we sure can throw it to the bends without any problem. Everything under control. Hitting the brakes, was another kind of story. Drums all around, it stops the almost 1 ton for sure. But push them too hard, and they start to fade. Cruising above 100 km/h was a bit noisy due to it’s short gearbox.” *

Small, economic, comfortable, with good safety features. Too bad the too short gearbox.

7th: Kirk Xavier Turbo Econ
Price: 15.120

Great looks, a 2 seater with standard interior, basic CD player, power steering, and double airbags. Turbo charged 1.6L engine with 173hp promised 6.2s 0-100km/h and 210 top speed. Manual 5 gears.

“Drop Gear” e-magazine said:
*“the car is an all-aluminum panel, blow your brain with acceleration, but kills your ears with the noise!!! What? I can hear youuu!!” *

Fast and fun to drive, comfortable, safe, but more expensive than competition. Lacks some mufflers. My neighbors would kill me when I arrive home at 2:00 am…

After i select the ones for a test drive, i had 6 to choose:

6th: Bogliq Automotive Engineering.

Well known for building sport cars with an high level excellence. I knowed for the start that their cars are way out of my budget, and out of my league. But the extremely friendly dealer still was offering me a special price for the Coyote 2008 trim. Couldn’t refuse that!

And there was it: The “bogliq blue” Coyote.

Price: 18.400

Taking a good look at it and the first thing I’ve noticed was the big rear wing perfectly fitted in the whole conception of the car. I knew for the start that this was another universe, ruled by different laws than the others.

Front and rear black lips, black scoop and a nice bonnet details contrasting with the light blueness of the whole thing.

Inside, 2 sport seats combined with a nice fancy Sport interior. Standard CD, power steering, ABS and an airbag fitted in a fine leather trimmed sport steering wheel. 18” alloys, fitted with a low profile sport tyres to top match with the accessories of the body.

So, I was anxious and nervous to try this machine. Pressed the start button and fired up the L4 2.3 turbo charged engine. 251hp and 280nm@5600rpm, unleashes a mighty roar, snored by a performance air filter. Manual 6 gear box and a Geared LSD.

First gear and off we go, pressed the gas pedal and the turbo knocked 0,88 bars down to the rear fat 235mm sport tyres without any pity, and even without traction control, they didn’t care much about it. Stretched the first gear all the way up to 7200rpm, and in a moment i was way beyond the 0-100km/h 5,7s, taking the almost 1.3 tons of car to 200km/h in a mere 15s. The wings and lips, combined with a semi-clad undertray, glued the car to the ground, and the impeccably tuned MacPherson and semi trailing arms with gas shock absorbers, rocked me with 1.16g right in the first corner. 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, and then a 2nd, the growling of the mufflers sure was an inspiration to my ears. Cornering hard, hit the right pedal and the rear axle started tried to slip away in a perfectly controlled motion just to brag you about it’s superior dynamic settings, matched by an almost equal weight distribution. In a drift, left the corners to hit open road to reach almost 260km/h.

Sadly, with a smile on my face, I delivered the Itsuki TakeuchiD1GP car knowing that it was too much car for me and my budget and my needs. And what a great car for the price. Hats off.

Well, I’ll see you in my dreams…

5th: Solo Motors Co.

Time for a walk, and the first dealer was just around the corner.

Solo Motors Co.! First thing I’ve notice, was the showroom burning!! Wait…it isn’t burning. It’s the lava red Beaver Sport BM in the showroom!!
The friendly dealer received me, and he had so much to tell me about the car.

But my first look was to the 12.495 price.

The chap talked about the wide variety of colours, car’s practicality, and showed me that fancy sliding doors opening. Pretty cool!

The car looks good, looks sporty, and easily passes like a big sports car, with front and rear lips. Coming closer to the car i did notice, however, some painting issues, and a less cared fixtures assembly. Glad about the 5 yr warranty!

Inside, a very simple 4 seats basic interior. CD player with basic functions, power steering, ABS, traction control, and a driver airbag, all wrapped in an 17” alloy wheels, and a fully clad undertray. I started to realize where Solo Motors Co. had invested their money on this…

So, let’s take it for a ride then. Started the L4 1.1 dohc 16v turbo Di vvl + vvt engine. 106hp, 143 nm@4800 rpm, for 1.1 tons of corrosion resistance steel. It was quiet. I manually select the 1st of 6th gears and around 2200rpm the turbo boosts jumping from 80 nm to 143nm like a bullet, until the injection cuts you around 5600 rpm. Better to drive the small 1.1 between 3300 and 5600 rpm, where it promised me performance. Shifting gears was nice, Solo Motors Co, payed some attention to the gearbox. Short gears, driving feels sporty, the simple MacPherson-semi trailing arm suspension, with gas shock absorbers tuned accordingly, and an almost 50/50 weight distribution, helped me enjoying the corners. 198 km/h and 10,6s 0-100km/h, seems fair enough for the price also. And since it was fully cladded, it slides through the air like an air hockey disc!

On the slow side, the 6th rests the engine, and I can cruise around 120 km/h, right next door to Mr. booster banger. Feels a bit of laggy at lower speeds. In the end, 4,6lt/100km. Great!! And the best is that it runs on regular!

4th: Fase Sabina A42

The next dealer to visit was: Fase. Entering the showroom, i faced the Sabina A42 in blue.

First thing first, the price: 12.566

Very well stylized, although discrete, it was nice a small coupe. Coming closer i’ve noticed major flaws in the paintwork finishing. Seems that they spared some money here. But, the chassis was AHS steel, and it had double wishbones all around, a corrosion treatment in the panels, and a fully cladded undertray, explained the friendly dealer.

Included in the price was also a 4 seater basic, yet functional interior, basic CD player, power steering, ABS and a driver airbag. No alloys.

The power unit was a small L4 1.2L Dohc 16v direct inj. VVL + VVT intake, with 104hp, 115nm@5700rpm. Some attention given at the fuel system and recycling gases, to reduce emissions and improve fuel consumption.

Went for a test drive and the vvl + vvt combination allowed me to choose 2 running modes, an economical and a sportier. This time I was going for the second mode. The VVL kicked at 4000rpm and I stretched the engine all the way to 7000, the short manual 5 speed gearbox well suited to the engine, allowed me to enjoy every bit of this car. 9.8s 0-100km/h and top speed of 205km/h. Very smooth and very responsive. Hitting the brakes I could feel a strong and aggressive braking due to it’s aggressive pads. Cornering was ok, but the thin front eco tyres weren’t enough and some understeer appeared. But not much. I was getting too demanding for the budget…I’m a fool!! 1ton of car with almost 50/50 weight distribution, it slides through the road like the wind.

On a slower motion, the day-to-day car that I was searching, blessed me with a nice 4.7l/100km, and low running costs. Fun to drive, economical, comfortable, it is a very good contender for the Beaver, and for me, a bit more drivable.

3rd: Revera CS 2.6E

Right! Non, stop, let’s go for the third dealer.

It was Revera motors. My eye was catched by the CS 2.6 E. The entry level of their sports coupe.

Price: 12.947

The car in the showroom was in a dark blue. Pretty and discrete. Loved the rear lights detail. A well balanced design. It looked like an arrow! Beautiful.

Standard interior, the dealer opens one of the three cup holders and offers me a coffee. Comfortable enough, basic CD player, air con, 16" alloy wheels, power steering, dual stage passenger and driver airbags, ABS and ESP as standard.

Turned the key and that L6 symphony begins to rumble. 2.6 16v vvt efi 168hp and 235nm@3200 rpm. First gear, pressed the gas pedal and the rear wheels lifted the front like a crazy man laughing… evilly.

Responsive, grippy, very smooth, and fast. RWD with a sporty feeling on every move, coupled by an improved and well thought 6 speed manual gearbox, shifting gears was a delight! 7,5s 0-100km/h, 230 km/h top speed, improved aerodynamics, combined with a ladder (!) chassis, yep, something must be sacrificed for the budget! But still was a good work! MacPherson and Trailing arms, with all the simple stuff, does its job. The setup is somewhat a more sporty-comfy kind of thing, without breaking my backs. Cruising @ 120 the engine rests through a long 6th gear around 2500rpm.

In the end, it was a good impression. Very balanced, great engine. Running costs, and 7,5lt/100km are a bit high for me (but considering all the fun i could have), and only 500 above my budget. Much sportier and comfortable than the Beaver Sport BM and Sabina A42, although more expensive, but without compromising quality in certain features.

My heart was pumping. Was the coffee too strong? Or the CS really gets it going?

2nd: komodo Zygot XY

To calm down, i followed my plan and went to see another dealer. It was Komodo, and they had the Zygot XY, waiting there for me.

Price: 12.566

The small blue coupe, was a delight to my eyes. The front looked like a fearsome shark ready to hunt a prey. All the car was very pretty and discrete, just like I wanted.

Inside, a 2 seater standard interior, with basic CD player, power steering, ABS, traction control, ESP and 2 dual stage airbags. Alloys in the optional list.

Time to hit the road. Turned the key and the longitudinal mounted L4 2.0L 16v single point injection unit. With 173hp and 179nm@6000rpm, together with a manual short and well-tuned 5 speed gearbox, pushed the 1.2tons through the rear wheels. 7.4s from 0-100km/h, and a top speed of 232km/h. ok with that! The vvt + vvl engine was loudly screaming to me “pooowaaa” starting at 3800 rpm until the injection cut at 7800rpm. Fine cornering, very well tuned suspension, double wishbones all around, I could really throw the car to the corners, being one of the best so far.

Going more slowly, it was comfortable, fun do drive, with very good drivability, and safe. Although, 7.83L/100km was more than the others, and slightly higher running costs in the end.

1st: Dragotec Sagitta Urban

Entering the Dragotec dealer, I was received with confidence. Asked for the Dragotec Sagitta Urban.

Price: 12.772

It’s a beauty. Painted in a nice dark purple the car was full of interesting discrete details. The front lights give it the looks of an alien creature. Front lip, rear lip disguised as a wing. Rear lights also received a good design treatment. The overall looking of the car was discrete and pretty, and very hyper!

Inside, a 2 seater standard interior, along with basic cd player, power steering, ABS, ESP, and dual stage driver and passenger airbags. Nice 16” steel wheels fitted with fat low profile medium tyres.

Mid engine, L4 Dohc 16v VVT+VVL 1.7 Lt Multi point, married to a manual 6 gearbox. 160 hp and 158Nm@6300rpm. Turn the key and took the beauty to the road. Torque was a constant in this engine, and mostly important it let me decide what kind of use to give. Running quiet between 1000 and 4000 rpm, and then firing up the VVL and revving up all the way to 8700 rpm for a more sporty attitude!! And it was responsive too, due to it’s throttle per cylinder configuration. Smashing the 160hp down to the rear fat 225mm wheels, they sure did a good job on putting in the tarmac all the power. 1.25tons, 0-100km/h 7.5s and a top speed of near 230km/h. Nice tuned long gearbox, constant sporty feeling at the steering wheel, I hit the turns with all my confidence feeling the car gripping beautifully all along the road. The Macpherson set with progressive springs and gas dampers, finely tuned, gived this car a hell of a ride!

Superior dynamics, nice aerodynamics, it’s sharp and nimble. Cruising was a surprise too, good drivability, very comfortable and quiet, long 6th to rest the engine and contributing in this way to a mere 6.65lt/100km to the budget! Quite impressive! Joining low running costs to the recipe, it was a car that could do everything I wanted perfectly.

Do you accept wireless transfer, sir?

Fantasy mode off.

Congrats to the winner.

To be fair, the Micron is geared with a little overdrive in that 5th gear, and 6 would have put me over the budget. That being said, it is more a city car with an attitude problem than a sports car.

And, as well, congrats to the winner!

I had some good fun building a shitbox for this competition.
Congratulations Dragawn!

I like to give the bad/weird options.

that means I’ll never win.

I am good at game.

Congratulations Dragawn on an excellent entry and I hope you’re basking in the glory of sweet, sweet victory! :smiley:

Can’t wait to see what shenanigans Dragawn will have for us next round, :laughing: :sunglasses: :ugeek:

Always so close… I need to up my game next round :stuck_out_tongue: Congrats to Dragawn!

Very happy to be the winner of this round and to sell my car to 8bs! Thanks 8bs for all the reviews, must have taken awhile, and cheers to all fellow competitors, this tight budget sure was tough on everyone I think.
Anyhow, speaking of reviews, I’m not the most outspoken or detailed person, but I’ll try my hardest to give plenty of content as host for this round, although bear with me if the judging may take longer than a single day.

[size=200]Old vs Older[/size]

So, the year is 2017 and I’m looking to get my first car after years of saving up, I’m still a student, but soon I’ll graduate and have to get a job. I’d love to have a fun to drive, sporty car that can hold its own on a track, while being comfortable and “torque-y” enough to enjoy cruising with. I don’t need a very practical car yet, two seater is perfectly fine, although it would be nice, whilst entirely optional, to be able to transport atleast a small ikea building kit for when I need something in my dorm, or be able to carry a suitcase or two to go on holidays with.
However, as a young driver under the age of 25, insurance companies are a nightmare to deal with if you want anything sporty, and fuel costs can be killer.
Also a possibly important note for this challenge: nearly all forms of tuning are forbidden where I live (Belgium), thus you should assume that I won’t be able to alter the car.

[size=150]Approach 1:[/size]
A nice used car of 2010-2012 (model and trim year), depreciated enough to be affordable. This means a market price of roughly 22.000 Automation moneys as new (including profit margin).
[ul]
]With the insurance companies it’s safe to assume that they’ll be near impossible to deal with if I’d want to insure something that has over 160 hp, lower hp certainly will be appreciated when judging due to being cheaper to insure./]
]As you may have deducted the introduction, driveability and sportiness matter to me a lot./:m]
]Next to them lap times around Circuit Zolder (the nearest race track) do matter, although lap times matter less to me than the car being fun both on the edge and during the daily grind./:m]
]The car should be pretty reliable, I don’t want to visit a garage too often, let alone the wheels coming off if I take the car to a trackday or autotest, especially engine reliability* matters to me, rustproofing does too considering it’s an used car./:m]
]Keep it comfortable, although young I don’t have the greatest back anymore, having a snug driving position with some music and a suspension that doesn’t murder my spine on every bump is what I’m looking for./:m]
]Safety should be above 40 in case I fck up./
:m]
]Please do keep the tyre dimensions* quite realistic, Automation allows for some crazy low tyre profiles, but try to keep it above 40./*:m]
]Loudness below roughly 35, I wouldn’t want to wake the neighbourhood up if I get home late./:m]
]Last but definitely not least: low running costs, especially still as student they’re important. Fuel economy of 7.5L/100km or below is key /:m][/ul]

[size=150]Approach 2:[/size]
An older sportscar from 1987-1991 (model and trim year), once again needs to be depreciated enough to be affordable, I estimate that this means roughly 34.000 Automations moneys as new with profit margin included.
This is a lot harder to convince me with, thus the more risky approach, it probably can’t be my daily driver anymore once I get a job, and I will have to find another solution for that then, thus I won’t be able to enjoy the car as much. However, if the car turns out to be a dream, it can be worth the sacrifice.
Same preferences as approach 1 asides for these differences:
[ul]
]Being older than 25 years, a car can be registered as “oldtimer” here in Belgium. With its own specialized insurers, who are significantly less trouble to deal with, although they still probably wouldn’t want to insure a youngster with a car that exceeds the 0.2 HP/KG mark, lower hp will certainly be appreciated when judging due to being cheaper to insure./:m]
]reliability is very important, as is environmental resistance. The car will have seen abuse over the years, yet mustn’t let me down (too often)./:m]
]comfort is less important, although it still would be nice for it to be comfortable enough for a holiday/trackday trip./:m]
]practicality can fully be neglected now./:m]
]Not being my daily driver, the fuel economy can be worse, although preferably not above 11L/100km/:m][/ul]

Feel free to ask if something is unclear :slight_smile:
The deadline is 13 Feb at Automation midnight, I’ll try my best to get the results out at the 14th.

Entries accepted and reviewed:
[ul]
]carskick/:m]
]Vri404/:m]
]Leonardo9613/:m][/ul]

Entries accepted:
[ul]
]thecarlover/:m][/ul]

Also, I included the files of the Dragotec Sagitta from last round, if someone wishes to take a look.

[size=65]EDIT: being the first to share my car while this round having similarities with the previous definitely isn’t my one of my best diplomatic moves, I didn’t intend this to be used for this round, but merely for possibly educational/legitimacy purposes. Although ofcourse you’re entirely free to go modern MR if you do so desire.[/size]
Dragawn - Dragotec Sagitta.zip (97.5 KB)

With the way I work, what is the translation for fuel economy in km/L?

(I’m too lazy to change it.)

According to google, 11L is 21.4 MPG and 7.5 is 31.4 MPG.

EDIT: Removed quotation realizing he was asking for km/L.
Useful for anyone in the USA though.

7.5 l/100 km translates to 13.33 km/l and 11 l/100 km translates to 9.09 km/l :wink:

Sooo, rough translation from l/100km to km/l is about
20(km/l)-…(l/100km)

Anyway, congrats dragawn.

I was so close, soo close. Being a bit too afraid of over budgeting made me lost it. Thus the spfi engine. At the cost at fuel economy. Im sure i could’ve done better with at least mpfi.

Its also shocking how much di+vvl+turbo on a budget car. Also given the turbo and vvl reliability penalty, i just given up on turbo completely

20 km/l is exactly 5 l/100 km. You can enter the values into google to get conversions, though the l/100 km has to be entered without spaces. Basically, google “20 km/l in l/100km” and you get your answer. Most of the conversions can be done there, though hp/Nm and kW/ft-lb conversions aren’t available.

The 2012 Needle Production Cars Burleigh HardHead.

The Ad in the classifieds goes as follows, and translated from Belgian into English:

[quote]

-One Owner, Had Since New
-Former Import from the UK
-No Issues with car, just need to downgrade.
-Runs a 501hp Turbo’d Inline 6
-We got it to lap Zolder in 1:55.
-Took to Autobahn and got her up to 310km/h
-supposedly does 8.26km/l
-17,000 o.n.o.

Contact Dave on [Covered] or Anna on [Covered]
[/quote]

Edit: Changed pricing, as I realised that It’s still miles too expensive.

1 Like

Welcome to the Solo Motors Certified Used Car lot! Based on what you’ve been telling me, I have just the car for you…

The 2010 Solo Hare NM-4T, our mid-engined light sports car! Let me assure you that this single owner car has just been detailed and serviced to be as good as new, so consider this a bargain “new” car. It’s also a very reliable model, so while it is 7 years old, it can easily last you many more years with nothing more than regular maintenance. Firstly, the simple yet sporty design will make people think this is a much more expensive car than it is. It’s looks like an Alfa Romeo 4C or even , but it only cost 21,945 new! The quite high-tech for 2010 LED headlights and taillights keep this car stylish, even now in 2017. Open the butterfly doors, à-la McLaren, and inside you’ll find premium leather finishes, a standard stereo, and standard safety features. Extra care was put into these leather seats to assure support on the track and comfort for long drives. The trunk also has 255L of cargo space, so you’ve got enough room for some luggage there as well as in the small cargo space behind the seats. ABS, traction control, ESV, all are included and all can be disabled for use on the track. If you’d prefer a more vibrant colour than Dark Stormy Night, we also have an identical model in Lava Red currently being detailed. Or if you’re the more mysterious type, we have a Piano Black example on another lot I could have brought it.

Alright, I digress, let us return to the specs. It’s got an AHS steel frame, all aluminium body, double wishbone air suspension all around with adaptive dampers and active sway bars. The tires are your standard medium compound, 195 mm wide on 17" alloy wheels. It’s easy to get a sportier set on there for the track, so if you’re interested I could also show you our line of sport tires. Right, back to the car. For this low price, you have both a rear diffusor and active wing. That’s right, an active wing on a budget sports car, as well as cooling flaps and a fully clad underbody, all allowing very low drag for improved speed and fuel economy. All four wheels have vented disc brakes that will stop you from 100 km/h in 33.5 m with no brake fade!

Now, for the important features… The engine is an AlSi 20 valve DOHC 1.8L turbocharged inline-4 producing 226.4 Nm at 3500 rpm and 150 hp at 6300 rpm. Perfect for avoiding high insurance costs, right? And since the car weighs less than 1.2 tonnes, this is more than adequate. This is paired to a 6 speed single clutch sequential transmission driving the rear wheels. 0-100 km/h takes 6.7 seconds, top speed is 227 km/h, and it still manages 6.8 l/100 km If you ever decide to make the trip to the Nürburgring, be assured that the Solo Hare NM-4T can take you around the track in the low 9 minutes on the stock tires, and it could be even lower with one of the sportier sets of tires that I mentioned. It was also taken around the Top Gear test track in 1:29.77, faster than a Subaru Impreza STI, Porsche 911 Turbo, BMW M3, just to name a few.

So, are you ready for a test drive?

So you want a small, economical sports car? I can show you this Baltazar…

The 2011 Baltazar Zeppelin is the perfect car for a young driver who wants to have fun behind the wheel in an affordable and economical package, with it’s under $20,000 starting price and 16.3 km/l (6.13 l/100km) combined fuel economy. It is also perfect for the rational buyer, considering it’s outstanding reliability, low insurance costs and less than 70 emissions. However, it is a car mainly for enthusiasts who will love the mid-engined layout, all aluminium construction and sub 1100 kg kerb weight. It can also appeal for the seeking comfort, especially with the leather seats and standard CD/MP3 connectivity, the 16" wheels with 50 profile tyres and road-tuned passive suspension, and the quiet 1.95 DOHC all-aluminium engine, which can provide 140 hp, enough to get this light car to 100 in 6.9s and onto a top speed of 230 kph.

1 Like

lol dragawn. i could literally just slap another muffler on my last car here and call it done and it would do at least decently well :slight_smile:

but of course im not gonna do that :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“koolkei”]lol dragawn. i could literally just slap another muffler on my last car here and call it done and it would do at least decently well :slight_smile:

but of course im not gonna do that :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yeah, the timing is unfortunate since I’ve been wanting to do a challenge like this for awhile now, but you’ve got nearly twice or even thrice the budget as the previous challenge, so I suggest you put that extra money to good use :wink: