The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’m still against the winners being spoiled as long as we can finish this on the weekend.

3 Likes

My only arguement to that is that this is around the time one would’ve possibly set the deadline if this was the CSR 32, and would be onto posting the results by tomorrow. It is already bad that this took double the time, yet it would be exactly in time for next week’s round.

I’m sorry that I stretched this round to double the amount of time. Really am.
Though I’m certain that an abrupt cut is suboptimal.
The last straw would be to just post the favorites. But I owe everyone at least one review, and if the cut is preferred, it’ll go to its own thread.

4 Likes

I think to limit us from wasting any more of your time writing replies to our posts, just tell us how many reviews you’ve written, how many more to go, and whether we should expect you to have this all done by the end of the weekend, and the rest of us will have to do our best to leave it at that unless a vast majority decides to push the schedule.

6 Likes

Fully finished reviews: 7 from the first post, 5 in the last, 3 freshly baked in the oven with one being… how the heck did I write two pages on that one car. I really have to restrain myself. Thus…
there are 8 to go, at least half of which I have already thought out the plot for already.
The pictures actually take the least amount of time, so you can still look forward to them.
Now, an entire day to wrap this up which also isn’t occupied by weekend shopping or anything. I would have to be pessimistic or horridly lazy to say that it’s impossible. Even then, I have already prepared for the worst case: it’s in a message right to you, @strop
I have awoken. Back to writing with lots of Jazz!

3 Likes

Alright, 4LGE, my man, the time has come to prove yourself. You have 12 hours left. It’s awesome that you people are so supportive but I’m suspecting now that I speak representing a majority now: at this point it will be better to finish up the round than to focus on delivering a review for each and every car or engaging in a deep storyline. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, the reviews have been very entertaining but now, I think, stretching to allow more time will give diminishing returns for an increasingly annoyed community. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, but at this point I’d strongly suggest you focus on finishing the round on time even if that means simple bullet form reviews for the last round of entries to keep the CSR going and keep your reputation intact :laughing:

Having said that, I know I’m relatively new to the CSR myself so please don’t take it as me being arrogant, and if I’ve overstepped my bounds, I apologize. Please don’t take it personally. Cheers!

10 Likes

Now this is large enough that it should be split into at least two portions. Here comes the semi-final part of reviews!

Venue 1: London, semi-final part

A: “We have waited many minutes. No one who would open the car arrived.”
C: “I suppose we can wait later on this one. And it’ll be about time some more of the continentals show up. Maybe we’ll find another V8 among them! Jacques, I really want to show you what intrigues me about that kind of engine and why it could find common use in automobiles.”

Exhibit 13: Smooth “Britt” (@AirJordan)
_A and C approach the stand, from the rear end.
C: “The last stand of this aisle is just around here. And, that is a car in a lovely colour I haven’t seen before.”
A: “Really, we have not seen dark green?”
C: “It’s not green, it’s dark teal.”
A: “Looks simple from rear. What is…”
C: “Except for those accentuating lines, and… ohh, they are on the rear guard plate, in chrome!”
A: “Chic! But, what is with this holes?”
C: “Holes? Pardon me if I’m wrong, I can only guess that they were to hold additional taillights. Why does it look like a duct and is protected by a mesh, though? Is this car challenging me to unravel its mysteries, too?”
A: “You think this is diesel?”
C: “No. Not yet, at least. But if the tach screams scarlet at 3000, then I think we might have another diesel! We will see.”
A: “Those lines are on the roof, too!”
C: “I see. I begin to think that these and the chrome fins are on this car to somehow guide the air stream. And these are reverse-opening doors! I much appreciate the use of reversing doors!”
A: “Let us look now what is the engine, there is a sign board there!”
C: “That is very thoughtful of them to put the signs out for us journalists, too!”
C and A walk towards the sign, successfully ignoring the front on the way there.
C: “So, this Smooth Britt here is a commute.”
A: “You are neither smooth nor… a commute?”
C: “Neither do I come from the Brittain with two T. Anyhow, the power comes from a 2 litre V8 with a rod-actuated overhead valvetrain producing 82hp. Hold on, it has…”
C finally takes a look at the front.

C: “What is this thing? And why does it…”
A: “Novel!”
C: “I don’t think this is how a car is supposed to look like, with this singular big headlight. And the little lights that look just a bit too small in comparison.”
A: “Still chic! This is a true future!”
C: “Prepare for the future, it at least comes with V8 engines. Look, let’s ask whether the sir over there is this stand’s guide.”
C: “Kind Sir! Jameson Clarke, Journalist. Me and my French colleague here, Monsieur Jacques Avril, would like to know and see a few details about this car here.”
H walks over to the car and opens up the bonnet immediately.
H: “Sir, see, this is a V8, with carburettors. No, that means it’s not a diesel!”
A: “So this has been asked before, Monsieur?”
H: “Every last journalist seems to draw an analogy to some modern diesel locomotives because of that large headlight on the nose.”
C: “Honestly, we thought it could be a diesel due to different reasons. Anyway, it’s good you show us the engine! I wanted to talk about what makes a V8 an intriguing configuration.”
H: “Sir, I can elaborate: First of all, the number of cylinders means less stress on the components of each independent cylinder, and this already allows for greater power potential. The configuration also allows for a manifold setup that optimally distributes the fuel mixture between the two banks. The V-shape can also be made more compact than a comparable straight configuration. But especially, it sings like a baritone, and is as smooth as a gentleman.”
C: “I couldn’t have described this better.”
H: “You’re welcome. Would the gentlemen like to see the interior?”
As of then, the noise of engines could be heard entering the venue.
C: “Much appreciated, but I hear it’s about time to get moving. Have a great day, sir!”

Exhibit 14: Bayerische Automobilmanufaktur “Paginza 625 Longtail Concept” (@Der_Bayer)
A: “Here some vehicles have arrived. Many people here.”
C: “At the other end of the venue, of course. Now some have come before us.”
A: “Come later?”
C: “Not possible, we’ve only got that day. Let’s try to at least get a view on this car.”
Suddenly, they notice a familiar fellow getting dragged away by policemen.
F: “Ty skurwiel!” As he attempted to resist arrest
P: “Mister, I only telly you once to keep calm and stow your dirty mouth!”
As then, the little crowd dissipated into all directions.
A: “I think we have seen this guy before. Someone else angered him? But why is he the one arrested?”
C: “Well, remind me to also do research about the arrests, as they also make for excellent little articles.”
A: “You were responsible for one!”
C: “Wasn’t it you who made it possible to him?”
A: “Touché, and I do not use this word properly.”
C: “But I get it. Good thing the crowd’s cleared.”

C: “My, that is a true beauty. But why were they all leaving? What is…”
A: Sniffs “Eugh!”
Someone from further back of the stand approaches with a swab and bucket. She noticed A and C and spoke up:
H: “I’m sorry, I have to clean zhis up first. It should be ready for viewing soon.”
A: “Madame, what has happened?”
H swabs up a puddle both A and C haven’t noticed before.
H: “You have seen zhat arrest? Zhat man zhat got arrested came over here and urinated on our car!”
She then briefly interrupted what she was doing and pointed to the back, where a man with a shiner on his eye is being brought a wet cloth.
H: “Karl over zhere tried to stop him, but zhen zhe man punched him! Zhey fought until police arrived.”
H takes a rag out of the bucket to clean the area around and below the handle of the left door.
C: “I’m sorry for what had happened, Lady. That man has received his just deserts for pissing on such a handsome vehicle! Even though… nah, honestly, I don’t mind.”
[spoiler]A whispers to C: “What does ‘just deserts’ mean?”[/spoiler]
H: “It is okay. Äh… what does ‘just deserts’ mean?”
C: “It means ahem, it means some thing or treatment that one has righteously deserved for something.”
[spoiler]A coldly whispers to C again: “Both have got their ‘just deserts’…”
C: “What is up with you?”
A after demanding C to face away from the car: “This is from Germany. The German must have been aggressive to the Polish guy!”
C: “But why’d you think that? Why hasn’t the German back there been arrested along the Pole, then?”
A: “They did not think that he must be guilty!”
C: “Honestly, Jacques. They don’t seem aggressive to me, and it’s not like the war is over and their country under occupation. I rather think that the Pole just had a hot temper. I should know. Some stands before, he just threw his swab when I… Oh.”
A: “See, that Polish did not like when you even mention that country! May be there was something in background before.”
C: “You know it may just be general war time events. But we will investigate whether there was something more personal… but later! Now, I have a beautiful car to investigate now, which hopefully doesn’t smell anymore!
A: “Fine. But I will not participate. Look with discretion.[/spoiler]
C approaches the car again, asking the Lady who just finished cleaning up the lower door arches and started to swab the floor again.
C: “Who will present the car here?”
H: “I will! Just a moment, or do you want to see zhe engine? It is a strong straight 6 engine!”
H reaches into the car below the dashboard, the bonnet kicks open.
H: “Zhe BAM Paginza 625! Come take a look!”
C: “Gladly, fine Lady!”
H opens up the bonnet to find an engine that actually fills a good amount of the long compartement. It reads ‘BAM 625’ and ‘Vier-Ventiler’
H: “Zhis motor has 2.5 liters capacity and makes 157 PS. I mean, hp.”
C: “You know these things, dear Lady?”
H: “I like zhis car, so I should know!”
C: “That is intriguing! So, can you tell me some more about the engine?”
H: “Of course! Zhis engine has two nocken… cam shafts, and each cylinder has four vents. Und it goes close to six-tousand RPM!”
C: “6000? That’s astonishing!”
H: “But only close. We go to 5900 maximum, else zhe vents go kaputt.”
C: “Ahahaah! That is lovely! I mean, these details.
H finishes up the cleaning work. In this moment, C is intrigued by the apparently covered headlamps.
C: “What is with the headlights? Where are they?”
H: “Hands off, lieber Herr, and look.” H reaches into the car and pulls a lever. The covers flip and reveal a set of lit lamps.
C: “MARVELOUS! Simply marvelous! That is one-of-a-kind engineering!”
H: “And zhere’s more where zhat came from! You can enter zhe car now, I just bring zhis away.”
C enters the car with curiosity while the H brings the cleaning equipment away.
C: “Now glad the stench of urine has been replaced by that clean sour smell soap leaves. The seats are all reich, ehh, right, seatbelts are present even on the rear bench, I see, and that’s…”
H: “I am returned Did you know zhe car is made out of aluminium?”
C: “Proper! Should be light enough, then! I’ve also noticed this has a radio here.”
H: “You can turn it on!”
C turns the radio on. It began playing static first.
H: “Ohh, zhe channel is out of range. But you can tune it to anozher frequency!”
C: “Ok…” As he turns the knob, and eventually found a station playing patriotic…
R: “Lord make the nations see, - That men should brothers be, - And form one family, - The wide world over.”
C tunes away from the station and turns the radio off.
C: “Now, thank you very much! I highly regard this vehicle, and the men behind this car have done good for choosing you to present it, dear Lady!”
H: “Zhank you for zhose kind words!”
C: “You’re welcome! Take good care, and farewell!”

Exhibit 15: Baltazar “EP1 730S” (@Leonardo9631)
C meets up with A again at the next stand.
A: “Have I missed much?”
C: “God Save the King! Playing in that German car you refused to regard.”
A: “It had a radio, and you would put it to such a station?”
C: “It was a curious but hilarious accident! Jacques, you’ve missed a truly splendid continental. It being a concept car would unfortunately mean that I might not afford to get or run one, but it lifted my hopes for the others.”
A: “Good. But here. This here is a commute, from ‘across the pond’.”

C: “The states?”
A: “Brazil.”
C: “Brazil? They even know how to make cars there?”
A: “Yes, this is made by Baltazar, the EP1, and it is not even bad. Just has a 728cc 4 cylinder with 27hp. But, what is good is that it is produced, and it is in-expensive. Five seats are present, and they have said it uses only little fuel. And, it has seat belts for front seats.”
C: “That’s something I didn’t expect of a former Portuguese colony, now that development is good news!”
A: “Jameson, Rio de Janeiro was capital of the Portuguese, for some time! Brazil has an interesting history. You can…”
C: “Jacques, the car.”
A: “Ah, yes, move here, look. This has reversing doors for front!”
C: “They’ve attached both doors on the B-pillar!”
A: “Yes, and I do not think it should work. The doors could collide!”
C: “I would think they’d have come up with a solution for that already, since you’ve said it is a production vehicle as of now. This is rather ingenious, otherwise.”
A: “What do you think of the couleur? I like it.”
C: “Cyan! That is a refreshing colour, could compare it with the brisk Holland-orange of the… Orange. Otherwise, nifty design, not overstated.”
A: “Agreed, but the rear is… a little void. But the boot is easy and grande.”
C: “Huh, let me have a glance… Jacques, it doesn’t need more. Well, not much more, at least, but a little. But the boot sure looks like there’s a large void inside.”
A: “Want to have a better look at it?”
C: “Well, since you have gone on and had a good look at this already while I lavished about the Paginza, I suppose we’re done here.”
A, as they both head away: “Bien! Ehh, what is the ‘Paginza’?”
C: “That German continental we… I had the pleasure to review. The fine Lady was surprisingly apt at explaining details about the car!”
A: “The Lady…”

Exhibit 16 and 17: Solo “Velociraptor CC” (@thecarlover) and Icarus “Continental” (@strop)
C: “And it’s also the colour scheme that I found very enticing! An elegant mix of soft marine blue and cream white sides.”
A: “I have seen it. But I did not want to, and you are knowing why.”
C: “Come on, give them a chance! The times they are a-changin’. We may even see a United European Commonwealth, who knows?
A: “I do not think we or you can give up all pride for our independant nations.”
C: “Oh I’d like to know where your folk’s pride was when you embraced…”
A threw a warning expression at C.
C: ”, anyway, the next stand, here we go. Actually, these two stands are in close proximity. I think we can have a look at both of them.”
A: “I look at the one in argent.”
C: “That’s silver, is it? I’ll gladly have a look at the green coupé.”
Both part their ways to have an independent view at the cars. A approaches the Solo stand.

C took a scenic tour around Icarus’ exhibit

After taking note of the little statistics, one could see Jameson requesting the bonnet to be opened with him looking then quite surprised at the engine, and intrigued after the helper explained some more things while pointing to the rest of the car.
Jacques meanwhile looked just mildly excited upon checking the silver car out. However, he was interested when he looked at the statistics board, and the interior also enticed him good enough that he requested to have a seat.
Just a while after, Jacques heads over to Jameson, the bonnet of the ‘Continental’ still open.
C: “Welcome back! Just in time!”
C gestures to a helper of the Icarus stand.
C: “ Thanks for the good explanation, Sir! Now Jacques, have a look at this very reasonable unit, a 3.2 litre straight six with an overhead cam valve train, that actuates two valves per cylinder via rockers!”
A: “Jameson! The car I had looked at has alike! But is with 3.5 litres!”
C: “What a coincidence! But does it also run on regular leaded petrol?”
A: “Non. But it has 145hp.”
C: “This one has 115hp, which is I think definitely enough. Now also consider that it is also not constructed like a one off race car but still all sleek, and you have yourself something sporty that one could afford!”
A: “Does it also have a radio?”
C: “Did yours?”
A: “Yes, and a much well made interior.”
C: “No radio in this one, but not something that is bad. The interior looks good, with possibly necessary safety.”
A: “That… silver vehicle, it does not have paint, it is blanc aluminium. You know the suspension of this car?”
C: “Sir?”
H: “Independent all around, Gentlemen. Twin wishbones for the front, trailing arms on the rear. We even were elaborate enough to galvanise these components to make them resist corrosion.”
A: “Mon Dieu! These two vehicles are like… frères!”
C: “That was… it’s brothers, Jacques. Could say so, but still different. But from what I heard of the vehicle over there, I dare to say this little brother is the smarter and less spoiled one of the two.” As C is gently tapping the engine’s head.
A: “And this over there is the stronger one.” A points over to the Velociraptor
C: “So that makes it the bigger brother, then. Does he look the part?”
A: “Grande chrome grille, grande chrome side grilles, grande chrome stripe on bonnet, grande structure. And has reversing doors you like so much!”
C: “That’s grand! Well, would’ve liked a look then. But have a look at this rear side here.”
A: “Oh!”
C: “And the best thing is, even though that Icarus here may have less power than the, what was it again?”
A: “‘Velociraptor’”
C: “Yes, it might have less power than the Velociraptor, but it’ll still be nippy enough to show off these very forward tail lights!”
H: “After hearing of our company and our philosophy, I would like to ask the Gentlemen whether or not you would like to see this car in production?”
C: “Sir, Absolutely! Definitely! I would very much like to see your company strive! You are pioneering the British automotive industry with this!”
A: “Ehh, I guess.”
H: “Splendid! I thank you for your appreciation. Well, is there anything I might still be of assistance for?”
C: “Not much more. Me and my colleague have to get going, since… Dear lord, Jacques, just look at the time!”
A: “What is with the time?”
C: “It’s nearly time for a tea!”
A: “Eugh… Jameson, the venue is closing soon!”
C: “Bugger!”

13 Likes

Now I hope I covered up the more hurried style in this quite nicely with a plot element!

Venue 1: London, final part

[spoiler]H: “Sir, may I provide a glass of white wine to aid your task?”
C: “Much appreciated, Sir!”
A: “You seriously are not thinking this helps?”
C: “Don’t worry, it’ll only be a glass!”[/spoiler]

Exhibit 18: Valiant “Boris 1.6” (@Microwave)
A: “Why we have talked so much about all vehicles before?”
C: “Because we like them, each of them! Now, look at the stand over here!”

C: “I would like you to read the specification signboard while I write down the notes.”
A: “Oui, This is the Valiant Boris 1.6. It has a 1.6 litre engine”
C: “Finally something that is self-explanatory… well, next to the Icarus Continental, which I would really like to purchase.”
A: “Jameson! It is a push-rod actuate overhead valve 4 cylinder, and it makes 51hp.”
C writes on the note, while mentioning: “Why do we even care about the power on the commutes? It’s really not like people nowadays care about the power unless they want a performance vehicle…”
A: “Jameson…”
C: “Yes, Jacques! We care! We care about this here vehicle also looking like a fish that has been squished from the front! We care about it even featuring chrome ‘gills’ situated at the doors!”
C still walks around having an inspired look at his face.
A: “Jameson!”
C: “It even features tail lights that protrude like fins! That is a mighty fine back this car has there!”
A: “Jameson, you do really go all that way to compare a car with a fish?”
C: “YES! We care that the car is of tasteful maritime nature! And we care that the indicators at the front are very intriguingly formed like thin whiskers to the grille. This is it, this car is a catfish.”
A: “Mon Dieu… this is a commute, Jameson!”
C: “I know, and it is a valiant effort of being a commute.”
A: “I fear you do need your tea, Monsieur Clarke”
C: “As such, we may head off now onto new voyages and impressions of continental cruising vehicles! Farewell, Boris! It was an honour to behold your magnificence!”

Exhibit 19: JHW “Excelsior” (@JohnWaldock)
C: “And here, I witness in the distance, the fanciest white steed possibly present on this venue!”

C: “This truly must be the father of all continentals!”
A: “It has a very nice designed grille. The colour is much elegant.”
C: “Agreed! Now, stats, Jacques!”
A: “Say please, at least!”
C: “Please, my cher confrère!”
A: “This is the JHW Excelsior. Marketed as continental. It is displayed with the JHW I6-3400 engine, makes 121hp out of close to 3.4 litres of displacement, utilising twin cams with 2 valves per cylinder.”
C: “Why not twin cam with three valves per cylinder?”
A: “Ehh, don’t ask me this. But yes…”
C: “That is a long bonnet. And there is not a lot there for highlights except for the grille!”
A: “It is like this vehicle is of simple elegance.”
C: “Yes! Yet characterful and… frustrated. It looks frustrated! Like a man in a crisis, demanding strong alcoholic booze.”
A: “No more alcohole!”
C: “No more. He used to be the grand award winning white running steed. But, that is no more. So he thinks about spending his sunset years in a comfy garage, because no more is he the great white running steed. No more, not any more.”
A: “NON-SENSE! Jameson, take a look at the door handles, and where they are…”
C: “Not any more a mighty white running steed, but still a white steed with spirit, a white steed that invites with open arms.”
A: “Eugh… why did the Monsieur from the Icarus-stand give you wine… Let us progress.” A looked into the car as he passed by. “Ou! Fine interieur!”

Exhibit 20: “Panther X12” (@TheElt)
A: “Jameson, look, the next vehicle!”

C: “You knew what Henry Ford once said? One can have their Ford every colour they’d like, as long as that colour is black.”
A: “It is named Panther. That is fitting. Ohh, and you know where the producer is from? Newcastle! Is Britain, right?”
C: “Yes, is great! What does this car hold? SIIR! OVER THERE!”
H: “Yes, Yes! I hear you loud and clear, mister. No need to shout.”
A: “Eh, Monsieur! Pardon, we are on little time, and this is my colleague Monsieur Clarke. We may have a look at this vehicle?”
H: “Ah! Come along, there are more or less many things that could intrigue you.”
A: “… The bonnet, it is with a grille?”
H: “This is the intention. We thought, instead of catching the air right at the front for cooling, we instead just let the airstream on top of the bonnet catch the hot air dissipating from the radiator! We’ve also needed a lot of cooling for what is beneath it. Just hold on a minute as I unlock the bonnet. You may look at the rest of the car, for the while!”
C: “Fine! Ahh, those are… large wheels. No, large tyres! Why are they so large?”
A: “That is bizarre.”
C: “That inside is just bog standard! I thought this is a real flagship cruiser of the empire!”
A: “The lights at the back are chic! Jameson! Be calm.”
C: “I hope for you that the engine is the best on this entire venue if I want to accept you as a fellow Brit!”
H: “Be my guest, sir. The bonnet is open.”
C: “Beware! This is the moment of truth!” As C lifts the bonnet.
After a brief view, C lowered the bonnet, confusion expressed on his face.
_C raises the bonnet in a second attempt, just to lower it once again. He now glanced at the Helper and then Jacques, disconcerted.”
C: “Jacques, I am not sure what I am seeing here.”
A grabs the bonnet and keeps it up, looking at the engine and then the Helper.
H: “This is an engine we’ve taken from a plane. Don’t worry, much expertise and fine craftsmanship went into the entire car to ensure we’d meet requirements.”
C: “This is real?”
H: “As real as your eyes are, Sir. This is a 10 litre V12. It has fourty-eight Valves total.”
C: “This… The power, Sir?!”
H: “Three-hundred ninety-nine of the best ponies.”
C: “My Lord!”
A: “Mon Dieu!”
H: “That’s why these tyres are that large. Else there would not be any hope on earth to get that power on the road.”
C: “There is no such thing as too much, eh?”
H: “Indeed.”
A: “Thank you very much for this… super-vehicle!”
C: “Yes, thank you for elaborating. 10 litres… this is mind-boggling.”
H: “You’re welcome!”

Exhibit 21: GSI “Populo” (@oppositelock)
C: “The big question is just HOW they’ve gotten the resources together to make such a monstrosity?!”
A: “Hold here, we should get to a finish. This here must be more reasonable”

C: “Yes, Yes. Will you just read the signboard or ask someone to elaborate?”
A: “Helper is occupied with other journaliste. Let’s look and see. GSI Populo, 1.6 litre displacement. Hey, Jameson! V8.”
C: “Open the bonnet!”
A opens the bonnet on the front to…
C: “Nothing?”
A closes the ‘bonnet’
C: “With this grille, it looks a bit like a fish with fangs, and the headlights don’t make anything better there!”
A: “You would have called that ‘understatement’ before.”
C: “I like fish! Don’t get me wrong, dear Frenchie!”
A: “Jameson…”
C: “I’ll just look for the engine now myself!” As he promptly opens the right hand door, then awkwardly laying into the car because the driver’s seat is at the other side.
C: “Here we go! Now…” Both walk over to the rear.
A: “This is also a simple design. But with grille!”
Just then, C lifts up the rear bonnet to reveal the engine.
C: “Yes! Most intriguing! A rear mounted V8! Jacques, what did it read for the power?”
A: “Above 82hp!”
C: “Great Scott, the Populo could be sporty!”
A just has a glance below the car to confirm C on that.
A: “Yes! Has that wishbone suspension all around!”
C: “Splendid!”

Exhibit 22: “Duo” (@koolkei)
A: “Now, we are almost back to the entry. There are, what are those vehicles there?
C: “That is a submarine!”

C: “A yellow submarine!”
A: “No, this is the ‘Duo’. Italian?”
C: “The Italians have done a good job on that thing.”
A: “Not sure if this is of Italy. No stand helpers here any more. But, it is a commute, has a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder with advanced single overhead cam with rocker-actuated valves.”
C: “Darn good Italian job!”
A: “Selling features: 8 seats and removable roof!”
C: “To let the Italian sun in while the sunny yellow van smiles through the sunshiny day. This is a collegial leisure cruiser of a mellow yellow submarine!”

Exhibit 23: “AutoCamion” (@LordLetto)

A: “Over here, Jameson. This is…”
C: “A Yankee’s utility cruiser!”
A: “Not quite, it is in advert on the sign the “AutoCamion”, a ‘Luxurious continental’ with a 4.3 litre V8 using a single overhead cam rocker actuated valve train, with four valves per cylinder, for a total of 32 valves.”
C: “I’m glad that those numbers have already been beaten by a British car!”
A: “The engine makes 128hp out of… ‘goat piss’. What is that kind of fuel?”
C: “Don’t ask me, but it sounds like it is lousy. The fuel, I mean! What else does the Yankee offer?”
A: “What does ‘Yankee’ mean?”
C: “That is a long story in our history, too long to elaborate on now!”
A: “Well, the Yankee, I mean, Camion… I like the front.”
C: “Call me crazy, but It has something sleek. That is until the part where it becomes a lorry! And I’m pretty sure ‘luxury’…”
A: “That is good interior, but I remember, the French car is close, if not better!”
C: “Well, if that isn’t a full suite with radio in here… But why? Which purpose does this car-lorry serve? I don’t think many people wear their best clothes when ploughing a field!”

From the corner of the eye, a guard approaches
G: “Gentlemen, may I urge you to leave the area? We are closing off the site for today.”
A: “We can.”
C: “Ow come on! At least let me ramble about this thing here.”
G: “Sir, you have to leave.”
A: “Come on, Jameson.”
Both now head outside. But looking back at the site and peeking through a window, they have noticed a car they have not yet looked at.
C: “That is another elegant blue car if I have seen one! Jacques, my good French, we have to get back inside!”
A: “Tomorrow. Tonight, you should go home, you are drunk!”
C: “It’s best reviewing when drunk!”
A: “Don’t forget your notes. We meet tomorrow, same time?”
C: “The look can not get better, the venue is empty!”
A: “And we can’t get in!”
C: “Touché! Now then, we will see tomorrow!”
A: “Farewell!”
C: “You fare well!”

EDIT: BONUS REVIEW!

C: “Good day, Jacques! How have you been?”
A: “I have been asleep this night. And you?”
C: “Hah! No, not all too well rested. And that’s not due to the wine, either!”
A: “Admit!”
C: “No, really! Just my usual insomnia. Have you spotted the blue vehicle we’ve missed yesterday?”
A: “Have not entered. We wanted to look for the arrests, also!”
C: “Right! Good you reminded me. But I’ll have a look at the car first! It’s been itching me all night! Let’s head right in, shall we?”

Exhibit 24: Howler “Rogue A6” (@HowlerAutomotive)
A: “It should be here.”
C: “But it’s not! I mean, the stand is here. At least I don’t think we’ve reviewed a Howler Rogue yesterday.”
A: “But, no vehicle.”
C: “There’s got to be someone around to tell us about the whereabouts of the car! It can’t just do a vanishing act!”
A overhears some talking behind the curtain, as he and C walk around the empty stand.
H1: “The muffler! Of all things it would ruin the muffler!”
A and C approach towards the source of the voices.
H2: “It could be worse! At least the oil pan wasn’t hit, or else there would’ve been an even larger mess.”
C to A upon hearing that and having a peek behind the curtain: “There!”
The marine blue coupé was right there. The bonnet, situated at the rear, was still opened up, a muffler with a broken off connecting pipe laying beside it.
C bluntly enters the site “Gentlemen? Excuse our sudden entry, we were intrigued about the whereabouts of this here vehicle, and overheard something about the muffler?”
H2: “Oh just fine! Gentlemen, witness our predicament. Upon shunting the vehicle to the platform, a rear wheel dropped off the stage and destroyed the muffler beyond repair.”
H1: “We have requested delivery of a replacement, but it’ll possibly take another day until arrival and affixation. We’d be much obliged if the kind sirs can overlook this current defect for this inspection, until rectification.”
A: “Inspection?”
C: “I see. But no worries, we are not here to scrutinise. Jameson Clarke, and this is my colleague Jacques Avril.”
A: “Bonjour!”
C: “This was the only vehicle we couldn’t review in time. I hope it’s acceptable to you to have us catch up on it despite its condition?”
H2 moves the parts of the broken muffler out of the way and starts the presentation.

H2: “Very well. This is the Howler Rogue A6. It would’ve been all within the regulations to be a people commute, utilising proven production methods and sporting a 2 litre single overhead cam 6 cylinder engine, with two valves per cylinder actuated via rocker arms. I tell that because we are confident that this could be the fastest commute, if it wasn’t for the broken muffler.”
C: “It is unfortunate that that’d happen to you. I hope the actual inspectors can turn a blind eye on that damage until you patched it up.”
A: ”What is the power?”
H1: “91.5 horsepower.”
A: “Ohh! That is high up there!”
C: “This sure would’ve had some potential! Now, may we see the interior?”
H2: “Here you go.” As H2 opens the passenger doors. “It’s not much, we know.”
A: “But has reason?”
H2: “Light, and inexpensive. Speed is key!”
C: “But looks crammed in there. Can you redeem that with your speed?”
H1: “On testing, we did go over 110 mph, but could go even more considering our carefully designed streamlined shape.”
C: “Hah! Now combine that with even more power at your disposal without that muffler blocking the exhaust!”
H2: “Eh, maybe heheh!”
C: “Thank you very much, kind sirs! We have all we need. Good luck on fixing your muffler-problem!”
Both H1 and H2: “You’re welcome!”

C: “Now, Jacques, your view on the design?”
A: “The front has a most aesthetic set of lights. I have seen some accents on the bonnet. The front one. Oh, and the sides are not blank, but has this large holes.”
C: “You know, since that vehicle was rear-engined, I think those were for cooling. Yes, I’m glad I have witnessed that intriguing vehicle, after all.”
A: “It had potential!”
C: “Very much! We’ll see if they get around the inspectors, though. I hope they do. So, Jacques?”
A: “Eh?”
C: “It’s time to become Detective Jameson Clarke.”

10 Likes

LOL! Keep it up!

Wonder how all the other cities will go

Given the circumstances that the nomination is very much due, the rating turns out to be a bit more subjective than I would’ve liked, since it turns out that I was simply too inexperienced to make a fair balance work with uneven numbers of commutes and continentals with the system I previously had in mind. As such, I will nominate at least three, based on the consideration of all “crowd resonance” from Amsterdam to Turin, evenly spread across the two categories to approximate even chances: 2 commutes and 1 continental will be nominated to win this round!

@Ornate I would’ve liked to also be elaborate on each city, but, as of yet, it is out of my scope, and beyond this thread’s frame. So, it has to be cut a bit shorter in this case.
If anyone more experienced is open to help me out, we could make it the large scale long duration challenge that it has the potential to be.

ONE TIME ACROSS THE CONTINENT
Authors: Jameson Clarke, Jacques Avril

As of today, the grand tour of the Transeuropean Express car exhibition departs from its last rated venue in Monaco. All entrants that have reached this destination have done so on their own power, passing through the venues at Amsterdam, Hanover, Constance and Turin, where the local public and a jury of engineers have rated the participant’s appeal and performance.
Most of the praise was received by three cars that couldn’t be any more different. The stage was very crowded for the commuters, but two prevailed as the people’s favourite for a commuter car.
One of these started out with a merely appreciative response from Amsterdam’s Venue. It was only in Hanover where that charming red coupé from the east has demonstrated its paradigm fuel efficiency. Engineers in Hanover also indicated that it is also really low on maintenance. It may not be very fast, even despite the good aerodynamic shape of the car. However, it is the premise that a very cheap price can provide one with a sleek vehicle that will remain light on your earnings for times to come.
Another commute which earned much praise has done so with a very different approach. It’s a small and round yet handsome little sedan which was quite convincing to the folk at Amsterdam with its great comfort and versatility. It has incredible fuel economy, considering what it is at heart, proudly wearing its chrome features. It did however not convince the engineers in Hanover a lot, suggestiing that reducing the amount of carburettors to two could improve the reliability on this model while reducing price, along a slight change in the gearbox in order to optimise power delivery. The red car was a surprise hit in Constance when it was recorded to reach a top speed of nearly 165 km/h, which is very good for a commuter. The engineers there have also noted that it could be even faster, since its silhouette is not highly obtrusive to wind. It did not quite win the venue in Turin, but it did however intrigue many that one could buy this much power for relatively little, and it is not even very expensive to run.
Finally, there were two continentals head to head on critical acclaim, both for different reasons. One was highly innovative and beats its main contender in speed and comfort, the other gets close in speed while only being constructed out of materials and methods feasible for large scale production. It was when an entrepreneur among the board decided the production feasibility of the latter should confirm it the winner, and that he’d invest immediately. It is still researched whether this was motivated by a hidden political agenda of the entrepreneur.
Two cars have been sent to Hamburg to depart prematurely, one grounded in unsafe steering behaviour, the other for almost crashing out on top of consuming almost 60% more fuel than tolerated. One commute has seen itself disqualified from its class for failure to convince the jury of its manufacturing process’ scaleability.
We congratulate the designers, engineers and manufacturers behind the Krasny (@Ornate), Centuries (@Denta) and Continental (@strop): Velkolepy, Carlton and Icarus, for their well deserved awards!

If I must narrow it down to one definitive winner, it would be @Denta, as the Carlton Centuries manages to perform good on all requested fronts! Congratulations to you!

9 Likes

But… Who won?

And which one is the overall winner that hosts the next round…?

I’ll add this to my burgeoning trophy shelf of runner-ups :joy: (that’s like Eight in the CSR now). Good job getting there in the end.

2 Likes

Finally! This round has concluded satisfactorily and the right user (@Denta) has won, if only just. However, considering that he won CSR28, I’m not entirely sure if he will host CSR32.

Edit: It turns out @Denta won’t be hosting CSR32 after all; instead, @Ornate will, or at least he would have. The latter deserves to host a round after many months of futility. Well, he’s just passed on hosting duties again due to work commitments.

1 Like

i will pass since i want to enjoy my holiday without being stressed by something else

i’ll pass the honor to @Ornate since he never host a round before

btw, i feel my fuel millage pretty much average since it only manage 30MPG even with triple intake eco carb

2 Likes

Ok @Ornate, ball’s in your court. Just let us know because if you pass, I’m passing too. And then the host would have to pick a fourth place getter :joy:

Congratulations to the 3 finalists I’m looking forward to what @Ornate has in store :clap:

@strop before new round start i want address recent trend on this challenge, lately many people seems doesnt promote their car on this thread and just skip ahead by sending their entries to the host. let alone a picture that represent the competitors car, the ammount of ‘advertising’ seems keep decreasing in each competition.

i will admit i do this at least twice due my laziness and as former roundmaster i dont read really much about the car post due strict deadline because no one reinforce this rule anymore. but i think we need to reinforce this rules back to make this thread more lively instead people just discussing about when the review will came out.

8 Likes

Good point. It was originally a rule because we may have one buyer but I wanted us to create markets for a situation.

Perhaps it is acceptable to submit cars after submission closes and before reviews come out, but that would make things tricky and perhaps impractical. I do want us to remember that unlike phale’s KoTH challenge this is not about algorithmic stat maxxing even though due to the nature of Automation, it probably still mostly is :sweat_smile:

I have failed to submit blurbs for my car maybe once or twice myself because I simply ran out of time and some of the presentations here are insane with their fancy Photoshop Jobs that I once had time to do but really well and truly don’t right now. By all means don’t stop doing these, but don’t be discouraged if you can’t glitz your pitch.

2 Likes

well i dont mind about posting the cars submission after the deadline, it still count since the car not revealed yet.

for people that want to hide stats, just crop your image like my car submission post and show nothing but your car design. you dont have any obligation to reveal any numbers or features to other entrant.

3 Likes