The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

God dammit, I also built a trackday smart with a rev happy 760cc I4, but it’s FF. Getting any drivability higher than 0 is super difficult without using rear drum brakes is the problem I’m having.

you wanna duke it out and see who should proceed with a trackday smart? hell, if you want to back that horse I’m actually quite happy to go with another. It’s totally not like I’d be hosting another round for another year anyway :joy:

so i’ve got a V6, but really lacking throttle response :weary:

That’s what i am basicly going for.

cough cough

10 Likes

Oh for Christ’s sake, I was thinking about a track day Smart too from the times I enjoyed messing with that body.

Is 3 too many? I’m not even at a computer to mess with the idea…

1 Like

@Strop @Microwave @TheElt
RIP my good attempt to create diversity in the entries, I guess I’ll have to judge 20 freaking track smarts now.

9 Likes

hey I’m all for making something that’s cheaper, faster and comfier, except for the fact I know that my not-Smart’s gonna be the Smartiest smart motherfucking TRACK DAY BRO smart of the lot :joy:

5 Likes

I think we need a Smart racing series challenge now.

10 Likes

mine’s not a smart. because i value not rolling over in a slight breeze.

6 Likes

That needs to happen 100%!!

p.s. I gotta say, an FR Smart is not in the spirit of a Smart… but it is damn fast! (mainly coz I can fit a bigger V6 in it, and more powah…)

In the early 90s First Order Automotive looked into the muscle car market. After making a prototype the engineers and management laughed heartily and resigned it to “The Barn”.

A rebellious group of junior technicians, calling themselves Force Tuning International, removed the car and prepped it for the Japanese race scene. In 1996 the event didn’t take place, they weren’t invited back again.

We are offering a piece of history here. It has been resprayed, from the original black, and had a reliable engine fitted. Whilst it will no longer hit 211mph you can be assured that the engine will not explode, implode or fall out.

Top speed is still VERY fast. 0-62 is still VERY fast.

It’s not likely to kill you too easily!

We present the FTi Hellcat.

10 Likes

Well, you’d be in luck. Instead of owning a loud, obnoxious rev-bomb or a loud, thundering muscle car, you can buy this V6 family sedan with the soul and heart of a muscle car. Luke Sinistra’s selling it, though… He did say serious buyers only.

(Yes, the print at the very bottom is a joke. Luke Sinistra’s trying to discourage local hooligans in his area from ‘test driving’ the car for a good laugh. As for the fate worse than death, rumor has it there’s a chair in the break room with an old CRT television in front of it, where the only channel it picks up is a 24-hour infomercial suck-a-thon…)

(Also, you guys get to see my risky plan for this. That number’s the one the depreciation calculator spat out at me. I’m going for “cheap yet kinda good” in hopes that the car I half-made for HighOctaneLove’s challenge can still hold up here.)

11 Likes

Ooh, I just can’t help it with these super small smart cars. Sure, the engines are all <1L displacement, and budget hi rev engines aren’t reliable, but how does a redline of 11500rpm sound? It sounds like the Alfa 155 DTM tourer :grin:

2 Likes

I’m trying the same '96 Surge using the MR Ferrari body, with a 255hp V6 N/A, but it’s too slow, can’t get better than 1min 58s and I can’t make it lighter, so I probably need more power, again.

Also, it made me a little confused, a cheaper used car is better or worse?
I ask because with the money used to buy a brand new model was almost enough to buy 3 used ones from '96.

If you’re at half the budget, there’s probably more you can do to increase reliability or value. Older cars often have had a long life, something I’ll also consider. With a car from '96 you can get some great value, but I’d probably have to do a lot more maintenance than with a more modern car.

By the way, 1:58 is a frickin good time you know?

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity I sent a 500bhp super saloon around the track and it only managed a 1:57 so a 58 is a good time.
Edit: the 500bhp car I sent round was much heavier than what I expect is being built

i’m getting low 1:59’s with 180bhp. i WAS getting 1:56’s with a V6.

Did anyone broke the 1:50 mark because my times are somewhere in 1:50.50 - .60s